Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
That FDE filament is real tempting for wargaming terrain, though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Rexxed posted:

I wonder how close polymaker looks at youtubers besides subscriber count.

Polymaker also sponsors Ivan Miranda and he's such a fun little weird guy, I enjoy his projects.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

lol what a rube

3D printed guns are hilarious to me. If you want to make them that badly just get a mill and lathe or Swiss machine.

I guess that would require knowhow and skill, though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

3D printed guns are concerning to me, but not because of anything involving terrorists or criminals. Any bad actor who wants to kill people can easily get a real gun, as America's Problem continues to demonstrate.

3D printed guns concern me for the situation where a 13-year-old kid with no thoughts other than "guns are cool" downloads the parts and prints one at the library, steals some bullets from his dad, and then goes out into the woods to go shooting and blows off his hand because he didn't understand the difference between PLA and ABS and the design was barely functional in the first place.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

3D printed guns concern me for the situation where a 13-year-old kid with no thoughts other than "guns are cool" downloads the parts and prints one at the library, steals some bullets from his dad, and then goes out into the woods to go shooting and blows off his hand because he didn't understand the difference between PLA and ABS and the design was barely functional in the first place.

Probably won’t think guns are cool after that, at least.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
If a random kid can get a (long, complicated, probably requiring multiple attempts) gun print past the library staff, the existence of the gun STL is not the point of failure

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Javid posted:

If a random kid can get a (long, complicated, probably requiring multiple attempts) gun print past the library staff, the existence of the gun STL is not the point of failure

Also if the kid’s dad is leaving ammo lying around he’s also not locking up his guns, so the kid is just going to take the real gun, not the janky bullshit print.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Javid posted:

Or the kid prints it on his own 3D printer, or at his friend's house, or at the local makerspace, or the librarian is clueless and doesn't know or care what he's making...

Kalman posted:

Also if the kid’s dad is leaving ammo lying around he’s also not locking up his guns, so the kid is just going to take the real gun, not the janky bullshit print.

Or the kid knows he'll get in deep poo poo for taking the gun, but dad wouldn't miss a couple of bullets, right? Or he gets his friend to steal some from his dad who doesn't lock anything up, or...

Point is I am not getting all chicken little about it, but a 3D printer does change the calculus quite a bit. The kid no longer has to do something that he knows is wrong (stealing a gun) or become some insane weirdo making a zip-gun out of gas pipe in the basement. It's just a matter of printing a bunch of plastic parts and sticking them together -- something the kid can do on a lark. It opens up the possibility of loving around with guns to a lot of kids who either wouldn't have otherwise had the opportunity or wouldn't have made the effort.

Obviously the fundamental problem here is nothing to do with 3D printers or the existence of the STL files, but America's gun culture, but lol good luck ever fixing that one

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 29, 2022

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I have a highly specific question.

I was gifted a usb wall light that I quite enjoy. I'd like to plug it into my rasperry pi that's running octoprint, and have it power on/off as prints start/end. I can see no way to do this, as the pi seems to only be able to shut off all 4 usb ports simultaneously, which would obviously be bad.

Can this be accomplished in some other way?

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Sagebrush posted:

some insane weirdo making a zip-gun out of gas pipe in the basement

I see you've met royal nonesuch

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Rexxed posted:

I don't really care if people 3d print gun parts since they're generally not amazing and it's become illegal in a lot of places (even here in the garden state) but turning it into a culture seems to attract a lot of dipshits.

Interestingly, I remember Naomi Wu saying that she gets a lot of poo poo flung at her from people online, but one community she's never really gotten hassled by is the gun-related 3d printing crowd.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I feel that the pinnacle of 3d printing gun content is going to be Print Shoot Repeat's HK slap song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kucefQ6sYbo

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Rexxed posted:

I feel that the pinnacle of 3d printing gun content is going to be Print Shoot Repeat's HK slap song.

Not sure how that can be anything but the absolute peak.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

went to a .6 nozzle for printing terrain and poo poo these zoom now.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Rexxed posted:

I wonder how close polymaker looks at youtubers besides subscriber count. I followed 3d print general at one point for his reviews of printers but he's all about 3d printing guns and going to 3d printed gun events and talking to people about bitcoin and stuff. Pretty terrible in general for a number of reasons. I don't really care if people 3d print gun parts since they're generally not amazing and it's become illegal in a lot of places (even here in the garden state) but turning it into a culture seems to attract a lot of dipshits.

Yeah, all of this. Polymaker also sponsors "Loyal Moses" (has another one of their "creator branded filaments" with his logo etc) and he's similarly weird, with folks I know/trust relating that his politics are also hosed.

I've been pretty lucky so far in that most of the people I've run across in the 3D printing space are pretty reasonable folks, but those dudes--ick.

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!

Rexxed posted:

I cannot wait to learn how this influences my recommended videos

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

mattfl posted:

I don't need a Bambu X1C + AMS but there it is, sitting in a cart, waiting for me to hit the buy button. Someone talk me outta it!

I say go for it! I really love mine still, it's not perfect by any means but in comparison to my mk3s+ and ender 3 v2 it's been highly reliable. I've yet to even have a filament jam really, just a few issues with AMS feeding, usually related to dirty rollers, or a spool issue.

They've been consistently updating it and addressing issues brought up. They are far more responsive and active in updating and improving the hardware than pretty much any of their competitors.

Also I'm possibly an idiot and bought some of the 3d print general filament, it just came today haha. I really liked the color, I'm not a huge fan of his by any means but I love polylite pla pro! :blush:

I bought both of the creator series filaments, what can I say I'm an easy sell

Opinionated fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 29, 2022

ComradeBigT
Sep 9, 2014
Is there any consensus on people's preferred resin printers? I've been shopping around for stuff for printing somewhat smaller stuff like figures and maybe things for D&D and it generally seems like the main options are Creality, Elegoo, Phrozen, or Anycubic in the $2-400 range. The design and general specs seem about the same across all 3 companies, but I'm curious if there are any strong opinions on if any particular one is less of a pain in terms of general setup and maintenance in the longer term, or if there are specific models to avoid. It seems like octoprint isn't really a thing for resin printers so I honestly just want a printer with the least bad workflow for setting up prints.

(I'm already very much familiar with the safety side of resin printers, I have a Form2 I use occasionally at work so the concerns and general hassle of safe resin printing isn't new to me)

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

They're all virtually identical in design and function. They use the same software, they all have very similar interfaces, and the workflow will be exactly the same for any of them.

Anecdotally, I've found that Elegoo's customer service is a bit better than Anycubic's, but I've never had a bad enough problem with any of the machines to see how far any of the companies will go to help if you have a hard failure. My current and only one right now is a stock Epax E10 4K that I've had for a couple of years, and it's been a great printer, but it's also been surpassed in resolution and price by the other companies now.

If I were to go buy a new one today, I'd basically just find the largest one for the least money in my price range and go for it.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
For what it’s worth, Elegoo has sent me three replacement LCDs free of charge (first one died after a few months, second one got resin cured to the screen and was entirely my fault)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I've had the Anycubic Photo for what, like 3 years now? Never had an issue with it beyond some mistake with firmware, they replied quickly and explained how to update everything properly.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Deviant posted:

I was gifted a usb wall light that I quite enjoy. I'd like to plug it into my rasperry pi that's running octoprint, and have it power on/off as prints start/end. I can see no way to do this, as the pi seems to only be able to shut off all 4 usb ports simultaneously, which would obviously be bad.

Do you have any smart plugs you could plug a wall wart into for your light? There's a few octoprint plugins that let you control those.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I have an Elegoo Saturn 2 8K and I purchased an Anycubic Photon Mono 4k for my sister and set that up and ran it for a few days, and they both work very, very well. I would say that size is more of an important factor than brand. If you are not going to be printing statues or huge models and are planning on creating supplements for a tabletop game and proxy armies then the Photon Mono 4k itself is like 220 right now, which is pretty drat good. And unless you are a speed painter it will print minis faster than you can paint them. If you want to print big pieces or huge armies or are just crazy like I am, something the size of the Saturn 2 is really good.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Buy a wash and cure.

The resin printing experience is night and day with a dedicated wash and cure.

Bake this into your budget calculations.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Tremors posted:

Do you have any smart plugs you could plug a wall wart into for your light? There's a few octoprint plugins that let you control those.

yes, but that seemed like overkill when the lamp takes USB power and the pi has usb ports.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Deviant posted:

Cut open the USB cable (or buy a cheap USB extension cable if you don't want to modify your lamp). Find the power and ground lines. Cut the power line and splice it into this relay module:

https://www.amazon.com/Diitao-Channel-Optocoupler-Isolated-Control/dp/B0BBLFD9GM/

Attach the module to one of the Pi's GPIO pins and its power and ground lines. Use the Octoprint GPIO plugin to trigger the pin that runs the relay.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Does anyone happen to know what probe offset I should use for a BLTouch + Sprite Pro upgrade kit on an Ender 3 v2?

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 29, 2022

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Anyone here have a trip report on those vat-band heaters? I've been looking at the phenom forge which has the same feature, but I feel like a retrofit option makes a ton of sense.

Surprise elegoo etc aren't putting out heated vats you can add on to whatever, but I guess none of those guys really inovate anything

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I wish Elegoo had a 'Notify me' for their out of stock brand new printers. I really want a Plus or Max but who knows when I can buy one!

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

The Eyes Have It posted:

Interestingly, I remember Naomi Wu saying that she gets a lot of poo poo flung at her from people online, but one community she's never really gotten hassled by is the gun-related 3d printing crowd.

It’s the one population of men whose fetish for guns is stronger than their fetish for Asian women.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Electricians are just about done. Getting 3x 20A circuits off a subpanel in my garage to move all the printers to. Few dollars of investment there, so let's hope it works out :pray:

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Hey how fast do you guys with a Neptune 3 print with PLA? I've been doing 55 mm/s since it was just working, but now that I have time to play around with settings I'm curious how fast I can reasonably push this thing.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug

Listerine posted:

Hey how fast do you guys with a Neptune 3 print with PLA? I've been doing 55 mm/s since it was just working, but now that I have time to play around with settings I'm curious how fast I can reasonably push this thing.

Yeah assuming you've bumped the temp to 210/215 that's about the max, the extruder can't melt fast enough to go higher than that.
(that also assumes that the actual printing speed is 55 mm/s, for some reason cura takes your 'print speed' setting and... cuts it in half for most print actions?)

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

BadMedic posted:

Yeah assuming you've bumped the temp to 210/215 that's about the max, the extruder can't melt fast enough to go higher than that.
(that also assumes that the actual printing speed is 55 mm/s, for some reason cura takes your 'print speed' setting and... cuts it in half for most print actions?)

Yeah I'm at 210C. I've been using Prusaslicer and just been assuming that the print speed is operating at 55 mm/s; the actual print time has been pretty much in the ballpark of the estimate. If the slicer was doing something wonky, I'd see that in a huge deviation from the estimate right?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

The other thing that could be happening is all the accelerations... you can't just go from 0 to 55 in an instant so there's a good chance you're only ever seeing 55 mm/s on long print moves.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

BadMedic posted:

That doesn't seem right to me. The MK8 in an ender is good to ~at least~ 75mm/s average. With beyond 200mm/s if you don't exceed the slug of heated plastic before hitting a corner.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug

Nerobro posted:

That doesn't seem right to me. The MK8 in an ender is good to ~at least~ 75mm/s average. With beyond 200mm/s if you don't exceed the slug of heated plastic before hitting a corner.

Oh yeah, I should have mentioned that's at 0.4 line width/0.3 layer height
if you are doing thinner layers then yeah you can go a lot faster

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
The real shame is that cura still doesn't let you set a max volumetric flow rate. My stock ender can acceptably hit 12 mm3/s, but I kinda have to fiddle with the speed setting in cura and watch the dash output in fluidd to see what flow rate it's actually achieving.

I also just go by eye, push it as fast as you can before you get unacceptable results. I.e signs of underextrusion

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Sagebrush posted:

3D printed guns are concerning to me, but not because of anything involving terrorists or criminals. Any bad actor who wants to kill people can easily get a real gun, as America's Problem continues to demonstrate.

You're aware that there's a lot more than the printed parts required for a functional firearm? At a minimum: a barrel, magazine, side, and lower parts kit. Plus several hours of assembly and careful futzing around to get it to function at all. A zip gun would be easier and cheaper to build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

I just picked up an Elegoo Mars 2 Pro and had some issues with Chitubox slicing software. I couldn't get the free version to hollow and infill, but the pro version would (on a 7-day trial). Is the Pro version worth it? $170/yr isn't the end of the world, but the free version would so far otherwise be just fine if it actually worked. Does Lychee work ok with Elegoo printers?