Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/araki_jojo/status/1604674128631382016?s=20&t=qCQC-L4efUuleKNIgMF4UA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Schwarzwald posted:

That's kind of the thing, ain't it? There's like a dozen things Araki could have done to make Lucy's assaults "less creepy," but once you've committed yourself to telling that story then it's probably a very good thing that it is that creepy.

No, I would not say it is.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Yinlock posted:

tbf it's creepy when it happens to Yasuho too, so not sure that would help

it's jojo man you can come up with literally any peril you want, have their arms turn into live bears or whatever instead

Lol yeah that's true about Yasuho. Araki just needs to stop relying on sexual assault as a horror threat.

The Bee posted:

Sometimes I wonder if manga (and many mediums) would be improved if the authors weren't allowed to write their principle cast as being below 18. Like, look at My Hero. It's superhero school, you can handwave that into being any age range we want. And the author clearly enjoys drawing curvy girls and giving them lots of fanservice. Would it really be the end of the world if the author just said they were early 20s or some poo poo?

Yeah I whole-heartedly agree. I do recognize the target audience are teenagers, so it's not uncommon to just call the cast teenagers but draw + write them like adults.

I will say that MHA does an okay job at portraying the teens as actual teenagers for the most part. There is, of course, the question of why teenagers are better at using their abilities and coming up with tactics compared to the literal best heroes in the nation, but ehh we gotta have the primary cast do the exciting stuff so whatever.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Been rereading SBR myself, and yeah, uh, that part was even worse than I remembered (the lead up with the First Lady was also a big yikes that the Valentine stuff had overshadowed in my mind).

The Sandman fight beforehand has some of the best drawn panels in all of JoJo imo.

The first lady is so over the top that it's almost funny but still, no thanks.

And yeah the art is insane.

There's so many fantastic stand fights.

Tubular bells is a great fight and I find the users confidence in his stand funny because of how ridiculous it is even if it is very powerful. I wonder how long it took him to learn that he could make balloon animals?

Hell, didn't he invent balloon animals?

Sandman is also great and its very thematic that the Native Americans last hope (however remote) is crushed over a deal with the US government.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Pretty much everyone in SBR dies.

And it works so much better than in Stone Ocean!

Gyros dad is presumably the only male Zeppeli to live into his 50s. HP is basically one of two Jobros and "guilty" of a rather heinous act so she's out. The rest of the characters are enemy stand users except for the Steels and Mountain Tim.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Dec 19, 2022

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

also what was up with those tiny horses seriously

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

The JOJOLands

the proper capitalization is extremely important

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
You fools, it's JOJOL ands!

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Just

Overly

Jacked

Ostentatious

Lads

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Sandman is great because they’re introduced as a somewhat major character only to disappear then die.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Torquemadras posted:

Just

Overly

Jacked

Ostentatious

Lads

and

stands

bobjr posted:

Sandman is great because they’re introduced as a somewhat major character only to disappear then die.

They're a bit like Dot Han who suddenly reappears in the story just to instantly die. The part even opens on Sandman!

Oh yeah, what's up with Valentines weird noise he makes after slamming the door on the beestung guard? Is it supposed to be a yawn or an odd celebration?

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 19, 2022

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I thought it was just the Japanese version of ta da

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

hatty posted:

I thought it was just the Japanese version of ta da
Yeah, that's what it is. It's probably my favorite quirk of his--destroying someone with his stand and going "ta-daaaaa" like it was a neat party trick

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Sjerxus7HY

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

PENISlands

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i cant wait to see who shot johnny animated

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Another fun thing Netflix will deprive us of

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I want to see all of sbr animated.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Watching MiH I realized, they're absolutely using MiH as an opportunity to get most of the horse model done and screen tested for SBR. After MIH all they've got to work on is the rear half and they've got a good base to start from for all the SBR horse action

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Was MiH cg? Didn’t notice if so. The SBR horses are gonna be cg for sure though

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
A LOT of the CG in jojo is hard to notice, it's used and composited extremely well.

e: that said, I'm looking now and a lot of it is 2d. Could swear I saw it in 3d, maybe I'm thinking of the intro (e2: yeah I was thinking of the MiH intro)

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 19, 2022

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/ZachCoveyTV/status/1605759039782240256?s=20&t=txD0qBedT1S41el31h4LTg

Rabid Boar
Apr 16, 2020

Soon, all of you will feel my hate, and suffer as I have suffered!
King Gizzard and the Lizard Blizzard

Rabid Boar fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 23, 2022

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

more important facts from the jojo magazine: talking about villains, araki says "charming" villains are important to the story and that it's a good idea to make the hero and main villain at the same time

which led to the amazing reveal of Dio's d&d character sheet

even from memory there's a lot to unpack here,

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Blood type: Mystery!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Follow Vampire Rules

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

The charts for the Part 8 characters must have been loving wild, just imagine Araki trying to fill out Poor Tom's chart but he keeps going back to the sexual history section every time he thinks of something funny

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Dec 24, 2022

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

It's OK to steal from the rich, they don't need it

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Pootybutt posted:

:hai:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

zetamind2000 posted:

The charts for the Part 8 characters must have been loving wild, just imagine Araki trying to fill out Poor Tom's chart but he keeps going back to the sexual history section every time he thinks of something funny

Apparently Araki also throws out most of the sheets after including the character in the manga, figuring he doesn't need it anymore

This goes a long way in explaining about how some reoccuring characters are insanely weird in very specific ways when introduced and then level out somewhat

lookin' at you Bruno

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

Pootybutt posted:

We have to at least consider the possibility that Dio did nothing wrong

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

chrome line posted:

We have to at least consider the possibility that Dio did nothing wrong

Testing the evil death mask on commoners was unfortunately not praxis

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Yinlock posted:

Apparently Araki also throws out most of the sheets after including the character in the manga, figuring he doesn't need it anymore

This goes a long way in explaining about how some reoccuring characters are insanely weird in very specific ways when introduced and then level out somewhat

lookin' at you Bruno

This explains so much about early Norisuke

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Yinlock posted:

lookin' at you Bruno

oh my god, yeah, this perfectly explains how this happens to characters' personalities and powers through practically the entire series. Earliest one I can think of is Kakyoin with his painting and possession stuff. I always figured it was a particular quirk of Araki's writing method and philosophy, combined with the deadlines he had to work with. I mean it is definitely still that, but the character sheet thing explains so much

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Kakyoin's painting seemed to be more of a dramatic effect rather than any intentional use of his power. I mean, he breaks the easel immediately after Jotaro saves himself. And the possession power still comes up again in the Death XIII fight. Kakyoin just seems unwilling to use a power that's designed to forcibly take control of people's bodies.

Which, y'know, makes him a better person than Caesar. :v:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

he fed a baby poop, blueberry pancakes

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I recommend Chip and Grant's book report on Araki's "Manga in Theory and Practice" if you wanna know more about what goes into his stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTLNVv2f_dg

Or just, read the book yourself, I guess

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

JOHN CENA posted:

Still better than Caesar

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Kakyoin(evil) said gently caress this painting and yeeted it into a tree, iconic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

JOHN CENA posted:

I like how the dub makes him even more over the top in that fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5OvfujRrqM