Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Independent of all other considerations, having a functioning fusion reactor would also be dope as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Next you're going to tell me they've already done some sort of triple chain to go even further beyond.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Has anyone thought about combining saiyan fusion and namekian fusion?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

The "for some reason" is that their best success and proudest moment for a lot of the leading lights was successfully mobilizing resistance to nuclear post Chernobyl. They turned out to be completely and utterly wrong on most elements regarding nuclear but just keep doubling down because being considered right the entire time is the point, not actually being right with current knowledge.

Same reason why new dams in Australia are such hard work. Franklin River* is a legitimately proud moment for the Australian green moment and their placement needs a lot of care but oooo boy is it an outsize response.

* Cliff note version, the state government was going around installing dam after dam for cheap hydro to power industry and the rivers they were damming were absolutely first rate conservation candidates, green movement opposed it and eventually the federal govt got on board and used some clever interpretation of laws to overturn the state govt decision.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Raenir Salazar posted:

Okay... Well first of all, I think its clear I was giving your acquaintances the benefit of the doubt and assuming what you relayed is 100% accurate; but if we're going to be pulling teeth here for no reason at all; (1) Anecdotal evidence is at best a kind of hearsay which is at best a 'kind of evidence'; (2) I have no evidence that what you said is an accurate representation of what your friends said, or what they believe; it could've been garbled in a game of telephone. (3) Even if what you conveyed was an accurate word for word transcription it still might not be an accurate representation of what they believe in their heart of hearts, so I feel it is perfectly reasonable for me to for the purposes of conversation and for the sake of the argument, the best possible interpretation benefit of the doubt version of the argument your friends are actually making. Because that's more interesting to discuss than the worst version of what they're saying.

:psyduck: I don't even know if an experienced parody author could do a better job than this.

Maybe Terry Pratchett could've pulled this off.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

My understanding is that a lot of green movements have their roots in the nuclear disarmament movements. I have no problem with nuclear disarmament (although I don’t expect that genie to ever go back in the bottle) but it’s just stupid to equate any nuclear technology, including medical radioisotopes, with nuclear weapons.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Are there actually any political movements that target medical isotope generation and/or use in their platform? I ask out of genuine fascination.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Potato Salad posted:

:psyduck: I don't even know if an experienced parody author could do a better job than this.

Maybe Terry Pratchett could've pulled this off.

Maybe there's just a complete breakdown in the communication here, but I don't think this post of yours does anything to help resolve it. Is there something about what I'm saying you're actually either (a) Not sure what I mean, not in my last post in particular but during this conversation overall; in which case can you ask me to clarify what specifically you're not understanding; or (b) Is there something specifically that you disagree with, in which case can you first at least clarify what you think my position is that you disagree with so I can clarify if that was my meaning or not. Or (c) I guess we could just drop it if trying to figure out what we're actually saying to each other is just intractible at this point?

Because I don't think either of us really has any idea of what's happening at this point if this is what it comes down to?

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

Are there actually any political movements that target medical isotope generation and/or use in their platform? I ask out of genuine fascination.

Australian Greens want the Lucas Heights reactor shut down and medical isotopes produced by particle accelerator only.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
some what related, there's tom scott video about how a university nuclear med. dept delivers atoms with a bank air pipe system to a nearby hospital because driving is too slow.(10 mins on a good day)

thats neat.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
There's a quantum entanglement joke in there somewhere but I'm uncertain until someone makes it.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Raenir Salazar posted:

There's a quantum entanglement joke in there somewhere but I'm uncertain until someone makes it.

Don't worry about it, the joke collapsed into an awful punchline when a goon told it.

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

Raenir Salazar posted:

Maybe there's just a complete breakdown in the communication here, but I don't think this post of yours does anything to help resolve it. Is there something about what I'm saying you're actually either (a) Not sure what I mean, not in my last post in particular but during this conversation overall; in which case can you ask me to clarify what specifically you're not understanding; or (b) Is there something specifically that you disagree with, in which case can you first at least clarify what you think my position is that you disagree with so I can clarify if that was my meaning or not. Or (c) I guess we could just drop it if trying to figure out what we're actually saying to each other is just intractible at this point?

Because I don't think either of us really has any idea of what's happening at this point if this is what it comes down to?

*points at your custom avatar*

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

MooselanderII posted:

*points at your custom avatar*

But I am very clearly asking for clarification and not asserting confidence? Or are you saying I SHOULD just assert 100% confidence? I'm not sure what you're indicating here.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Paywall but the blurb says it, 5 reactors back online in France this week. Hopefully things continues at this pace:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/frances-restart-of-nuclear-reactors-eases-blackout-fears-11671102996

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

At how many are they now? And how much of capacity? Another article mentioned that they are now at the highest level since March, but didn't say anything about how far away they are from normal levels.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

His Divine Shadow posted:

Paywall but the blurb says it, 5 reactors back online in France this week. Hopefully things continues at this pace:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/frances-restart-of-nuclear-reactors-eases-blackout-fears-11671102996

Yeah looks like they're up to 42GW now, basically the same output as last December, though I think the peak in recent years was around 50.

Someone posted a link to all the plant maintenance and outage data but I couldn't really figure it out lol. Anyway yeah there's still some installed capacity they should fix up.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Let’s check in with France’s flagship new reactor project.

https://www.barrons.com/news/new-delay-cost-overrun-for-france-s-next-gen-nuclear-plant-01671212709

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
From what I can tell without knowing any of the details it seems like the issues with these new nuclear plants are issues with existing proven technology. Pumps and welding pipe together aren't anything too special other than the extremely high level of QC if it will be used/done for a nuclear plant. Are the operating temperatures or pressures of these newer safer designs that much more or is there some other detail I'm missing?

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bDXXWQxK38

Is this actually legit?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Maybe? Somebody did a writeup here or in the nuclear reactor thread in the last few pages that discussed Helion.

All fusion news coverage is wildly overstated so grain of salt, etc.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

in a well actually posted:

Maybe? Somebody did a writeup here or in the nuclear reactor thread in the last few pages that discussed Helion.

All fusion news coverage is wildly overstated so grain of salt, etc.

I think you're referring to this one.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Helion has a really cool reactor design. Basically, they use two magnetic fields to hyper-accelerate deuterium towards the middle chamber from both sides. In there the giant positive charge of those atom cores pushes them back away from each other and the magnets can actually slow the atoms on the way back. By stealing the kinetic energy those magnets produce electricity. The company claims that this whole process is 95% effective, i.e. that even if there's no fusion at all, you return 95 percent of the electric energy you put in to make those magnets squeeze the atoms in the first place. So in theory you only need to produce a little amount of extra energy from fusion to get an actual positive return there. So if you produce more than 5% of your input energy as fusion energy you already made an energy profit. The concept is also a bit more complicated than that, since it is a fuel cycle which ultimately should fuse helium 3 with deuterium to produce (positively charged) helium. those fast helium cores can also be captured by magnets. Basically the idea is that such a reactor doesn't even heat water to turn turbines but rather returns direct electricity.
I want that to succeed, but it sounds too good to be true. Especially since the helium 3 is earned from the fuel cycle, so you basically only need deuterium (not even tritium).
They claim that their coming reactor version will do a tiny amount of net electricity in 2024, which sounds like it's relatively easy to verify or falsify.
It would be cool if that actually turns out to be successful, but I'm not holding my breath.

That video certainly sums it up better than I could. I am not a plasma scientist with specialization in magnet confinement and ion induction, (IANAPSSMCII) so I can't tell if there are scientific holes in the process. But the current reactor produces some fusion, so the underlining principles seem to be sound. The question is if the upscaled reactor model is actually big enough to rise the amount of fusion to a level where it's net-positive and if they can do the upscaling without making the plasma unstable, so it doesn't fizzle out. Also I guess they have to make certain that the more frequent pulses don't break it down on an engineering level. Let's see what actually happens in 2024.
I will continue to follow them.

Regardless if you believe anything Helion is claiming, it's a well produced video. They actually go well into the details of the energy math for each reaction variant.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 17, 2022

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Re: Helion

They talk about the plans for generating energy, but I'm very much in the 'until I see it' boat. The timing of this smells of building up visibility/value for a funding round.

Most importantly, we should be building what we can (solar, wind, even crappy battery storage) not waiting for some future miracle cure for our climate related energy ills.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

EoRaptor posted:

Re: Helion

They talk about the plans for generating energy, but I'm very much in the 'until I see it' boat. The timing of this smells of building up visibility/value for a funding round.

Most importantly, we should be building what we can (solar, wind, even crappy battery storage) not waiting for some future miracle cure for our climate related energy ills.

100% yeah, but I doubt they're going to be taking any money from actual commercial energy projects so it's basically fine.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
We should be funding *everything* and seeing what sticks in a sustained fashion. Fusion presents various advantages over Fission, which has advantages over Natural Gas and other forms of baseline power generation, it arguably even has advantages over hydro; you'd need only a fraction of the safety regulations for fusion compared to fission. It's also great for space travel/exploration/science; fission reactors also provide various medical and other benefits, maybe fusion can as well.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Raenir Salazar posted:

We should be funding *everything* and seeing what sticks in a sustained fashion. Fusion presents various advantages over Fission, which has advantages over Natural Gas and other forms of baseline power generation, it arguably even has advantages over hydro; you'd need only a fraction of the safety regulations for fusion compared to fission. It's also great for space travel/exploration/science; fission reactors also provide various medical and other benefits, maybe fusion can as well.

Hydro is one of the things that needs to go the way of the dodo, we only tolerate it out of lack of something remotely equivalent in properties (dispatchable, cheap, low carbon, non-nuclear power). It wrecks a lot of the environment (both within the basin and in terms of changed ecosystems of the entire river system) and is orders of magnitude less safe than fission nuclear.

I'm not sure how fusion will end up being that much better unless we have need for absolutely humongous point sources of power or unless there is a way that the irradiated cladding and the like only contain radioactive particles with very short (single digit seconds) or very long (1k's of years) half-lives.

Agreed that funding multiple avenues of energy generation and not just what works now. If we only funded what already worked, we would have abandoned a lot of large scale solar and wind funding (and requisite battery) for nuclear two decades ago!

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Hydro is one of the things that needs to go the way of the dodo, we only tolerate it out of lack of something remotely equivalent in properties (dispatchable, cheap, low carbon, non-nuclear power). It wrecks a lot of the environment (both within the basin and in terms of changed ecosystems of the entire river system) and is orders of magnitude less safe than fission nuclear.

We might be able to get rid of some dams if we banned hydroelectricity but we mostly build them for other reasons - only 3% of dams are hydroelectric. Since we build dams anyway we might as well stick turbines in them.

Getting rid of dams would undeniably be great for natural ecosystems but it would require people living along rivers deal with natural seasonal flooding and finding other ways to manage water resources for irrigation and human use. We may as well also point out that transitioning agriculture to high intensity hydroponics, so we could turn farmland back into natural habitat, would be great for natural ecosystems. It's similar in that it's technically doable, incredibly expensive and beneficial to the environment.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Yeah to be clear wasn't saying hydrodams were universally bad, only that if we had the choice between what we need for energy generation something like a fusion plant is better because then we don't need to build a new hydrodam, potentially displacing communities and affecting fragile ecosystems. It's a good point we definitely don't want to tear down dams or not build dams that serve other useful utility purposes for humans like moderating flood seasons and so on.

I'm not sure how fusion will end up being that much better unless we have need for absolutely humongous point sources of power or unless there is a way that the irradiated cladding and the like only contain radioactive particles with very short (single digit seconds) or very long (1k's of years) half-lives.

Agreed that funding multiple avenues of energy generation and not just what works now. If we only funded what already worked, we would have abandoned a lot of large scale solar and wind funding (and requisite battery) for nuclear two decades ago!

My assumption is a Nth-generation commercial fusion plant is probably smaller than a comparable fission plant not accounting for things like research purposes and handwaving the transitional period/process of gradually building better and more streamlined fusion plants (with the initial ones presumably being very large because of the need to still carry out research, theoretical and engineering experiments). So they would be in theory, capable of essentially replacing coal and natural gas plants; either built over decommissioned plants or in similar locations to coal/oil/gas plants.

As for the radioactive cladding everything I've seen online with quick googling suggests its overall better than the waste from fission reactors? At a minimum this is still a big question mark that will heavily depend on what we actually decide to use as the reactor shielding; its entirely possible that it becomes a solved problem when we get to the point where we're deliberating the mass production of fusion reactors.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

I never once conceptualized that fusion power might end up with power stations smaller than the current fission ones - and considering the tech does not even exist so anything may be possible - it is amazingly narrow minded of me.

Also, yeah, was too strong on the dam comment, their use will trend towards more control, not going away altogether. Dams and their management have quite a large risk profile, which considering the trend towards reduced appetite for risk, makes them harder to motivate.

On trends, https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-12-21/solar-projects-blocked-country-nsw-visual-impacts/101796444 is more and more coming to renewables. This implies a public consultation period which aside from consuming money and time in its own right, are generally easily extendable and allow for challenges later on. Eg, someone challenges on the basis that someone was not consulted after the capital has been raised, court will delay the project in the interests of abundance of caution, incurring finance costs not originally expected for the project which might make it fall over altogether or at least has its economics stuffed.

This on top of the world-wide reduction in trade openness, opposition to just in time practices and other blips on the international mfg landscape, I would not be surprised if the run of solar project cost decreases are over and they start to trend upwards.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
A potentially enlightening article on the ways state-level power supply regulatory oversight is manipulated; I'll eventually work it up for network effect post in the media lit thread.

https://www.npr.org/2022/12/19/1143753129/power-companies-florida-alabama-media-investigation-consulting-firm

quote:

Yellowhammer News and Alabama Political Reporter offer clashing ideologies - one hardline conservative, the other centrist - and appear simply to be competitors. Owners of the two sites separately defend their coverage, saying they are independent news outlets.

In reality, they are among six news outlets across Alabama and Florida with financial connections to the consulting firm Matrix LLC, a joint investigation by Floodlight and NPR finds. The firm, based in Montgomery, Alabama, has boasted clients including Alabama Power and another major U.S. utility, Florida Power & Light.

In addition to Yellowhammer and The Alabama Political reporter, the sites include Alabama Today, The Capitolist, Florida Politics and the now-defunct Sunshine State News.

In Alabama and Florida, Matrix sought to ensure much coverage was secretly driven by the priorities of its clients. Payments flowed as the utilities in Florida and Alabama fought efforts to incorporate more clean energy in electric grids — a fight they are still waging.

For this investigation, Floodlight and NPR drew upon hundreds of internal Matrix documents and public records, more than three dozen interviews, a review of social media postings, and an original analysis of coverage.

Those accounts reflect a complex web of financial links, in which the six outlets collectively received, at minimum, $900,000 from Matrix, its clients, and associated entities between 2013 and 2020.

All of the media organizations deny their coverage was shaped by those payments and deny they acted unethically.

The founder of Matrix, Joe Perkins, says the firm paid news sites only for advertising and other run-of-the-mill services for its clients. He also denies Matrix paid anything at all to two of the sites. Beyond that, Perkins has consistently called the firm's former CEO, Jeff Pitts, a "rogue employee" and, in a lawsuit, alleges Matrix is not responsible because the former executive acted without his knowledge or his firm's consent. Pitts did not respond to several detailed requests for comment. In court filings, Pitts says Perkins knew everything–and he accused Perkins of wrongdoing.

They also cast blame on one another over a series of recent scandals. Matrix recently made headlines for surveillance of a power company CEO and a journalist who wrote critically about Florida Power & Light's business plans. Matrix has also been accused of seeking to influence ballot initiatives on clean energy and offering a lucrative job to a public official in Jacksonville to induce him to resign. Florida Power & Light did not respond to a detailed list of questions, and an executive for the company declined to address them in a phone call.

Coverage of Matrix's power company clients at the six news sites ebbed and surged around election seasons and other key inflection points. For example, Sunshine State News emerged when Sen. Rick Scott, a consistent ally of Florida Power & Light, was governor of Florida and maintained warm ties with him. Matrix records show the firm paid the site at least $180,000. It shuttered a year after he won election to the U.S. Senate. A former Scott aide also founded The Capitolist, based in Tallahassee.

Additionally, Matrix's clients took a strong interest in who wrote the laws and enforced the regulations. Last year, Florida Power & Light wrote a bill that was passed by the Florida Legislature and that would have gutted the ability of homeowners to make money off solar panels. Gov. Ron DeSantis ultimately vetoed it.

One state away, Alabama Power runs and owns a coal-fired power plant that is the largest single source of carbon dioxide emissions in the United States.

An analysis by Floodlight and NPR of the three Alabama news sites with links to Matrix finds overwhelmingly positive coverage of Alabama Power. The review looked at articles on each site that contained the phrase "Alabama Power" and found that the vast majority of pieces either were positive or appeared to mirror a news release by the utility.

In interviews, two former reporters at the Alabama Political Reporter recounted episodes in which articles about Alabama Power received intense and unusual scrutiny from editors. In one case, the story was never published. Its proprietor denies any such influence on the site.

Together, Alabama Power and Florida Power & Light keep the lights on for nearly 7.5 million businesses and households. Since consumers' payments contribute to much of the two utilities' profits, much of the money that the companies spend effectively derives from consumers' bills.

Matrix founder Joe Perkins has long held an interest in the power of the media. As a doctoral student at the University of Alabama, he wrote his thesis about a specific quandary: How can journalists' choice of sources and anecdotes affect public sentiment?

"When a minority opinion gains access to the news media repeatedly through various techniques to make its point, it may be perceived as more widespread and pervasive than it actually is," he wrote in his 73-page paper.

He then put his research to use, building up Matrix.

In the early days, Matrix quietly sought to influence decisions over matters like who was eligible to win contracts with the Alabama teachers pension fund. The firm eventually established a presence in 10 states.

These quotes are only up to the halfway point of the story.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 21, 2022

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Germans angry and dissapointed at getting what they voted for, google translated.

quote:

https://svenska.yle.fi/a/7-10025040

Due to the war in Ukraine and the non-delivery of Russian gas, Germany is again producing more electricity with lignite. In order to extract more coal for the power plants, it now looks as if the symbolically important town of Lützerath for the climate movement will be destroyed.

Police drones hover over the disputed village of Lützerath. For several hours it circles above the treetops and rooftops to collect images of the small town, which today is primarily a camp for visiting climate activists.

That the police are making plans on how to get rid of the activists, who have entrenched themselves in the area, also became clear when a larger inspection was carried out in Lützerath some time ago. Around the same time, the electricity to the village was cut.

Among the activists, it is assumed that the police will try to empty the village at some stage in January.

Since December 20th, it is forbidden to stay in the resort and from January 10th, people may begin to be removed from Lützerath.

- I expect that the police will come at some stage to try to empty the treehouses that have been built, so that you can start felling the trees. We expect that it will certainly be about a force of at least a thousand police officers, says Marina Scheidler from the organization Alle Dörfer Bleiben.

Hoping for more outside help
When you walk around the village, you can see that preparations have been made on the part of the activists as well.

The treetops and huts up there are strewn with ropes so that you can tie yourself up or move to another tree when the police come. Barricades have been built and in several places paving stones are also completely stacked.

- I don't know how much I should say about what is planned, but compared to previous occupations, we also have houses here that we can entrench ourselves in, so it will probably be more difficult for them to remove us, says the activist Feluda.

What the activists now intend to do in Lützerath was already done successfully in the forest Hambacher Forst a few years ago.

- But whether we will really succeed in saving the village will probably be determined mainly by whether the pressure and the prosthesis from the outside will be greater, Feluda continues.

Temporary comeback for coal leads to greater emissions

Lützerath's importance became even greater during the autumn through an agreement between the state of North Rhine-Westphalia, the German Ministry of Economy and the energy company RWE.

According to the agreement, RWE commits to renouncing lignite until the year 2030, and this also means that five other threatened villages will be saved.

The only village that is still planned to end up under the shovel is precisely Lützerath.

- The agreement was marketed as a good thing in terms of climate protection, but investigations show that this accelerated phase-out plan does not lead to reduced emissions at all, says Marina Scheidler.

The agreement gives RWE the opportunity to burn more lignite now in the next few years than it would have done in the 2030s according to the original plan.

At the same time, the report states that the lignite under Lützerath will hardly ever be needed.

The need for more coal, i.e. both domestic lignite and imported hard coal, is of course justified and explained by the ongoing war in Ukraine and the fact that instead of Russian gas, one must resort to other means to produce electricity.

During the autumn and the beginning of winter, seven major German coal-fired power plants have been put back into operation or increased production. This includes, among other things, three units at two separate lignite power plants next to the Garzweiler open-pit mine, which is now in the process of swallowing up Lützerath.

It is estimated that the forced reactivation of coal-fired power plants may increase German carbon dioxide emissions by around 60 million tons until, as planned, by 2038 at the latest, coal is completely phased out.

Anger and disappointment with the Greens

In any case, the new plans for coal power have led to a deep split between the climate activists in Lützerath and the Greens in Germany.

In the state government of North Rhine-Westphalia, the Greens were involved in negotiating the agreement with RWE, and in Berlin it is the Green Economy Minister Robert Habeck who has made the decision that instead of gas, coal power must be used.

- The disappointment cannot be described in words. And it is not only disappointment but also anger, says the activist Feluda.

- I am not disappointed myself, just angry. They could have used their position of power in a different way, but on the other hand, this was also expected. Like all other parties, the Greens also do not keep what they promise, says activist Mara Sauer.

The fact is, however, that Germany currently does not have many other options than to resort to coal power.

Expanding the renewable forms of energy, as the government plans, will require time and also during these years the electricity supply must be secured.

The government has indeed decided that the remaining three nuclear reactors will continue to produce electricity over the winter, but after that it is definitely over. Viewed in the big picture, nuclear power's role is already almost marginal.

- Of course, I hope that there will be a change, may it be nuclear power or renewable energy. Everything is better than lignite, says activist Feluda.

- Going back to nuclear power is something I will not discuss as long as we in Germany do not discuss how we can reduce electricity consumption, says Mara Sauer. According to her, it is mainly in industry that these savings must take place.

Marina Scheidler, whom I met in Lützerath already this spring, is currently more doubtful about whether the village really can be saved anymore.

- I don't think any political decisions will save Lützerath. My hopes are that we will get so many people here that it will be impossible to destroy the village, says Scheidler.

Oh dear, oh well, so sad.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

quote:

- Going back to nuclear power is something I will not discuss as long as we in Germany do not discuss how we can reduce electricity consumption, says Mara Sauer. According to her, it is mainly in industry that these savings must take place.

Is what you are mainly arguing against when talking about nuclear. Takes that have their roots in wishing there was less poor people to supply electricity or standard of living to. All the rubbish about cost of nuclear, storing a few kt of waste, capitalism is the enemy, wont someone think of the warm water in the river, the O+G made me picket the reactor is all a fig leaf for a lot of the green movement being anti-people. Electric cars and electrifying transport alone mean that the electricity production in Germany has to scale up, not down.

To be fair, one of the most effective methods for suppressing nuclear is asking the question;

Do you want nuclear; Yes/No
Do you want wind farms spoiling your view; Yes/No
Do you want coal with climate change: Yes/No
Etc,

Rather than;

Do you want (pick as many as you want, impact of multiple selection reducing negative impact of each individual selection); coal with its climate change, wind farms with the extra x number of deaths a year and spoiled views, water dams with risk of multi thousand deaths, nuclear with its large up-front cost, etc.

Asking as an individual question is asking whether you want the negative and saying "no" implies you don't have to have any negative.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

His Divine Shadow posted:

Germans angry and dissapointed at getting what they voted for, google translated.

Oh dear, oh well, so sad.
That article is disingenuous in several aspects: the destruction of Lützerath has been planned for a long time already - it has nothing to do with the increased coal use. The village is empty except for protesters. The final agreement that was made leading to the destruction of Lützerath also saved several other villages that were supposed to be destroyed, sped up the end of coal in that region by 8 years, and half of the coal that was already allowed to be extracted will not be extracted.
In exchange for all of that, more coal will be extracted in the time range up to 2030 (but still overall less than had been agreed to in the last agreement).

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Lol at that nuclear quote. Supposedly they've earmarked almost half a trillion EUR for various bailouts and subsidies: https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/germanys-half-a-trillion-dollar-energy-bazooka-may-not-be-enough-2022-12-15/

Even at the rates of the disaster of a project that was OL3, that would've been enough to build around 40 1.6GW units like that, assuming nobody eventually figures out how to make them more effectively. That would cover electricity needs entirely.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

mobby_6kl posted:

Lol at that nuclear quote. Supposedly they've earmarked almost half a trillion EUR for various bailouts and subsidies: https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/germanys-half-a-trillion-dollar-energy-bazooka-may-not-be-enough-2022-12-15/

Even at the rates of the disaster of a project that was OL3, that would've been enough to build around 40 1.6GW units like that, assuming nobody eventually figures out how to make them more effectively. That would cover electricity needs entirely.

At the time of the last election the competing proposal was to take all that money and pay it directly to the investment banks, the true victims. And under no circumstances ever to invest into any infrastructure, including power plants.

The movement withing the green party towards accepting nuclear is more likely to lead to a new NPP, then the movement within the CDU against austerity.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

I was looking at the French power production and now they are back to exporting power and curtailing nuclear production. I assume a lot of coal power in Germany is online though still, what mechanisms are there to curtail cross boarder coal generation prior to nuclear generation? I mean other than physical interconnectors.

VictualSquid posted:

At the time of the last election the competing proposal was to take all that money and pay it directly to the investment banks, the true victims. And under no circumstances ever to invest into any infrastructure, including power plants.

The movement withing the green party towards accepting nuclear is more likely to lead to a new NPP, then the movement within the CDU against austerity.

ok, there is definitely an eat the rich argument to be made there but plans on eating the rich don't have to stop us insisting the greens get on board for the climate, considering they are the ones that self-declare as the only people that care.

Also, if nuclear was not at such risk activism wise, I am sure CDU types would be all on board. They are investments with a massive barrier of entry of needing large capital. You try and find somewhere to park 500 billion euros with a 5 or 10% return on investment for 60 years.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

I was looking at the French power production and now they are back to exporting power and curtailing nuclear production. I assume a lot of coal power in Germany is online though still, what mechanisms are there to curtail cross boarder coal generation prior to nuclear generation? I mean other than physical interconnectors.
Yeah seems like the wind is now causing electricity costs to be even negative sometimes lol. Germany also replaced most of the coal now but still enough to keep the grid relatively dirty. (Also what happened with that story where they kept burning coal/gas but didn't count it because they didn't generate electricity?) They have their own tracker thing somewhere but you can check on the situation here as well: https://app.electricitymaps.com/zone/DE

(Coal is brown, wind is.. greenish?)

I don't know of any mechanism that would encourage them to turn off coal completely and pay France for nukes, but there should be. Otherwise they'll just keep burning coal while nukes are idling because coal works out to be 1EUR cheaper per MWh.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

ok, there is definitely an eat the rich argument to be made there but plans on eating the rich don't have to stop us insisting the greens get on board for the climate, considering they are the ones that self-declare as the only people that care.

Also, if nuclear was not at such risk activism wise, I am sure CDU types would be all on board. They are investments with a massive barrier of entry of needing large capital. You try and find somewhere to park 500 billion euros with a 5 or 10% return on investment for 60 years.

Well those interconnection cost more money then the CDU types are prepared to ever invest into power infrastructure. As in, there was funding to build them set aside, in case we need some french nuclear power for some reason, and the CDU cut that funding.
The CDU types are 100% obvious about the fact that they would never invest money into any power plants of any type under any circumstances.
Even the subgroup that you get your arguments from is only saying that if the greens never forced people to believe in climate change hate nuclear power, then the free market could solve all energy issues.

The lack of new nuclear power plants during the Merkel years comes from Austerity politics. The 2014 shutdown schedule was an attempt at distraction from the other disastrous energy policy decisions, that obviously succeeded with you.

And whats more is that anti-nuclear attitudes became an apolitical default opinion. Based on the timing to me it makes more sense to blame the pro-nuclear lobby then the green movement for that, but it is debatable.
Anyways, that gave us a new right wing Atomausstieg. Which differed from the green Atomausstieg in that the CDU considered the loss of shareholder profits for the nuclear industry to be the only danger of the Atomausstieg. As that can be solved with bailouts, that means it can proceed much quicker then the green Atomausstieg.
Everybody who identified as pro-nuclear in 2014 German agreed that those bailouts solve all problems that they had with the original Atomausstieg. Which you noticed by the lack of pro-nuclear protests, especially among the anti-fossil protests.

The nuclear question asked in any German election since 2014 is not pro vs anti nuclear. Is the biggest downside of the Atomausstieg the danger of fossil fuel dependency? Or is the most important danger of the Atomausstieg to the investor profits in the nuclear industry?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Maybe this is just crazy talk, but why does fusion power need to be a continuous source? The technology around setting off a fusion reaction is well understood at this point. And the technology around energy storage is getting better. Is it impossible to use hydrogen bombs underground to (for example) melt a large amount of salt at once, or boil a large amount of water to move it to a higher elevation? The amount of energy that can be generated is so large that the conversion to stored energy wouldn't even need to be particularly efficient.