Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

same person that didn't understand Wakkas story in FFX, right

e: oh, bad time to start the new page

the best FF (number nine) is available for 10 euros and fifty cents on Steam rn. Buy it and use the memoria mod to create a whole new experience for yourself. Super recommend it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Unfortunately I have the kind of brain that really prefers psx and earlier games at native internal res and crt filters. I suppose you can prolly jam a reshade layer to get the crt effect but it doesn’t really look right if the internal resolution is so high
I saw a friend use the memoria mod and it seems like some impressive stuff though

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

What about the Tales series? I've only played… two of them? Maybe one… Anyway, I remember enjoying it, but I don't know how it compares to Final Fantasy in the context of the original ask.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tales doesn't really reinvent itself as much as FF but it's probably not a bad comparison otherwise

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I got PC FF7R since it was on sale and have been very pleased that it runs at 120fps (which I suspected it might).

I kind of wish more games went FF7R's route of cutting a lot of corners in environment graphics while maintaining a very polished look to main characters/combat. Being able to run something at 120fps is far preferable to being able to have exceptionally good looking grass or whatever. You can lower settings in other modern AAA games, but they usually end up looking really lovely if you do so too much.

RME posted:

That dungeon was annoying but mostly for the gameplay reason of starting from scratch for a contained space, but the rest of this is you just being unable to infer context at all which is just pure skill difference.
Also this dungeon happens before the goodbye part too. CS2 definitely had a slight issue of basically having 3 endings back to back but once again this is separate from what you are actually complaining about

Also, the Zero games not being released in the West obviously would have had zero bearing on the developers' decisions when making the Cold Steel games, since they were initially being made for a Japanese audience. And it was just a dungeon at the end, so it's not like they required knowledge of Zero/Azure for the bulk of the game.

NieR Occomata posted:

Xenoblade is good (3 most so) but if what you’re looking for is like, real characters having real human emotions and being even somewhat clever steer loving clear of that series, everyone in it is some flavor of moron.

I would say also your best bet overall is the legend of heroes series, most notably trails of cold steel. Unlike the legions of YouTube explainers or vaguely smug super fans variously claiming that OHH NOOO YOU HAVE TO START WITH TRAILS IN THE SKY AND ALSO READ FAN TRANSLATIONS OF ALL THE UNRELEASED GAMES IN ORDER TO START HOW DARE YOU just start with trails of cold steel and go back to the other games if you really like it, you will be genuinely lost at points because the series makes fuckin’ zero attempts to even somewhat contextualize character introductions or moments and just expects that you’ve played 500+ hours of video games before starting this one, and some of its tie-ins to previous games are genuinely huge moments and not just cameos or asides, but honestly in my opinion that’s a failure of the game and series that it doesn’t do even the bare minimum of hand-holding when it introduces a past element. Cold Steel is the most modern, and the most modern feeling, and actually feels like a game that’s designed to be fun out of the gate unlike TitS which feels like twenty hours of studying and the slowest paced and most turgid plotting before it finally takes the limiter off.

Xenoblade 3 has dramatically better party member characters than any of the Cold Steel games IMO, at least when comparing its main party to the main party members of the Trails games.

Also, while I enjoy the Trails games (they peak with Zero/Azure IMO), I don't really like the combat in the Cold Steel games (particularly the later ones as it keeps adding more characters). And while I know some people like that sort of combat/character building, it's basically choice overload for me. I would like them far more if I only had to worry about a normal-sized party of characters. It's just too much to have to deal with the orbments/equipment for that many people + all the poo poo with master orbs/sub-orbs.

The one thing Trails does well across all its games is the broader setting (which is distinct from the actual game plots). It's very good about world-building and dealing with NPC characters. I also think it does party dynamic really well in the Zero/Azure games and Cold Steel 1 (less so the later entries). The main plots tend to be pretty goofy (which is why I don't mind TitS 1 being pretty low on main plot).

FrostyPox posted:

I really hope someone at Squeenix decides "let's give Orience another go" someday.

I feel like they really wanted Class 0's characters in particular to become popular, by including all the various idol archetypes among its members. But they just didn't make/market the game in a way that could achieve that.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 22, 2022

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

No Trails game even comes close to the quality of Xenoblade 3

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Is it just me or does Zack sound like Sonic

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwNdD1qlkME

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Also, the Zero games not being released in the West obviously would have had zero bearing on the developers' decisions when making the Cold Steel games, since they were initially being made for a Japanese audience. And it was just a dungeon at the end, so it's not like they required knowledge of Zero/Azure for the bulk of the game.

well it's not like Falcom expected its domestic audience to have all played the crossbell games either. People really attach to the translation barrier but like anyone that has made a larger work with discrete sagas in it they understand that people come in with the start of the sagas and not the start of the series. The difference is the cross promotion is easier because the product is already available, but even in something interconnected like trails they make sure to catch you up on anything relevant when it's needed, because that's the baseline you have to work with.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Every time I get to the part of FFVI where Celes and Cid are alone on the suicide island I tell myself I'm gonna let him die because its much more dramatic but I just can't bring myself to do it :negative:

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Type-0: Well after a load of cutscene content and wandering around the wilds, I tried Mission 5 which wound up being a huge difficulty spike. I underestimated it. I need to level up all of my bros a bit more. That's pretty much all I have to say. We're infilitrating Militesi HQ to destroy their huge Magitek Armor and I got like 10 dudes killed getting there and the armor made short work of what was left. I am severely under-levelled so I'm gonna go grind in the open world for a bit.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Wolfsheim posted:

Every time I get to the part of FFVI where Celes and Cid are alone on the suicide island I tell myself I'm gonna let him die because its much more dramatic but I just can't bring myself to do it :negative:

Let him die his hoodie is ugly

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I thought it was a raincoat with like, a bill

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Steal his look:

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

What are people’s opinions about the best final fantasy gameplay rebalance mod? I really, really like brave new world for ff6, but that, and a little bit of Free Enterprise for ff4 (also brilliant, but racing isn’t my thing) are the only mods I’ve played. How do the other big mods for other games stack up to brave new world in terms of party customization and play style diversity? Are there any standouts? I’m considering struggle for freedom, but I was a little disappointed by my first play through of ff12 years and years ago. Void Divergence for ff5 also looks interesting, but I only just saw it for the first time today. I want to take a break from SoP until different future comes out and am looking for something relatively meaty, but chill to play.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Theres a simple nes ff1 mod that makes the spells work

I think that ones good

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

mandatory lesbian posted:

nuZack 100% sounds like Sonic. I kind of like it.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Ultimate Omega confirmed. I'm sure most people called it, but still.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Heithinn Grasida posted:

What are people’s opinions about the best final fantasy gameplay rebalance mod? I really, really like brave new world for ff6, but that, and a little bit of Free Enterprise for ff4 (also brilliant, but racing isn’t my thing) are the only mods I’ve played. How do the other big mods for other games stack up to brave new world in terms of party customization and play style diversity? Are there any standouts? I’m considering struggle for freedom, but I was a little disappointed by my first play through of ff12 years and years ago. Void Divergence for ff5 also looks interesting, but I only just saw it for the first time today. I want to take a break from SoP until different future comes out and am looking for something relatively meaty, but chill to play.

FFVII New Threat is extremely good, minus the author loving around with the script to keep Aeris alive/make you kill her which I could inderstand being a dealbreaker for some. But mechanically it's fantastic, nearly all the changes are just elaborations on the base game's mechanics and the difficulty is increased just enough to keep an experienced player on their toes without going romhack hard

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

NieR Occomata posted:

Again though TitS feels less like a game and more like homework.

Oh man. I agree with this. There's a lot I really respect about the series and I'd love to give it another try in a few decades after I retire, when I can give it the focus and attention it deserves.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

No Dignity posted:

FFVII New Threat is extremely good, minus the author loving around with the script to keep Aeris alive/make you kill her which I could inderstand being a dealbreaker for some. But mechanically it's fantastic, nearly all the changes are just elaborations on the base game's mechanics and the difficulty is increased just enough to keep an experienced player on their toes without going romhack hard

Well that bolded part does sound distinctly terrible. I’ll definitely look into it, though.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Well that bolded part does sound distinctly terrible. I’ll definitely look into it, though.

It's just so you can keep her because each member has unique mechanics

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Is New Threat the one with thread favourite character Cait Sith replacement?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

CottonWolf posted:

Is New Threat the one with thread favourite character Cait Sith replacement?

No, there's other minor changes to the script but the only big one is the confrontation at the end of disc 1

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The Cait Sith replacement never actually happened in any mod, iirc. Some guy just said he would do it and got laughed out of the internet before doing a single thing to make it happen.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

That’s a shame. It would be much funnier if it existed to point and laugh at.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I’m sure some terminally-online member of the SE localization team will put an Iscar Matthias reference somewhere in the franchise eventually.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

FireWorksWell posted:

I've only played Scarlet Nexus, combat is too slow and deliberate to be aping DMC imo. And I've got the platinum in it but I can't recall a single horny moment. I don't think it even had swimsuit dlc (it just seems like that's common these days) but I could be wrong.

Game is definitely a weird rear end anime game though.

All the characters are stuck looking like they are 17 for ~reasons~

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

HD DAD posted:

I’m sure some terminally-online member of the SE localization team will put an Iscar Matthias reference somewhere in the franchise eventually.

Cait will be utterly annihilated.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Heithinn Grasida posted:

FFVIII Crystal - Basically a Job Class Mod. You pair a GF with the character they're supposed to be with (as listed in the mod) and they learn abilities to go along with their class. For example, Aura is now an Ability, not a spell, and only Quistis can use it to enable her Blue Magic. Selphie, the Black Mage, gets Double as an Ability. Bosses are pretty different, especially later on. I found it a lot of fun. Sample if you're interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M348_Z2xLy8

FFIX Alternate Fantasy. A very extensive mod with new abilities for much of the party, bosses are radically different in a lot of cases, and so-on. I recently tried to do a Level 1 challenge of it and failed at Lani but if you don't try for that, it isn't impossibly hard or anything. Until you get to Necron anyway, I remember him being a nightmare. Garnet sucks, use Eiko. (even though he made Summons a lot stronger than they are in base IX)

FFVII HardType - New Threat is the definitive FFVII gameplay mod and probably always will be. But if you want something a bit closer to vanilla VII but more challenging, I enjoyed this. I beat it with a self-imposed class challenge. I do enjoy it gives you different equipment and materia earlier on. I always find the first few hours of RPGs the most monotonous on replays because you don't have access to anything cool yet, ya know.
My playlist of some of the more fun bosses in the mod.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

DanielCross posted:

Holy poo poo, is that Moogle Cid from Dissidia? That combined with the Emperor showing up at the end, is this all gonna tie into Dissidia in the end?

I (and others) have been saying since the start that SoP's big reveal isn't "Jack is Chaos" it's "this is actually a Dissidia game." I'm glad that the final DLC looks like it's going to be as dumb and crazy as this game deserves. :allears:

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

I (and others) have been saying since the start that SoP's big reveal isn't "Jack is Chaos" it's "this is actually a Dissidia game." I'm glad that the final DLC looks like it's going to be as dumb and crazy as this game deserves. :allears:

I hope the ending is just a character trailer for Jack in a new Dissidia.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Jack is the best FF protag and I hope they throw him into all the crossover spinoffs

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Halone kinda looks like Minerva ngl

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

HD DAD posted:

I mean, we never hear Shinra Middle Manager's actual name...

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

If Shinra Middle Manager’s name is revealed to be Iscar, one of the localisation team is definitely a goon.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I unironically think the best FF gameplay rebalance mod is the FFIII pixel remaster

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It should be Johnny. No, not the idiot you keep bailing out. Fiveaces.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mr. Locke posted:

I hope the ending is just a character trailer for Jack in a new Dissidia.

Stranger of Paradise logo morphing into the Dissidia one. Then 2024 appears on screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I would applaud.