Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

i actually read moby dick for the first time today. immediately hooked, this is great

so drat good. I first read it on a train running south along the coast from Edinburgh. Incredible experience. Read it again years later and it was much funnier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Shibawanko posted:

i actually read moby dick for the first time today. immediately hooked, this is great

its real good. No idea why I never got around to reading it until a couple years ago but was great. But I'm pretty sure teenaged me would have been less enthusiastic

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Herman melville is so good, i read his shorter works like benito cereno, billy budd and bartleby earlier this year and every single one owned. Gonna have to get myself onto his other books

e: no, wait, the confidence man first. I've heard that's great

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
His early novels are great. Typee, Omoo, and Mardi form a trilogy where the first two are these charming, funny semi-factual travelogues and the third starts out like that then evolves into this nutso Swiftian odyssey. Northwestern Press publishes all his stuff and they might still be on sale for the holidays.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Anyone got any opinions on Adolfo Bioy Caseares? I stumbled upon The Invention of Morel the other day and seeing as it inspired, supposedly, my favorite film I decided to give it a read. It wasn't great, but not terrible. It felt like diet Borges. The way Borges can take an absurd situation and extrapolate it out to come to startling conclusions that one wouldn't have ever come to if taking the same situation without the askew view he provides. Morel felt overly narrativized, the situation the exile finds himself in is far more interesting that the man himself yet most of the narrative is spent with him groping around questions of Ms.Faustine and her love life rather than the implications of the Island and his own inability to truly determine if not he was also just an echo of a man. Although in typing this I believe some of my frustration is that the concept was better used in Last Year at Marienbad which I've already seen.

At any rate, is there any other English works worth reading by the man? For better or worse the man's legacy seems totally overshadowed by his friends.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Hamnet, by Maggie O'Farrell, is miraculously good. Not only was the prose some of the most beautiful I have ever read, but the emotional impact of the book was so powerful. It actually made me cry twice

blue squares fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 19, 2022

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

especially since Henry IV, Part 1 is excellent and among my favourite of his plays.

But those Joans gotta stick together I guess.

And the stupid meme is confusing Henry IV with Henry VI, if you are going to meme about history, at least get it right. I like Twain, I think his editing on Grant's Memoirs might be his most underrated work. For a work written by a dying man in more or less contant pain, they are remarkably lucid and wonderfully written.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Ras Het posted:

I don't know that guy since literalily I live in the 19th century. I'm reading Mirbeau who lost in postation recommended here like eight years ago

which one? torture garden is really wild and some of his short stories are good as well

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

blue squares posted:

Hamnet, by Maggie O'Farrell, is miraculously good. Not only was the prose some of the most beautiful I have ever read, but the emotional impact of the book was so powerful. It actually made me cry twice

Actually it's bad op hth

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

A human heart posted:

which one? torture garden is really wild and some of his short stories are good as well

Diary of a Chambermaid. It was good but the translation was cringe, something Jarman from the 60s or so

Now I'm reading Alice Munro because the history of Kymenlaakso I'd been reading was too heavy to lug to my parents

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

studious as a butterfly in a parking lot

blue squares posted:

Don’t read The Marriage Portrait, except for one paragraph about a tiger it’s extremely bad

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Lobster Henry posted:

Don’t read The Marriage Portrait, except for one paragraph about a tiger it’s extremely bad

Haha yeah I couldn’t finish it. Total agree, the tiger scene was very good but everything else stank. I think it was rushed out to capitalize on Hamnet’s success

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Trying to figure out which Russian novel to read next. I've only read Tolstoy & Dostoevsky's major works (W&P, Anna K / C&P, Karamazov, Notes) and want to either read more Dostoevsky or one of the books I bought during few trips to really cool hole-in-the-wall used book store called Human Relations in Bushwick.
Fathers and Sons + Smoke by Turgenev, The Overcoat & other stories by Gogol, Hadji Murad by Tolstoy, or The Devils/Demons by Dostoevsky which I've tried to read a few times but could not get very far (Brothers Karamazov is my favorite book). I know Devils is probably one of his least discussed or praised works likely for a reason but always thought the premise was awesome.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

I really love Devils, which I read as The Possessed. I'd absolutely recommend it.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
Read Nabokov

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

derp posted:

Read Nabokov

a friend of mine once observed the irony of one of the greatest masters of English literature was writing in his second (or third? IDK) language.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Bilirubin posted:

a friend of mine once observed the irony of one of the greatest masters of English literature was writing in his second (or third? IDK) language.

conrad too

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Bilirubin posted:

He was taught English as a child along with Russian and French. It's not his mother tongue, but it was not something he acquired later in life.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Read Gogol

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

knox posted:

Trying to figure out which Russian novel to read next. I've only read Tolstoy & Dostoevsky's major works (W&P, Anna K / C&P, Karamazov, Notes) and want to either read more Dostoevsky or one of the books I bought during few trips to really cool hole-in-the-wall used book store called Human Relations in Bushwick.
Fathers and Sons + Smoke by Turgenev, The Overcoat & other stories by Gogol, Hadji Murad by Tolstoy, or The Devils/Demons by Dostoevsky which I've tried to read a few times but could not get very far (Brothers Karamazov is my favorite book). I know Devils is probably one of his least discussed or praised works likely for a reason but always thought the premise was awesome.

Sorokin or Limonov

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Unfortunately you’re not allowed to read Russian novels right now because that would be a betrayal of Ukraine. You’re playing right into Putins hands

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Ras Het posted:

Read Gogol

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

knox posted:

Life and Fate by Vasily Grossman

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

blue squares posted:

Unfortunately you’re not allowed to read Russian novels right now because that would be a betrayal of Ukraine. You’re playing right into Putins hands

Wasn’t there a Guardian or something article with essentially this premise that furthermore said that the psychology of the characters in the Russian classics revealed the inherent weaknesses of their national character

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Tree Goat posted:

Wasn’t there a Guardian or something article with essentially this premise that furthermore said that the psychology of the characters in the Russian classics revealed the inherent weaknesses of their national character

The Superfluous War

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

knox posted:

Trying to figure out which Russian novel to read next.

Gogol remains my #1 guy. Please read The Overcoat soon

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

got a couple of holocaust related books for christmas this year, zofia nałkowska’s medallions, and alone in berlin.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Gogol it is, then probably give Demons by Dostoevsky 3rd try.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Late to the party, but don't sleep on Andrey Bely's Petersburg, preferably in the Ellsworth translation.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
Everything I’ve read by Nabokov was incredible. Also, demons is awesome, super relevant themes to modern politics as well.

To throw one out there that has not been mentioned, Pushkin has some pretty good short story collections. He’s less internationally known than who else has been brought up, but is basically considered the father of Russian literature.

You could also try the master and margarita if you want to try some more modern Russian lit

For non-fiction, The Gulag Archiepligo is imo a life changing read. A first hand account of the rise of Stalin and life in the gulag with some incredible insight into human nature. It was written in secret while the author was in exile. If you’ve ever heard “the line between good and evil runs through the hearts of men”, that is pulled from this book.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Heart of the Dog by Bulgakov is also excellent.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Heart of the Dog by Bulgakov is also excellent.

It's one of my favorite books.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Chums just got to Venice in Against the Day and I'm finally starting to get a clearer picture of what's actually going on. I was having a lot of trouble trying to understand the sections on Light, and whether or not Aether was needed as a transmitting medium or not. The "Transportation" Lew experiences after being blown up, and the talk of the mirrors in Venice, perhaps even the difficulty the Chums have in entering the Hollow Earth are plenty of evidence that we're looking at a sort of double reality.

Not in the sense of paired worlds, a Terra and Antiterra. More that there's a grounded, realistic world and then a sort of unreal world of possibility that lives on top or besides that. The Chums and all their various super adventures belong into that category, it's the realm of all the hope,wild dreaming, and "Psuedo"scientific and magical thinkings that could not of yet be unproven, and so exist in a state of suspension until they're collapsed, like the waveform of a particle. It's no wonder that the crossover point between that world and the real world is the World's Fair, an event that even existing in reality has a sense of optimism and utopianism that draws to it the other world.

The problems the Chums have with their instruments following the worlds fair, and the general discord politically and emotionally they feel after their meeting with the professor following the fair is that waveform collapsing. The Prof in his resentment of Tesla, someone who's the ultimate scientific dreamer and utopianist, agrees to sell his services to Vibe to stop the free flow of energy to the entire world. And instead collapse and commodify it. The Tesla Coils would have been the height of Anarchism, there's enough energy for everyone and each can have as much as they need. Vibe destroying that dream just as he plots against the actual Anarchists in the Mine reduces the possibility space of the future of humanity and reduces the unknown element that possibility hides in.

Vibe's son refusing to kill or danger the elephant when he was in Africa could be seen as a sign of him rejecting his Father and his ways. In reference to the Elephant executions of the Vibe's friend and Tesla's enemy Edison. He certainly seems like an ill fit for the family, and in the greater scheme of things seems to want to be on the side of the Outsiders rather than the Owners, politicians, and Commercial scientists. Kit Traverse allowing himself to become indentured to the Vibes leads me to believe that we're going to have something of a flip flop in the warring families.

TWIT is an enigma to me, they seem to be something of a safeguard of the mystical. To the point that the fact that they're mysterious and enigmatic matters more than any actual secrets they can hold, for if you don't know what they're hiding they could be hiding anything. Despite that, the false smiles and ineffable qualities they give off to Lew, the character whose judgement I've come to trust the most, makes me wonder if they are truly so innocent as they seem. The Chums super organization as well, the Inconvenience is literally what it says in my view. And Inconvenient fact that some people will literally transcend the current and the politics of it all, so I feel confident in siding with them, but the Russian ship that seems to be keeping tabs on them, the orders to help with the Scarsdale expedition to unbury the dead god, and being used as a taxi to ferry around Lew when he was full AntiAnarchist gives me the impression that they're being sold out.

Gonna throw out a guess that like the hole to the interior slowly closing, the title Against the Day refers to to constant struggle of the counter culture to keep alive the spirit of countering culture in the face of overwhelming capital and force being turned against it.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

That's the first level of the critique which is why they appear as the framing device.

God I envy you

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Read some Balzac, such as Père Goriot. You can see a line of descent to Dostoevsky in the monologues.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Just read all Balzac, it's what I'm doing and I can assure you I'm 4% of the way there

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake
I’m looking for some advise on finding worthwhile stuff — I feel like even nominal sources for “literary” fiction sort of push the same blah MFA boilerplate. What are y’all’s strategies for finding stuff new and old?

(And no, having friends is NOT an option)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

First things first, avoid anything published in the last thirty years. After that it's just keeping your ears open, get a notepad or a note app and jot down anything that sounds interesting to you whenever you hear it. Podcast says something is good, write it down. Cool Movie that's an adaption, write it down. Pleiadians come to you in a dream to reveal the secrets of sacred geometry and the great American novel, write it down.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

avoid anything published in the last thirty years.

Except Eimear McBride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

First things first, avoid anything published in the last thirty years.

Elaborate on this? Just personally curious as someone who's having difficulty navigating the swamp of contemporary lit