Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

post hole digger posted:

jeeves, throw a chair at that man

coincidentally, I heard about a place in scottsdale that would absolutely fit that bill

joke is it's named "pitch"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

LanceHunter posted:

I can't believe that you personally visited the offices of the Washington State Department of Revenue and refused to leave until they agreed to follow you back to your office and arrest the person who did the tax evasion. That's hosed up.

lmao

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Luigi Thirty posted:

glass and aluminum recycling are totally worth it, since you just melt them down and cast them back into whatever you need without losing any of their physical attributes

aluminum production from bauxite still takes shitloads of energy so it’s a massive reduction in carbon output to just melt cans back down and form new cans

plastic recycling is bullshit. electronic recycling is bullshit.
Guess which material doesn't get recyclable bins here? lol.

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

paying taxes is cool & good
Sales/VAT are regressive so I do my best to evade paying those :colbert:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

The Ballad Of Greta And Andrew, in D Minor
https://twitter.com/dril/status/1608882852300738560

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

folks seem to forget that recycle is the last resort after reduce and reuse

people at my apartment in san jose would just throw their trash bags on the ground in the trash room instead of putting them in the chute. these were mostly grown-rear end tech workers and their families with young kids, not teenagers mad at chores or drunk college students. it was funny and also very gross

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

we just need to force the use of reusable takeout/grocery containers at gunpoint.

take your reusable pizza box made of polypropylene to the pizza shop to pick up your pizza.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

LanceHunter posted:

I can't believe that you personally visited the offices of the Washington State Department of Revenue and refused to leave until they agreed to follow you back to your office and arrest the person who did the tax evasion. That's hosed up.
I told you that in confidence :cry:

Eeyo posted:

we just need to force the use of reusable takeout/grocery containers at gunpoint.

take your reusable pizza box made of polypropylene to the pizza shop to pick up your pizza.
france recently passed a law banning single-use containers for eat-in customers (which mostly affects fast food), which feels like a start, but it's going to be like pulling teeth to get more laws like that passed since that's at best a good start

mystes
May 31, 2006

Eeyo posted:

This would require people to be willing to make a fairly massive effort to adjust to so you would need to have pretty widespread support to it which will never happen in the us

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
someone posted the new reusable containers they use at mcdonalds in france and i'm jealous, they're well designed lol

e:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Nitrousoxide posted:

Aren't batteries worth it for the rare earth minerals that can be reused in new batteries?
I dunno what can be recycled with modern alkaline batteries- originally you had to dispose of them separately because they had heavy metals in them but I'm pretty sure those were phased out years ago.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Most liberal cities in the US seem to have banned single-use plastic shopping bags at around the time when COVID broke out and it seems to work well enough so far. I usually carry a few cloth shopping bags around with me.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Achmed Jones posted:

folks seem to forget that recycle is the last resort after reduce and reuse

people at my apartment in san jose would just throw their trash bags on the ground in the trash room instead of putting them in the chute. these were mostly grown-rear end tech workers and their families with young kids, not teenagers mad at chores or drunk college students. it was funny and also very gross

I used to live in a place with a spa and often used the sauna at like 5am. The things people were willing to leave in a shared space were wild. Just “I’d be embarrassed for the hotel housekeeper to see this” levels of stuff on the regular.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

im terminally forgetful so i appreciate the places that still have plastic bags lol

i have a huge collection of cloth “ah gently caress, forgot my reusable bags at home, guess I’ll buy more” bags that hardly ever get used now because i keep forgetting them at home. happens several times a month. I usually just bring them to people’s houses when I’m bringing other poo poo like drinks or whatever, and then just leave them there

yes i am aware the smart thing would be to just leave some in my car at all times

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 30, 2022

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

what really needs to happen is forcing companies to stop shipping billions of tonnes of useless plastic tat half way round the world just so it can get thrown straight into landfill.

the world is not being made better by container ships full of plastic and glitter

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
most places here will throw one in for free. target just has a whole pile of cloth bags to take

as a result i have about a billion target cloth bags

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I want my food hand delivered

the delivery driver handing it over in scarred burned claws where his hands once moved

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sweevo posted:

what really needs to happen is forcing companies to stop shipping billions of tonnes of useless plastic tat half way round the world just so it can get thrown straight into landfill.

the world is not being made better by container ships full of pink plastic and glitter
yeah people need to get over buying a dozen pounds of forever trash for a single event

I remember some tv documentary about the city in china where like 3/4 of the world's holiday decorations come from, it was super depressing

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

polyester concept posted:

yes i am aware the smart thing would be to just leave some in my car at all times

yeah but then you bring the full bags into the house and then they stay there because you forgot to put them back in the car and you're right back where you started

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I got the smallest baggu bag and it folds down so tiny it's easy to just grab on on my way out the door and shove it in my pocket

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

Fabricated posted:

I dunno what can be recycled with modern alkaline batteries- originally you had to dispose of them separately because they had heavy metals in them but I'm pretty sure those were phased out years ago.

I still don't know how to properly dispose of alkaline batteries, and my local WM office refused to tell me how to either.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Tesseraction posted:

the delivery driver handing it over in scarred burned claws where his hands once moved
I want them to feed it to me like I'm a baby bird

lifetime supply of Pocky posted:

I still don't know how to properly dispose of alkaline batteries, and my local WM office refused to tell me how to either.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Elder Postsman posted:

yeah but then you bring the full bags into the house and then they stay there because you forgot to put them back in the car and you're right back where you started

lol yes ive already gone down this road

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

polyester concept posted:

lol yes ive already gone down this road

you can also just get in the habit of carrying a messenger bag or something, i got a lot of poo poo for it at first for "murse" and "man bag" but whatever, i can carry a water bottle and if i'm buying small stuff it just goes in there. big grocery resupply runs need the four reusable bags still but they live in the car.

you can also get one of the shoplifter's delight coats that has a bunch of pockets, i've had one or another of the scott e vest jackets and you can load a bunch of stuff in there, up to a laptop computer in some of the pockets.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

one of my colleagues wasn't doing his recycling properly and the local council went through his rubbish and gave him a huge fine.

lol

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

in my parents neighborhood they do random spot checks of your curbside recycle bins and give you a smiley face sticker if you do a good job lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
the trash chute here is like something out of star wars because it goes like 40 floors down lol

when you open it up its a stinky wind tunnel

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

dsyp

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Tesseraction posted:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

but high end pizza place? that's like saying classy waffle house.

village inn is the classy waffle house

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

You throw them away. Alkalines are not worth recycling and aren't hazardous.

I am a tiny bit curious what's up with the cheap no-brand alkalines I see included with kids toys now, which say "Pb" and have icons not to throw them away on them. What the gently caress could be in those? There's no small cell primary chemistry where lead would be useful at all.

Lead acid batteries are probably the single biggest recycling success story in general. Very high recycling rate, and also the lead in them gets re-used.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Same idea applies. Hermit crabs make a habitat out of them.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Elysiume posted:

I want them to feed it to me like I'm a baby bird

lol i still have that pdf saved somewhere

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/1608913459164450817

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

You throw them away. Alkalines are not worth recycling and aren't hazardous.

I am a tiny bit curious what's up with the cheap no-brand alkalines I see included with kids toys now, which say "Pb" and have icons not to throw them away on them. What the gently caress could be in those? There's no small cell primary chemistry where lead would be useful at all.

Lead acid batteries are probably the single biggest recycling success story in general. Very high recycling rate, and also the lead in them gets re-used.

cuz they have a deposit that's an actually-valuable amount of money and not like, a nickel

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

someone gifted me a subscription to Ridwell, which promises that it can recycle a bunch of that poo poo that doesn’t count…the entire service stinks of tech scam though and I bet they’re not doing any of the shot they promise. Now I’ve got a dumb box outside my house for the next three months and an additional bin. :capitalism:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
My local government trash has a page where it says what to do with all kinds of batteries. They also spell it "nickle" which cracks me up

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

BO News

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

El Mero Mero posted:

someone gifted me a subscription to Ridwell, which promises that it can recycle a bunch of that poo poo that doesn’t count…the entire service stinks of tech scam though and I bet they’re not doing any of the shot they promise. Now I’ve got a dumb box outside my house for the next three months and an additional bin. :capitalism:

Wish-cycling as a Service.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lol the chud pundit machine was already saying he was out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i put all my trash in a big pile with everyone else's and we cover it with dirt and then it stays there forever as a form of carbon capture, that's how i'm Going Green