Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Levantine posted:

I just finished Chained Echoes and it had the effect of making me want to play FF12 again. What are some of the best mods for a different experience this time around?

Haven't played it myself but the major rebalance mod I hear people talk about is The Struggle for Freedom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Struggle for Freedom cannot escape from being a gameplay mod for FFXII, there's only so much you can dress up a combat system that dull

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Detective No. 27 posted:

Exdeath feels like a tokusatsu villain in contrast. He has a duel with a turtle and then afterward comically cackles as he unleashes his army of colorful monsters. This isn’t a complaint. A thin villain can be refreshing.

I love the unused Amano art of Exdeath lounging in a couch.

He has a lot of personality for being just another big guy in armor.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Schwarzwald posted:

I love the unused Amano art of Exdeath lounging in a couch.

He has a lot of personality for being just another big guy in armor.

I'll order one of what he's having.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
From what I know Exdeath is pretty popular among the 2D villains in Japan. That might be fairly outdated info and kinda hard to check since they usually fall fairly low in character polls anyway, but he's got a following for good reason among FF boomers.

I think he's great for the simple reason of 'knows what this game needs and is perfect for it'. FFV is a game that asks you to go all-out difficulty-wise, and he's perfect for that because he's just relentlessly, unashamedly evil.

EDIT: That relentless evilness also makes him a great asset in the Dissidia games, since it makes him one of the few villains that can REALLY take the helm. If he's a Saturday morning cartoon villain, then Dissidia recognizes that and lets him be their Skeletor.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 29, 2022

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I also forgot to give my appreciation for his name. Exdeath. I would not be surprised if someone at Image Comics was upset when they went to the trademark office and found out that some Japanese game already took it the year prior.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

WoFF:

Cid is a robot

Met the best FF character, AKA, Shantotto

Not a whole lot to say storywise, it's still pretty simple. Need one more key to get to the nebulous ending (it's the Crystal Tower)

It is my understanding that after the ending, there's actually a sort of epilogue that gives you the "true ending". However, I'm going to treat it the same as Type-0's other ending(s) and save it for later and move on to another game after the credits roll.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FrostyPox posted:

WoFF:

Cid is a robot

Met the best FF character, AKA, Shantotto

Not a whole lot to say storywise, it's still pretty simple. Need one more key to get to the nebulous ending (it's the Crystal Tower)

It is my understanding that after the ending, there's actually a sort of epilogue that gives you the "true ending". However, I'm going to treat it the same as Type-0's other ending(s) and save it for later and move on to another game after the credits roll.

IIRc Its not an NG+ thing and the fakeout ending is like "yo, this is a fakeout ending we need to get the real one".

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Barudak posted:

IIRc Its not an NG+ thing and the fakeout ending is like "yo, this is a fakeout ending we need to get the real one".

Oh, I will do it then.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

I haven’t beaten FFV yet, just beat the Fork Tower so I’m close to the end. But I’m amused at the contrast between Golbez and Exdeath.

Golbez is a slave to his darkness. He weaponized his own guilt against Kain to make him his own puppet. He’s very similar to Darth Vader. There’s a lot going on.

Exdeath feels like a tokusatsu villain in contrast. He has a duel with a turtle and then afterward comically cackles as he unleashes his army of colorful monsters. This isn’t a complaint. A thin villain can be refreshing.

If you’re playing the remaster it apparently toned down one of his hammiest qualities, his catchphrase of “Time for your viscera to see the light of day!” which is probably one of the most metal things a Saturday morning cartoon villain has ever had as a catchphrase l.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

FrostyPox posted:

It feels like this game was trying to be Pokemon, but in its own way. And it succeeds!: bland story, bland battles, even the music isn't much to write about. You can see how much potential there is in the world and mechanics, but it's like the developers said "nah, I think this is good enough, ship it."

Barudak
May 7, 2007

World of Final Fantasy lets you raise the capture chance of monsters to 100% which is nice.

I have basically no other positives for its mechanics, but that was cool

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I can't put my finger on it but combat in Pokémon felt much more satisfying. Pokémon's music was a lot better, too.

Caveat: I have only played red/blue and gold/silver

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

FrostyPox posted:

I can't put my finger on it but combat in Pokémon felt much more satisfying. Pokémon's music was a lot better, too.

Caveat: I have only played red/blue and gold/silver

IMO, the issue with WoFF's game play is that it hints at depth that it just doesn't have, or at least reward for experimenting with. You get the ability to manually unstack... except that unstacked characters are so frail and weak it's a throw to touch it and once it becomes an actual factor in fights you fight as hard as you can to prevent it. You get a bunch of monsters with abilities and moves that sound cool... but it's almost always more effective to just use your team with the biggest stats and highest damage moves and kludge the game in the face- Synergy payoffs are just way too slim. It takes too long to raise/run across many of the game's most interesting monsters. Etc, yadda, so on.

It shows a lot of shiny knobs and whistles to experiment with, but Plan 0: More Stats is nearly always the correct plan and it suuuuuucks.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I believe there is also a hard mode or NG+ and they didn't do a good job at that either.
If you can't use the DLC, the game is even more worthless out of the box.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I got the dlc working, had to copy paste a large chunk into the config file. It was annoying.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

Barudak posted:

World of Final Fantasy lets you raise the capture chance of monsters to 100% which is nice.

I have basically no other positives for its mechanics, but that was cool

Hey now, wearing a chocobo as a hat owns. And that chocobo could be wearing a bomb…which is wearing a slime.

Game owns and is so goofy.

At least it isn’t the enraging world of chocobo’s mystery dungeon.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

WoFF:

No visual issues with the Crystal Tower.

Looks like the twins have a sister, but maybe she's an illusion.

Monsters are invading so the Bahamutians can harvest souls. Yeah I guess this is pretty dark but certainly not as visceral as Type-0.

Will probably finish the game tomorrow night!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The very end of Crisis Core is very goofy in terms of pacing. Just suddenly Genesis pops up (and I'm now doing this kind of convoluted dungeon that I'm finally almost done with), and also Lazard as an Angeal copy (lol wtf?). They should have resolved the Genesis stuff before Sephiroth going crazy (which seems like it should logically result in a direct path to Zach getting killed while trying to get to Midgard with Cloud).

FF7R should have had a cameo by flying Angeal-face dog.

edit: Wait no! Not Angeal-face dog! I will never forgive Shinra...

edit2: As a Zach IRL I'm happy that I have a "Thank you, Zack" achievement on Steam now, even if it's spelled with a "k" instead of an "h"

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Dec 30, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I fully do not remember what Angeals deal even was.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Mostly honor and also not understanding what honor is. Also he was nice and friendly for a weirdo.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Am I supposed to know who the two guys who take Genesis away near the end of Crisis Core are?

Gaius Marius posted:

I fully do not remember what Angeals deal even was.

There isn't a lot there; he was an experiment like Genesis (at one point they say he was the "perfected" version, but this seems meaningless since he seemed to be experiencing the decaying just like Genesis), and he leaves SOLDIER presumably to do some soul-searching about the whole "being an experimental monster-like thing" issue. In the end apparently he decides to...just kinda vaguely assist Zack some? And then he makes Zack kill him, I guess as a "I'm going to die anyway, might as well be to my protege" gesture.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Am I supposed to know who the two guys who take Genesis away near the end of Crisis Core are?
Dirge of Cerberus characters

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Mr. Locke posted:

IMO, the issue with WoFF's game play is that it hints at depth that it just doesn't have, or at least reward for experimenting with. You get the ability to manually unstack... except that unstacked characters are so frail and weak it's a throw to touch it and once it becomes an actual factor in fights you fight as hard as you can to prevent it. You get a bunch of monsters with abilities and moves that sound cool... but it's almost always more effective to just use your team with the biggest stats and highest damage moves and kludge the game in the face- Synergy payoffs are just way too slim. It takes too long to raise/run across many of the game's most interesting monsters. Etc, yadda, so on.

It shows a lot of shiny knobs and whistles to experiment with, but Plan 0: More Stats is nearly always the correct plan and it suuuuuucks.

Isn't a lot of this kind of true about (non-competitive) Pokemon as well, though? I also only played the first few Pokemons as a kid and then Sword/Shield recently, but those games are all easiest if you use literally nothing but your starter pokemon all game long and ignore the whole Types thing - the starter pokemon gets so far ahead in levels that it starts killing everything in one hit with an untyped attack, meaning it's technically less efficient to even deal with things like catching other pokemon.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

deep dish peat moss posted:

Isn't a lot of this kind of true about (non-competitive) Pokemon as well, though? I also only played the first few Pokemons as a kid and then Sword/Shield recently, but those games are all easiest if you use literally nothing but your starter pokemon all game long and ignore the whole Types thing - the starter pokemon gets so far ahead in levels that it starts killing everything in one hit with an untyped attack, meaning it's technically less efficient to even deal with things like catching other pokemon.

The difference is that experimentation in Pokemon is rewarded. You can just ham-fist through Pokemon with a starter, but you can also build an in-game team focused around Rain and once you get the pieces for it, it'll be capable of also plowing through just about everything. Or building a team around a handful of support Pokemon with status moves and field-altering effects to go in and control the field for one or two sweepers to come in, set up, and murder everything. Or you can decide you're just done with status moves and lug around a Raticate with Guts and let it get statused (or hold a Toxic/Burn Orb in games where they can be found early enough) and come out whenever some obnoxious grass type with two Powder moves shows up. And a lot of it works better then just powerleveling your starter- you don't need to do it, but you can and you will usually get back out what you put in.

WoFF lacks that. None of it's synergies really go past Support Mirage + Powerful Mirage, creating mono-element stacks to unlock stronger spells, or occasionally stacking potent passives. The most important decisions you'll ever make is if you're going to just equip the strongest stacks or if you're going to sacrifice some combat potency for useful utility abilities like Flee. Experimentation is minimal and there is no real way to decide to do something completely different with a team- it'll just be better or worse at doing very similar things.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Mr. Locke posted:

The difference is that experimentation in Pokemon is rewarded. You can just ham-fist through Pokemon with a starter, but you can also build an in-game team focused around Rain and once you get the pieces for it, it'll be capable of also plowing through just about everything. Or building a team around a handful of support Pokemon with status moves and field-altering effects to go in and control the field for one or two sweepers to come in, set up, and murder everything. Or you can decide you're just done with status moves and lug around a Raticate with Guts and let it get statused (or hold a Toxic/Burn Orb in games where they can be found early enough) and come out whenever some obnoxious grass type with two Powder moves shows up. And a lot of it works better then just powerleveling your starter- you don't need to do it, but you can and you will usually get back out what you put in.

WoFF lacks that. None of it's synergies really go past Support Mirage + Powerful Mirage, creating mono-element stacks to unlock stronger spells, or occasionally stacking potent passives. The most important decisions you'll ever make is if you're going to just equip the strongest stacks or if you're going to sacrifice some combat potency for useful utility abilities like Flee. Experimentation is minimal and there is no real way to decide to do something completely different with a team- it'll just be better or worse at doing very similar things.

I wonder if this sort of thing would've actually happened if WoFF got a sequel. I mean, you can talk up experimentation in Pokemon all you want, but that did NOT exist in gen 1; out of everything you said, rain and other weather effects got introduced in gen 2, abilities in gen 3, field-altering effects in gen 2 if you count stuff like Spikes and gen 6 otherwise, holding items in general in gen 2, Toxic and Flame Orb in gen 4. In gen 1 all that really existed among all this was status moves, and they basically only exist as 'use Amnesia or Sword Dance before going to town'.

Pokemon didn't start out nuanced and experimentation-friendly, and perhaps we're falling into a mistake of comparing WoFF to contemporary Pokemon when it was never given the runway to find itself out of being Red and Blue.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I've decided that Crisis Core's long range instahit Death status attacks from offscreen are bullshit. Especially if they are multi-shot, and there are four guys that can do it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pokemon also came out on the game boy advanced, aimed at children, in 1998.

I also know Im totally alone but I think 90% of all my damage in boss fights by about the midgame in WoFF came from items. My creatures attacks were just to get me through the dungeon so I could money obliterate bosses.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Cleretic posted:

I wonder if this sort of thing would've actually happened if WoFF got a sequel. I mean, you can talk up experimentation in Pokemon all you want, but that did NOT exist in gen 1; out of everything you said, rain and other weather effects got introduced in gen 2, abilities in gen 3, field-altering effects in gen 2 if you count stuff like Spikes and gen 6 otherwise, holding items in general in gen 2, Toxic and Flame Orb in gen 4. In gen 1 all that really existed among all this was status moves, and they basically only exist as 'use Amnesia or Sword Dance before going to town'.

Pokemon didn't start out nuanced and experimentation-friendly, and perhaps we're falling into a mistake of comparing WoFF to contemporary Pokemon when it was never given the runway to find itself out of being Red and Blue.

Gen 1 Pokemon also came out in 1995, were technical and design messes, and got by on raw appeal. You wouldn't catch me calling Gen 1 Pokemon good games even by the time Gen 2 came out and certainly not now.

It was also the trailblazer. The idea of a monster-raising RPG wasn't exactly new, but the way Pokemon handled it was, and it forged it's path. Gen One fell on it's rear end so Gen Two could walk, and Gen Three on could run and figure out how to be actual great games.

World of Final Fantasy came out in 2016, twenty-one years and four console generations later, and one month before Sun and Moon, Generation Seven or Pokemon. Even being the first game in it's own series, it had all those years of genre history and additional game design knowledge to pull from and it just didn't. I certainly hope a sequel could do better, since Final Fantasy has like the fourth most famous bestiary in gaming after Mario, Dragon Quest, and Pokemon and I'd love to see them take a better swing at it because the game we got... it ain't it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Honestly the leveling system for your creatures in WoFF is so on its face bad that I'm not sure how that passed muster.

What if we combined the tedium of the Sphere Grid with dead levels and didn't tell you how to progress through arbitrary gates?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Gen 1 Pokemon isn't a good game, because it's a great game

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I spent some time looking at mods for Zodiac Age and landed on Struggle for Freedom as suggested, with a smattering of Insurgent's stuff for QoL. Having 36 gambits available at once makes mage-ing a lot more fun. There is a new SFF mod based on FFT that looks interesting, but it's brand spanking new and I'm not sure I want to change gears mid-game. Might be fun for a later playthrough.

Game is good and I'm sad we likely wont ever see Ivalice again.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Mr. Locke posted:

Gen 1 Pokemon also came out in 1995, were technical and design messes, and got by on raw appeal. You wouldn't catch me calling Gen 1 Pokemon good games even by the time Gen 2 came out and certainly not now.

I’m confused, your post reads like you’re implying Gen 2 was a better game than 1 when it has a bunch of its issues and new ones like a worse campaign?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Gen 2 is still barely worth playing, while Gen 1 just isn't at all

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Twitch Plays Pokemon was the best way to revisit Gen 1in the modern era, even as a hardcore fan I just can't imagine playing it properly now

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i mean pokemon has added like, four quality of life features since gen 1, and three of those started with sun/moon. i played yellow when they put it out on the 3ds and its basically the same as anything through gen 6

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Super No Vacancy posted:

i mean pokemon has added like, four quality of life features since gen 1, and three of those started with sun/moon. i played yellow when they put it out on the 3ds and its basically the same as anything through gen 6

Weather, terrain, physical/special split, doubles, vastly expanded variety of moves, I'd say there's a good amount of feature expansion up to gen 6

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

oh yeah they jam it full of gimmicks but that’s not really qol. the core gameplay is still spamming your type advantage move and waiting two hours for it to tell you its super effective and x is poisoned and y’s special defense has decreased

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

I’m confused, your post reads like you’re implying Gen 2 was a better game than 1 when it has a bunch of its issues and new ones like a worse campaign?

Oh no, Gen 2 has a ton of issues, and it's aged incredibly poorly. The middle of the campaign is incredibly soggy since the scaling gets really weird after the 4th gym, the entire Rocket distraction is pointless and boring, Kanto was a cool easter egg but completely devoid of any kind of real design. But it was far more built and had more going on as a game- Pokemon had more interesting movepools more often (though still often STAB + Normal exclusively, maybe sporting a single utility move that may or may not be relevant in the campaign was still way too common) and the fixed bugs made a lot more Pokemon and moves functionally relevant. There is something about Gen 1's tighter experience that makes it at least feel much snappier and brisk as a campaign, but it's still not a very good game.