Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Al-Saqr posted:

What is with this complete disaster family those hair clip siblings are so loving wierd lol

???

They're literally the most normal, regular people in the entire cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
We now have a student version of Kobeni.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Scholtz posted:

???

They're literally the most normal, regular people in the entire cast.

That's what makes them feel so weird, they're normal people who react in normal ways yet still do anime things.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

RatHat posted:

I don’t think Pestilence would be a horseman since Control/Conquest is one.

I'm dumb and meant Famine.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

A running theme with the way devils are portrayed in Chainsaw Man is that they're all very childish and silly. They can be extremely powerful and deadly, but still have the attention span and brain power of a six year old.

It makes a surprising amount of sense. The memories and personality of a devil are reset each time they die and get revived and I doubt most of the devils manage to last longer than a few years. While they seem to retain some basic knowledge (they know how to speak, how to use their powers, have a basic idea about the world, etc...), constantly losing all of their experience and development means they are mostly stuck with the maturity and mindset of a literal child.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

There's so much good poo poo the anime has to cover first, but drat is anime thread making me really want to see Aki's "loving awesome" death animated like now.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Makima is one of the smarter and more mature devils we meet, but even she has her moments where she does something goofy and self-indulgent.

Like, once she has control over all the weapon people she mind controls them into talking about how much they all love her and each have a crush on her and want to compete over who gets to take her on a date. That moment had a very strong "teen girl romantic fantasy" feel to it, just played out in the most terrifying and disturbing way possible.

It seems to be one of Makima's go-tos for control in general from Aki, but that seems to be as much practical as anything. Love makes people not ask questions, so it's a low effort hight impact way to spin things. (It's also, depending on her mood, either a working substitute for what she actually wants, or an amusing joke on the subject. Look at her and Aki, and you get some pretty interesting insight into her thoughts. She does like him, on some level, and apologizes in a situation where she had no reason to lie for what she does to him. But it's obvious that he's her driver because she finds it loving hilarious to make the number 1 Devil hater in the whole division go through all this.)

It also fits with her complete failure to get Chainsaw Man and her solid understanding of Denji. Bringing Reze back, and having Makima offer all these people what Denji valued so much? That, if Pochita thought like Denji, would either get him pissed enough to devour her, or despairing enough to maybe lose. Not a guarantee, but at least it would have a good bit of bonus impact.

Pochita, though, doesn't give a crap.

sube
Nov 7, 2022

https://twitter.com/blupixl__/status/1605275621009281024?s=20&t=Q2Nsyw3ZANJ4M70lhLgaWw

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
I've almost finished Chainsaw Man volume 1.

My interpretation at this point is that It's Lord of the Rings from the point of view of The One Ring. and The Ring has a puppy crush on his boss Sauron.

Wollawolla
Jan 15, 2007

Are you gonna smash my skull and breathe my blood-mist?

RatHat posted:

I don’t think Pestilence would be a horseman since Control/Conquest is one.

Makima is also Pestilence by virtue of her ability to manipulate vermin.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Oh hey that's clever, I never thought of that.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

lmao

https://www.animesenpai.net/petition-started-to-remake-chainsaw-man-anime-with-a-new-director/

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

the bit about the sound design might actually be due to broadcast standards issues, an audio equivalent to say, epilepsy brightness ducking

from what i understand theres all sorts of rules on allowed dynamic range and even where the dialog track sits in the mix

i'm also a big fan of remake culture, every generation someone should have a chance to have a go at macbeth or devilman

atrus50 fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 26, 2022

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

atrus50 posted:

the bit about the sound design might actually be due to broadcast standards issues, an audio equivalent to say, epilepsy brightness ducking

from what i understand theres all sorts of rules on allowed dynamic range and even where the dialog track sits in the mix

i'm also a big fan of remake culture, every generation someone should have a chance to have a go at macbeth or devilman

I'm not against remakes but like maybe wait a few months before asking for one?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 26, 2022

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

atrus50 posted:

counterpoint: this person loving sucks & should be tied to railroad tracks

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

quote:

In contrast, on SNS there are opinions that the Mappa studio’s “Dorohedoro,” the animation production company TRIGGER would have been the ideal direction for the Chainsaw Man animation.

Lmfao

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
if that article used any more loaded language you could post it on fox news

also their evidence that its underperforming in ratings is...My Anime List???

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

its really the cherry on top lol, its so good I didn't want to spoil it

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

I'm having trouble parsing this sentence. Is there a word missing? What's SNS? Does this sentence make sense if I know anything about Dorohedoro?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Ragnar34 posted:

I'm having trouble parsing this sentence. Is there a word missing? What's SNS? Does this sentence make sense if I know anything about Dorohedoro?

Social Networking Service. It's just saying "People are saying this thing"

raocow
Apr 23, 2007

Keen Dreams

Please give me a chance to be a better person. -Willhart
that has me curious, are animé studio typically forward in anyway about their earnings and stuff like that? like will mappa ever outright say if/how the CSM gamble did for them ?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

if that article used any more loaded language you could post it on fox news

also their evidence that its underperforming in ratings is...My Anime List???

The site where Chainsaw Man has nearly as many viewers as the next two most popular shows combined, and where it's still keeping a score in the top 50 of all time, despite having no previous season to act as a filter, and having the kind of hype that means a lot of people who aren't interested? Yeah, real good evidence of a failure.

I've been tracking Japanese streaming and viewer numbers as best I can, and Chainsaw Man seems to be doing pretty well. Live numbers aren't available since it didn't make the top ten (being a midnight anime is a big handicap there most of the time, and this season is stacked), but for streaming, it's only behind Spy X Family and (for one week) the original Ultraman. It's even had weeks where it's in first place with male viewers. There's also high female and younger audience viewership, so like Spy X Family (but less so) they've got a wide spread of viewers instead of primarily (like third place series Gundam) holding a limited core demographic.

However, there hasbeen a persistant Japanese anti-fandom trying to paint the lack of JJK style boosts to volume 12 as a sign of failure, basically looking for any excuse to boo the show since before it started. Don't know why, but it's definitely a thing.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
This is the first I’ve heard of any backlash to the CSM anime, it’s basically unbelievable to me. I don’t know what someone’s expectations would be for the series if this isn’t up to their standards. Literally the only thing keeping this from being the definitive number one show right now is that this has been an incredible season for anime in general. Bleach is back and actually rules, there’s a great Gundam going on, Mob Psycho is happening, so is Spy x Family.

Standing up with those puts Chainsaw Man’s popularity as very impressive.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
The manga is REALLY good though

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

PringleCreamEgg posted:

This is the first I’ve heard of any backlash to the CSM anime, it’s basically unbelievable to me. I don’t know what someone’s expectations would be for the series if this isn’t up to their standards. Literally the only thing keeping this from being the definitive number one show right now is that this has been an incredible season for anime in general. Bleach is back and actually rules, there’s a great Gundam going on, Mob Psycho is happening, so is Spy x Family.

Standing up with those puts Chainsaw Man’s popularity as very impressive.

This is literally one of the best seasons since like the 90s, it's crazy how much good stuff is airing.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

the only complaint i could see being leveled at the anime is that it's kind of s serious adaptation whereas chainsaw man could lend itself to something less serious.

that being said i love the direction they went in trying to go for a cinema feel and it whips so much rear end.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
These people should be forced to watch the Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer anime so they learn appreciate what they have. :colbert:

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

when all is said and done, my opinion of the anime will hinge entirely on how well they adapt Kobeni's Day Out!

but honestly, Mappa is probably the best studio for this adaptation. but that doesn't mean they know how to elevate it imo. somehow Bocchi ended up having a more interesting texture, and that says more about Mappa's timidity than anything else. timidity that somehow is completely absent in the EDs? like come on thats some prime grade freak poo poo.

i'll reread the manga yearly until the day i die but i can't imagine the anime sticking around in my thoughts, at this point in time

Ramie fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Dec 26, 2022

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

catgirlgenius posted:

when all is said and done, my opinion of the anime will hinge entirely on how well they adapt Kobeni's Day Out!

but honestly, Mappa is probably the best studio for this adaptation. but that doesn't mean they know how to elevate it imo. somehow Bocchi ended up having a more interesting texture, and that says more about Mappa's timidity than anything else. timidity that somehow is completely absent in the EDs? like come on thats some prime grade freak poo poo.

i'll reread the manga yearly until the day i die but i can't imagine the anime sticking around in my thoughts, at this point in time

You've got a pretty bad definition of timidity in use here.

What Mappa's doing might not be your speed, but it's the product of a concrete, committed artistic vision, one that that's firm in the face of opposition.

Chainsaw Man the anime is visually grounded, trying to feel as close as possible to a live action film. It's downplaying some elements from the source (and amplifying others) to maximize that effect. Original scenes like Himeno stumbling to her bedroom and Aki's morning routine exist to make the anime feel like a real world where terrifying and ridiculous things happen, rather than an absurd world where anything can happen (as seen in FLCL, for an example of the opposite approach done to perfection).

You might not like it. You could even argue that it's the wrong choice, that leaning into the absurd might make for a better anime. But it's not a cowardly decision. It's one that takes guts, especially with the amount of money on the line, and the difficulties involved in handling 'realistic' character animation rather than exaggerate facial gestures and allow traditional shorthand.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Dec 26, 2022

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

the main criticism appears to be that mappa actually understands the tone CSM is going for in aggregate instead of thinking it's a bunch of sugar-cereal hyperviolence and wall to wall madcap insanity, which is what a bunch of people mistakenly think the manga is

like there's certainly criticism to be had (while there are plenty of good cuts in the series it absolutely suffers from the MAPPA curse of "everything must be maximum frames all the time" undercutting some gags and introducing blocking issues that aren't present in the manga) a lot of the people I've seen upset about the adaptation seem to be upset that it isn't, essentially, Devil May Cry 3, which ignores all of the contemplative bits and character moments that hold the whole thing together. These are perverts that would cut the Makima and Denji movie date or the main trio visiting the graves of Aki's family so they could shove in more fight scenes.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

These are perverts that would cut the Makima and Denji movie date or the main trio visiting the graves of Aki's family so they could shove in more fight scenes.

:psyduck:

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
if you think the anime is failing the manga you are straight up a dumb mother fucker

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the end-of-episode cuts are weirdly placed, the CGI clunks occasionally and some scenes are too stretched out (especially in the last episode), but this is probably as good of an adaptation as CSM could have gotten. its core is the contrast between the mundane and the horrific and mappa's decision to elevate the former was arguably more unique and absolutely successful

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

There are people out there that think that any scene that isn't some sort of combat scene is useless filler. Please add "filler" to the list of words people throw around that has been divorced from its original context, says me, a Bleach veteran :corsair:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The petition thing is basically nothing. This has been a very above-average adaptation IMO. I don't really see where some of the other good adaptations this season can really be compared to eachother.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Happy Landfill posted:

There are people out there that think that any scene that isn't some sort of combat scene is useless filler.

so this is why fairy tail refused to perish

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Happy Landfill posted:

There are people out there that think that any scene that isn't some sort of combat scene is useless filler. Please add "filler" to the list of words people throw around that has been divorced from its original context, says me, a Bleach veteran :corsair:
I would describe the Bount arc in the Bleach anime as a cognitohazard

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
the manga is better than the anime, but that's usually the case. I'm not surprised that it's better.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://www.youtube.com/live/aRRt4_JnCBw?feature=share

Pochita Barks Nonstop Until the Chainsaw Man Finale

Incredible content, Crunchyroll. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
they should have disabled the chat. oh well