Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

I got bombed, on Reddit, for saying Yamato was a man if they say they're a man

to all my nakama, I'm sorry people are poo poo

This is the only place online I've found where you never have to worry about people INSISTING that Yamato is a woman. That vivre card really did irreparable damage to any and all discourse, though I suppose these idiots would find some other excuse anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

CodfishCartographer posted:

This is the only place online I've found where you never have to worry about people INSISTING that Yamato is a woman. That vivre card really did irreparable damage to any and all discourse, though I suppose these idiots would find some other excuse anyways.

It's especially wild that Oda going out of his way to show it still doesn't matter cause apparently the vivre card is the word of God even above the author himself.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

CodfishCartographer posted:

yes. there's no reasoning with that kind of person. their entire logic is yamato makes them horny and theyre straight so therefor because theyre not gay they conclude yamatos gender from there. this is why they ALSO accept kiku as a woman. their entire concept of gender is derived entirely on what gives them a boner.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They refuse to accept the truth that Yamato being a man makes him hotter.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

anime was right posted:

yes. there's no reasoning with that kind of person. their entire logic is yamato makes them horny and theyre straight so therefor because theyre not gay they conclude yamatos gender from there. this is why they ALSO accept kiku as a woman. their entire concept of gender is derived entirely on what gives them a boner.

:hmmyes:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Odyssey will be getting a demo on consoles in January and progress carries over into the full game.

https://twitter.com/BandaiNamcoUS/status/1604492502739951616

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

anime was right posted:

The classic Johnny Bravo line of reasoning

Siliziumleben
Dec 4, 2003

The scientists' findings were astounding! They discovered that the powers of the Metroid might be harnessed for the good of civilization!
pretty sure Oda left Yamato behind on Wano because he was getting tired of The Yamato Discourse and wanted to go back to drawing fun things

Siliziumleben fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Dec 24, 2022

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
my theory is that oda couldn't figure out how to have sanji to react in a way that isn't gross so he sidestepped the issue.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Split the difference: leave Sanji on Wano and bring Yamato instead.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

my theory is that oda couldn't figure out how to have sanji to react in a way that isn't gross so he sidestepped the issue.

Do you really think Oda disapproves of Sanjis behaviour?

I swear you guys are projecting a version of the man that shares your very much western values. He's not American or European, the same political consensus isn't present.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Siliziumleben posted:

pretty sure Oda left Yamato behind on Onigashima because he was getting tired of The Yamato Discourse and wanted to go back to drawing fun things

I think thats an absurdly dumb idea, if he wanted Yamato to join the crew he either would have right there or still plans on it in the future. I refuse to believe Oda flip flopping on including a new Straw Hat based on fan reaction

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

Split the difference: leave Sanji on Wano and bring Yamato instead.

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010

mabels big day posted:

I think thats an absurdly dumb idea, if he wanted Yamato to join the crew he either would have right there or still plans on it in the future. I refuse to believe Oda flip flopping on including a new Straw Hat based on fan reaction

no he’s right and every post like this delays yamato joining by 1 chapter im sorry

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Yamato is kinda boring and one note imo, I’m glad he didn’t join so we don’t have to hear about Oden every chapter

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

:mods:

Anyway, Yamato was extremely popular and had Oda's favorite thing to draw, big baps, so it's pretty ridiculous to think that he didn't join because of fan reaction.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
I have to wonder what all the in-story vacillating was for. Did Oda spend two years deciding whether or not he wanted to keep drawing Yamato, or were there arguments with his assistants and editorial who wanted Yamato to stick around?

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

hatty posted:

Yamato is kinda boring and one note imo, I’m glad he didn’t join so we don’t have to hear about Oden every chapter

I really do hope he reunites with the crew again, but yeah, I was kind of happy to get away from Wano. Just give me another year or so and I bet I'll be excited to see him again! I just need a little break from Oden-land.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Delphisage posted:

I have to wonder what all the in-story vacillating was for. Did Oda spend two years deciding whether or not he wanted to keep drawing Yamato, or were there arguments with his assistants and editorial who wanted Yamato to stick around?
The in-story vacillating to me still indicates that he wants Yamato to join, and wants to make it clear that Yamato will join, but not yet for some reason.

My guesses are either that he honestly thought it would do more justice to the idea of Wano for Yamato to remain a part of that world, but still wanted Yamato to be part of the crew eventually. I think the important thing to remember in this context is that Oda, if not the readers, seems to really like Momo. The idea of abandoning the adult child shogun of Wano right away might actually have been a sticking point.

My other guess would be he knew what arc he was writing next and didn't think Yamato would add much to it. And honestly, the more we see of Egghead the more I lean towards this idea. Yamato would have a starry eyed sense of amazement at literally any island he saw. Going straight to one of the most materially wonderous and unusual islands in the world isn't going to define Yamato all that well. This is Jimbei's first real arc and he's defining himself with his implacability in the face of absurdity. He's been pretty fun this arc so far. Yamato's awe and enthusiasm would basically make him another Franky in this situation, but with less weight behind it because Yamato would be in awe of a lot of things at this point.

The third option is that after an arc or two Wano will be relevant again in a big way and having Yamato personally rushing to find Luffy to tell him something will be a better moment for Yamato to join.

None of these are mutually exclusive options and it may be for a number of these reasons, or something else entirely. I know Yamato discourse got pretty bad on English speaking internet communities, but I think it's pretty unlikely that, or equivalent discourse elsewhere, is the reason Oda got cold feet. It seems like that idea puts too much weight on what's right in front of us and our experiences, without considering how little it probably matters to Oda and his editors.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lol at the idea that Oda pays enough attention to terminally online English language internet controversy to keep Yamato off the crew

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Oda paid for the one piece smilies

:zoro:
:yohoho:
:bignews:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Imho he decided against Yamoto joining because he knew this poo poo was gonna get wild like five minutes after Luffy finished punching Kaido and it would be hard to fit him in as in, since, poo poo, it’s kinda hard to fit the entire crew in at the best times let alone now.

Also I’m still like 70% sure he’s waiting for the bit where Yamato shows up after meeting up with Ivankov post hormone injection to scare everyone who thinks Kaido came back because that kinda comedy but is how Oda rolls.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Maybe as Jinbe just joined and would be hard for him to shine as a Straw Hat on his own if it was a dual crew pickup

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Cloks posted:

Oda paid for the one piece smilies

:zoro:

Was the Zoro smiley made in the manga or anime thread? Or was it made in some other thread?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Manga thread, specifically on this page:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2916930&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=19

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Delphisage posted:

Wano got pretty compressed towards the end and I think Yamato kinda suffered for that, there probably would have been more emphasis on his loyalty to Wano itself and decision to stay rather than join the crew if they had some more time to flesh things out.

More than that though, every single Straw Hat has had an entire story arc dedicated to them overcoming some kind of personal issue or undergoing some kind of character development before they formally join the crew. I guess you could argue Yam telling his dad to gently caress off fits the bill there, but having the mythical 10th slot filled by someone who appeared basically ex-nihilo halfway through Onigashima would have felt a little weird. If they show up again down the line and we're still at 9 crew members then all bets are off as far as I'm concerned.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I just choose to believe Oda had the general outline for crewmates and their roles from the jump (we've seen that one sketch of prototype designs of each role, and we even saw there was a prototype fishman/jimbei on there)

Because I believe Oda has known how many crewmates we would get and generally what they would be like from the start, either Yamato is joining for real in the future, or was never meant to join and all the hubbub was for nothing.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
my guess is yamato will "join" but get picked up after everyone figures out what the last battle is gonna look like and that oda sidelined him because hes gonna sail the world but its too much to juggle right now

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m still guessing Vivi and Carue will “join” back up before the end as well

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

yamato is part of the straw hat grand fleet that will assemble for the final war, which at this point probably includes the main friendlies from every . major island. at the very least Vivi, fishman island, zou and the minks, and all those guys from dressrosa in addition to the Wano cast

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Waffleman_ posted:

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Happy birthday, Chopper!!!

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

mabels big day posted:

I just choose to believe Oda had the general outline for crewmates and their roles from the jump (we've seen that one sketch of prototype designs of each role, and we even saw there was a prototype fishman/jimbei on there)

Because I believe Oda has known how many crewmates we would get and generally what they would be like from the start, either Yamato is joining for real in the future, or was never meant to join and all the hubbub was for nothing.
I believe that sketch lacked Robin or anyone vaguely equivalent to Robin. Plans change.

the bitcoin of weed posted:

yamato is part of the straw hat grand fleet that will assemble for the final war, which at this point probably includes the main friendlies from every . major island. at the very least Vivi, fishman island, zou and the minks, and all those guys from dressrosa in addition to the Wano cast
People keep getting confused about the Strawhat Grand Fleet. It's only those guys in particular who tried to swear fealty after Dressrossa that are actually part of the Grand Fleet. It's an idea they basically came up with on their own. There are a bunch more people out there who are allies and will probably show up at the final confrontation, but those guys from Dressrossa are the only "formal" Grand Fleet commanders, and the ones the narrator ominously said would be part of a major incident in the future.

In any case Yamato said he would sail with Luffy. Not sail on another ship and meet up with Luffy once.

Of course, that does leave plausible the worst case scenario- Yamato shows up for the final battle and sails with Luffy during the epilogue.

Who knows. We'll see. Yamato owns, One Piece owns, it'll be fine.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Yamato would have loved cool giant robot island :negative:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Eiba posted:

part of a major incident in the future.

They're fuckin with Shanks

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I just want to reiterate how adorable it is to have the reindeer's birthday on Christmas Eve

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
My uncle works at one piece and he says oda didn't have Yamato join the crew because not enough people saw film RED, true facts.

the bitcoin of weed posted:

Looking forward to the big final fight where the marines get beat the gently caress out by literally everyone cool, and some dudes who aren't cool but aren't bad either.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Eiba posted:

I believe that sketch lacked Robin or anyone vaguely equivalent to Robin. Plans change.

No, it definitely had her. The sketch absolutely had robin. I'm not going back to check the picture and if anyone posts it i wont look at it again either just because im just so sure i dont want to waste the time seeing it again, even though it would prove i was right. Oda does it again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Shanks meets Luffy and first thing he says is he killed Bart.