Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

FCKGW posted:

Going through WaPo's live updates now and this one jumped out at me
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2022/12/22/jan-6-committee-report-transcripts-live-updates/

Attorney takes DOJ job for a month to try and pad out his LinkedIn page

Honestly I respect this move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

FCKGW posted:

Going through WaPo's live updates now and this one jumped out at me
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2022/12/22/jan-6-committee-report-transcripts-live-updates/

Attorney takes DOJ job for a month to try and pad out his LinkedIn page

Lol can't really blame him, I took months off of my resume after starting a job in December and getting laid off the next year, two times in a row. Though to be fair I didn't take those jobs expecting them to end so soon

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

yeah can't blame someone for padding out their resume in this capitalist hellhole

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

there aren't many people that i would describe visually as "swollen" but trump sure is one of them

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
That man is at least 70% mechanically separated meat.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Didn't the DOJ ask the committee NOT to make any referrals earlier?

If the DOJ is going to prosecute Trump, then yeah, they're going to charge him something that occurred outside of his role as president. I disagree with the "Lol they'll never prosecute a seditionist because they're rich" narrative. The nothingburgerness of the committee is that the DOJ is not going to prosecute a president for anything they did as a president, because that'll set a precedent for future presidents that will make them hesitant. One of the jobs as president IS to break the law, after all. Do they really want to create a historical moment that will cause a future wartime president to think twice about committing capitalism-saving war crimes around out of fear that they may cross a line and become the next Trump?

But throwing Trump in jail for tax evasion? Sure, then the president can continue being a bastard, they just need to pay their taxes *wink*.

Because a reasonable President would be able to use their words and actions to explain the rationale for controversial things.

Unfortunately Trump's are mostly distilled into gently caress [you personally // minorities // my political opponents // educated citizens // anyone who isn't kissing my rear end].

And that is not the role of a President.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Do you believe that the significance of the potential future Hunter Biden laptop committee will depend on the committee's written goals? Let's assume they will write a very fancy statement that amounts to "We want to slander Biden by going after his son." Do you think it's wrong for people to call it a "nothingburger" if they achieve those goals?

If they achieve their goal such that they slander Biden enough to the general public that it has political effects (i.e. less people vote for him) then obviously it would be wrong to call it a nothingburger.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Charlz Guybon posted:

If they achieve their goal such that they slander Biden enough to the general public that it has political effects (i.e. less people vote for him) then obviously it would be wrong to call it a nothingburger.
Right, if the laptop committee was successful enough in slandering the president that it, say, made a difference in the 2024 election I would say the committee was quite a somethingburger.

But if it didn’t move the needle enough for there to be a positive outcome for the Republicans? I’d say that’s a burger made of air.

Do you think that’s a better metric for judging the significance of the potential Hunter Biden committee, instead of whether or not they “achieved their written goal”? Should we use a similar metric for the 1/6th committee?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
The ol, let’s use something subjective and difficult to measure as the basis of our discussion so everyone can be wrong/right as I insist.

I’ll start:

If that’s your metric then the J06 committee has been wildly successful as Republicans rush away from him as a loser who loses and is set up to continue losing largely by the textual framing of the committee.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Murgos posted:

The ol, let’s use something subjective and difficult to measure as the basis of our discussion so everyone can be wrong/right as I insist.

I’ll start:

If that’s your metric then the J06 committee has been wildly successful as Republicans rush away from him as a loser who loses and is set up to continue losing largely by the textual framing of the committee.
I can see that. If I were to judge the committee on the basis of "owning Trump", then yeah, I can give them some merit. I feel that it did hurt Trump's image as well.

But I think to judge the committee as the Democratic party’s response to protecting America’s democracy from fascism, and whether or not the outcome is the destruction of the fascistic party who committed the insurrection, is a more ethical perspective to have here.

“Owning Trump”, or getting the Republicans to ditch Trump doesn't address what's actually at stake: The insurrection was coordinated by and supported by the fascist sect of the Republican party (which seems to be all of them now, by the way) and they’re still going to be the driving force of the party after Trump. Even though the Republicans have received a historic midterm loss, they are continuing to demonstrate a complete willingness to dismantle our democracy and commit genocide on it’s citizens once they are able to come into power. And they very well might. Biden keeps saying the "fever" is breaking, but it keeps getting worse.

I guess I’ll say that my idea of success is if the committee’s actions results in a broad dismantling of the GOP members who were involved in 1/6th or The Big Lie, protecting our Democracy from being dismantled. Whether that is through arrests, prosecutions, judicial changes, cultural changes (I think the direct prosecution of Trump for sedition would lead to this), or hell let’s say the committee achieves a narrative that leads to a blowout in 2024 and the GOP decides to restructure. I would say the committee was successful. But instead it looks like all it’s going to do now is allow the GOP to run DeSantis, a stronger candidate, in 2024.

I’m sorry for the perceived pessimism, I do genuinely like optimism and I actually like it when a pessimistic perspective of mine is rebuked. But I really did not like the "decorum metric" that was used to defend the committee. As a queer person I do not want to be subservient to decorum when in two years it’ll be a coinflips chance of whether or not I’m going to be in fear of my life for the next thirty years. I cannot appreciate the process if the outcome is that.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Sure it could break bad. No one’s arguing everything is a-okay, problem solved, we_got_him.gif. But you’re holding a very specific process to a bullshit standard of “did it solve every problem” which is horseshit.

At least target something that might work instead of decrying a parking ticket for not being a life-time prison sentence.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

Sure it could break bad. No one’s arguing everything is a-okay, problem solved, we_got_him.gif. But you’re holding a very specific process to a bullshit standard of “did it solve every problem” which is horseshit.

At least target something that might work instead of decrying a parking ticket for not being a life-time prison sentence.
Edit: you know what, never mind, merry christmas.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 24, 2022

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Automata 10 Pack posted:

I’d compare 1/6th to the Beer Hall Putsch instead of a parking ticket. And that led to actual high treason charges for Hitler and arrests for his conspirators.

O…kay? Yes, if you ignore my analogy it could be another thing, yes. But now you’re just refusing to engage with the idea that things aren’t other things and criticizing them for not being the latter is silly.

You want to hold Trump accountable, and I agree, but you’re just being pissed the square peg doesn’t fit in the round hole.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Edit: you know what, never mind, merry christmas.

What the hell are you talking about? That's not remotely the point that was being made.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

Automata 10 Pack posted:

I guess I’ll say that my idea of success is if the committee’s actions results in a broad dismantling of the GOP members who were involved in 1/6th or The Big Lie, protecting our Democracy from being dismantled. Whether that is through arrests, prosecutions, judicial changes, cultural changes (I think the direct prosecution of Trump for sedition would lead to this), or hell let’s say the committee achieves a narrative that leads to a blowout in 2024 and the GOP decides to restructure. I would say the committee was successful. But instead it looks like all it’s going to do now is allow the GOP to run DeSantis, a stronger candidate, in 2024.

That makes sense as an idea for success of the overall response of the country of America and it's government to the events of 1/6, but it does not altogether make sense as the standard to which to hold one specific step in the process of trying to achieve that result by one specific body of the US government.

You offer arrests, prosecutions, judicial changes, and cultural changes as avenues to achieve your idea of success. This specific committee cannot arrest anybody. That is not decorum that is civics. This specific committee cannot prosecute in the way that you mean here, again, not decorum but civics. This specific committee (among other factors) can and has led to a very favorable result in the recent mid-term elections, especially when considered relative to history and expectations. That may lead to judicial changes and signals at least an overture to a cultural change (higher voter turnout in midterms and especially higher voter turnout for young people are good things).

I agree with you that the flagrant disregard for civics and fair play by the GOP in the last decade makes it difficult to continue to hope that their opposition playing by the rules may wind up being naive or useless. I think the resistance in this thread is not so much to that idea or that hopelessness, which I think are broadly shared, but rather to the idea that congress not exceeding its jurisdiction in this matter means that nothing has been done.

Although it is sort of fun to imagine Bennie Thomas forming an old school western posse and storming Mar-A-Lago on horseback.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
I dont think any U. S. Congressional committee is going to effectively dismantle the power structures of American fascism, and certainly not in one go. There are definitely cracks in the right's armor, however, and this committee has helped bring some of those deficient participants on the right under public scrutiny.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I get the sense that most doom-postings are coping mechanisms.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Grip it and rip it posted:

I dont think any U. S. Congressional committee is going to effectively dismantle the power structures of American fascism, and certainly not in one go. There are definitely cracks in the right's armor, however, and this committee has helped bring some of those deficient participants on the right under public scrutiny.

I would have been happy with fully acknowledging them, rather than ignoring the root causes.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

PainterofCrap posted:

I get the sense that most doom-postings are coping mechanisms.

Yeah, coping mechanisms to deal with the doom.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Bel Shazar posted:

I would have been happy with fully acknowledging them, rather than ignoring the root causes.

What do you feel like was left out? I think they painted a pretty clear picture where anyone with the interest to do so can connect the dots

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

What do you feel like was left out? I think they painted a pretty clear picture where anyone with the interest to do so can connect the dots

Well personally I would go back to the 3/5ths amendment compromise but it would have been enough to start from Nixon and the southern strategy.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Bel Shazar posted:

Well personally I would go back to the 3/5ths amendment compromise but it would have been enough to start from Nixon and the southern strategy.

You can't just publish 600,000 pages and expect anyone except me to read it

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Bel Shazar posted:

You'd prefer the committee produce an overbroad report that nobody would bother to read?

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

You'd prefer the committee produce an overbroad report that nobody would bother to read?

More than one that just anchors all of the responsibility on the latest crop of ideologues and grifters. If you're not going to get to root causes you're just wasting time and providing Republicans air cover as they work to divorce themselves for their culpability.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Bel Shazar posted:

one that just anchors all of the responsibility

What does this mean

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Fuschia tude posted:

What does this mean

I believe that one purpose of the probe is to insulate the wider republican party from any guilt related to January 6th.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Bel Shazar posted:

I believe that one purpose of the probe is to insulate the wider republican party from any guilt related to January 6th.

O so we’re just making poo poo up now.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Always have been.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Bel Shazar posted:

Uhhh why do yiu believe this?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Bel Shazar posted:

Do you mean when they showed Rhonna McDaniel, the head of the RNC, testifying before the Select Cmte. the RNC assisted Trump with the fake electors scheme? Because that would be the opposite wouldn't it.
Or was it when they outed legislators who requested pardons after J6?

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Bel Shazar posted:

It's a congressional investigative report, not a deep historical analyses.

Also I'm not really buying Appendix 2 oh the National Guard was just slowed down by miscommunication.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Dr. Faustus posted:

Do you mean when they showed Rhonna McDaniel, the head of the RNC, testifying before the Select Cmte. the RNC assisted Trump with the fake electors scheme? Because that would be the opposite wouldn't it.
Or was it when they outed legislators who requested pardons after J6?

That was the red herring used to nuddy the waters so the real culprit, the illuminati, could slip away!

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

V-Men posted:

It's a congressional investigative report, not a deep historical analyses.

Also I'm not really buying Appendix 2 oh the National Guard was just slowed down by miscommunication.

For whatever reason they seem to be avoiding saying, “the national guard was withheld by senior officers and officials because they feared Trump would give them an order to aid his supporters and some may have felt compelled to act on it.”

I think elsewhere in the document they show that part of trumps desire was to have national guard there so he could tell them to protect his supporters?

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Murgos posted:

For whatever reason they seem to be avoiding saying, “the national guard was withheld by senior officers and officials because they feared Trump would give them an order to aid his supporters and some may have felt compelled to act on it.”

I think elsewhere in the document they show that part of trumps desire was to have national guard there so he could tell them to protect his supporters?

When he wanted to march with his mob to the Capitol and his non-crazy advisors said it could be dangerous, Trump said, "we'll mobilize 10,000 Guardsmen to protect me and my supporters from antifa".

If military leadership intentionally put into place roadblocks to slow-roll the deployment of the Guard because they didn't want to be put in a position to defy direct and illegal orders from the President then what the gently caress

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

I can only speculate but putting the national guard in a situation where it's likely the President himself will give them an illegal/treasonous order seems like a clusterfuck to be avoided.

It only takes a few MAGA loyalists/uncritical thinkers to make things much much worse

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 27, 2022

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Xand_Man posted:

I can only speculate but putting the national guard in a situation where it's likely the President himself will give them an illegal/treasonous order seems like a clusterfuck to be avoided.

It only takes a few MAGA loyalists/uncritical thinkers to make things much much worse

OTOH, throwing folks with guns into a clusterfuck situation is how we as Americans resolve issues. Very suspicious that people asked for clarification when they were told "Please send a bunch of armed soldiers to the capital." If I were head of the National Guard and/or military, I would have done the exact right thing, which is probably as obvious then as it is now. And I would have been completely confident that all my troopers would have behaved perfectly, and not been trigger happy, scared, or Trump supporters themselves.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Gen. Mark Milley is also one of those sorts of leaders who doesn't like making a move on loving anything unless he has five meetings and two CONOPs to go over every single detail, and who absolutely was probably leaning on the NG commander to not send in troops until the situation solidified.

Also, the fiasco with the protestors earlier on, and the severe criticism he received from that, most likely made him even more reluctant to get troops involved in yet another presidential fuckup. Also, as the Chairman -Joint Chief of Staff, he cannot be an operational leader anymore due to conflict of interest, which means he has to leave it to others which he is not a fan of.

Whether it was good or bad is to be debated, but I personally believe that the CJCS slow-rolled any sort of military interaction because he didn't know how it would end and he didn't trust his leadership on the ground to make the right call when it came to it. Milley is the kind of leader who turtles up and observes once he's been hit and only reacts to pushback by guarding even more to find the optimal move, regardless of tne consequence of his delay. Which also fits with other reports of him fighting with Trump over troop deployments and military moves.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The biscuits are the truth. :patriot:

https://twitter.com/socialistdogmom/status/1607850765741355009?s=20&t=GMQYzR7JfPpfYhSn_rxZlQ

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
If that isn't a thread title, I don't know what is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

For those who haven't clicked on the Tweet, it's a Deposition of a Proud Boy.

He is comparing their group to KFC and then tortures the metaphor further by saying that people come for the 11 spiced White Supremacy but stay for the "Truth Biscuits".

I'd read more of the tweet, but thinking of how those KFC biscuits are basically scones just weirds me out.