Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Vegapunk should give all the strawhats a bunch of authority chips too and then they can spend the battle yelling out a stream of contradicting commands at the seraphim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siliziumleben
Dec 4, 2003

The scientists' findings were astounding! They discovered that the powers of the Metroid might be harnessed for the good of civilization!
I'm still not sold on Gear 5. At this point, it doesn't seem like there exists a counter for Luffy just rewriting the laws of physics on the fly, and it takes any sense of danger out of Luffy's battles. The "I become an old man for 30 seconds afterwards!" debuff hasn't really mattered yet, either.

Prediction for how the Kizaru fight will go:
Kizaru will turn into a high-energy beam of light to attack Luffy. Luffy holds an upwards-tilted mirror in front of himself, forcefully re-directing the beam-Kizaru towards the Moon. Unable to leave, Kizaru is stuck on the Moon with Enel, and we'll see their buddy cop adventures in a cover page arc

Siliziumleben fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Dec 23, 2022

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

Siliziumleben posted:

I'm still not sold on Gear 5. At this point, it doesn't seem like there exists a counter for Luffy just rewriting the laws of physics on the fly, and it takes any sense of danger out of Luffy's battles. The "I become an old man for 30 seconds afterwards!" debuff hasn't really mattered yet, either.

Someone upthread theorized that the downside might be that he can get too cartoonishly chaotic and the collateral damage of that could result in something like fulfilling the fishman island prophecy

"whoops I turned this place into a cuphead level" would be a funny drawback

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

Siliziumleben posted:

Isn't that the point? Luffy is an emperor on par with the bigshots like Kaido, Big Mom and Buggy. CP0 should be of no threat to him currently.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

I can see where they are coming from. The problem of a power limited only by imagination is that to stop the character to immediately win in any possible situation you need to 1) make them really, really dumb and unimaginative 2) put them in a situation where their victory doesn't matter or 3) stop their power from being used altogether, be it with time limits or straight up power nullifier. And none of the three is a compelling story device, unless used very sparingly.

For example, why Luffy just didn't just use the floor like a giant rug to sweep away all the CP0 mooks in a single strike ?

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Dec 23, 2022

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

YggdrasilTM posted:

I can see where they are coming from. The problem of a power limited only by imagination is that to stop the character to immediately win in any possible situation you need to 1) make them really, really dumb and unimaginative 2) put them in a situation where their victory doesn't matter or 3) stop their power from being used altogether, be it with time limits or straight up power nullifier. And none of the three is a compelling story device, unless used very sparingly.

For example, why Luffy just didn't just use the floor like a giant rug to sweep away all the CP0 mooks in a single strike ?

Luffy's eventual conflict with Blackbeard is very likely either going to involve #3 and/or using his Haki to overcome Blackbeard's powers in the way Law negated Doc Q's power.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
the fact that they're referred to by their animal name components (snake, hawk) rather than anything does suggest it's the original warlords since they had that theme going. blackbeard doesn't and buggy is debatable

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Luffy does not have reality warping powers. All his looney tunes stuff is just a result of turning stuff into rubber, whether it’s himself, his opponent or the environment. He just has way more control over it than his base form

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Mister Olympus posted:

the fact that they're referred to by their animal name components (snake, hawk) rather than anything does suggest it's the original warlords since they had that theme going. blackbeard doesn't and buggy is debatable

Blackbeard is S-Hippo.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

One of the defining traits of the emperors is that they’re all seemingly invincible. Kaido was unkillable, Big Mom was a giant who could transplant her soul into anything around her, Whitebeard could crack the air around him, etc. In order for Luffy to have convincing status as an emperor, he kinda needs something to give him a similar aura of invulnerability. Anyways, the Kaido and Lucci fights have shown you can still hurt Luffy and use up his stamina while he’s in Gear 5. I think Oda has done a really good job of making Emperor Luffy an intimdating uber-threat without compromising his identity and character.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
buggy is the most dangerous animal of all- a clown.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

RatHat posted:

Luffy does not have reality warping powers. All his looney tunes stuff is just a result of turning stuff into rubber, whether it’s himself, his opponent or the environment. He just has way more control over it than his base form

the original description of Model Nika by the Elder Stars of “the user’s body gains the properties of rubber and his powers are only limited by his imagination” makes it kind of unambiguous combined with poo poo like throwing thunderbolts leaves relatively little ambiguity that he’s kinda warping reality imho”.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Eiichiro_Staff/status/1606303638892163072?s=20&t=CJvWU9KNhz8ixeRIj9n0YA

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Last Celebration posted:

the original description of Model Nika by the Elder Stars of “the user’s body gains the properties of rubber and his powers are only limited by his imagination” makes it kind of unambiguous combined with poo poo like throwing thunderbolts leaves relatively little ambiguity that he’s kinda warping reality imho”.

You’re basing things on fan translations. The official translation is that “he can fight in any way he fancies” and is the “most ridiculous power in the world”, neither of which are saying he can warp reality. It’s just that being able to turn anything into rubber and manipulate it results in unparalleled creativity when fighting. The lightning thing was literally just turning the lightning into rubber and throwing it.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Cloks posted:

Blackbeard is S-Hippo.

Surely you mean S-Frog?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
the main danger of this arc isn’t going to be the straw hats losing a fight anytime soon. They’ve got a team of assassins and seraphim whose main goal is to kill vegapunk, they’ve got 6 other vegapunks spread out throughout the island to protect, and Lucci has shown he’s strong enough to afford to disengage from a fight long enough to take someone else out.

Sure they’ve got the main vegapunk already, but I doubt the straw hats would be very comfortable with leaving the other ones to rot

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

CharlestonJew posted:

the main danger of this arc isn’t going to be the straw hats losing a fight anytime soon. They’ve got a team of assassins and seraphim whose main goal is to kill vegapunk, they’ve got 6 other vegapunks spread out throughout the island to protect, and Lucci has shown he’s strong enough to afford to disengage from a fight long enough to take someone else out.

Sure they’ve got the main vegapunk already, but I doubt the straw hats would be very comfortable with leaving the other ones to rot

which is why running away from the CP0, losing Sentomaru and letting them take the Seraphim is a bad idea. Lucci didn't disengage, they freaking let him go.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 23, 2022

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Scholtz posted:

Surely you mean S-Frog?

S-Frog? No, S-Hippo.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

YggdrasilTM posted:

which is why running away from the CP0, losing Sentomaru and letting them take the Seraphim is a bad idea. Lucci didn't disengage, they freaking let him go.
They were getting Atlas to safety. Also there were a ton of CP0 agents running around, enough that the Seraphim under Sentomaru were apparently just running crowd control while he was still up. Lucci wasn't the only issue they were dealing with.

I thought that losing Sentomaru and the ability to control the Seraphim was going to be a really bad thing, but looking at the command hierarchy again, all the Vegapunks also outrank CP0, so CP0 will still have to be cautious employing them somewhere there might be a Vegapunk.

With perfect tactical knowledge of the island, going hard against Lucci and CP0 to just take them off the board now might seem like a good plan, but they don't necessarily know the extent of the Government's plans, and as it turns out they might be right to prioritize regrouping and escaping over finishing CP0 considering Kizaru is on his way.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Eiba posted:

They were getting Atlas to safety. Also there were a ton of CP0 agents running around, enough that the Seraphim under Sentomaru were apparently just running crowd control while he was still up. Lucci wasn't the only issue they were dealing with.

I thought that losing Sentomaru and the ability to control the Seraphim was going to be a really bad thing, but looking at the command hierarchy again, all the Vegapunks also outrank CP0, so CP0 will still have to be cautious employing them somewhere there might be a Vegapunk.

With perfect tactical knowledge of the island, going hard against Lucci and CP0 to just take them off the board now might seem like a good plan, but they don't necessarily know the extent of the Government's plans, and as it turns out they might be right to prioritize regrouping and escaping over finishing CP0 considering Kizaru is on his way.

IMO, it's the other way around; they should have focused on taking out CP0 as fast as possible so they wouldn't have to fight Lucci and Kizaru simultaneously.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019

Silver2195 posted:

IMO, it's the other way around; they should have focused on taking out CP0 as fast as possible so they wouldn't have to fight Lucci and Kizaru simultaneously.

whitebeard took on the strongest marines on their own turf ₐₙ𝒹 ₗₒₛₜ

this poo poo aint no sweat for the mugiwaras

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Silver2195 posted:

that would make sense if they had perfect knowledge like the reader. I thought the crew doesn't know that the Marines are on their way. let alone Kizaru specifically

plus their mission is to get Vegapunk off the island and were interrupted by CP0. they're defending Bonney and half their heavy hitters are separated. Zoro, Sanji, Robin and Franky would be good to have from that perspective

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

I know Luffy knocked out Lucci just now, but it seemed to use up the last of Luffy's power. Presumably the waves of mooks plus Kaku and Stussy could give Lucci enough time to catch his breath. I don't think a conclusive battle against an awakened Zoan is something you can just bang out lickety split.

And more to the point, they don't know what's coming, or what's already on the island. Taking more time "finishing" Lucci is more time spent on Egghead, an island the Government is actively attacking. The best tactical move is to just not be there, and that's what they prioritized.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

All this is happening because Luffy lost a coin flip before leaving Wano

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Eiba posted:

I know Luffy knocked out Lucci just now, but it seemed to use up the last of Luffy's power.

We don't know if he truly expended all his power or not. He did the same gimmick during his fight with Kaido before he bounced back as if nothing happened right afterwards. He's not alone in that regard though. Lucci looks pretty good for someone who was just pummeled into unconsciousness a minute or so ago. Awakened Zoans are just built different probably.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Something I don't get is why Lucci fighting Luffy would be an act of war if CP0 is technically "defending" a government island.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Probably an informal arrangement of "Don't attack one of the emperor's, and they won't start actively going after Marine bases/ships they crosspaths with" and attacking an Emperor is a drat good way of pissing them off and risking a full on war.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Wellwinds posted:

Someone upthread theorized that the downside might be that he can get too cartoonishly chaotic and the collateral damage of that could result in something like fulfilling the fishman island prophecy

"whoops I turned this place into a cuphead level" would be a funny drawback

Even moreso it seems like he becomes overly silly and committed to the bit, like he will take damage he could have avoided just to do some kind of cartoonish mugging for the camera. The main tension with this most recent fight was that he could have realistically just overwhelmed Lucci nearly immediately and shut down the threat, but because he was doing the dodging bit and playing with his food Sentomaru got hurt and things basically flipped on their head in regards to the Seraphim.

Previously one of Luffy's core strengths was how intense and hyper focused he could get, particularly about protecting his friends and shutting down the people that might or have hurt them. This Luffy takes on an entirely different personality where it seems like he can't even really get all that mad or take a situation seriously. I feel like that is going to come into play in a big way eventually

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Mraagvpeine posted:

Something I don't get is why Lucci fighting Luffy would be an act of war if CP0 is technically "defending" a government island.

You gently caress with Luffy, the Strawhat armada and his allies will gently caress you up in retaliation. It's that simple really.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
yeah. its like if a king steps in your kingdom and you try and fight him... thats gonna start a war lol

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Julias posted:

You gently caress with Luffy, the Strawhat armada and his allies will gently caress you up in retaliation. It's that simple really.

Yeah the one thing all Yonko seem to have in common is they have considerable forces under their sway. Even Buggy has his company which is an impressive force on the world stage. So it would be in the government's best interests to not pick fights with Yonko unless they absolutely have to. Because doing so is going to be very costly even if the government eventually wins.

Though ironically, an alliance between Vegapunk and a Yonko might be one of those things that justifies a war in their eyes. Even though the government is responsible for it happening in the first place.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Eiba posted:

I know Luffy knocked out Lucci just now, but it seemed to use up the last of Luffy's power. Presumably the waves of mooks plus Kaku and Stussy could give Lucci enough time to catch his breath. I don't think a conclusive battle against an awakened Zoan is something you can just bang out lickety split.

And more to the point, they don't know what's coming, or what's already on the island. Taking more time "finishing" Lucci is more time spent on Egghead, an island the Government is actively attacking. The best tactical move is to just not be there, and that's what they prioritized.

Doesn't seem like he ran out of power so much as he has to deal with a rebound from using Gear 5, much like his old Gear 3 Chibi Luffy. So he clowned on Lucci for a good few minutes there and then went Wrinkly Old Man for a minute while they were riding the rocket, and once they arrived he was immediately back to normal, up and about.

This is also the first time we've seen him use Gear 5 with a full tank. Like some people pointed out, maybe the Old Man Mode only happens because Luffy thinks it has to happen, because it happened during his fight with Kaido where he was running on fumes.

tl;dr Gear 5 good

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Okiku's English dub VA is a trans woman, hell yeah

https://twitter.com/GhaspeyVO/status/1606420265235517440?t=2arnbni8kPKGlfiEqQ2Y7Q&s=19

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Was that also the case with her Japanese VA out of curiosity?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Oh, neat, you love to see it!

…wait, the dub’s at Wano already?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The One Piece dub is literally planning to catch up with the Japanese airing by the end of 2023

E:

Let's see Yamato's VA.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 24, 2022

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Gotta be a trans man if they're making the right choice for Kiku

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Waffleman_ posted:

The One Piece dub is literally planning to catch up with the Japanese airing by the end of 2023

E:

Let's see Yamato's VA.

I got bombed, on Reddit, for saying Yamato was a man if they say they're a man

to all my nakama, I'm sorry people are poo poo

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Arist posted:

Gotta be a trans man if they're making the right choice for Kiku

No?

EDIT: Oh you meant Yamato

Adbot