Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

Thank you for this by the way. I walked into my local locksmith and they smugly told me they only stock the lovely kwikset I have (literally pulling my exact doorknob out from under the counter) for KW1. They have emtek and medeco as well and all but said out loud that I was a dumbo for even entertaining putting a KW1 keyway into an emtek lock. They suggested I go buy a baldwin from homedepot, since Kwikset owns them now ( :rip: ) I should be able to get it with their keyway in it. Yale, Schlage, etc are only going to have their keyways available.

He also said they use 3-in-1 lube now not dry graphite. Maybe I'll try that as well, not like I have much to lose here.

It was overall pretty annoying, my key was embossed with their logo when I walked in the door and to get laughed at - eat me. I won't be back. I know I'm not a commercial place needing a patented keyway master system on 1000 doors, but maybe it's a small community too.

Yea, find a different locksmith... no real excuse for mocking you.

We've got emtek/schlage on all our doors, I just took them all to the locksmith and got them keyed alike.

We've been happy with the emtek stuff, is there a particular reason you need the kwikset keyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

devicenull posted:

Yea, find a different locksmith... no real excuse for mocking you.

We've got emtek/schlage on all our doors, I just took them all to the locksmith and got them keyed alike.

We've been happy with the emtek stuff, is there a particular reason you need the kwikset keyway?

I either need 1x kw1 or 7x other plus a dozen keys. Our whole house is keyed alike already so I am trying to not need to replace them all.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Schlage specifies lubriplate 130-AA for cylinder lube

https://www.amazon.com/Lubriplate-130-AA-Multi-Purpose-Calcium-L0044-086/dp/B010TRWJBQ

And I finally bought some and did my sticky deadbolts and they have never worked nicer.

Edit:re-reading your origibal complaint I also used it to lube the inner workings of the knob and it also regained some nice springiness-- worth a try for $14

Qwijib0 fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Dec 24, 2022

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I'm looking to get into knife sharpening in a more serious way. I have a fine diamond bench stone that works well for normal upkeep, and I've been getting better at using it, but I'd like to get a bit more equipment and learn how to repair/reprofile edges on knives that have been seriously neglected. Is there a good thread to post in about this/does someone have a book or Youtube series or something about this? There's a lot of information on sharpening online but it's really hard to parse signal from noise.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

Kenning posted:

I'm looking to get into knife sharpening in a more serious way. I have a fine diamond bench stone that works well for normal upkeep, and I've been getting better at using it, but I'd like to get a bit more equipment and learn how to repair/reprofile edges on knives that have been seriously neglected. Is there a good thread to post in about this/does someone have a book or Youtube series or something about this? There's a lot of information on sharpening online but it's really hard to parse signal from noise.

TFR has a good active knife thread you ought to ask in.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3417183&pagenumber=467&perpage=40

Probably some knowledge and an appropriate thread in GWS too.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Got a dumb question not sure if its wiring or interior design related tho so i will try here in this general thread

I got wall sconces in the living room of my apartment that i want to get rid of and replace with ceiling lights. Im tired of the glare in my eyes from having the main lights in the room on a single wall and the shadows that get cast by them.

Problem tho: Theres no power in the ceiling that i know of and i dont really want to go through the huge pain to have it put in.

Is there any type of fixture that can be hooked up to the wall and have a chain travel up the wall and out into the middle of the ceiling?
It seems like everything kinda like what i am describing is a plug in light, like to an outlet. I'm talking about a permanent fixture.

Can i just get ceiling light with a very long custom chain and suspend it off a hook in the ceiling and lead the chain to the hookups in the wall? I feel like that might be stupid looking unless there is actually a type of product meant to be installed that way.

Visual reference of one of the sconces

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
That is definitely a thing that exists and that you can do. Google "swag light"

I personally think it'll look bad, but I think it usually does anyway. It is definitely a thing people do though

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Anne Whateley posted:

That is definitely a thing that exists and that you can do. Google "swag light"

I personally think it'll look bad, but I think it usually does anyway. It is definitely a thing people do though

Thanks! I kinda think it already looks bad too tho so maybe a different, less blinding bad is an upgrade.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Final Blog Entry posted:

TFR has a good active knife thread you ought to ask in.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3417183&pagenumber=467&perpage=40

Probably some knowledge and an appropriate thread in GWS too.

Thanks for the link!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Real hurthling! posted:

Thanks! I kinda think it already looks bad too tho so maybe a different, less blinding bad is an upgrade.

You could get some of that rectangular conduit stuff and run some wires up higher that way. Not exactly up to code and it'll still look kind of bad, but maybe less bad

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Real hurthling! posted:

You're in an apartment. Running a fabric- covered trailer cord from a ceiling-hung light to a screw-in receptacle in one of the wall sconce sockets will work fine, leaving only a small hole in the ceiling to spackle up when you move out.

(fabric wire): https://www.etsy.com/market/fabric_covered_electrical_cord

vvv needs more macrame swag lamp vvv

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 28, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Just need the right low table and hookah to go along with the opium den theme.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I am trying estimate materials for finishing part of my basement. The concrete has a stamped/poured brick pattern with 1/2” deep groves to it, can you still use foam board even with an uneven surface?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

PainterofCrap posted:

You're in an apartment. Running a fabric- covered trailer cord from a ceiling-hung light to a screw-in receptacle in one of the wall sconce sockets will work fine, leaving only a small hole in the ceiling to spackle up when you move out.

(fabric wire): https://www.etsy.com/market/fabric_covered_electrical_cord

vvv needs more macrame swag lamp vvv

Yeah the styling of available swag lamps is pretty bad from what i'm seeing. Might have to do something custom or give up and just replace the sconces with new sconces that doesnt irritate my eyes so much.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Installing a hardwood floor in my kids gameroom. The gameroom is basically the second floor of my auto workshop.

What is a good underlayment to use these days? Last time I did hardwood everyone just used tar paper.

The subfloor is just thick tongue and groove OSB. Should I put down some plywood over it? The seams are a bit raised, is that going to be a big deal?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Serious question - are you set on hardwood? Because for a kids playroom I would be all about the life proof plank flooring. It won't look as nice as hardwood but it takes a beating. It's got underlayment integrated into it so it's one and done.

Edit: underlayment

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Dec 31, 2022

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

H110Hawk posted:

Serious question - are you set on hardwood? Because for a kids playroom I would be all about the life proof plank flooring. It won't look as nice as hardwood but it takes a beating. It's got integrated into it so it's one and done.

Yeah, I've had great success with hardwood in the main house ( it's lasted 60 years ) and am going for it in the game room. There will be large rugs.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

spacetoaster posted:

Yeah, I've had great success with hardwood in the main house ( it's lasted 60 years ) and am going for it in the game room. There will be large rugs.

Carry on. I love hardwood and have it throughout my house but put the much cheaper lifeproof planks down in my office/craft space because I wanted a hard surface (no rugs) and the ability to spill on it.

No idea around your actual questions.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Real hurthling! posted:

Yeah the styling of available swag lamps is pretty bad from what i'm seeing. Might have to do something custom or give up and just replace the sconces with new sconces that doesnt irritate my eyes so much.

Check out https://www.grandbrass.com. They have everything lamp related.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

kid sinister posted:

Check out https://www.grandbrass.com. They have everything lamp related.

Thanks

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Another dumb question. The hinge on the shower door lets a lot of water through. I bought a new hinge cover that has no gaps but i cant get the screws out of the old hinge. They wont budge manually or with a drill.
Are these things usually glued in there or do you figure they just got some shower corrosion and need to be sprayed with wd40 and that will loosen them up?
I dont want to strip the screws and gently caress up the door, i just wanna stop the leak.

Heres the hinge and im holding the new 1-way plate that is supposed to use the same screws

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Use penetrating lubricant not wd40.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Ja PB Blaster is fabulous.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
That's a hinge in the glass? Are you sure there isn't sometihng on the other side you need to retain to make the bolt loosen? Also make sure you are very sure you're being very gentle around all those tempered glass edges. No taps.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

:nono: bad idea all around, do this one manually

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I am looking for a particular sort of tape but I don't know what to search for.

Backstory: I moved house and used professional movers. They provided boxes and used this white, tearable, polymer-based tape to seal them. Loads of it was left over and I find it so loving useful around the house. It's thicker than brown parcel tape, it tears nicely because it feels slightly stretchy, and it's reasonably strong too. There are no markings on the central roll so I've no idea what brand or product it is. I'm using it for all sorts of stuff, mainly sealing boxes.

Does this sound at all familiar? Here's a picture, see the end where I've torn it off.

All the search results either ignore the tearable aspect, or are for paper-based tape.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Looks like pvc to me. Is it plasticy?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Yes, it's plastic that stretches very slightly before tearing. Thinking about it it's a bit like electrical tape, but doesn't stretch as much, it's not quite as thick.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Did you try calling the moving company? Might be worth a shot

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I am looking for a particular sort of tape but I don't know what to search for.

Backstory: I moved house and used professional movers. They provided boxes and used this white, tearable, polymer-based tape to seal them. Loads of it was left over and I find it so loving useful around the house. It's thicker than brown parcel tape, it tears nicely because it feels slightly stretchy, and it's reasonably strong too. There are no markings on the central roll so I've no idea what brand or product it is. I'm using it for all sorts of stuff, mainly sealing boxes.

Does this sound at all familiar? Here's a picture, see the end where I've torn it off.

All the search results either ignore the tearable aspect, or are for paper-based tape.

This stuff?

https://www.amazon.com/3M-General-P...ps%2C102&sr=8-2

DC to Daylight
Feb 13, 2012

Seconding the 3M 764 - Awesome tape. I like the 2" myself.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

anyone have a recommendation for wood-look laminate floor color touch up?

i've found these two https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/varathane/furniture-wood-floor-and-wood-laminate-markers

https://www.homedepot.com/p/CalFlor-FloorFix-Wood-and-Laminate-Floor-Repair-Kit-FL49111CF/303401960

you can a bit of the transition came off. this would definitely be easier than having it replaced

but I think something a bit "stickier" might be better, like a pencil or putty instead of a marker

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Roberts-3-oz-Brown-Wood-Laminate-and-Vinyl-Putty-PC7725/204846101

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 31, 2022

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Can you post another photo? I’m not sure what you’re looking to fix. If it’s that little gap there between the threshold and the flooring, that’s practically imperceptible. Use a brown caulk if you insist on filling it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Can you post another photo? I’m not sure what you’re looking to fix. If it’s that little gap there between the threshold and the flooring, that’s practically imperceptible. Use a brown caulk if you insist on filling it.

I think they mean the little white fleck is like a damaged area on the plank's veneer.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
The marker is going to be fine to fix that, you will never see it once it's brown-ish

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

yes the white spot. but i got a minwax marker and the marker didn't stick to the surface of that white spot at all.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
A new transition is $20. So is one of the things that I clicked on. I would suggest that or $0.99 nail polish. Wet n wild is the cheapest stuff near us. I assume inflation has made it $2 now. The markers are meant to stain stuff, that white isn't permeable.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

A new transition is $20. So is one of the things that I clicked on. I would suggest that or $0.99 nail polish. Wet n wild is the cheapest stuff near us. I assume inflation has made it $2 now. The markers are meant to stain stuff, that white isn't permeable.

well the idea with the marker is that if it happens anywhere else i'll have it for that. and of course maybe the transition won't be at a stock at some point, etc.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

actionjackson posted:

well the idea with the marker is that if it happens anywhere else i'll have it for that. and of course maybe the transition won't be at a stock at some point, etc.

Transitions will always be available so long as people have two different rooms or floors in their homes. If you have trouble with the touch up stuff, it's an option.

I don't know what that white material is but I bet "paint" is a better choice than the marker. I wasn't kidding when I said nail polish - it's a cheap and reasonably durable lacquer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Any suggestions for some sturdy, extra-strong hooks that I can put into a wall and hang a ladder onto inside my garage? I have a 10-foot fibreglass ladder than needs to be hanged onto a wall but the usual L-shaped wall hanging brackets that I've used for smaller aluminum aren't strong enough and bend under the longer ladder's weight. Hoping to avoid no name made in China crap found all over Amazon.com

melon cat fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jan 1, 2023