Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

For dinky little birds, budgies are extremely intense and feisty.
Compared to cockatiels, budgies are at least 3 times as up for a fight.
I have Pookie on my shoulder right this minute, and despite her past history of biting me when hormonal, I trust her, because she really is very very different at normal times. When she is herself, she is extremely gentle and polite :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Pesto's just not usually a fighter and it was just weird seeing him try to kill my hand, like he wanted it dead. He kept like, coming back for more. And then flew to my shoulder and just sat there, so he has no qualms with my head or face. Just my hands.

But right now I can't even get him to do more than a gentle gumming. I picked him up and mussed his feathers up and everything. Mornings seem to be roughest. Perhaps I should wait a bit longer before waking them up in the morning? I hope I'm not too noisy at night and keeping them up or anything.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Joking comparison: Dealing with the bird version of grumpy teenagers is probably better to let them sleep in.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/upvMsgO.mp4

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

GotLag posted:

One of the youngsters in the park, started eating from my hand last week, video from yesterday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apO1K5wfhJY

https://www.psypost.org/2022/11/encounters-with-birds-linked-to-improved-mental-wellbeing-for-up-to-approximately-8-hours-64330

Birds: They're Good For You

Magpies kick rear end. So much I adopted one that couldn't be rewilded. This is his second night in the aviary and 4th night with us overall (was crazy cold first couple of nights so kept him inside)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4019885

imHitchens
Oct 24, 2012

harlequin macaw

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Magpies kick rear end. So much I adopted one that couldn't be rewilded. This is his second night in the aviary and 4th night with us overall (was crazy cold first couple of nights so kept him inside)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4019885

Oh wow! Really makes me miss living near and helping out at a sanctuary.

We’ve been feeding our local magpies ahead of winter and they are the best. I’m happy they are still afraid of us but managing to get the food without having tipped off the seagulls.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

My Chick has a lipoma right before her vent and it has totally ruined my day. For the longest time I couldn't shake the feeling that something was up, because she holds her tail strangely and I started noticing a slight bulge on her keel. I got more and more anxious worrying it was egg binding. I managed to gently grab hold of her today when she was rummaging around up in my sleeve and had a closer look. When I parted the feathers along her keel, I saw a yellowish lump.

There are no avian vets in this country, I've spent hundreds of $ on various treatments and vets and they're all a joke. I've had multiple "vets" tell me to let my birds die and just buy a new one for a few bucks. Anyway, there's not much I can do. I just have to hope it doesn't get worse. I'll be moving them onto a pellet diet because now it's serious. I feel like Chick was just genetically predisposed to it because she is light blue in colour so I figure she is the result of lots of inbreeding. They both gets tonnes of activity and fly all over my apartment daily.

I just wish I was in a country that had reliable avian vets so I could at least feel more prepared for whatever may come. My worst nightmare is seeing the lipoma get bigger and bigger and impact her quality of life.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I'm so sorry poor Chick is having a rough time :(

I just got back in from doing the very last bits of Christmas shopping (it's nearly 5.30 p.m. here), and only then realized we had forgotten Pookie's present!
Every year for the last 20 or so years, she gets a bag of toffees or fudge*- she gets to 'unwrap' it herself - i.e. she chews on a corner until she finds something sweet. I genuinely think she'd be a. shocked and b. ANGRY if she realized that there was no present for her.
Coming up to Christmas, we have to watch her near the tree, because she will absolutely try to have a chew on a few parcels in search of hers :kimchi:

Anyway, you will all, I am sure, all be very relieved to hear that a bag of wine gums was found, so she will not think Santa has forgotten her tomorrow morning.

*She only gets little bits - and no more than one a day over Christmas, nowhere near the whole bagful

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Qubee posted:

My Chick has a lipoma right before her vent and it has totally ruined my day. For the longest time I couldn't shake the feeling that something was up, because she holds her tail strangely and I started noticing a slight bulge on her keel. I got more and more anxious worrying it was egg binding. I managed to gently grab hold of her today when she was rummaging around up in my sleeve and had a closer look. When I parted the feathers along her keel, I saw a yellowish lump.

There are no avian vets in this country, I've spent hundreds of $ on various treatments and vets and they're all a joke. I've had multiple "vets" tell me to let my birds die and just buy a new one for a few bucks. Anyway, there's not much I can do. I just have to hope it doesn't get worse. I'll be moving them onto a pellet diet because now it's serious. I feel like Chick was just genetically predisposed to it because she is light blue in colour so I figure she is the result of lots of inbreeding. They both gets tonnes of activity and fly all over my apartment daily.

I just wish I was in a country that had reliable avian vets so I could at least feel more prepared for whatever may come. My worst nightmare is seeing the lipoma get bigger and bigger and impact her quality of life.

I think you may be on to something regarding brighter blue budgies being susceptible to things like lipoma. I'm sure you've already read that lipomas are unfortunately common in budgies. Switching their diet to something less fatty like pellets is a good idea.

If the lipoma is near her vent you'll just want to make sure any exposed skin remains clean and healthy looking. Though they aren't death sentences, a lipoma can become so much worse if it were to ever get infected.

Also monitor her legs and toes. Can she move and grip with all of them? Any type of neoplasia can push on the nerves and result in lameness.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Well, the Christmas wine gums were a massive flop :(
She chewed her way into the bag as usual, but when she realised it was jellies, not toffee, she drew herself up and stepped away.
No flavor of jelly was acceptable.

Very fortunately, someone else got a sort of hard taffy, which was deemed a reasonable substitute :)

lithium flour
Jan 27, 2012

a fully digital ovine
Ed is enjoying his wrapping paper.

(after dealing with the paper, he lost interest in the toys inside and wandered off..)

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/tqZrXh0.mp4

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Well nothing beats having a god drat heart attack immediately upon returning home from work. Chick was acting all kinds of strange and seemed incredibly ill. I started worrying, especially when she started straining and I saw her insides coming (and staying) outside. I thought "great, this is it, I come home from work and get to witness a bird I really care for slowly die due to a prolapse". Chick was being super needy and kept coming onto me and trying to nest in my lap, at first I thought she was trying to find somewhere safe and familiar to die, but then she strained and I saw a blood covered egg shell.

At this point, you'd be thinking I became relieved? No. I became more stressed, my mind jumped from death by prolapse to death by egg binding, because no matter how hard she strained, the fuckin' egg wouldn't pop out. It was a seemingly large egg for such a small bird. I think this went on for about fifteen minutes, but it felt like an hour. She finally managed to push the egg out and it dropped to the floor and splatted and she became so exhausted. I immediately gave her some millet because of course she deserves a drat treat for ending my worry.

So maybe her bulge wasn't a lipoma and was instead just an egg? The lipoma did look yellow though so I don't know, or maybe her egg was just pushing her skin outwards and I was seeing regular fat deposits. Either way, I'm emotionally drained and hated every second of this. I love these two stupid idiot birds too much for my own good. Chick has been perched on my hand with her beak resting against my nose, or snuggled up on my shoulder. She did good. But now I've got a tonne of reading to do on how to prevent chronic egg laying, which is ridiculous seeing as I followed all the advice on how to prevent egg laying in the first place which didn't work in the slightest.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Qubee posted:

Well nothing beats having a god drat heart attack immediately upon returning home from work. Chick was acting all kinds of strange and seemed incredibly ill. I started worrying, especially when she started straining and I saw her insides coming (and staying) outside. I thought "great, this is it, I come home from work and get to witness a bird I really care for slowly die due to a prolapse". Chick was being super needy and kept coming onto me and trying to nest in my lap, at first I thought she was trying to find somewhere safe and familiar to die, but then she strained and I saw a blood covered egg shell.

At this point, you'd be thinking I became relieved? No. I became more stressed, my mind jumped from death by prolapse to death by egg binding, because no matter how hard she strained, the fuckin' egg wouldn't pop out. It was a seemingly large egg for such a small bird. I think this went on for about fifteen minutes, but it felt like an hour. She finally managed to push the egg out and it dropped to the floor and splatted and she became so exhausted. I immediately gave her some millet because of course she deserves a drat treat for ending my worry.

So maybe her bulge wasn't a lipoma and was instead just an egg? The lipoma did look yellow though so I don't know, or maybe her egg was just pushing her skin outwards and I was seeing regular fat deposits. Either way, I'm emotionally drained and hated every second of this. I love these two stupid idiot birds too much for my own good. Chick has been perched on my hand with her beak resting against my nose, or snuggled up on my shoulder. She did good. But now I've got a tonne of reading to do on how to prevent chronic egg laying, which is ridiculous seeing as I followed all the advice on how to prevent egg laying in the first place which didn't work in the slightest.

Qubee, as I write this I am in the waiting room of the animal hospital with a very very similar but worse-case problem. I woke up to two thirds of a bloody egg sticking out of Mayo's bottom, with tissue dried and bound to the egg. I as calmly as I could, tried to get the area into warm water. Touching the egg just made her hurt and bleed.

Made a call for the animal emergency hospital and got a ride in. Gone through half a box of tissues.

An hour and a half later they got the egg out. I'm told her cloacal area is swollen and a little bloody still. She'll be coming home with antibiotics, calcium and pain killers.

I'm still waiting around for the swelling to go down before I take her home. I'm going to have to monitor and keep her away from Pesto for a bit.

They think she started laying it last night but just went to sleep instead of finishing laying

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm so glad Mayo is doing okay, just getting the drat thing out is most of the risk over. What is Mayo's diet like? I've always been absolutely terrified of egg laying because I have no avian vets to take mine to if things become bad. As a result of this, I've always been so OCD about their vitamin intake / diet.

I would love to have some boys because they just seem so much more inquisitive and playful and friendly. But I'll never allow myself to cave because I've read posts online of users complaining because the females will become so brokenly hormonal and prolapse / chronically egg lay.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I wouldn't say she's okay just yet. I'm still at the animal hospital. She needs to have cloacal sutures.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Sending love and best wishes for a full and speedy recoveries for Chick and Mayo
:love: :lovebird: :love:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I wouldn't say she's okay just yet. I'm still at the animal hospital. She needs to have cloacal sutures.

You're a good bird parent. Here's to this becoming a distant bad memory and Mayo making a full recovery.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

She will be coming home with me in about an hour. I'll have to keep her and Pesto separate which is easier said than done.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Good luck you two, god that's scary :(

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Back home about 8 hours after landing at the emergency vet. and 1000 dollars shorter. I love her so much.

Pesto isn't sure why he's not allowed to find Mayo and I assume he's been flocking calling like a mad bird all day. Mayo will be in the travel cage following me around for the next week (well, not at work) or more.

I'm not going to lie, Mayo's vent looks like it's painful but everything is sutured. I hope she doesn't pick at it. I'll have to give her different medicines and antibiotics. a few times a day for a week. Surgery on such small animals makes me so nervous.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Gosh that's so stressful :( Best recovery wishes to Mayo and Chick for speedy healing.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
My goodness, I'm so sorry for the stress y'all are going through. My flock in Portland sends their floofy love your way.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I hope all birds a quick recovery. God that's stressful just reading, I can't imaging experiencing it

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Woke up and she was lying prone on her cage floor. She is no longer with us.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I'm so so sorry plant MONSTER.

Mayo was a sweet loving, lovely little hen who you loved and cared for as much as anyone ever could have. It's an absolute tragedy that her life ended so soon.
Budgies are so small and frail and FIERCE, that it gets hard to see them as they really are: they are simultaneously indestructible and also very delicate.
They are far bigger than their dinky little bodies, and they are remembered decades after they leave us behind.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 29, 2022

Qubee
May 31, 2013

That's absolutely heartbreaking to hear, I'm so sorry for what you went through. You did everything in your power to help, and you gave Mayo the best life.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
God it's been a bad few months for birdfriends. I'm so sorry, plant. :smith:

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
I'm so sorry PlantMonster. :(

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Pesto has been doing everything in his power to find her. Hoping so much that his calls will bring her back. I moved the computer and my seating area to be right next to his cage.

This morning he was desperately flying to me in order to find her. We used to play that game whenever he couldn't find her blending in with the stucco.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Pesto has been doing everything in his power to find her. Hoping so much that his calls will bring her back. I moved the computer and my seating area to be right next to his cage.

This morning he was desperately flying to me in order to find her. We used to play that game whenever he couldn't find her blending in with the stucco.

I'm no kind of expert at all, but could it help for him to see her body and understand that she is gone?

We did this when our dog died and our parrot, Pookie, didn't understand, they grew up together, so the idea that she, the bird, would be young, while the dog would be old, was too much for her

Seeing Daisy dead helped Pookie understand that she really was gone away forever.
I am explaining this really badly, but when Daisy died when she was 16, Pookie coped far better after seeing her old friend very definitely dead.
She sat beside her, she sang weird bird songs to her dead friend.
She 100% knew her old friend was dead.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 30, 2022

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

It's very hard looking at Mayo's body. I have her wrapped in tissue in a box in the freezer for now. He saw her body earlier today and did not know how to react. He almost seemed scared of seeing her lying motionless, like it stopped registering as his friend.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

I'm so sorry. Do your best to nurture yourself and Pesto.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I recently lost a bird to egg binding. It's heartbreaking. And the self-blame...

The other two birds in the cage did flock calls for several days, and were pretty muted in their activities for a couple weeks.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
My condolences Plant MONSTER. :(

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009
I am so incredibly sorry to hear that Plant MONSTER, I hope both Pesto and you grieve well. This has been a really bad few months.

e: I very much wish I'd given Jasper more time with Beryl's body.

imHitchens
Oct 24, 2012

harlequin macaw

Our condolences =(. I dread those bad days and hope you are doing ok Plant MONSTER.

The budgie (Zenith! A little female) I found outside my workplace a few months ago is now legally ours, and since yesterday she shares her cage with a little friend (Orion, seemingly male) and some new sticks.

I hope he’s doing ok though, he’s been very puffed up and sleeping a lot since entering the bigger cage. But he’s eating often and also had a drink. Hard to tell his age, no clear young budgie stripes and his cere is quite blue, but he’s small with thin claws. I should have asked the breeder more specifically (couldn’t find any for re-housing over the last two months so went to them to get Zenith a friend) but was so excited to see him that I forgot to ask exact age. Their youngest was eight weeks though so at least that old, but they had varying ages.

Zenith has been very calm and not much has been going on aside from some light preening.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Plant, I'm so sorry. But I know you gave that little birb such a profoundly wonderful life, so I hope you find some moments to smile when you think about them.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

It's funny. I woke up feeling better than I did the day before but a few hours later
the pain is worse than ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

Plant MONSTER. posted:

It's funny. I woke up feeling better than I did the day before but a few hours later
the pain is worse than ever.

It's the worst part of owning a pet. Like it's come to the point where I don't think I want any more pets bc it just hurts too much when they go & I don't have it in me for more sorrow these days.

I look at my three budgies and I just dread when I'll have to say goodbye; they're so precious and unique and every day is brightened by their little-but-giant presences. I don't have much but I have them and they make me so happy.

Every life goes away & not always in the way we'd wish; it just can't be helped. If we keep pets, the best we can do is make their lives warm, safe and content up until then. Your little birb was clearly loved and treasured. My sympathies.