Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
it's surprising to me that the history of vhs printings isn't better documented. like, what do you mean this might be from the first print of Halloween? 🤨 it doesn't say AND nobody bothered to keep track?

I'd have assumed there was an entire community of nerds dedicated specifically to such a task
one that's been around since like 1996 and has been manually maintained by one of those aged computer hippies who's like "when I was in school lasers were still theoretical, man."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

they watched nukie. end of an era :(

i have an old acquaintance who collects campy poo poo including thousands of vhs. but they are the type of person you would expect to collect worthless plastic poo poo and they would never sell them.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Capitalism is all scams.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

In college we had a several hundred vhs collection. It was fun to come home from the bars, light a hookah, open a few more beers and watch Buckaroo Bonazi or Leonard Pt 6.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Beastie posted:

In college we had a several hundred vhs collection. It was fun to come home from the bars, light a hookah, open a few more beers and watch Buckaroo Bonazi or Leonard Pt 6.

I was in college when DVDs were taking off but VHS hadn't completely gone away. On Friday night I would get the paycheck from my student work job, pay my bills, and have maybe $20 left over. I'd walk over to the Virgin Megastore and grab one or two tapes out of the $5 clearance bin that held all their remaining VHS inventory. I'd then have my entertainment for the weekend. I considered myself especially media-savvy because I was building a collection instead of just renting stuff.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
RLM 2023: New year, new thread, nukie.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
My name is John Godfather and im here to do some godfathering.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
$35k. Didn't expect that.

I thought they were going to destroy the tape at the end, to be honest. Especially with all the stuff about how stupid speculation is.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

That destruction footage at the end was spectacular. I love how Mike's eyes light up with joy when that first tape goes in.

Moby_Dick
Apr 18, 2003

You'd think I've been riding the L all my life.
Having no idea how eBay works, can the highest bidder for Nukie simply back out? Not guaranteed in any way?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Moby_Dick posted:

Having no idea how eBay works, can the highest bidder for Nukie simply back out? Not guaranteed in any way?

Sort of. Ebay can't force anyone to pay. The seller could potentially hire a lawyer to go after the winning bidder(s) if they don't pay. If the top bidder backs out, the next guy in line is up to bat but yeah. None of this stuff happens.

battlepigeon
Aug 3, 2008

macaulay culkin is the highest bidder right?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

battlepigeon posted:

macaulay culkin is the highest bidder right?

That was the first thing I thought, too. Or Justin Roiland.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I was thinking Patton.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It was a good content. Shoutouts to griping about the tax code

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
i cant believe people grade vhs tapes. rich is looking good

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Sunk Dunk posted:

i cant believe people grade vhs tapes. rich is looking good

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Waltzing Along posted:

That was the first thing I thought, too. Or Justin Roiland.

I can imagine Justin Roiland wanting to win the auction, and Dan Harmon secretly bidding against him just to keep him from winning.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Lol

Moby_Dick
Apr 18, 2003

You'd think I've been riding the L all my life.

Waltzing Along posted:

Sort of. Ebay can't force anyone to pay. The seller could potentially hire a lawyer to go after the winning bidder(s) if they don't pay. If the top bidder backs out, the next guy in line is up to bat but yeah. None of this stuff happens.

Gotcha. That makes sense. Thanks!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I've had a poo poo week and watching VHS copies of Nukie go through a woodchipper is putting a smile on my face, thanks RLM boys

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

The tape spooling out like that from the woodchipper was a pretty neat visual.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Sankara posted:

The tape spooling out like that from the woodchipper was a pretty neat visual.

I don't even think they were expecting that, I know I was just expecting chips of plastic and tape. I wish they got some high speed footage of that, looked like tape guts and intestines splattering all over the wall, sick as hell.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Coxswain Balls posted:

I don't even think they were expecting that, I know I was just expecting chips of plastic and tape. I wish they got some high speed footage of that, looked like tape guts and intestines splattering all over the wall, sick as hell.

Do that with a tape where you already prepared it in advance and colored it red, and you have yourself a rad and easy-made practical effect, yeah.

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

i am a doctor. my name is thoss.
:santahurr:IT FRIDAY AND ALMOST NEW YEAR, SO LETS WATCH CHRISTMAS poo poo EVEN THOUGH IT WAS LAST WEEK!:santahurr:

on the discord

ELVES

HE-MAN AND SHE-RA

ALF

AND A BUNCH OF OTHER poo poo!

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

A bunch of dogs and cats are gonna get warm homes and loving families thanks to RLM :) oh and something about kids with cancer too that’s nice I guess

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Do that with a tape where you already prepared it in advance and colored it red, and you have yourself a rad and easy-made practical effect, yeah.

The spool is super light though, putting color on it would make it 3-4 times heavier.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Get a woodchipper 3-4 time stronger :smug:

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Endless Trash posted:

A bunch of dogs and cats are gonna get warm homes and loving families thanks to RLM :) oh and something about kids with cancer too that’s nice I guess

They'll get their cancer in time for Xmas I'm sure

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Endless Trash posted:

Are they going to actually give the money to the Humane Society or is Jay just not going indulge his dark passenger for a few weeks

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Awesome content. I wonder how much of the world's supply of Nukie they just shredded.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Lol I was honestly expecting 28 mins of a blank screen, and I got so much more.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Jesus Christ it's just under 50,000

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

I'm sure the offer to sign it from the RLM crew is adding something to peoples desire to own this but drat some people have too much money.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

It's going to end up well over a million and then the buyer is going to no-show.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

The Good Queen Clitoris posted:

some people have too much money.

something something capitalism

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

New vid was great, kinda hope we get more stuff in that sorta documentary-adjacent format in the future. Was sad that they didn't get the fake VHS box graded, that would've been fuckin hilarious lmao

The Good Queen Clitoris posted:

I'm sure the offer to sign it from the RLM crew is adding something to peoples desire to own this but drat some people have too much money.

I'm viewing it more as people seeing an opportunity to do some good and get something funny out of it than people blowing massive amounts of cash exclusively on an obscure internet shitpost

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

reignofevil posted:

RLM 2023: New Year, New Thread, Nukie

ftfy

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Thank god there’s someone at the appraisal agency who at least does a basic imdb search, otherwise they’d be out of business a week after this video came out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Yeah once it goes over a certain number it's going to be one of those joke auctions. But OTOH it will do free advertisement on Muskter for RLM and sucker in some zoomers who haven't heard of VHS tapes. I just hope they don't come here because I don't want to talk to kids.

And then Mike has to put it on some serious auctions like Christies where rich Boomers who just lost their bids on the next Banksy will have to settle for a mint condition Nukie.