Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

:actually:, I think you’ll find Days of Ruin was a carbon copy of Heroes of Might and Magic III.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Tristrat is much better than FFT tbh.

Probably even better than FFTA2

But is it better than tactics ogre?????

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

fridge corn posted:

Narrator voice: It is not.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Tactics Ogre is a classic that doesn't compete with others in the modern day, though. It's not fair to compare Triangle Strategy to a seminal genre entry like they were released in the same year, that'd be completely unreasonable and--

oh

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Now Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children, that's a relatively new strategy game that competes with and surpasses the classics of the genre

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Now Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children, that's a relatively new strategy game that competes with and surpasses the classics of the genre

Is it actually any good? I only know it from that “Villain!!” screenshot.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I've gotten started with it Troubleshooter and while I'm disappointed the girl on the cover isn't actually the protag, it's a bona fide big SRPG with a *lot* of systems to mess around with. It just happens to replace FFT as a mechanical foundation for XCOM.

It's also very charmingly Korean. I look forward to having more time to dig into it.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Finished Type-0. Rejected the crystal's offer because a life of servituted to the crystal and being put in stasis until needed again seems lovely

The final cutscene was sad but I wasn't really sold on class 0 being fatally injured. They could walk talk and didn't seem that bad.

Then the mid-credits scene hit :stonk:

This is, apparently, the good ending.

I need to go for a walk. Final thoughts when I get back but I'll start with this: I loving love this game.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 24, 2022

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

CottonWolf posted:

Is it actually any good? I only know it from that “Villain!!” screenshot.

I like it a bunch.

Good game imo

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD: This might be my favorite single player Final Fantasy game. I recognize that this is a scalding, piping hot take that may cause sixth-degree buns (which is better than those poor fuckers at the White Tiger forward base got). The gameplay does take some getting used to, but honest I found it very... almost soothing, trance-like to figure out my character's attack rhythm and enemy patters to find opportunities for breaksights and killsights. every character has really great abilities. In terms of actual dialogue there's some... questionable choices, yo. I wasn't fond of a particular character's verbal tics, huh. The downtime activities system was a great idea, but was not well explained and not well-implemented. It still served to make me care about the characters and the cadets at the Akademia. There's shitloads of side content I didn't touch. It's good that the recommended level for missions is pretty conservative (at least on Cadet difficulty) because I was very behind on levels. I suppose I could've replayed old missions and ground in the open world more. I guess each character is based on a sort of archetype from Japanese media, but I am unfamiliar with those archetypes so it was a bit lost on me (but you had by the book smart girl Queen, arrogant meathead Nine, quiet girl Deuce, etc etc). All that made the hard moments hit harder.

It seems obvious to me that the game is a commentary on imperialism, warfare, WMDs, and even fossil fuels (the Crystals). Really wild stuff for a vidya game.

-Dragoon: Nine, yo. He's got, like, Spears and can Jump. He is fun to play as but I found him annoying as a character. Side note, every time someone said "The Azure Dragon" I wanted to scream "ESTINIEN!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deGvSwWQlEw

-Cid: Marshal Cid Aulstyne joins Doctor Cidolfus Demen Bunansa in the "Evil Cids" Club. He's the fascist militaristic leader of the Militesi Empire under the auspices of the White Tiger Crystal. Since the White Tiger Crystal is used to power Imperial technology, it actually slowly drains the Crystal of juice. Thus, he uses Ultima in the form a loving bomb to annihilate the Locrian Alliance and steal their Black Tortoise Crystal. He then uses treachery to ally with Concordia to take their Azure Dragon Crystal for "safekeeping", leaving only Rubrum's Vermillion Bird crystal. Once Rubrum manages to defeat Concordia and push the Militesi back to their capital. All this poo poo causes Tempus Finis, the end of the world, which causes Pandaemonium to rise from the depth so its Crystal can choose an Arbiter to judge the world and usher in Bad Times. Because Cid has achieved Agito (which is I guess a high state of magic crystal voodoo or some poo poo) he becomes the Rursan Arbiter and final boss of the game, threating to annihilate everyone he sees as inferior (which is an awful lot of people).

-Summons/Primals/Eikons: Oh boy. They're Eidolons in this one. There's only six useable in the game. To summon them, the summoner has to loving die and then they are a controllable character on a timer with cool, powerful attacks. There are also Verboten Eidolons which can only be summoned by a l'Cie (a champion chosen by the Crystal) and a fuckload of regular dudes who have to sacrifice themselves to summon them. Alexander is the only Verboten Eidolon to appear in the game and he's basically a nuclear loving bomb and annihilates the White Tigers in an absolutely horrific fashion. Other Verboten Eidolons mentioned in other media in the Orience setting appear to include Ramuh, Leviathan, and Knights of the Round. There are goddamn entire suicide squadrons in Rubrum dedicated to sacrificing themselves to summon Eidolons on the battlefield.

-Tonberries: You know this game is hosed up cuz they're actually peaceful and friendly, generally. Kurusame has a Tonberry bro who follows him around who has a neat little techy knife and lantern. There are enemy Tonberries in Pandaemonium, too.

-Chocobos: There are different types of Chocobos you can breed and ride around the world map. Interestingly, the on-foot overworld theme is a variant of the Chocobo theme anyway

-Moogles: Every class has a cute little Moogle who's in charge of teaching and helping them out, and Moogles give you updated orders on the field. They're pretty goofy looking in this game and have cute clothes. Love em.

-Final Boss: Oooh whee, it's The Rursan Arbiter, Marshall Cid Aulstyne. He's.... a dude with a snake body coming out of a giant weird biomechanical tigerish body and also has weird angel crystal wing-ish things behind him. It's a scripted fight you literally can't loose but it's visually impressive with lots of red lighting and getting crushed in his claws.

Biggs and Wedge: Not present afaik

Time to beat: Approx 19:43 in game, 20.1 hours on Steam.

Overall rating: loving Brutal/10. Unironically this might be my favorite single player FF game despite its many, many flaws. I really hope it gets a remake, or another game in the setting of Orience.

Up next: Let's.... let's lighten things up a bit. World of Final Fantasy, that looks cute and fun.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Dec 25, 2022

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

You people are forgetting that Third Age ends with you literally beating up the giant fiery eye of sauron at melee range like it's yu yevon and that kicks all kinds of rear end

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

FrostyPox posted:

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD stuff

Up next: Let's.... let's lighten things up a bit. World of Final Fantasy, that looks cute and fun.

Hell yea!

And yes WoFF is cute and fun and extremely charming. Kinda sad it never got a sequel to polish up some stuff that could've used it, but the concept(ff pokemon) was solid imo.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

fridge corn posted:

God no. Tactics Ogre set the standard that other games still fail to live up to tbh.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

You people are forgetting that Third Age ends with you literally beating up the giant fiery eye of sauron at melee range like it's yu yevon and that kicks all kinds of rear end

The Eye of Sauron also being his form in the movie was real dumb. Sauron had a form in the Third Age and showing his ominous form in baradur with Frodo and Sam close by would’ve been much more interesting than the dumb spotlight scene.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

WoFF crashes at launch and I have no idea how to fix it :negative:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I wound up hating World of Final Fantasy but if you wind up enjoying it you go dude

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

FrostyPox posted:

There might be a fix but the DLC won't work. SE really messed up.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Dec 25, 2022

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

FrostyPox posted:

It's for the best, really.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

FrostyPox posted:

No no that’s just WoFF

Very short game

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
If you really want to see it, you can try the Captain N version.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I got it to work, it was kind of a pain but it's fine now.

This is a weird loving game. I hate Tama's verbal the-tic but "FF ersatz Pokemon" is interesting enough to keep me playing for now

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I didn't realize it didn't recognize the Maxima DLC but I got a work around for that, too

It's a sign that I should skip this one.

I'm not going to skip it.

The DLC doesn't seem to have any new story content but it DOES have Y'shtola so it's mandatory

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

FrostyPox posted:

Finished Type-0. Rejected the crystal's offer because a life of servituted to the crystal and being put in stasis until needed again seems lovely

The final cutscene was sad but I wasn't really sold on class 0 being fatally injured. They could walk talk and didn't seem that bad.

Then the mid-credits scene hit :stonk:

This is, apparently, the good ending.

I need to go for a walk. Final thoughts when I get back but I'll start with this: I loving love this game.

I hear you have to play it a second time to get other main quests and a different ending or something. Have you done that yet?

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I hear you have to play it a second time to get other main quests and a different ending or something. Have you done that yet?

No, but I didn't uninstall it so I can do it later. When I finish my playthroughs of the other games I'm gonna go back and do NG+ Type-0 and the SoP DLCs (which will require me to play the game again cuz I did uninstall that one)

EDIT: The bad ending apparently triggers if you chose to become l'Cie instead of rejecting the Crystals offer (I rejected it). Then there's an actual serious good ending after beating it a second time.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

MAJOR tonal whiplash going straight into WoFF from Type-0, btw lmao

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah, World of Final Fantasy is much darker.

I think, actually. I remember It not really having a story until the second to last chapter of the game.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Triangle Strategy is more of an SNES/PSX Tactics Ogre clone, anyway, ranging from the way unit/class utility works (but removing generic units in favor of completely unique and niche units), stronger emphasis on physical attack positioning (everyone has counter attack in TO, everyon has a follow up in TS), choosing your own path/branching storylines and endings, hidden values influenced by your decisions affecting who you recruit. You also start with a flying archer unit in TS (Canopus in Tacitcs Ogre, pretty much, and she's called a Hawk Knight to TO's generic "hawk man" race).

...that, and Tactics Ogre's subtitle is called out by the main character in the "golden route" in that game.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Hey, they could also just be big Queen fans man.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Last Celebration posted:

Hey, they could also just be big Queen fans man.

Denam takes up the sword to bring a reality where fat bottomed girls make the world go round.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I reinstalled PC FF15 and was pleasantly surprised to see that it runs well now (with the help of some SpecialK tool). Getting like 90-120fps in 4k, though with some settings turned down. I find that high fps makes the biggest aesthetic difference in open world games played on a big screen, since you really notice when panning the camera around.

One thing I dislike about FF15's open world is how frequently you get harassed when wandering around on foot. Random hell-wolf things just popping up around me every minute or two, or imperial airships dropping on me. It also plays spooky foreboding music a lot. Which I guess is kind of appropriate to the setting, but the end result is that I just haul rear end from my car to the quest objective and then teleport back to the car.

Never played any of it's DLC beyond the first, so curious to try those at some point. Still need to finish Crisis Core first, though.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

WoFF:

Enna Kros: I'm god

So according to FF law, we have to kill her, right?

Now there's a bit more story, the Bahamutian Federation is gobbling up everyone. I assume we will be fighting Bahamut at some point. I think I read that the tradition Summons are super-strong Mirages so I'll have to investigate that at some point.

So far the game's pretty solid, good production values, the voice acting is acceptable. Not bad. Just got to Cornelia and we're off to the Nebula to catch more pokemans

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

FrostyPox posted:

WoFF:

Enna Kros: I'm god

So according to FF law, we have to kill her, right?

she took care of that part already. it's complicated

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Summons found! I tried to fight Ramuh at first but he beat me so rather than switch my Mirages I just fought Shiva and burned her.

Not much in terms of story other than the kids were apparently Pokemon Masters Big Billy Badass Mirage Wielders in the past and have lost their memories.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I’m finally getting Platinum in FFVIIR and the strategies for the secret boss gauntlet recommend having tons of maxed out HP/MP Up Materia, which I sure don’t have. What’s the best way to grind AP? I’m also not sure if I should get all the manuscripts so I can max all my weapons first. I can just boot up Ch 17 after beating the game and the simulator will be there for me, right?

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

So the kids are the kids of some super summoner lady who saved the world. Thanks, Chibi Yuna!

Of course, saving the world also allowed the Bahamutians to take over, but can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs!

I am an absolute clown and tried to fight a boss with a two stack when I should've had three.

Haven't tried summoning the heroes yet, but I guess I have Balthier and.... was it Squall? In addition to the Warrior of Light.

Several boxes have been checked already; I have a Chocobo Mirage, a Moogle Mirage, a Tonberry showed me the Arena and.... I think that's it. Still need a Dragoon, Cid, Biggs, and Wedge. I also hope Alexander is in this one, though the Colosseum gave me Alexander vibes.

So far, this is the worst Final Fantasy game but it's still pretty fun, I'd say. I am definitely looking forward to continuing.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FrostyPox posted:

So far, this is the worst Final Fantasy game but it's still pretty fun, I'd say.

You should play Mystic Quest next

WizardOfWhispers
Jul 21, 2022

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I’m finally getting Platinum in FFVIIR and the strategies for the secret boss gauntlet recommend having tons of maxed out HP/MP Up Materia, which I sure don’t have. What’s the best way to grind AP? I’m also not sure if I should get all the manuscripts so I can max all my weapons first. I can just boot up Ch 17 after beating the game and the simulator will be there for me, right?

Best place to grind AP is the start of the Shinra building infiltration, fighting through the parking garage - just restart and fight through that section several times to grind up some good Materia.

Manuscripts definitely help - getting 6 Materia slots and some useful abilities like Revive help a lot. However, since the last Manuscripts are scattered throughout beating the game on hard mode, you might just want to tackle the first few chapters. Between some of the extra VR missions and those first few, you can get into the last set of weapon upgrades. You don't need them to be maxed out to beat the post-game VR stuff (except the DLC super boss, but that's a whole other level).

And yeah, you can just hop right into Ch. 17 and should be able to access the simulator.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
it's been really interesting to hear your takes on the series, FrostyPox, especially on the more divisive games in the series. I don't think I've ever, at any point, heard someone say that Type-0 might be their overall favorite.

this is probably a bad suggestion on my part but you should try Legend of Dragoon at some point. it's a PS1 game made by Sony that was a huge deal at the time, it kind of goes 50/50 between trying to be an off-brand FF game while also trying to be it's own deeply strange thing. I have a soft spot for it but it's probably 100% nostalgia, I don't think it's regarded as particularly good these days. in the very least it has some very odd and cool (imo) dragon designs that are often insectoid, look to be a sort of biomechanical weapon or some mix of the two.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

You should play Mystic Quest next

actually just play this, it rules. it's light and breezy and can be completed in a handful of sessions.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Looks like I'll have to :filez: Mystic Quest and Legend of Dragoon if I want to play them. May give em a try at some point anyway

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

So as for my love for Type-0:

I recognize it as flawed. You spend more time trying to spend the downtime than engaging in missions. Being adequate level is kinda tricky. Maybe it was in the original instruction manual, but there's a lot of stuff that is not well documented. The levels are pretty ho-hum.

But despite its clunkiness, there's something very, very interesting about the combat, especially as it relates to speed, rhythm, attack patterns, etc. The world is incredibly cool and the story is absolutely captivating. The characters, if you can get past the awkward dialogue and questionable voice acting, feel like people. I care about them. I care about Akademia. The utter brutality and rawness, I feel, is handled in a way that's incredibly rare for a video game. I adore the aesthetic. From an objective standpoint, it's not the best FF game. But to me? It absolutely is the best FF game that isn't FFXIV.

I guess I find the story and setting so incredible it completely compensates for its flaws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

WizardOfWhispers posted:

Best place to grind AP is the start of the Shinra building infiltration, fighting through the parking garage - just restart and fight through that section several times to grind up some good Materia.

Manuscripts definitely help - getting 6 Materia slots and some useful abilities like Revive help a lot. However, since the last Manuscripts are scattered throughout beating the game on hard mode, you might just want to tackle the first few chapters. Between some of the extra VR missions and those first few, you can get into the last set of weapon upgrades. You don't need them to be maxed out to beat the post-game VR stuff (except the DLC super boss, but that's a whole other level).

And yeah, you can just hop right into Ch. 17 and should be able to access the simulator.

I’ve beaten everything on hard up to the beginning of Ch 17, so I’m only really missing like one or two abilities per weapon for each character. Those stupid HP/MP Up Materia take ages to level up though, I don’t know if I have the patience.