Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Tesseraction posted:

I'm assuming America doesn't use a points system like in the UK - if you're caught speeding you can get 3-6 points on your licence, which if you get 12 in a three year period you're disqualified from driving for a set period of time - up to 6 months if it's the first time, 1 year the second, and over 2 years if you've racked up 36 points / three disqualifications within a three year window

whereas I'm guessing it's just a financial bite in the US unless you cause an accident?

we have points but if you're white they'll pull you up to the clerk's desk on the morning of your court date and say "if you can pay a $100 ticket for it today in cash, we'll make this a headlight out ticket instead of 15 over"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lol at people posting walls of text because they like to go fast vroom meanwhile pedestrian deaths are climbing but don’t worry, you’re the responsible speeder and definitely not part of the problem

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

akadajet posted:

It depends on where you live. In VA they have a points system. In TX, no.

Blade Runner posted:

There are points but as far as I know most states don't put any on your license for speeding unless it's something like 20+ miles over

ah, yeah I guess the federated nature means it will vary this way

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

we have points but if you're white they'll pull you up to the clerk's desk on the morning of your court date and say "if you can pay a $100 ticket for it today in cash, we'll make this a headlight out ticket instead of 15 over"

lol, and of course it's malleable this way

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Tesseraction posted:

I'm assuming America doesn't use a points system like in the UK - if you're caught speeding you can get 3-6 points on your licence, which if you get 12 in a three year period you're disqualified from driving for a set period of time - up to 6 months if it's the first time, 1 year the second, and over 2 years if you've racked up 36 points / three disqualifications within a three year window

whereas I'm guessing it's just a financial bite in the US unless you cause an accident?

when i got pulled over for going 77 in a 65 i paid a dial-a-lawyer like $50 to get it changed from a moving violation to a glorified parking ticket. didn't change the price, but as far as anyone is concerned there was no moving violation

basically, when it comes to driving and cars, everything in america is completely fuckin busted

LanceHunter posted:

Having driven from Austin to Dallas (and back) via I-35 to visit family this holiday, I feel that this is a bit of an exaggeration. I set my cruise control to near speed limit, stayed in the middle lane, and mostly kept to the flow of traffic. Occasionally I'd be passed by faster drivers, occasionally I'd pass a slower driver. But there was only one case of a car going anywhere near 20 miles over the limit and swerving around me.

All this talk about how "everyone speeds all the time!" feels more like justification than an accurate assessment of real traffic flows. Hell, a huge amount of traffic on the interstates is made up of eighteen wheeler hauling cargo, and they definitely aren't speeding (both because that ruins fuel efficiency and thus owner-operator profits, and because the fines for speeding in a semi are so huge that the traffic cops salivate at any chance to write those tickets).

if anything i'd argue that long stretches of freeway/highway driving are less likely to have the suicidal traffic weaving morons. i see them way, way more often in town on the freeways (vegas).

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Blade Runner posted:

There are points but as far as I know most states don't put any on your license for speeding unless it's something like 20+ miles over

until fairly recently, you could wind up in jail for going 11 over in virginia. back when the national limit was 55, they set the reckless driving threshold at 80 and never raised it even as the speed limit was raised back to 70

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

qirex posted:

you’re the responsible speeder and definitely not part of the problem

thank you

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

qirex posted:

lol at people posting walls of text because they like to go fast vroom meanwhile pedestrian deaths are climbing but don’t worry, you’re the responsible speeder and definitely not part of the problem

if you're a pedestrian walking on the freeway than I can't help you.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

qirex posted:

you’re the responsible speeder and definitely not part of the problem

i don't speed on residential roads, generally go with the flow of traffic, and don't go too fast for conditions, so yes, i am

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The_Franz posted:

i don't speed on residential roads, generally go with the flow of traffic, and don't go too fast for conditions, so yes, i am

yeah, if you're speeding on a local road, you're a moron.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

qirex posted:

I live in NYC, the limit could be 5 and I would not be at risk of speeding on an average day

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

qirex posted:

im not gonna actually engage with this argument but do want to mention that it's a bit below your normal post quality

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

akadajet posted:

It drops from 75/70 to 55 in town here, generally.

ah, i learned somethig new today!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Tesseraction posted:

lol, and of course it's malleable this way

kind of varies theyll let you off with something less of you make it to the court date in a lot of places because tickets usually are handled at 1 court session for a bunch of people in a month so they do plea deals for 50 people rather than 50 full trials

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh i bet non americans or especially ppl who havent driven in texas would love to learn about texas frontage onramps/exits

population too spread out + no money for proper highway design, just create local access roads parallel to the freeways and draw little ramps on and off them. oh and the frontage roads are 2-way so you better stop in case there's oncoming traffic

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

oh i bet non americans or especially ppl who havent driven in texas would love to learn about texas frontage onramps/exits

population too spread out + no money for proper highway design, just create local access roads parallel to the freeways and draw little ramps on and off them. oh and the frontage roads are 2-way so you better stop in case there's oncoming traffic

idk man, I generally like this style of highway. better than dealing with cloverleafs.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

people that drive slower than me are idiots and people that drive faster than me are maniacs

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
that frontage road bullshit is both baffling and terrifying

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

polyester concept posted:

people that drive slower than me are idiots and people that drive faster than me are maniacs

yeah we'll just have to disagree here i think

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Jonny 290 posted:

This is somehow much better than every road I've ever seen in Jersey

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Jonny 290 posted:

theres a ton of these in florida too and they are absolutely terrifying

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i like driving through town in grand rapids. the speed limit is still like 70 but it feels dangerous to go that fast so often people are driving like 5 under it’s weird.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I hope musk is forever trapped in a Tesla on autopilot that’s stuck behind a big rig passing another trailer with a +2mph speed differential while a cop car is cruising up behind with just enough speed that to match its flow of traffic puts you in that +6-8mph danger zone for getting pulled over

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Anybody else love that thing where some mario andretti in a pontiac vibe left-lanes around you to do 15 over only to get caught at the next light, you time it and coast a bit and get the green as you sail through at like 30mph as you watch their suspension unweight from yet another full-throttle drag race launch

driving smooth is best driving.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah we'll just have to disagree here i think

was trying to break up the careposting with a poo poo post

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Beeftweeter posted:

he seems to think twitter is a news site and is saying that tweets get more viewers than primetime cable news. it's basically one of musk's "twitter is ALIVE" posts

oh lol I missed that because who would treat views on a tweet as being the same as viewership of news channels? lol, lmao even.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

99% of my interactions with cars
https://twitter.com/drewtoothpaste/status/1598716624701382659?s=20&t=s1BdLFGTDghtOvMp6nxf2g
and that's if they stop in the first place

anyway tsla is up, did ark buy another million shares?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im not sure, it aint gonna work tho

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

qirex posted:

anyway tsla is up

its down like 20% over 5 days so idk

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

rotor posted:

its down like 20% over 5 days so idk
it's notable because the market overall is slightly down and there's no actual news that's changed their situation

:smith:

:unsmith:

qirex fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 28, 2022

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

oh lol I missed that because who would treat views on a tweet as being the same as viewership of news channels? lol, lmao even.

I mean, he doesn't even understand that views === accesses of the data at all from Twitter's logging perspective, including non-display accesses from other internal process as at Twitter, hence why 0 follower priv accounts see their tweet views go up while the account owner isn't accessing it. Expecting him to understand how Neilsen counts viewers (let alone know about any of the intrinsic misses in their process and how they compare to Twitter's data issues) is asking way too much.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Jonny 290 posted:

the only problem I can see here is that there's no merge lane into the smaller road so if there's traffic you have to stop to get into it and can't just join in the merge.

otherwise looks pretty normal to me :confused:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
some crazy volume today

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Beeftweeter posted:

some crazy volume today

a lot of buying doing little but giving other people an opportunity to sell?

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Chalks posted:

a lot of buying doing little but giving other people an opportunity to sell?

Yeah, kinda feels like institutional investors carefully exiting their positions without dumping and crashing it while the notoriously retail heavy Tesla ownership holds even more of the bag.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

can’t let it dip below 100, musk will yell at them

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
frontage roads are great when they have weird, inscrutable names like one of my vegas favorites, Dinkledorf Rd.

it's such a fun word to say

Beeftweeter posted:

some crazy volume today

we need a "listen to tesla" in the same style of listen to buttcoin. mabye make it so the pitch changes with price

mystes
May 31, 2006

qirex posted:

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Achmed Jones posted:

the left lane is for passing, not cruising. go to a different lane. people dont have to speed, they want to speed and make up excuses why it's the correct and right idea. it's obviously not the biggest transgression in the world or something, but lordy just be honest and admit to being a little bit selfish sometimes. we all do it occasionally

right? like 10 years ago i was driving to work and just idly mathing it out while doing 80 in a 70 and i was like, oh this is saving me at best 3 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

the only problem I can see here is that there's no merge lane into the smaller road so if there's traffic you have to stop to get into it and can't just join in the merge.

otherwise looks pretty normal to me :confused:

do you understand that there is traffic coming onwards on the lane you have to stop at, and that the oncoming traffic does not have a stop or yield sign? that's not a one way road, that's my point