Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Rythian posted:

Baldur's Gate has so many memorable lines. The voice acting was really good for it's time.

These walls contain the woooOooorld's knowledge.

Wisdom is euhnly possessed by the learned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

So I kicked him in the head till he was dead!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

What's up thread, Playing Planescape for the first time. Just got to the Clerks Ward and got Skullman back, Wondering if the combat is ever going to become challenging enough that I need to pay attention to builds and stats. To be clear, I don't mind if it doesn't, the plot and characters are strong enough to support my play. I just don't want to gently caress myself over in a dungeon because I didn't know I was going to have to actually learn what my people do.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Gaius Marius posted:

What's up thread, Playing Planescape for the first time. Just got to the Clerks Ward and got Skullman back, Wondering if the combat is ever going to become challenging enough that I need to pay attention to builds and stats. To be clear, I don't mind if it doesn't, the plot and characters are strong enough to support my play. I just don't want to gently caress myself over in a dungeon because I didn't know I was going to have to actually learn what my people do.

Eh it'll be fine, especially if you're a mage, which is what the game rewards you the most for narratively to the point that I wonder why they bothered pretending the other classes mattered

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
I've had trouble on my first playthrough for not having enough HP and getting repeatedly one-shot.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Rythian posted:

Baldur's Gate has so many memorable lines. The voice acting was really good for it's time.

"So hard to find... DECENT folk nowadays..."
"STOP TOUCHING MEEEEE!"
"Heh! Time for a little bit of a rough and tumble!"
"Muttmongering riff-raff..."
"Ye already be disturbed, now leave me be! Yer company be toil enough as is..."
"We're all doooomed!"
"'Elminster this, Elminster that. Give *me* 2000 years and a pointy hat and I will kick his arse!"

Not to mention all of Minsc's quotes, or Irenicus in BG2. Feel like I could keep listing tons of them.

My 'otel's as clean as an elven arse!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I beat it as a fighter, still maxed out wisdom, and did dip into mage for the circles of Zerthimon stuff with Dak'kon, but there's something satisfying about beating people to death first with your own severed arm and later with a giant hammer named "Reason" as in "Surely they'll listen to 'Reason'"

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013

Suspicious posted:

I've had trouble on my first playthrough for not having enough HP and getting repeatedly one-shot.

If I recall The Nameless One is set to always gain 1d10 HP if the class you're leveling in is his highest, so even as a mage you've got Fighter levels of HP so long as you stick with it.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005

IthilionTheBrave posted:

If I recall The Nameless One is set to always gain 1d10 HP if the class you're leveling in is his highest, so even as a mage you've got Fighter levels of HP so long as you stick with it.

That's what the DSimpson FAQ says but I only ever got 1D4 from a mage level up. I had to cheat to get past.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You need A Build to get past some of the forced encounters beside things you talk to death. But the bar for A Build is very low and often crossed by just finishing loyalty conversations or quests of the companions let alone what sort of absurd bundle of stats and gear you managed to force into TNO

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I enjoy picking up Xan just to hear him say "Life... is SO hollow..." when I click on him.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I finally, finally got around to finishing SoD, and it was fine.
I appreciate that they went with a more linear kind of adventure, although that does make some of the back-and-forth trudging quite tedious. Some of the quests also seem really finicky, which lead to lots of save/load-ing, and there were a couple that I just flat-out couldn't get a resolution for.

I wasn't a fan of the large fights, because each one just shows up the limitations of the pathfinding, which I swear to god was better when BG2 came out. Also, the number of spellcasters on each side just means you have spell effects flying around everywhere and it's borderline impossible to work out what's being cast and then oops one of your characters gets taken out of the fight. There's also a bit more of a focus on status effects generally in fights and it's hard to know what you're going to come up against without a save/reload. I know some people love that poo poo, but when most Cleric spells take a while to pre-buff with and then last about 10 seconds it gets tedious without just spamming Wand of Paralysis every fight.

That said, I liked some of the setpieces and the narrative as a whole, even if the ending felt pretty contrived. The environments were cool, too.

Will I play through it again? Yeah, probably, as part of a Trilogy run, but eh.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
The Tweaks anthology installer from gibberlings3 is flagged as infected by 3 vendors when scanned with Virustotal. I know it's almost certainly a false positive but can someone vouch that it's actually safe? Or better yet, can I install manually without using the exe? If you change the file extension to zip you can see the files inside but I haven't figured out what each of them does or where they should go.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I've run it as recently as last month.

Unzip the cdtweaks installer exe file inside your BG folder, don't run it. This will give you an install folder and a setup-cdtweaks.exe file. If you're uncomfortable running that exe, just take any other WeiDU setup-foo.exe file and rename it to what this one was called, which I think is setup-cdtweaks.exe.

All of the setup-*.exe files are the same WeiDU executable. They look at their name to decide which folder to look at for install instructions.

They'll even check if a newer exe is present and switch to running that if they find a newer one, which I think is very cool. So if a mod that hasn't been updated in a long while is using an older WeiDU executable as setup-A.exe and you have a newer setup-B.exe in the same folder, then when you run setup-A, it'll notice and run setup-B instead but ask it to use the A folder for instructions and mod files - if that's any clearer. The logs will show this in action better than my :words:

v1ld fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 28, 2022

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Tried a few other setup files from different places and they're all flagged as infected by at least someone. I guess there's something inherent in how it works that confuses anti-virus software.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I just scanned my BG2 folder with F-secure and it found nothing evil. I have around 10 weidu installer exes in there. :shrug:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Senjuro posted:

The Tweaks anthology installer from gibberlings3 is flagged as infected by 3 vendors when scanned with Virustotal. I know it's almost certainly a false positive but can someone vouch that it's actually safe? Or better yet, can I install manually without using the exe? If you change the file extension to zip you can see the files inside but I haven't figured out what each of them does or where they should go.

Unless the installer does something special, the files need to go in your override directory and the .exe in your parent directory. I'd be surprised if it was anything malicious but who knows.

Project Infinity always pings malicious software detectors too. I've never had issues with that.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Some of those installers, including the CD Tweaks one, do quite a bit of processing on the game's existing files and generate new files that then go into override. So just copying files from the mod to override may not work, depending on the mod.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bike tory posted:

Unless the installer does something special, the files need to go in your override directory and the .exe in your parent directory. I'd be surprised if it was anything malicious but who knows.

Tweaks anthology has a crap ton of options, many of which are mutually exclusive, and auto detects which game you're looking for options on out of every single infinity engine game, both original or EE version. Dropping files into the override folder without knowing what you're doing will probably cause problems.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

v1ld posted:

Some of those installers, including the CD Tweaks one, do quite a bit of processing on the game's existing files and generate new files that then go into override. So just copying files from the mod to override may not work, depending on the mod.

Isnt that stuff is done by the weidu installer though, not the package that you download from G3? As I understand it, OP's getting a virus detection off the thing you download.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

bike tory posted:

Isnt that stuff is done by the weidu installer though, not the package that you download from G3? As I understand it, OP's getting a virus detection off the thing you download.
I'm getting it from both actually. The cdtweaks-v16.exe you initially download and setup-cdtweaks.exe which is found inside.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

It's probably fine. It just so happens that activating a program that auto extracts an executable that can modify files looks almost exactly like a virus to some anti-virus softwares.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Mr. Lobe posted:

Eh it'll be fine, especially if you're a mage, which is what the game rewards you the most for narratively to the point that I wonder why they bothered pretending the other classes mattered

Nice, I switched to mage as soon as I found the old woman. Time to continue to run past every mob and just lob all my spells at the big dudes.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Finished Siege of Dragonspear and started BG2. I was kind of getting into at the end. The fight before final boss was real mean because when I triggered it the first time I wasn't aware there would be quite so many panic effects and I hadn't put Remove Fear up. Once I'd potioned up and made sure no one could be panicked or held everything was smooth sailing. I actually like how they gave you an playable denouement instead of just "boss dead, credits."

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

kingturnip posted:

I wasn't a fan of the large fights, because each one just shows up the limitations of the pathfinding, which I swear to god was better when BG2 came out.

There's a file in your documents folder\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition (2 or trilogy or whatever) called baldur.lua in which there's a line that says SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Path Search Nodes','32000') (I think it's 32000 in vanilla). Increase that and pathing should be improved. I set mine to 96000 and while pathing still isn't great, it's a lot less crap.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think EE implemented a new algorithm which maybe benefits from more nodes but I've always had keeping nodes to 16k-32k in vanilla. I've yet to actually play an EE yet to compare before and after if I'm not mistaken about one of Beamdogs big ticket under the hood modifications.

My vanilla experience is more nodes is more likely to start and keep moving but everyone may take really insane, long, or wending paths as the pathfinding steps on each other's toes and the tyranny of the traveling sales man sets in. Less nodes, maybe they stop moving immediately but I find that a good thing as you can just click again and you're more likely to get a good path.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

I'd say that you'll reach a point in the story where you will have to leave Sigil for a long while, I guess it shouldn't be too hard to figure out when that happens. That's the part where the game will start to get pretty combat heavy, and it can be very rough if you aren't prepared. So I say at that point make sure you do whatever you can for your companions and get kitted out as best you can. Or else run away a lot I guess.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

zedprime posted:

I think EE implemented a new algorithm which maybe benefits from more nodes but I've always had keeping nodes to 16k-32k in vanilla. I've yet to actually play an EE yet to compare before and after if I'm not mistaken about one of Beamdogs big ticket under the hood modifications.

My vanilla experience is more nodes is more likely to start and keep moving but everyone may take really insane, long, or wending paths as the pathfinding steps on each other's toes and the tyranny of the traveling sales man sets in. Less nodes, maybe they stop moving immediately but I find that a good thing as you can just click again and you're more likely to get a good path.

I haven't tried changing the nodes, but when in doubt, setting a new destination tends to clear up pathfinding issues. Still pretty frustrating in enclosed spaces like Firewine, where I find myself clicking more or less every few seconds to get people to take a sensible path and not wander off from the group. Gather your party, indeed.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I always get overwhelmed when I first get to Baldur's Gate city in BG1 because there's so much to do and every screen has someone coming up to you with a quest.

It also makes me want to start over if I'm anything other than a thief because I love thieves' guilds but dang it, I want to get this Dragon Disciple through the story this time. My startoveritis is always so bad with this game.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Big quest hubs in any game demotivate me a little when first encountered, because you usually have to go around clicking on everyone. Most times if I put a game down even if I've had fun is because I've left an area that I had thoroughly combed and have now started a new area/act that needs starting from scratch.

Beregost is a nice size as quest hubs go.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I just endured the beginning of BG2, during which I acquired my party rapidly and then had to juggle them all asking for their personal quests to be completed on top of the ‘new area quest spam’, which seemed much worse.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

v1ld posted:

Big quest hubs in any game demotivate me a little when first encountered, because you usually have to go around clicking on everyone. Most times if I put a game down even if I've had fun is because I've left an area that I had thoroughly combed and have now started a new area/act that needs starting from scratch.

Beregost is a nice size as quest hubs go.

BG city is even worse because a part of me wants to rob every house but I've since given up on that as all that effort only needs to a little extra gold and potions. Not really worth the time.

I do always rob Entar's estate though because there's some nice stuff there.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think BG2 got it right for reasons I can't explain. BG, and even Pillars of Eternity and POE2 exhaust me by making the city combing a whole event after other map traversal and the Pathfinder games kind of wrap around to awful despite smaller quest hubs because it's just pure transactional talk-to-named-npc-for-things-to-do

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Torquemada posted:

I just endured the beginning of BG2, during which I acquired my party rapidly and then had to juggle them all asking for their personal quests to be completed on top of the ‘new area quest spam’, which seemed much worse.

I almost quit BG2 when this happened. It won't seem as bad if I ever replay it because I'll know it ends but the pacing is very very bad in the first five or so hours.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Jack B Nimble posted:

I almost quit BG2 when this happened. It won't seem as bad if I ever replay it because I'll know it ends but the pacing is very very bad in the first five or so hours.

oh drat. I always knew that in my gut but I never have seen this articulated before.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I was encouraged to use the tweak pack before starting BG2, and I am enjoying it fine--loving it, in fact-- but part of it has the option of speeding up romance conversations. I was like "okay, if these can drag maybe, I guess setting them to take 50% of the time they did before should be fine."

This was a mistake. Aerie and Jaheira are spouting off back to back and sometimes their next line will fire before I have left the map or store we were just talking in. I am frankly blown away by how many lines they gave these characters in this game, especially coming from BG1 and SoD, but more than that I am overwhelmed because I set them to go off too often like a fool!

(And holy poo poo the jealousy convos between Jaheira and Aerie are borderline stressful, especially firing that often.) When Aerie went after Khalid to hurt Jaheira I was like "Jesus Christ" and slammed the bottom option to tell her off, but that led to her abandoning me in the lair of a red dragon so time to reload and play it a little nicer, I guess!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

wizard2 posted:

oh drat. I always knew that in my gut but I never have seen this articulated before.

Yeah. "Jesus Christ give me a minute to catch my breath and think, please!" was definitely a thought I had coming into this for the first time this week. My quest log is already choked and I keep stumbling into time sensitive quests!?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Jack B Nimble posted:

BG2 definitely could have done with a rotating 'guest' character slot.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Not all quests are timed, and those that are usually have very forgiving time limits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

JustJeff88 posted:

BG2 definitely could have done with a rotating 'guest' character slot.

That's exactly what the #6 slot is for. Rotate people through in chapter 2/3, stick Yoshimo in for spellhold, then Imoen until you're back on the surface, then you can rotate anyone else you need through again.