Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

yum posted:

why is franky so happy about vegapunk creating cloned child soldiers for the state lol

Yeah, it seems like a pretty hosed up thing to do, and no one, except possibly Bonney, seems to find it objectionable. You'd expect Jimbei, at least, to be upset about Vegapunk cloning him without his consent and enslaving the clone! Until now I assumed that the Seraphim weren't actually sentient, but S-Snake, at least, seems to be.

Edit: For the sake of my sanity, I'll assume, until we're told otherwise, that the Seraphim are just meat-robots, and S-Snake's tsundere behavior is a quirk of her programming interacting with her lineage factor rather than a sign of actual consciousness.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

rannum posted:

I hope Kizaru being so laid back makes him the "perfect" counter to Gear 5 so we get a two-page spread of Gear 5 Luffy doing an enel face (the enel face causes massive property damage)

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Not a fan of Boa's clone being able to use her fruit on a bunch of adult marines.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Maybe it’s a dupe of Hancock directly so it’s working on if you’d find snake mommy hot, even though she herself isn’t there.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Luffy this chapter: Somebody stop meee

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Glad for the confirmation that Senor Pink is still alive :unsmith:

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Gear 5 is great

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
I just read the notes from 5 months ago that said Luffy's fruit was both a Paramecia AND a Zoan, and now I just have a giant headache.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
one piece is fun as hell

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021
THIN QUEEN! Now we have empirical evidence that he would be too popular. What's up with the flaming hair though? Or is it just like an artful scruffy mohawk and I'm dumb.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

YggdrasilTM posted:

Why didn't they just stay there and defeat the CP0
They had to get Atlas out of there to save her. The train they were getting on was apparently the last train, so defeating CP0 would involve Chopper and Jimbei abandoning Luffy. If their goal is to save the Vegapunks and get off the island, they need to stick together. Also, it seems like Luffy's Gear 5 had an energy limit and he was gonna have to take a breather soon anyway.

yum posted:

why is franky so happy about vegapunk creating cloned child soldiers for the state lol
While Franky has learned some hard lessons, he is still at heart an engineer who loves making strong weapons. The rest of the Strawhats see that they're a problem, Franky sees them as an amazing accomplishment.

That said I'm pretty sure the implication is that they're meat robots like that other poster said, not actually child soldiers.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Since Vegapunk said Logias were trickier than expected I’m guessing the laser was the only part of Kizaru’s fruit that he was able to replicate. This also means theoretical Crocodile and Blackbeard(if his fruit actually is the Darkness fruit…) seraphims won’t have their fruits. Moria, Doffy, Law, and Buggy would be fine though since all you need is a blood sample for paramecias.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 22, 2022

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

RatHat posted:

Since Vegapunk said Logias were trickier than expected I’m guessing the laser was the only part of Kizaru’s fruit that he was able to replicate. This also means theoretical Crocodile and Blackbeard(if his fruit actually is the Darkness fruit…) seraphims won’t have their fruits. Moria, Doffy, Law, and Buggy would be fine though since all you need is a blood sample for paramecias.

Not sure they'd have a sample of Law's blood unless it was some super creepy part of the Warlord contract. The rest of them were in Marine captivity at some point, except Moria who I think was knocked out in the war? Maybe if they scraped around on Dressrosa...

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

ragnarokette posted:

THIN QUEEN! Now we have empirical evidence that he would be too popular. What's up with the flaming hair though? Or is it just like an artful scruffy mohawk and I'm dumb.

Yeah I didn't recognize him at first because of the hair.. maybe that's what it naturally looks like when it isn't tied?

Something I find kind of interesting is that the scientists are being presented as a sort of pirate crew.. they had their own ship and in the cover to this week we see them all standing with swords / guns looking like they are about to get into a fight.. I had always envisioned them more as a research team recruited and put together artificially by the world government. Reason I bring this up is that naturally in a pirate crew dynamic the members of the crew kind of reflect on the leader and vice versa.. 3 of the members of Vegapunk's crew have turned out to be fairly huge assholes, I wonder if this is hinting towards a darker side of his own personality that hasn't really come across yet outside of Bonney's hatred of him.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 22, 2022

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Starsfan posted:

Yeah I didn't recognize him at first because of the hair.. maybe that's what it naturally looks like when it isn't tied?

Something I find kind of interesting is that the scientists are being presented as a sort of pirate crew.. they had their own ship and in the cover to this week we see them all standing with swords / guns looking like they are about to get into a fight.. I had always envisioned them more as a research team recruited and put together artificially by the world government. Reason I bring this up is that naturally in a pirate crew dynamic the members of the crew kind of reflect on the leader and vice versa.. 3 of the members of Vegapunk's crew have turned out to be fairly huge assholes, I wonder if this is hinting towards a darker side of his own personality that hasn't really come across yet outside of Bonney's hatred of him.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Starsfan posted:

3 of the members of Vegapunk's crew have turned out to be fairly huge assholes, I wonder if this is hinting towards a darker side of his own personality that hasn't really come across yet outside of Bonney's hatred of him.
I think it’s already been kinda laid out that Vegapunk isn’t an rear end in a top hat so much as he is just a dude who makes heartless decisions based off calculated odds and scientific process - he left Dragon high and dry because it didn’t make financial sense, and then ended up allying himself with the World Government because they offered him the resources he needed. Even his decision to go with Luffy is only motivated by a need to vacate the premises before Kizaru blows everything up. I could see the disbanding of MADS coming down to Vegapunk deciding it was no longer logical to work with Judge, Caesar, etc. for whatever reason - probably because they weren’t providing the necessary value for him vs. the “cost” of keeping them around. Even his dream of clean/renewable energy feels like it’s founded in him simply understanding that it would be the most rational outcome for society.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I should probably update this for all the Punks

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Silver2195 posted:

Yeah, it seems like a pretty hosed up thing to do, and no one, except possibly Bonney, seems to find it objectionable. You'd expect Jimbei, at least, to be upset about Vegapunk cloning him without his consent and enslaving the clone! Until now I assumed that the Seraphim weren't actually sentient, but S-Snake, at least, seems to be.

Edit: For the sake of my sanity, I'll assume, until we're told otherwise, that the Seraphim are just meat-robots, and S-Snake's tsundere behavior is a quirk of her programming interacting with her lineage factor rather than a sign of actual consciousness.

Eiba posted:

They had to get Atlas out of there to save her. The train they were getting on was apparently the last train, so defeating CP0 would involve Chopper and Jimbei abandoning Luffy. If their goal is to save the Vegapunks and get off the island, they need to stick together. Also, it seems like Luffy's Gear 5 had an energy limit and he was gonna have to take a breather soon anyway.

While Franky has learned some hard lessons, he is still at heart an engineer who loves making strong weapons. The rest of the Strawhats see that they're a problem, Franky sees them as an amazing accomplishment.

That said I'm pretty sure the implication is that they're meat robots like that other poster said, not actually child soldiers.

Meat robots? Don't you mean... ANDROIDS!?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

YggdrasilTM posted:

Why didn't they just stay there and defeat the CP0

Cause they only had until Sentomaru went out before their strongest allies in the area turned on them, also they needed to save Atlas.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

rannum posted:

I hope Kizaru being so laid back makes him the "perfect" counter to Gear 5 so we get a two-page spread of Gear 5 Luffy doing an enel face (the enel face causes massive property damage)

If Gear 5 Luffy does an Enel face, it's going to be Tex Avery-style with the eyes shooting out, jaw dropping to the floor and tongue flailing on the ground.

Also, I love Gear 5 so, so much and just want to see more of it at any possible opportunity. :allears:

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
I am unreasonably infuriated at how Sentomaru could be defeated so easily by an opponent who didn't even have Haki pre-timeskip where he was supposed to be on par with Sengoku for Haki prowess.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

To be fair luffy didn't have haki pre timeskip either

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

JahRoo posted:

To be fair luffy didn't have haki pre timeskip either

Luffy had Rayliegh, Katakuri, Hyogoro and Kaido to learn from. Lucci's got a powerful fruit and is the best Rokushiki user in the manga, but he shouldn't be any better in Haki than the Aegis Zero mooks at Onigashima, and one of them lost to X Drake.

Delphisage fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 23, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Luffy whipping so hard that he turned into a screw and went underground :allears:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Delphisage posted:

Luffy had Rayliegh, Katakuri, Hyogoro and Kaido to learn from. Lucci's got a powerful fruit and is the best Rokushiki user in the manga, but he shouldn't be any better in Haki than the Aegis Zero mooks at Onigashima, and one of them lost to X Drake.

Huh what Aegis 0 mooks, and who lost to X Drake

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Delphisage posted:

None of them lost to X Drake?

Drake fought 'em and got them pretty banged up but lost in the end. It was Izo that took one of 'em down and Izo died after that. Then Drake got back up and stabbed the remaining guy in the back, and that dude still took Drake down again and got Luffy killed by Kaido. (And then apparently managed to loving take a picture of Gear 5 Luffy after Kaido crushed him for some reason?)

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Luffy turning his hair into goggles makes me wish Whitebeard was around so Luffy could pull off Whitebeard's mustache and throw it like a boomerang.

Weevil is still around, and presumably there's an S-Weevil as well

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Remalle posted:

Weevil is still around, and presumably there's an S-Weevil as well

What is Weevil IS S-Whitebeard, just something went wrong in the process?

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
I'm not convinced that there are any Seraphim from the later members of the Warlords, seeing as we've only seen ones from the original seven. I reckon we'll see Donflamingo, Crocodile, and Gecko ones, but not Buggy, Weevil, or Law. I also doubt there is a Blackbeard one as he wasn't part of the group for very long and they might not have had a chance to get whatever DNA they needed from him. Though, a Blackbeard Seraphim could introduce a way to explain whatever weird thing is up with his body.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

maybe blackbeard got green blood somehow and made quake quake blood under the sheet

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Luffy whipping so hard that he turned into a screw and went underground :allears:

Looking forward to seeing Gear 5 in motion

and then redubbing the sound

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Ya, he drank Whitebeard's blood

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

What if Weevil's mom is the fifth MADS scientist?

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Gear 5 owns so hard

edit: this isn’t a spoiler. Mole pistol rules

Wii Spawn Camper fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Dec 23, 2022

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It's good to see Robin with her own fit again. She got the shortest of ends in Wano, where up until the raid it was almost impossible to tell if she was on panel or not most of the time.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Holy poo poo this makes sense, a failed experiment

He has the scars

Also a ray of hope for a beardmorang

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

DeadBonesBrook posted:

I'm not convinced that there are any Seraphim from the later members of the Warlords, seeing as we've only seen ones from the original seven. I reckon we'll see Donflamingo, Crocodile, and Gecko ones, but not Buggy, Weevil, or Law. I also doubt there is a Blackbeard one as he wasn't part of the group for very long and they might not have had a chance to get whatever DNA they needed from him. Though, a Blackbeard Seraphim could introduce a way to explain whatever weird thing is up with his body.

Counterpoint

S-Buggy would be funny

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

Silver2195 posted:

Eiba posted:

True, that does align with Franky's personality. His origin story was about carelessly making weapons of mass destruction without any thought for the consequences. Guess he didn't learn his lesson.

I'll go ahead with this belief too, but man.... why make them children at all if they're flesh automatons. Stussy explicitly says that they're still children meaning they're going to mature and age. Not to mention S-snake's saying "I'm just following orders!!" which is a pretty big Chekhov's gun. Are all scientists in One Piece pieces of crap? What is Oda trying to tell us

In summary:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Counterpoint

S-Buggy would be funny

This guy gets it

S-Buggy being actually competent and terrifying, yet regular Buggy still beating it by failing upwards yet again