Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I bought a cheap electric log splitter for the lake and it's been worth every dollar so far. Slow but gets the job done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Motronic posted:

That 22 ton is like the bog standard chinese one that everyone including me has except the put an electric motor on it instead of gas. Works great. Providing the electric motor spins enough to make the hydraulics chooch (and I've no doubt it will) that should work just fine.

It's only a 2hp motor whereas the equivalent in a gas engine, puts out around 7hp-does that concern you? Or is HP not a great measure when it comes to powering hydraulics?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I vote saw.

https://i.imgur.com/3g0CYK7.mp4

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

No no no no no no no no no no no no

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

It's only a 2hp motor whereas the equivalent in a gas engine, puts out around 7hp-does that concern you? Or is HP not a great measure when it comes to powering hydraulics?

That's gonna slow things down for sure. Are you in a hurry? :)

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

sharkytm posted:

No no no no no no no no no no no no

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Fwiw, I've heard hydraulics guys say that powering hydraulics with an electric motor, you can typically get by with half the hp because its pretty much instant power/torque vs a gas engine that has a power band.

Obviously having the appropriate amount of electricity to power the motor is important for this to work.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

What's the current state of thermal imaging devices for the DIYer? (cost and quality)

I'm pretty sure I want to (eventually) add insulation to various areas of my new(old) home and if I can look into this myself versus having to get contractors out that would be ideal.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
You can probably rent one vs buying.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Probably not as convenient but you can get an IR thermometer for like $30.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

tangy yet delightful posted:

What's the current state of thermal imaging devices for the DIYer? (cost and quality)

I'm pretty sure I want to (eventually) add insulation to various areas of my new(old) home and if I can look into this myself versus having to get contractors out that would be ideal.

Talk to your local fire department. They probably have a high end Flir for locating hidden fires and might be willing to come out and use it on your house. There's also the cell phone add-on Flir One module, but they're still a couple hundred bucks.

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017

tangy yet delightful posted:

My local public library has a couple, try yours?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
is there any kind of standardization on belts? The drive belt in my snow blower gave up the ghost and we just got dumped on by a blizzard, with another on the way apparently. I can find the exact Greenworks part number and order a replacement, but that'll come too late to help me with the current conditions. Wondering if I can take the old one down to like an auto-shop (there's one within walking distance) and they'll have something that's at least "good enough"?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

FISHMANPET posted:

is there any kind of standardization on belts? The drive belt in my snow blower gave up the ghost and we just got dumped on by a blizzard, with another on the way apparently. I can find the exact Greenworks part number and order a replacement, but that'll come too late to help me with the current conditions. Wondering if I can take the old one down to like an auto-shop (there's one within walking distance) and they'll have something that's at least "good enough"?

Yeah, def have gone to the AUTOZONE with a weird belt and they've hooked me up.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Thanks for all the great ideas.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

FISHMANPET posted:

AutoZone has a measuring tool that checks width and length. Pro tip: buy 2 and write the number on the inside of the belt guard. If you don't have any, get spare shear pins as well.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Thanks tool thread! She was surprised and thrilled. It's a screenshot from the video I took while evaluating it in person. I don't have a better picture of it right. Excalibur scroll saw with the safety cover over the belt/pulleys snapped off leaving only sharp metal edges for you to slice your hand on.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
That pressure washer I mentioned I brought home before christmas, been in my garage since then, took a look at it today. Looks like a pretty simple design, water comes in on the bottom, the 4 pistons raise the pressure and all seem to be joined on the high pressure side in "parallel" fashion.

Brass construction, can't see no cracks. Supposed to leak water around where the parts meets up.

Things I don't get about this construction:

-The two adjustable knobs, they are not connected to anything, it's just two old hoses that go around the frame and end up a the back connected to nothing. Behind the control panel in between the two knobs there is a T-fitting that goes downwards to a hose, which is connected to nothing. I think that the two hoses probably are meant to be hooked up to containers of detergent or somesuch and there's a missing injector valve. I won't be using these anyway as they sap pressure from the washer. Just get one of those foam spraying guns instead.

-The oil knob is what really makes me wonder though. What the heck does it do? I know the housing is likely oiled for obvious reasons, but I dunno what this thing is for. Can't be filling can it? I didn't have time to fiddle with it much but it seems like it's just a screw cork.

Will be disassembling it further at any rate. Gonna get the motor off first.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 25, 2022

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Guyver posted:

Probably not as convenient but you can get an IR thermometer for like $30.

Correct, but these aren't useful at all for finding cold/hot spots in household insulation.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Good to know, thanks.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

H110Hawk posted:

Thanks tool thread! She was surprised and thrilled. It's a screenshot from the video I took while evaluating it in person. I don't have a better picture of it right. Excalibur scroll saw with the safety cover over the belt/pulleys snapped off leaving only sharp metal edges for you to slice your hand on.

Can't get much nicer than that, congrats.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I got a very thoughtful Christmas present. Some merchandise from my favorite team.

May I be blessed by the patron saint of DIY dads, St. Tom Silva

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

canyoneer posted:

I got a very thoughtful Christmas present. Some merchandise from my favorite team.

May I be blessed by the patron saint of DIY dads, St. Tom Silva

This absolutely rules

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Can anyone recommend a dust collection solution for a miter saw?

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
The built in collection chute on most miter saws is pretty terrible. Once you match the fitting and get it hooked up a vacuum is only going to catch maybe 50% of the dust.

The Festool Kapex does better but still only gets like 80%.

Some creative internet woodworkers have developed some model specific chutes that you can buy or 3d print for yourself, try searching your model on etsy. Best option to keep your saw portable.
https://youtu.be/ZMgtYyHlrA0

Otherwise I think the best solution is a full cabinet and hood arrangement that seals off as much area around and behind the saw as possible, with a full dust collector pulling air into it. Not a portable setup.
https://youtu.be/PzLR4Z5y7QY

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Agreed. Without a hood any solution will necessarily be optimized for a specific material width. So if you find yourself always cutting the same size stock you'll be able to get away without one.

Also for the miter itself you want an extractor (shop vac is fine) for a hood you'd want the higher volume of a dust collector.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I just ordered one of these to take the chill off my shop a bit: https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200921642_200921642

It can use diesel or kerosene. I can't find kerosene at a gas station anywhere around here-just packaged at the hardware store for like $10/gallon. Will running gas station diesel be noticeably smellier/dirtier? I've never used a heater like this before.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I just ordered one of these to take the chill off my shop a bit: https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200921642_200921642

It can use diesel or kerosene. I can't find kerosene at a gas station anywhere around here-just packaged at the hardware store for like $10/gallon. Will running gas station diesel be noticeably smellier/dirtier? I've never used a heater like this before.

I had a Sears 50k one years ago that created nauseous fumes, but other people (itt, I think) who've owned those types have said they're great, odorless. I bought a 40k btu propane heater from HD years ago, and it's been awesome. Come to find, they're off the market or banned now, something.

Idk if you can find graded diesel, try a gallon and see? I think there's also diesel additives to burn cleaner...(not a diesel knower)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

The fuel does not matter. How it burns does.

I run red fuel in mine (home heating oil). When they are in good repair and properly adjusted they are great. When they aren't they are a nightmare.

This probably covers one of the two kinds you may have ordered: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU9zqNiTGtQ

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Back on my snowblower question - I got someone to handle any blizzards so I'm looking to get a nice electric snow shovel, and now I'm wondering if it's worth getting something that I can swap out the snow shovel attachment for a lawn mower for a small lawn. Anyone have a combo they're happy with?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I am imagining all the batteries being dead when you want to use tools.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I converted a bunch of those Ride on cars from whatever they came as to 20V Dewalt batteries for my nieces and nephews, and we never had an issues with dead batteries. Mostly because the kids knew not to take batteries out of tools to play with.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
No need to worry about batteries with this I picked up last night

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Calidus posted:

I am imagining all the batteries being dead when you want to use tools.

I figured it was just a matter of time before someone got in on this. The real question is who is going to make the 40/60/80v version.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Speaking of batteries, pretty interesting bit of info from Matthias Wandel today about Dewalt (and possibly other brand batteries)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJHKoo2shBA

Basically, it appears that due to the way they are designed if you leave them for months on a shelf one of the cells can discharge more than the others. Then if you run it flat there's a risk of pushing that one cell so low it can't charge anymore and kills the whole pack. So I guess... make sure to only shallow discharge a disused cell or maybe just pop it onto the charger to rebalance it before use if you've left it sitting idle for quite a while.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I think that happened to one of my 9ah Flexvolt batteries. I can't get one cell to charge now so it's basically useless. So pissed it happened to easily the most expensive battery I have.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I'm pretty sure that'll happen to larger lead acid batteries like 4D equipment batteries too.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
It's a known issue with the Makita batteries. The BMS runs on one cell and will kill it to the point of tripping the low voltage safety.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

Squibbles posted:

Speaking of batteries, pretty interesting bit of info from Matthias Wandel today about Dewalt (and possibly other brand batteries)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJHKoo2shBA

Basically, it appears that due to the way they are designed if you leave them for months on a shelf one of the cells can discharge more than the others. Then if you run it flat there's a risk of pushing that one cell so low it can't charge anymore and kills the whole pack. So I guess... make sure to only shallow discharge a disused cell or maybe just pop it onto the charger to rebalance it before use if you've left it sitting idle for quite a while.

Wonder if that's what happened to my eGo mower battery. Started acting up after a layoff through the winter when I just threw it in the mower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

His Divine Shadow posted:

No need to worry about batteries with this I picked up last night

Please don't let anyone ride that, though.