Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Caroline on her first day in federal prison:

(Shouting into the yard) “I have every known type of genital herpes and several unknown ones.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

kw0134 posted:

If he wanted to run, the time to do it was about four weeks ago. It's more probable he'll find some way to give part 34 of his confession to a Bloomberg reporter in the meantime.

"Yeah no I mean they did honestly nail me on all of that, but luckily they didn't know about the $15 million I funneled to my Bank of America account from the funds, so that's a relief"

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

https://twitter.com/tommyk_eth/status/1605999700980613120

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
SBF is grounded.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

El Spamo posted:

I hope that a year or so in a Bahamas mansion in a drug-fueled sex party was worth it.

The crimes weren't required for that, his parents have a $250 million house, rich kids like that don't have any problem getting mom and dad to pay for a gap year abroad to figure yourself out.

I bet you can rent a pretty nice place for you and your closest fuckbuddies for not too much in the grand scheme of things coming from a family of affluent Bay Area professionals

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

VitalSigns posted:

The crimes weren't required for that, his parents have a $250 million house, rich kids like that don't have any problem getting mom and dad to pay for a gap year abroad to figure yourself out.

I bet you can rent a pretty nice place for you and your closest fuckbuddies for not too much

his parents don't have a $250m house

the $250m seems entirely fictional, and is secured "in part" by the house, but he's not actually required to put up the rest. basically if he takes a runner his parents lose the house and that's it

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

kw0134 posted:

When your interviewer is going through a checklist of the elements of fraud, you absolutely wait for it to finish.

I feel like this is one of the big benefits of hiring lawyers, if you want to get your side of the story out to the press, they can draft some kind of statement and help you avoid getting walked down the path of proving the prosecutor's case point-by-point in an interview.

But on the other hand, if you're always the smartest person in any room, how could anyone possibly advise you how to do anything better than you're already doing it?

naem
May 29, 2011

Seth Pecksniff posted:

"Yeah no I mean they did honestly nail me on all of that, but luckily they didn't know about the $15 million I funneled to my Bank of America account from the funds, so that's a relief"

the absolute first thing I’d do if I was a billion dollar fraudster and/or con artist jewel theif etc is bury like, several heavy duty ziplocked baggies of several million dollars in multiple backyards to go dig up some day, along with a false identity and an escape plan involving fake mustaches and money laundering business ideas so I could go vanish someplace where it doesn’t snow

10 plus million dollars and you really don’t gotta work no more

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Good work apes, we made bitcoin outperform tesla on ytd roi!!! Hodl strong, we moonin!!!

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

which dip to buy, decisions decisions

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Wall Balls posted:

which dip to buy, decisions decisions
Salsa, but I've never been partial to cheese and sour cream dips.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

naem posted:

the absolute first thing I’d do if I was a billion dollar fraudster and/or con artist jewel theif etc is bury like, several heavy duty ziplocked baggies of several million dollars in multiple backyards to go dig up some day, along with a false identity and an escape plan involving fake mustaches and money laundering business ideas so I could go vanish someplace where it doesn’t snow

10 plus million dollars and you really don’t gotta work no more

crypto people put a bunch of USBs filled with crypto and then forget the password, keeping their cryptocoins safe forever

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

zedprime posted:

Salsa, but I've never been partial to cheese and sour cream dips.

What about hummus?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Seth Pecksniff posted:

How the hell did SBF manage to post bond for $250 million holy poo poo

probably called up some place like Bad Dog Bailbonds and it's got a logo of a pitbull doing this :colbert:

he just had to put up the 6 figgies he has left in his bank account

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

jokes posted:

crypto people put a bunch of USBs filled with crypto and then forget the password, keeping their cryptocoins safe forever

birdbath.txt

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

ah yes the 914 scam

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I was going to say I know there are expensive houses but I did not expect many over say $100m.

yeah uh the only one I can think of that expensive is Notch's candy house in Beverly Hills lol

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

BoldFace posted:

SBF is grounded.

knowing the Stanford educational system, his parents will say he learned his lesson and promises to never do it again if we will just drop all of this. Pretty please this is going to ruin his future

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Caroline on her first day in federal prison:

(Shouting into the yard) “I have every known type of genital herpes and several unknown ones.”

Queen of the yard: "sup"

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Dial A For Awesome posted:

Turns out Coindesk is not a reliable source for analysis. I am shocked that it misled me in this way!

Also they publish the list of people that give up citizenship every year, so Coinbase could have just, y'know, checked it.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Bank is going to flee and then get caught ordering Pizzahut or Dominos to his mexican villa.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Hummus ok, but bean dip just strange, man

Just totally a weird idea

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Alan Smithee posted:

ah yes the 914 scam
FTX wasn’t in the southern district of NY until recently

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
They are totally going to Epstein him

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

istewart posted:

Hummus ok, but bean dip just strange, man

Just totally a weird idea

hummus is literally bean dip

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

happyhippy posted:

Why? he just did fraud.

He gave both political parties money, his parents have relationships, There is alot of motive for everyone to show restraint. Least politicain get embarrassed.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

more falafel please posted:

hummus is literally bean dip
Never had a garbanzo bean on me

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Has anyone said Sam Bankster-Fraud yet?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
no

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

happyhippy posted:

Who is "they?"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

if he didn't get stabbed by a rusty spoon in the Bahamas he's not getting killed here

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

Has anyone said Sam Bankster-Fraud yet?

buttcon

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

slidebite posted:

Who is "they?"

The same people who Epsteined Etpstiened

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ups_rail posted:

Why? he just did fraud.

He gave both political parties money, his parents have relationships, There is alot of motive for everyone to show restraint. Least politicain get embarrassed.

Until he starts announcing new crimes!

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Ups_rail posted:

The same people who Epsteined Etpstiened

Epstein Epsteined himself

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

VitalSigns posted:

I feel like this is one of the big benefits of hiring lawyers, if you want to get your side of the story out to the press, they can draft some kind of statement and help you avoid getting walked down the path of proving the prosecutor's case point-by-point in an interview.

But on the other hand, if you're always the smartest person in any room, how could anyone possibly advise you how to do anything better than you're already doing it?

I've known more than one "knows he's smartest kid in the room" type who got into more trouble than they should have because they were just SURE that if they explained themselves well enough to the cops they'd be back at the dorm in no time flat. Usually minor pot poo poo or drunk driving.

This is that, but on a massive scale. He's the dumb gently caress, straight-A's, suburban white kid with professionals for parents, college sophomore who's just gotten pulled over with an ounce of weed in the trunk and is loving certain that he can explain this all away to the nice officer.

The thing is, usually they're inadvertently right. I've got an in-law who was in the exact situation above (oz of weed in college for his frat house) who, once the arrest happened and his parents got involved, managed to get a potential trafficking charge downgraded to a bunch of community service because "he's a good boy / his future / this was just personal use we'll put in him rehab / etc." Difference here being that upper middle class educated parents and the kind of lawyers they can buy will get a white frat boy out of a pot charge, but Bankman got out far enough ahead of his skis and hosed around with other rich people's money enough that his university prof parents can do precisely gently caress all.

Which is goddamned hilarious.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

slidebite posted:

Who is "they?"

Kramer: They're gonna Epstein him, Jerry!
Jerry: Who is "they?" You don't even know what Epsteining is!
Kramer: I don't... but they do. And they're the ones who are gonna Epstein him.
*makes tying-noose motion on self, stumbles backwards through pile of picture frames*
George: My NFTs!!!
Elaine: What are you so upset about? They're worthless!
George: Correction, they were worthless. :smuggo:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Cyrano4747 posted:

I've known more than one "knows he's smartest kid in the room" type who got into more trouble than they should have because they were just SURE that if they explained themselves well enough to the cops they'd be back at the dorm in no time flat. Usually minor pot poo poo or drunk driving.

This is that, but on a massive scale. He's the dumb gently caress, straight-A's, suburban white kid with professionals for parents, college sophomore who's just gotten pulled over with an ounce of weed in the trunk and is loving certain that he can explain this all away to the nice officer.

The thing is, usually they're inadvertently right. I've got an in-law who was in the exact situation above (oz of weed in college for his frat house) who, once the arrest happened and his parents got involved, managed to get a potential trafficking charge downgraded to a bunch of community service because "he's a good boy / his future / this was just personal use we'll put in him rehab / etc." Difference here being that upper middle class educated parents and the kind of lawyers they can buy will get a white frat boy out of a pot charge, but Bankman got out far enough ahead of his skis and hosed around with other rich people's money enough that his university prof parents can do precisely gently caress all.

Which is goddamned hilarious.

Yeah this is why he was like "lawyers are loving stupid" because his entire life I bet he learned that:
1) you don't need protection from the police at all, and
2) lawyers are stupid middlemen who don't understand that if someone just apologizes and make a stupid face they'll let you go

Affluenza is real

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

jokes posted:

2) lawyers are stupid middlemen who don't understand that if someone just apologizes and make a stupid face they'll let you go

Checks out, very few people have a worse view of actual lawyers than law professors.

naem
May 29, 2011

the best part is this guy didn’t have any kind of plan, or goal

people handed this guy billions of dollars and he kinda sorta handed it randomly to his part time girlfriend illegally, without any purpose

with a ponzi scheme there is at least a goal to get more investors in constantly, this was just “my mom and dad always give me millions to do whatever so I’ll do the same with billions”

bort
Mar 13, 2003

I hope they can find the companies that got SBF investment. It's probably on a legal pad that he's forgotten about.

tangentially related to affluenza, the JCS drop after a year of no videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGuEdN-ju2g
"I just kicked down my girlfriend's door and beat her to death. Let me go explain myself in lacrosse bro language. The cops will get me."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

JohnCompany posted:

Checks out, very few people have a worse view of actual lawyers than law professors.

Every lawyer I know loved watching SBF do all the wrong things because it validates all the things we learned about in law school. Never talk to the police, keep your loving head down, and most importantly never apologize lol

The crimes server named "crimes I commit" was even dumber than actually committing the crimes.