Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
i bought one of those karoke mics for my friend's kid for xmas lol.

i'm the cool uncle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Cat Hatter posted:

Was it an acoustic/electric? Because I'm just imagining a teenager jamming on a solid-body guitar with headphones turned up so loud the wearer's ears are bleeding from sound audible from three rooms away.

Lol, no, just an annoying endless strumming sound.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Safety Dance posted:

My sister took up electric guitar when we were growing up, and she became convinced you *could never* touch the settings on the amp, including volume, or you'd ruin the sound of the instrument. I bought her headphones and you could still hear her playing throughout the whole house, just not as obnoxiously.

As some one who has played 100+ shows lol. If we could plug into something ha. And she would be the same in the real world. But how is she in guitar any good?

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
You can hide a rescue whistle inside a gift card box. Or three...

My brother-in-law has triplets. He learned not to send glitter and sand art to my kids after the Great Safety Drill Christmas of 2004.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

PhotoKirk posted:

You can hide a rescue whistle inside a gift card box. Or three...

My brother-in-law has triplets. He learned not to send glitter and sand art to my kids after the Great Safety Drill Christmas of 2004.

I know a guy who worked for a music venue and rushed the stage one time when the band pulled out a bag of glitter. No way he wanted to deal with cleaning that up.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Lol good for him.

Alternately - "you ain't getting paid if you don't clean up your own loving mess"

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Anyone know what happened to reverselogic.us and the guy running it? They sold little niche specialty tools, lug guides, jack point adapters, that sort of things. I believe they were also a reseller for those foam ramps and various top-of-the-line jack stands.

Now it just looks like the remaining stock was bought out by someone else.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
Anyone have a recommendation for a battery powered vacuum? I have the M12 dustbuster-like vacuum, and it’s fine for touch-ups, but you really can’t do a good job with it. Mainly looking at it for car use. I don’t have a garage or easy access to 120v, so something that runs on one of the 18v systems would be best.

I have to clean out the heater box in my mom’s Celica - mice got in and they turned it into a cat food silo.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

0toShifty posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a battery powered vacuum? I have the M12 dustbuster-like vacuum, and it’s fine for touch-ups, but you really can’t do a good job with it. Mainly looking at it for car use. I don’t have a garage or easy access to 120v, so something that runs on one of the 18v systems would be best.

I have to clean out the heater box in my mom’s Celica - mice got in and they turned it into a cat food silo.

Interested to hear…I don’t think we are there yet. I have the M12 wet dry vac bc I was watching for it on eBay and got an open box for like $55. Super well made but my regular real m12 batteries maybe last 5-6 minutes in it each. Still not bad as I have 4 batteries and to use a real vac I’d have to drag out extension cords (car cleaning).

I saw a makita one that took multiple batteries at a time and I have so many good knockoffs that looked great - but I think it was just at a tool show not in production

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I have a makita 18V dust extractor vacuum and... it's OK. Annoyingly it doesn't attach well to my Makita router or circular saw which is why I got it.

I think in general more power is going to be better, it's fine for generally picking up sawdust or whatever but it would be great to have more oomph to get stuff out of nooks and crannies.

https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/XCV11Z

If there's a 2-battery version that would be great.

I also have a dirt devils (I think Shark in the US) upright rechargeable vac which is ok and has a spinning brush floor attachment. Not so good for cleaning cars but does an OK job of the house.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Oh hey they do

https://www.makitatools.com/products/tools/cordless/18v-lxt/dust-extraction/cordless-dust-extractors

Reading an article apparently there are variations between 36V models in terms of CFM capacity, the ones without HEPA filtering also flow better, and there are models that can be run off AC power as well as a the batteries.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

0toShifty posted:

I have the M18 Fuel Shop Vac, and it has quickly become my most used tool.
https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Vacuums-and-Fans/0970-20

Every job you do, be it around the house or in the shop, needs cleanup. I have a 9 ah and 12 ah from the chainsaw kit, and they will both run the vacuum for over 30 minutes. It is strong enough to hold it near the drill when making holes in drywall so you don't get dust. I haven't tried it on water, so cannot comment on that.

The only drawback is that I haven't gotten any of the bags, and the hepa filter needs to be banged out fairly often. This is just the nature of shopvac's , if you vacuum dust you need to keep it out of the filter somehow.
The accessory holders could be better, its under the top packout mount.
I don't have any other packout stuff, so I don't know how useful that is.

If you have m12 already, then M18 is natural as the chargers are dual, and you can sell your m12 only charger.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Milwaukee has dual-battery M18 shop vacs in nine- and 12-gallon sizes. I haven't used them, but I would expect good performance but short battery life.

I have a Ryobi cordless shop vac and it is fine. I can vacuum a car with it before the battery dies. I can't clean the whole shop, but that isn't what the thing is for.

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 22, 2022

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

What's the swaging tool for this kind of ferrule look like?

I bought this Iwiss tool but it made a mess of the figure 8 ferrule.

Edit: I think the swaging tool I bought is generally right, just too small for the application. Or maybe I'm just doing it wrong.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 22, 2022

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I used a big pair of bolt cutters. Worked pretty well as long as you don't cut all the way through. They make a specialty crimp tool that came with a kit I bought like this but honestly the bolt cutters did a better job.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Safety Dance posted:

Edit: I think the swaging tool I bought is generally right, just too small for the application. Or maybe I'm just doing it wrong.

I used the same style swaging tool but correctly sized. It's not pretty but it works and it didn't make a horrible mess, just not as nice as factory crimps. I got mine at home depot.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
It might not be proper, but I usually use a chisel of some sort to punch down in the skinny part of the "8".

Both sides.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

wesleywillis posted:

It might not be proper, but I usually use a chisel of some sort to punch down in the skinny part of the "8".

Both sides.

Riggers everywhere just correctively shivered.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
I had to deal with those once, I used a carefully calibrated set of vise grips to get easy repeatable crushing.

Edit: this was a field expedient kind of situation, not saying I did a good or right thing.

Frank Dillinger fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Dec 22, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

You are looking for a "duplex ferrule swaging jaw/tool" in whatever the size that is. http://muncyindustries.com/Catalog/5-cavity-swaging-tools.php

JFC do not listen to basically everyone above this post except for sharkytm.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
We bought Nicopress hydraulic tools for 3/8" wire rope for lifting applications. If this is small/light poo poo that doesn't involve people's safety, you can get away with "wire rope crimping tools " on Amazon. If it's anything safety-related (hand rails, anything overhead, anything over 20# basically), either borrow a proper tool from someone, or buy one. Cheaping out on wire rope tools is a quick way to get someone hurt or killed.

If it's tiny stuff, look at what's available for fishing gear. I crimp ferrules on 1/16" wire and 200# mono for making fishing leaders with a pair of Penn crimp pliers. 150+ pound tuna never ripped one out, nor did that size tuna getting torn on half by sharks.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe
With swage sleeves there is also a specific number and sequence of compressions that need to be made depending on the size. This article covers it: https://www.e-rigging.com/How-to-Select-and-Use-Swage-Sleeves

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

boxen posted:

Looking to buy a new set of ratchet handles, I already have some cheap ones to live with my car tool kit but I kinda want to get something nicer for the garage tools. This set seems good (and really cheap), and the 120-tooth mechanism sounds like it'd be really nice to have. I know Gearwrench is generally pretty great, does anyone have any experience with these before I pull the trigger?

https://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-81230P-Drive-Polish-Ratchet/dp/B00BTEXPDK

I pulled the trigger on a full set of Gearwrench comfy grip ratchets. Went with the 90 tooth for 3/8 and 1/2 but got the 120 for 1/4". I think the general consensus is more (smaller) teeth make tighter swing for tight spaces, but less strength. They have very little if any backlash.

I have no complaints other than I miss the quick release button from my old craftsman professionals.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
The new stuff (ratchets) is so nice but I have to admit there is something that I really like about an old rear end ratchet that has like 50 teeth and is loud as hell and sounds like a machine gun when you swing it back.

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010

blindjoe posted:

I have the M18 Fuel Shop Vac, and it has quickly become my most used tool.
https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Vacuums-and-Fans/0970-20

Have this as well, second the recommendation.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

sharkytm posted:

We bought Nicopress hydraulic tools for 3/8" wire rope for lifting applications. If this is small/light poo poo that doesn't involve people's safety, you can get away with "wire rope crimping tools " on Amazon. If it's anything safety-related (hand rails, anything overhead, anything over 20# basically), either borrow a proper tool from someone, or buy one. Cheaping out on wire rope tools is a quick way to get someone hurt or killed.

My wife bought a toy shelf for our son's bedroom that can't easily be secured to the wall, so the best solution I could come up with was the screw a bracket into a stud and use wire rope to wrap around the metal frame of the shelf. I think I've got it secure enough that he won't be able to pull it over by accident, but I'll revisit this and maybe use those u-bolt clamps when he starts being old enough to climb poo poo.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Safety Dance posted:

My wife bought a toy shelf for our son's bedroom that can't easily be secured to the wall, so the best solution I could come up with was the screw a bracket into a stud and use wire rope to wrap around the metal frame of the shelf. I think I've got it secure enough that he won't be able to pull it over by accident, but I'll revisit this and maybe use those u-bolt clamps when he starts being old enough to climb poo poo.

Safety wire? Or just some 12g copper?

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

sharkytm posted:

either borrow a proper tool from someone, or buy one.

My local West Marine sells wire and ferrules in all shapes and sizes and they have a nice workbench with a swager mounted to it, I always just use theirs. Maybe there’s a store near you similarly equipped?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

sharkytm posted:

Safety wire? Or just some 12g copper?

1/8" galvanized wire rope

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Safety Dance posted:

1/8" galvanized wire rope

I was suggesting using those, rather than the wire rope. You can twist the copper by hand and it'll be plenty strong. Safety wire and pliers would also work. Sorry for not being more clear.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Safety Dance posted:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Might consider buying a real shelf too

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

My FIL knows I’ve been borrowing a tap and die set, so for Christmas he found me a brand new vintage Craftsman set.

…It’s all standard. No metric. Everything I own is metric :negative:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Advent Horizon posted:

My FIL knows I’ve been borrowing a tap and die set, so for Christmas he found me a brand new vintage Craftsman set.

That stinks! But what a nice effort from him

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Advent Horizon posted:

Tell your spouse that this sort of incompetence is exactly what you expect since the tree wouldn’t be far from the apple.

Then spit on him or her

Merry Christmas ya filthy animal

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Advent Horizon posted:

Now you can retap anything to an SAE thread and make your cars unworkable. You can be the PO!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
call it "converting to standard" and now it sounds like a benefit

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Advent Horizon posted:

Applying TFR logic, the correct course of action is to acquire a vehicle that uses standard fasteners and fittings. I’m thinking sixties Jeep Wagoneer.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

MrYenko posted:

Applying TFR logic, the correct course of action is to acquire a vehicle that uses standard fasteners and fittings. I’m thinking sixties Jeep Wagoneer.

Anyone who doesn’t think this is the most correct option is a stick in the mud :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Reminder to only use your angle gauge on a perfectly flat surface or it may slip off and break.