Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Twelve by Pies posted:

It doesn't help that the javelin seems just a tiny bit too long to do the throw pose properly.

Clip the end off. Gunpla is freedom!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

mllaneza posted:

I started the RG God Gundam today. I finished both of the 2x parts and the right leg.

Goddamn this kit is a lot of work, but drat if the engineering isn't beautiful. If it holds up to posing, my RG Rx-78-2 is going in the trash, because gently caress that piece of shite.

The RG God is amazingly posable, it absolutely rules.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The trick to good posing is imagining that the Gundam is a guy, and thinking about how the legs would be if a guy was doing the thing you want your Gundam to be doing. There aren't a lot of poses where the legs are going to be straight next to each other. Grab a couple sticks and imagine you're about to dual wield swords on someone. Are your knees bent? Is your weight on your front leg or your back leg?

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Gripweed posted:

The trick to good posing is imagining that the Gundam is a guy, and thinking about how the legs would be if a guy was doing the thing you want your Gundam to be doing. There aren't a lot of poses where the legs are going to be straight next to each other. Grab a couple sticks and imagine you're about to dual wield swords on someone. Are your knees bent? Is your weight on your front leg or your back leg?

This. Google is great for it, just type in what you want it to be doing then try and pose it like the person doing said action.

Does not work for all kits.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nerobro posted:

... and I finished RG MK II on the flight.

Bold. I always drop at least one piece when I'm building and there's no way I'd recover it in an airplane.

Also what tools were you using to desprue that they'd let into the airport? Files and sanding sticks sure no problem; were you using the Mr. Easy Nipper or Micro Mark despruing tweezers, or something else? The pigs seem to really have a hate on for anything that looks like pliers or side cutters in my experience.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

boz posted:

This. Google is great for it, just type in what you want it to be doing then try and pose it like the person doing said action.

Does not work for all kits.

Yeah, EG kits have some poseability but...it's pretty limited.

Anyway second build finished!

This one was more difficult than the first, I already mentioned a lot of small parts. You can also see it has a very noticeable lean to the right. Maybe legs are throwing me off, maybe these kits are just kinda like that. It sorta feels like the one leg is slightly shorter than the other which is causing the problem, especially since no matter how I manipulate the legs I can't fix it. This one also ended up looking a tad bit rougher than the first. My camera is kinda bad quality but you can definitely see it on the bottom right and top left of the gray shoulder pad, the little nubs from breaking the pieces off the runners. This is an EG kit so I'm not super concerned about it looking great, I'm not going to break it down and do any filing or anything, but it's there.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Midjack posted:

Bold. I always drop at least one piece when I'm building and there's no way I'd recover it in an airplane.

Also what tools were you using to desprue that they'd let into the airport? Files and sanding sticks sure no problem; were you using the Mr. Easy Nipper or Micro Mark despruing tweezers, or something else? The pigs seem to really have a hate on for anything that looks like pliers or side cutters in my experience.

Stedi MS-100 side nippers. They're less than 9" and are kosher. So are x-acto and matt knives. I use a NT blade matt knife. I keep them in a little toolbox with the sanding sticks, screwdrivers, and tweezers. I don't do sanding "in" places.

I've never been questioned about the hobby tools. But I have been stopped for a set of allen wrenches, screwdriver tips, and boxes of magic cards. Evidently blocks of cardboard look a lot like go-boom materials.

I spent most of the flight with the knife out picking and placing decals. I made sure the guy next to me didn't have a problem with me by showing him an open bag of Ghirideli chocolates. "Oh my god, yes!"

I mean, I have the "Clean, polite, fat white guy" modifier on people picking me out for being trouble. Just being compliant and quiet seems to get me through things? Though, to be clear, F the TSA.

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Dec 30, 2022

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Twelve by Pies posted:

This one was more difficult than the first, I already mentioned a lot of small parts. You can also see it has a very noticeable lean to the right. Maybe legs are throwing me off, maybe these kits are just kinda like that. It sorta feels like the one leg is slightly shorter than the other which is causing the problem, especially since no matter how I manipulate the legs I can't fix it. This one also ended up looking a tad bit rougher than the first. My camera is kinda bad quality but you can definitely see it on the bottom right and top left of the gray shoulder pad, the little nubs from breaking the pieces off the runners. This is an EG kit so I'm not super concerned about it looking great, I'm not going to break it down and do any filing or anything, but it's there.

That's a thin boy, feed him a sandwich

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Someone in the discord showed me the "how to pose your model so it doesn't look as bad" guide so my pictures should be better from now on at least. Not necessarily good, but better. :v:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Ibblebibble posted:

The RG God is amazingly posable, it absolutely rules.

Left leg and waist section were finished today. This is an excellent kit. My last RG, the RX-78-2 is likely to end up in the trash, attempts to pose it resulted in a partial disassembly.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

If all else fails, the box and manual will have good poses for you to try

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010
I ended up with an HG Barbatos and the MG Grandpa 1.5 as Christmas gifts, which have been appreciated since I've been bedridden for a bit. Haven't started the RX-78-2 yet, anything I should know about it before starting?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Televisio Frankus posted:

Haven't started the RX-78-2 yet, anything I should know about it before starting?

Don't. Not if it's the RG anyway. Harder to build than it had to be and like to fall apart while posing it. I had to glue multiple pieces on mine, and it still sheds parts when handled.

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010

mllaneza posted:

Don't. Not if it's the RG anyway. Harder to build than it had to be and like to fall apart while posing it. I had to glue multiple pieces on mine, and it still sheds parts when handled.

It's the MG 1.5, which I know little about.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

This Strike Gundam is a giant step in difficulty from the RX-78-2. Lots of small parts. It's difficult for my sausage fingers to deal with them.

Also the Gundam Seed flavored corn snacks taste extremely like corn.

On another note I realized I didn't post any pictures of my very first build here so I will post a couple. My greatest flaw in life is that I am incredibly uncreative, and as such I'm bad at poses.

Plus I'm limited in that I don't have the action base or whatever it's called.

It doesn't help that the javelin seems just a tiny bit too long to do the throw pose properly.

Are you using a filter, your photo's look weird?

Anyways for posing consider how the human body works, and the weight of the instrument's it carries. For the second picture you have the RX78 throwing a javelin. Consider that one would not hold a javelin by the very end, but rather somewhere along the middle, that the legs should be set apart to gain more stability and the feet pushed onto different directions, the second arm should be set forward to balance the weight of the dominant arm holding the lance.

Real Javelin throwing takes a running start, something the Gundam is likely not to participate in, so mentally reduce it to a stop and adjust the physics for that but keep the principals of throwing into the posing.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Televisio Frankus posted:

It's the MG 1.5, which I know little about.

The 1.5 is pretty old. Old enough that it's before MGs had a full internal frame, not built one that old myself.

Looking at Dalong, the only part that has a frame, is the legs. Which surprisingly, looks to be like an early RG style articulated part moulded in one piece on the runner.

But yeah, it's old. It's probably going to be pretty simple and janky compared to newer MGs

http://dalong.net/reviews/mg/m28/m28_p.htm

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
I built my 1.5 a few weeks ago. Because HEY CHRAP (I tried to type cheap, but my brain was thinking crap.. and I'm not correcting that.) MG lets build it! I don't need to care about it.

................ SO, it's better than my GP01. Because they used more pigment in the plastic. My GP01 is darned near milky versus ~white~ and you can almost see through it. The MG RX-78-2 1.5 is.. uh.. not really a lot better. It needed less paint. It doesn't have much to panel line. It has no waist bend. The shoulders are just a pivot on a peg. The elbows are single joints, instead of double bend. The legs have ~some~ better flexibility.

I bought it as the gundam I can hand to my kids and not cry. And hand to people and ~just not care~ if they screw it up.

It's a very bad example of a Master Grade. It's just a big early high grade. A HGGTO model is better in every way.

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010

Veotax posted:

The 1.5 is pretty old. Old enough that it's before MGs had a full internal frame, not built one that old myself.

Looking at Dalong, the only part that has a frame, is the legs. Which surprisingly, looks to be like an early RG style articulated part moulded in one piece on the runner.

But yeah, it's old. It's probably going to be pretty simple and janky compared to newer MGs

http://dalong.net/reviews/mg/m28/m28_p.htm

Ah, yeah, it might be simpler than say, the MG Heavyarms that I put together a few months ago. Still going to put it together and hopefully be able to use the Core Lander.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Doing an RG gunpla on a plane is the most Big Dick Energy (Nerd Category) thing I have ever heard and I would laugh my balls off if I saw it personally. That's like playing Jenga on the seat back tray.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
You just know some tiny part is gonna go flying when you clip it out and bounce four seat rows away.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

How the gently caress are you gonna get a pair of nippers on a plane

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Waffleman_ posted:

What are nippers? Just twist the part until it comes off the sprue.

I should really avoid this kind of sarcasm or people won't take me seriously when I say I had no trouble with my RG Grandpa or my MG Zaku pipes.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Waffleman_ posted:

disassembled, each piece concealed in something unassuming or hidden in plain sight.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I now added a set of cheap generic nano glass files, a basic nail buffer and some transparant nail polish to my build tools. Tested it on my 30mm's and fixed a few things on my Reincar. This makes all the difference. I now feel like I can build my 1/144 Stein(narrative ver) and make it the prettiest princess.

Next step: action bases, Tamiya panel liner/enamel thinner and Bandai panel liner pens.

Does anyone know what those little paint assisters are called; they're like these small heavy blocks that have bendable metal arms and grabby hands stick out so its easy to have them hold your stuff for you.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Mindblast posted:

I now added a set of cheap generic nano glass files, a basic nail buffer and some transparant nail polish to my build tools. Tested it on my 30mm's and fixed a few things on my Reincar. This makes all the difference. I now feel like I can build my 1/144 Stein(narrative ver) and make it the prettiest princess.

Next step: action bases, Tamiya panel liner/enamel thinner and Bandai panel liner pens.

Does anyone know what those little paint assisters are called; they're like these small heavy blocks that have bendable metal arms and grabby hands stick out so its easy to have them hold your stuff for you.

I've seen them called a Third Hand tool

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mindblast posted:

Helping hands, third hands, etc. usually they include the word "hands". Also check electronics supply shops, they're used by people to hold parts for soldering and you can find some really nice ones.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Mindblast posted:

Others have said the names of these things, but I would suggest you get one of the pricier variety with the flexible arms and nicer magnifiers; the bottom-line sets are utter garbage for anything you'd want to use them for, to the point I had to actively search to find someone willing to take mine off my hands for free.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Sucks so bad to be told by a store "yeah we got a shipment of gunpla in" and it's like half a shelf at the back of the store, having to walk past an entire wall of Funkos to get there.

I actually want to ask about old kits and availability: Is the scarcity just due to scalpers and popularity or are some kits just not made anymore or made in limited numbers? If I see something like the Qubeley Amberil for a hundred bucks is that price stable or is it only going to increase as time goes by?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Mindblast posted:

This makes all the difference. I now feel like I can build my 1/144 Stein(narrative ver) and make it the prettiest princess.

I've heard people bash on about how the Moon Gundam is the best HG, but I legit think the Stein Narrative is the best. Even without paint it just looks so drat good out of the box.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Pierson posted:

Sucks so bad to be told by a store "yeah we got a shipment of gunpla in" and it's like half a shelf at the back of the store, having to walk past an entire wall of Funkos to get there.

I actually want to ask about old kits and availability: Is the scarcity just due to scalpers and popularity or are some kits just not made anymore or made in limited numbers? If I see something like the Qubeley Amberil for a hundred bucks is that price stable or is it only going to increase as time goes by?

Bandai reprints things periodically so if it's been a while price will go up due to scarcity until another print run happens. Some less popular things are rarely reprinted (5-6 years); popular things like HG Barbatos seem to be run every year or so. P-Bandai stuff like the Qubeley Amberil is only available for a limited time in small runs and may never be reprinted so those often fetch high prices on the secondary market.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Pierson posted:

There are hardly any kits that are never made any more. Like, a single digit number of kits have been retired last I checked. However, most older Gunpla have uncommon reprints, especially if they're not the main designs for a show, and that goes triple for P-Bandai kits like the Amberil.

Also, scalping has been on the rise since the pandemic since legitimate demand also skyrocketed. I remember when I started collecting, there were a bunch of old kits available on Amazon for under 10 bucks. Not nearly as common now.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Bandai you have one job

https://twitter.com/zeonicscans/status/1608713765369049090?s=46&t=iST1DlvFbtkSGZ1_PwrBdg

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mobile Suit Bundam

I stopped into a local gunpla shop this afternoon while on another errand just to see what they had, and loving lol at the size of HG Nightingale's box

That is a big boy

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

Twelve by Pies posted:

You might check where the different joints fit together and see if there are any connections that aren't inserted as far as they could be. Also, do the points where the legs connect to the waist allow you to rotate them outward at all? It's always strange to see the toes pointing directly forward- having the legs be a bit duck-footed makes them look more natural.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Phy posted:

Mobile Suit Bundam

I stopped into a local gunpla shop this afternoon while on another errand just to see what they had, and loving lol at the size of HG Nightingale's box

That is a big boy

You don't live south of Atlanta do you? Only ask because my local place got one of those as well

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bandai has been shipping them around the IS over the last week or so, they've appeared in several stores near me.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

When I went to the store last week they had just gotten two in. That’s when I bought the Zeong (and a bunch of other poo poo) instead.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Are you using a filter, your photo's look weird?

Nope, no filter, just a lovely camera. Unless I somehow accidentally turned on a filter on my camera somehow and never realized it.

quote:

Consider that one would not hold a javelin by the very end, but rather somewhere along the middle, that the legs should be set apart to gain more stability and the feet pushed onto different directions, the second arm should be set forward to balance the weight of the dominant arm holding the lance.

Oh I know that you don't hold a javelin by the end. That's why I said it was a bit long for the throw pose. There's a small handguard there to keep the javelin's shaft from being pushed further down the hand. Though people will probably say "Clip it off" but I'm just saying by default, that's as far down the hand as you can put the javelin.

Just Dan Again posted:

You might check where the different joints fit together and see if there are any connections that aren't inserted as far as they could be. Also, do the points where the legs connect to the waist allow you to rotate them outward at all? It's always strange to see the toes pointing directly forward- having the legs be a bit duck-footed makes them look more natural.

Everything seems to be inserted as far as it can be, though it's hard for me to tell as my left hand is currently a little messed up and has very little strength in it. But I couldn't get anything down.

The legs connect to the waist by a ball and socket, though the socket is inserted into a hole on the top of the leg which does allow you to rotate the legs. I think I just mostly have a problem trying to figure out how to manipulate the legs to look like the ones on the box art and stuff. Like, the box art has it standing kind of in a way where the leg is at a 45 degree angle to the foot? But I'm way too dumb to figure out how they did that, every attempt I've made to emulate it either results in it falling over or just leaning badly.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

my MG alex is here and lol it's still a smaller box than the HG nightingale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
I got my MG Sazabi and the box doesn't even fit in the backlog closet