Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Desmond is just very inscrutable. Like it's hard to tell what he is thinking period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Raenir Salazar posted:

Honestly after seeing some fanart of Anya and Damian being older I really hope it does the Boy Meets World thing of us following along their family antics over the years. Make it like a long running soap opera sort of deal.

It doesn't really require much imagination since the author's previous work, "Witch Craze" has a doppleganger for Anya as a teen as the main character.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nitrousoxide posted:

It doesn't really require much imagination since the author's previous work, "Witch Craze" has a doppleganger for Anya as a teen as the main character.

Wow, she even has the horns and her clothes are similar to the Eden uniform, he just recycled this design completely but aged down, huh.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I mean, it's a good design and that manga didn't take off...so why not?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I dunno, but I hope that he doesn't run Spy X Family longer than it needs to go just because it's popular. Hit the story beats as they come and fi a good spot to conclude it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tsob posted:

I mean, it's a good design and that manga didn't take off...so why not?

It was a one-shot, so not taking off means less than with a longer series. Even when one shots don't get fully remade, it's common for writers to grab something from them for later use.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Wow, she even has the horns and her clothes are similar to the Eden uniform, he just recycled this design completely but aged down, huh.

Her earrings ended up on Yor

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Fabricated posted:

Anya being a year or two younger than her classmates but being fairly gifted for her age would likely result in her very rapidly catching up to her classmates as she hits the appropriate age to learn the material she's on.

I dunno how long the series plans to go in-world though- the mission is framed as being a short term, year or two thing but given the insane popularity of the series I could see it getting extended. I don't think you could do a big time skip though because part of what makes the whole dynamic work is Anya being a baby basically; Anya at middle-school/high-school age would really change how it all works.

It's always been talked about as a long term mission where'd you get the year or two thing from? Being a imperial scholar requires 7 stellas you can't do that in two years

Blaze Dragon posted:

Good designs are rare always reuse them

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

SirKibbles posted:

It's always been talked about as a long term mission where'd you get the year or two thing from? Being a imperial scholar requires 7 stellas you can't do that in two years

This is the mission that started with "find a wife and kid by next week; no, we have no wives or kids to offer you."

I don't think we can assume that any of WISE's other mission parameters are any more sensible.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Well they had one wife but she seemed kind of stalkery so they omitted her from the list.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

tsob posted:

Would it? Cause I'm pretty sure it's an open question what would happen then, given she's both an imperial schooler deserving of distinguishment and a troublemaker deserving of expelling. Which is what makes it such a fun idea to land on, because no-one would have any real idea what to do.

The consequences for 8 bolts is immediate expulsion.

The reward for 8 Stellas is being allowed to come to a party.

These two things are not opposites and, thus, do not negate one another. Even if they wanted to honor the recipient of 8 Stellas despite receiving 8 bolts they can still allow them to attend the party as a former Imperial Scholar after expelling them.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Adder Moray posted:

The consequences for 8 bolts is immediate expulsion.

The reward for 8 Stellas is being allowed to come to a party.

These two things are not opposites and, thus, do not negate one another. Even if they wanted to honor the recipient of 8 Stellas despite receiving 8 bolts they can still allow them to attend the party as a former Imperial Scholar after expelling them.

The reward isn't being allowed to go to a party; it's being inducted as an imperial scholar i.e. the elite of the student body who basically always go on to achieve great things and become notable in society. The party is just something Desmond hosts that only Imperial Scholars are invited to, not the actual reward for becoming one. It's also the only part of it that Wise or Loid are interested in, so even if Anya was actually expelled it wouldn't matter narratively, because the situation would still have gotten maximum comedy and drama out of the tonitrus system and the story could still advance.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
With seven of each, Anya will do something both tremendously heroic and egregious, garnering one tonitrus and two stellas. This makes her the only person to ever have eight bolts and nine stars.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SirKibbles posted:

You totally can get 8 in a few months, Anya is probably not capable of it however.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

In order to get 8 Stella in that length of time would require heroic scholarship or just plain acts of heroism.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

In order to get 8 Stella in that length of time would require heroic scholarship or just plain acts of heroism.

I heard you can just win some games of dodgeball can't be that hard

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Finally caught the last episode. I never really noticed the scars in the manga, but also the manga seemed to make his mood swings a bit more obvious. I think we can't rule out the possibility that he's being (at least partially) mind controlled himself. It would explain the mood shifts and the extreme security around him, even distancing him from his own family (Loid's own doubts in this episode about being able to perfectly impersonate people would seem like an important context clue in that regard). The mood shifts and noncommittal answers make a lot more sense if you assume that someone else is piloting behind his eyes.

You may not be able to fully understand other people, but some factions may think that controlling them is loads easier.

usenet celeb 1992 fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 30, 2022

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Finally caught the last episode. I never really noticed the scars in the manga, but also the manga seemed to make his mood swings a bit more obvious. I think we can't rule out the possibility that he's being (at least partially) mind controlled himself. It would explain the mood shifts and the extreme security around him, even distancing him from his own family (Loid's own doubts in this episode about being able to perfectly impersonate people would seem like an important context clue in that regard). The mood shifts and noncommittal answers make a lot more sense if you assume that someone else is piloting behind his eyes.

You may not be able to fully understand other people, but some factions may think that controlling them is loads easier.

Edit: Eh, forget the whole thing.

Kvantum fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Dec 30, 2022

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This is the anime thread

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

The guy is a warmonger, being unhinged fits that.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kwyndig posted:

You can also just get good grades. The highest score on Exams, along with Community Service and impressing the School can award Stellas.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Why isn't she just copying a smart kid?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Sankara posted:

She apparently doesn't sit close to any smart kids and her telepathy is pretty short range.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sankara posted:

because other students will hate her if she gets all perfect scores and that will leopard-ize the mission, she learned that from her dad

narm00
Feb 18, 2006
Also she has to know who the smart kids are first, 'cause she can't figure it out through mind-reading.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

If she doesn't know the right answers, how would she know some other kid has the right answer?

Someone with the wrong answer sounds just as confident in their head.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

There is a bit when Damien smug-faces at her after acing a test and she says she knows who to read answers from during that subject now. So this is something that she's working on doing.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Kwyndig posted:

She apparently doesn't sit close to any smart kids and her telepathy is pretty short range.

I'm pretty sure she's read Damien's mind despite them sitting nearly as far apart as possible in the class.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Plus, she's been in school for a while. The school posts everyone's scores on the big board. Copy the smart kids!

I am very disappointed in the reasoning skills of this fictional baby.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm not 100% sure how consistent the show has been about Anya's grades w/r/t her abilities. Early on IIRC she tried to copy and it backfired because she picked the wrong kid; and recently the drama/conflict of the episode was she needed to study and git gud enough to avoid placing last place because her abilities turn off during the moon. But I don't remember but I think I also got the sense she doesn't rely on her powers BECAUSE it might make it more difficult to make friends which would affect the mission which she might've gotten from Loid? I feel like that's the only way it makes sense for her grades to be consistently kinda low (trending upwards perhaps).

Unless literally she just picks at random and doesn't think to use the scoreboard to narrow it down; but maybe if she copies too perfectly she knows she might get accused of cheating? I'd have to rewatch as I don't really remember.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

but maybe if she copies too perfectly she knows she might get accused of cheating? I'd have to rewatch as I don't really remember.

Yep, that's it. I checked the manga quickly and in chapter 16 (the episode where she gets the Stella in the anime) she says she'll find out which student is good at each subject and copy them, only to read Loids mind and he's thinking about just changing her grades but decides it would be too suspicious for them to change so suddenly and cause the other students to resent her. So she seemingly abandons the idea to just ace every test through mind reading.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Also being able to read everyone's mind all the time is like, the worst ADHD.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

I Am Fowl posted:

Also being able to read everyone's mind all the time is like, the worst ADHD.

At least it seems to only turn on and off at random and isn't on all the time, she might be even able to control it as she gets older I imagine. Unlike Katoura-san who I think it was always on.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Raenir Salazar posted:

At least it seems to only turn on and off at random and isn't on all the time, she might be even able to control it as she gets older I imagine. Unlike Katoura-san who I think it was always on.

We've seen some examples of her being able to sometimes control it already. She made a conscious effort to listen to penguin thoughts, or to scan the area to try and find that one purse-snatcher's thoughts. (That time she was covering a much larger distance!)

But when she was in a crowd of people thinking angry political thoughts, she got overwhelmed and couldn't turn it off. She doesn't seem to have control yet over thoughts that intrude like that.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://twitter.com/brianhioe/status/1609865687882936324

There's video too

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Lmao as fake Lloyd just peaces out mid robbery and leaves fake Anya behind

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
let's abandon anya

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
One of the episodes in this cour revealed how Anya's powers are affected by the moon phase, and her next test was coming when she just wouldn't be able to read anyone's mind.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This came in the mail just now. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Holy poo poo that's cute as hell. Where did you get that from?