Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Anyone know what (finance) movie this is from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

busalover posted:

Anyone know what (finance) movie this is from?

Seven Pounds, probably

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Origami Dali posted:

Seven Pounds, probably

Huh. I thought it was a movie about the 2008 crash. Imdb makes it sound lame.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
25th hour

https://www.andsoitbeginsfilms.com/2013/07/my-favorite-scene-25th-hour.html

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Lol Pepper wore the same suit and tie in both movies

RoyaleWithCheese
May 20, 2007
I've been trying to find this Samurai movie for a many years with no luck. First though - it's not drunken samurai. drunk samurai or any variation of. It doesn't star any well known asian actors that I would know, and there is at least one white actor for sure. It's in colour, if I had to guess the date I would say 80s but I'm not too sure. I watched this movie in the very early 2000s on cable tv, on a tube tv my family had kept since the 90s. I can't remember if it's English or English subtitled, I saw this movie 20 years ago and watched it in a bit of a sleepy daze but I remember a few things about it that stand out. There's a white male actor that is playing a foreigner visiting some kind of samurai school and learning to use a sword. Somewhere towards the end of the movie this actor fights one of the masters and they end up with both backs to each other, locked in this position neither able to move since a move from either one would result in their death.
There's another story line, one of them is an assassin who hates his job and so gets drunk all the time. I remember he would be drinking out of a pottery vase and had black hair. That's about all I can remember of that character.
This movie had incredible choreographed fight scenes, actually some of the best I had ever seen up to that point and now up to this point. There's one scene where there's a fight with one of the masters, I don't recall who he's fighting but the weapon the master was using was some kind of bladed ball attached to a chain or rope. I believe the master had white hair/beard. There's other very well done weapon fight scenes in this movie but I don't remember the details, I do remember every fight scene was filmed and performed at a level that was really impressive. Props to he who can name this movie.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Sir that sounds like the 1980 Shogun miniseries movie thing that was in partnership with Toho, hence having good fights and a bunch of great Japanese actors, but they’re from generations ago.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Was there a contempo setting at all? The TV show Master Ninja took place in one if so. Young wHite dude who was not Michael Dudikoff from American Ninja because then it would be American Ninja and older dude with a mustache and a brief appearance by Demi Moore

RoyaleWithCheese posted:

I remember he would be drinking out of a pottery vase and had black hair. That's about all I can remember of that character.

Some people in Japan are known to have that yeah

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Dec 30, 2022

filmcynic
Oct 30, 2012

RoyaleWithCheese posted:

There's a white male actor that is playing a foreigner visiting some kind of samurai school and learning to use a sword. Somewhere towards the end of the movie this actor fights one of the masters and they end up with both backs to each other, locked in this position neither able to move since a move from either one would result in their death.

1995's The Hunted definitely has the locked-up dueling moment you mentioned, although the foreigner (Christopher Lambert) isn't actually in the scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY-4FCh9UFY

filmcynic fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 30, 2022

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

filmcynic posted:

1995's The Hunted definitely has the locked-up dueling moment you mentioned, although the foreigner (Christopher Lambert) isn't actually in the scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY-4FCh9UFY

Lambert's done that scene several times. He also did it in Highlander: Endgame twice, once to set up Chekov's Gun and once to fire it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I need a complete list of every movie featuring a scene where someone smuggles a gun somewhere in pieces and then assembles it

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
In The Line Of Fire was my first thought.
The Day Of The Jackal. The Man With The Golden Gun.

Torquemada fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 30, 2022

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Some that spring to mind,

Day of the Jackal (1973) - a suppressed .22 rifle pieced together from false crutches
eXistenZ (1999) - a body horror tooth gun assembled from the carcass of a meal
From Paris with Love (2010) - a handgun snuck past airport security in multiple energy drink cans
In the Line of Fire (1993) - a two shot ceramic handgun snuck into and assembled at a presidential dinner

e:f,b

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

And The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then The Bigfoot has him assembling the gun he kills Hitler with out of unassuming stuff in his pockets,

I'm sure there's more examples, and it's always very good.

filmcynic
Oct 30, 2012

Jedit posted:

Lambert's done that scene several times. He also did it in Highlander: Endgame twice, once to set up Chekov's Gun and once to fire it.

I had no idea that Lambert even had a signature move. Thanks!

w/r/t the gun assembling list, Tommy Lee Jones puts together a sniper rifle in The Package (1989).

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Gripweed posted:

I need a complete list of every movie featuring a scene where someone smuggles a gun somewhere in pieces and then assembles it
Something like it in Hugh Laurie's novel The Gun Seller - not a movie obviously, but I recall mixups of that nature happening in these ID threads before. :)

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I can’t remember off the top of my head now, but they made 2 Hitman movies they must do it there

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Gripweed posted:

Did they do that in Con Air, or am I thinking of a different prison break on an airplane?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Something like it in Hugh Laurie's novel The Gun Seller - not a movie obviously, but I recall mixups of that nature happening in these ID threads before. :)

poo poo that was a good book.

Hugh Laurie is one of those dudes who does like 15 different things better than I can do anything and it’s just demoralizing how he seems to act like that’s normal. “Doot doo doo, just being a great actor and comedian…. Guess I’ll direct some stuff too, write a cute little spy thriller, make some jazz albums, date Emma Thompson…”

If I found out he’s fluent in Classical Arabic and just translated some new work of impressive scholarship, I’d just go along with that too.

Bastard.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Cat Hatter posted:

Did they do that in Con Air, or am I thinking of a different prison break on an airplane?

Could be thinking of In the Line of Fire where Malkovich assembled his plastic gun

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Medullah posted:

Could be thinking of In the Line of Fire where Malkovich assembled his plastic gun

That's a good guess since it also has Malkovich, but pretty sure I was thinking of US Marshals. It's the only scene I've seen in that movie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja_b7d2kzac

filmcynic
Oct 30, 2012

Gripweed posted:

This is pretty much the entire plot of The American.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Edit: drat You!. :mad: ^^^

Disappointingly done in the otherwise good movie Constantine. It goes from a nice and sometimes inventive supernatural noir to a Matrix scene just because they cast Keanu. Phenomenal ending though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0_zESkLNws

The American it's about constructing a gun in the vein of the previously mentioned Day if the Jackal and is really quite good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cviQy1XV3c

There must be an infinite number of sniper rifle assembly and pistol deconstruction and reassembly scenes.

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 30, 2022

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Gripweed posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VL-NFtX6Wkc

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Gripweed posted:

Tangential because he doesn't smuggle it but Clive Owen disassembles and reassembles at least one gun in Shoot 'Em Up

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Just to be clear, I'm specifically only talking about scenes where the gun was disassembled in the first place for the purpose of deception. That part is very important.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Alien Resurrection also has a scene like this.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The Stallone Judge Dredd has a scene where Rico does this.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Day of the Jackal mentions reminds me.

Probably not what OP has in mind but you may recognize the ridonkulous remote controlled turret from The Jackal (1997)

thing is he doesn't assemble the weapon itself in secret, he stashes it in a van trunk. He does however, assemble the control system for it from his seat for the First Lady while dressed like a cop

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Does on the train in the first Mission Impossible movie count?

I think that hapens? Using the stereo? Might be misremembering though.

Now with gun assembly, the best one is the one OJ uses in one of the naked gun movies :xd:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

filmcynic posted:

w/r/t the gun assembling list, Tommy Lee Jones puts together a sniper rifle in The Package (1989).

Surely this is a signature Lambert move as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FswhQmILLU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Custard Undies posted:

Does on the train in the first Mission Impossible movie count?

I think that hapens? Using the stereo? Might be misremembering though.
Yeah, Phelps builds a derringer from bits of a stereo.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I AM GRANDO posted:

Surely this is a signature Lambert move as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FswhQmILLU

:stonklol:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Gripweed posted:

99.5% of all roof top sniper films.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gripweed posted:

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

filmcynic posted:

Well, technically it's not Lambert's signature move because as was mentioned (and I missed) he wasn't part of the scene in The Hunted. However, John Wardlow was stunt coordinator on both The Hunted and the Highlander TV series in which Lambert appeared in the pilot. It's not impossible that Lambert learned it from him, and they used it in Endgame because Lambert's already atrocious eyesight was getting worse and it was safest to use a routine he already knew.

On a tangentially related note: if Lambert could be said to have a signature move it's the figure-eight twirl. But again that's not really his move. It was the signature flourish of legendary swordmaster Bob Anderson, a former Olympic fencer whose career spanned 50 years from coaching Errol Flynn on The Master of Ballantrae to training all the principal cast of Lord of the Rings (apart from Christopher Lee of course). He also performed Darth Vader's fight scenes in The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Timby posted:

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country.

Also Heart of Glory from season 1 of Next Generation.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Cat Hatter posted:

Also Heart of Glory from season 1 of Next Generation.

This randomly reminds me of something.... Did TNG ever have them go back in history to something that hadn't happened in or before 20th century Earth history? The show takes place in, what, the 2200's? They're exploring the universe, and yet, time after time, there's a holodeck outing involving history that happened on earth, centuries before Jean Luc was born.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This randomly reminds me of something.... Did TNG ever have them go back in history to something that hadn't happened in or before 20th century Earth history? The show takes place in, what, the 2200's? They're exploring the universe, and yet, time after time, there's a holodeck outing involving history that happened on earth, centuries before Jean Luc was born.

In the series they go back in time to 1800s San Francisco because Data's head was found there due to misadventure.

In First Contact they have to go back to when Earth first developed warp technology to prevent the Borg from taking over. That's 21XX IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

CzarChasm posted:

In the series they go back in time to 1800s San Francisco because Data's head was found there due to misadventure.

In First Contact they have to go back to when Earth first developed warp technology to prevent the Borg from taking over. That's 21XX IIRC.

The First Contact plot I definitely appreciated because of that, thanks for reminding me.

The first example is just more of what I was talking about, though. I mean, I get it; ST TNG is a show created and broadcast on Earth in the late 20th century.