Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
Have you considered drilling a hole in the floor?

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRbrvECo/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

Do make sure you check with your agent/broker - sometimes going from $1000 to $5000 or 1% results in small reductions in premium that you will never make up. For example - me going from a $1000 to 1% deductible on my fire insurance (so, roughly tripling it?) resulted in a <$100 annual premium reduction and I can never go back to $1000 with state farm. They don't write them anymore in California.

I just went through this a few years back when I changed homeowners insurance. There was no meaningful difference in premium between $2k and $10k deductibles. My agent even said "look at it this way, you'd have to not have a loss in <something like 20+> years to make up the difference". And I think that's the right way to look at it. Just didn't make any sense.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I live in fire country, and the difference between a $5000 and a $20000 deductible was amazing. Like, from thousands to hundreds. We have the $20K in savings, and insurance rates here are high for obvious reasons.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

PainterofCrap posted:

The insurance comes in four parts:
Coverage A - the house
Coverage B- other structures that are not for habitation (garage, shed, and on some policies: your in-ground pool)
Coverage C: contents
Coverage D - Loss of Use. This is a reimburseable-only coverage (you have to spend the money first) for extraordinary expenses that you incur when your house cannot be lived in. Doesn't have to be structurally compromised: Having no power, water or heat are all grounds. Fear of mold is grounds. Most people want to stay in their home, so when they say that they can't, that's pretty much grounds

Coverage A is what it costs to rebuild the entire house and includes the basement and foundation, but not the land (unless you are in California & there's an earthquake). It is NOT the market value. Most policies write this as replacement cost value (RCV), not actual cash value (ACV) (more on that later)

B: same for however many structures you have on the property. Usually 10% of coverage A. You can elect to increase this if you rebuild or modify these appurtenant structures, or add more to your property. Also RCV.

C: best defined as your belongings, things that you would take with you when you move. Includes plugged-in appliances not permanently installed (i.e your refrigerator, but not your dishwasher). You can also increase this limit. Make sure you read the limits for certain items, such as cash, jewelry, firearms, and collectibles. As Motronic said you may want to consider scheduling Grandma's 16-carat diamond ring, or that Luger you great-uncle brought back from Sicily.

D: Keep any and all receipts for meals and lodging if you have to leave your home. This coverage will reimburse it. Many carriers also have accounts with companies that will locate a hotel or long-term housing and bill the insurer directly so you don't have to pay. Korman Suites and similar providers are popular with us since they have their own kitchens. Keep in mind the 'extraordinary' definition: these are expenses above & beyond what you would normally incur. So, If you go out to eat twice a week normally, we'll reimburse you for the other five days of meals. If you buy groceries & cook, you'd be doing that anyway so there's no incurred expense we'd pay there.

Normally this limit is the same as coverage A, although some high end policies don't have a dollar limit, they just say, "reasonable." Some have limits on how long you can stay out of the house (1-year); some are unlimited. Only once in 35-years have I come close to exhausting a limit. Once I paid for a family of four to go on a 2-week cruise because it was cheaper than local accommodations (the Dad Vail Regatta was in Philadelphia and room rates were outrageous when anything could be found). If you have an extraordinarily large family, or one with serious mobility issues, you may want to look into increasing this limit.

Sub-Coverages to watch:

Hidden mold or rot. This nifty coverage, usually limited to $5000 or $10K, will cover the cost of mold remediation should mold arise out of a covered loss (mold has been excluded for years, so this gives back some limited coverage). See if it includes hidden rot: that way, if, say, your toilet floods the house, and during the course of repair find hidden rot in the subfloor or framing under the toilet, this will pay (up to the limit) to repair that rot damage, which (like mold) is normally excluded. Not too many companies offer it, so ask if it's available. Again it's a cheap add, so get it if you can.

Code upgrade. Most policies will write this in to Coverage A as an additional coverage that is 10% of coverage A. If you are buying a house built since 1990, this limit is probably sufficient. If you are in a house built before WWII, it probably is not. Many local governments have codes about minor things like rubble & mortar foundations, foundations with no footings; asbestos; lead piping (you'd be surprised); knob & tube wiring, Federal Pacific Stab-Lok panels...amazeballs PO "There, I Did It!"s, and the kind of substandard building practices this thread revels in.

Unfortunately when you're in the middle of rebuilding you Mayfair rowhome after some tuner drove his Miata through your foundation wall into your basement, and the Philadelphia L&I folks are marvelling at the build techniques of their grandfathers and writing pages of required changes, that money will disappear right quick, and no, you can't use leftover Coverage A money for it. Sorry.

So consider bumping up your code upgrade limit if you can

Service Line Coverage and Mechanical Breakdown coverage: Not everyone offers either or both of these but ask if they do because you want these. They're cheap and will save your rear end. The former covers failures of soil lines, water mains, underground electrical runs etc. outside the home that cause covered losses. It'll cover excavation and repair or replacement of the run, usually up to $10K.

The latter covers appliances or mechanicals that fail & cause a loss (gas furnace fire: boiler puffback; icemaker or dishwasher flooding). These are handled through an agreement with Hartford Steam Boiler, who will determine if a loss is covered or not, and how much. They send me a report, I pay you, and at the end of the year, HSB reimburses us some percentage.

ACV/RCV: When you have a loss that damages 15-year-old wallpaper, or five-year-old engineered wood floor, or a room painted two years ago, or your kid's room with crayon all over the walls, or hammerstrikes to the walls or trim (or Fido has been chewing up the baseboard...really, puppers, WTF?). then the value or replacing re-papering, re-painting is diminished by age, and/or wear and tear, so we would pay what it costs to restore it and subtract for the wear. That's ACV (If you ever have a liability claim - go after someone else's policy for damage done to your property - that's all they'll ever pay: ACV).

RCV means that we agree to pay the reasonable cost to restore your property (less your deductible). The catch, so to speak, is that we'll pay ACV up front, and, once the repairs are completed, we'll pay the depreciation ("recoverable depreciation") to you once you show: a) that the repairs are completed, and b) that you actually spent all of the money, including the deductible, to do so. If it costs you less than RCV, we'll pay the difference between the ACV & what it actually costs you.

So you want RCV coverage on contents. The only way to get ACV on coverage A and B is through certain high-risk writers (like Scottsdale or Philadelphia Contributionship) or if you find a carrier that still writes an HO-1 or HO-2 or a Standard Fire Policy (SFP-1) (named-peril policies; the SFP-1 covers fire & that about it,was probably written by Ben Franklin)

Note: most companies will limit their depreciation to 50% no matter how hosed-up something is. Of course, there are exceptions coughcough Allstate, Homesite cough

A little bit on perils:

named-peril policies only cover the perils that they write in the policy.
Coverage c (contents coverage) is usually named-peril only (although, as usual there are exceptions but usually only in policies written for large risks (i.e. the wealthy) or scheduled items (which are usually broader). This leads to situations where the damage to the house or garage is covered, but the contents are not (typically exterior finish or roof leaks not caused by wind) which is fun to explain to people along with why we're covering the water damage from a roof leak but not the roof repair.

All-Risk (bad name. Really should be "Open Perils"). Essentially, the policy says it'll cover everything, then has a long list of exclusions. But then you get to Additional Coverages, where they'll limit or take away some coverages, and dollar-limit what they'll pay on others.

Typically you're getting an HO-3, or a higher-end version of the HO-3 (ours is called an "HO-3000") and these policies cover A and B as open-peril, and C as named-peril. D kicks in on any covered ,oss.

and finally: the deductible. Get the highest deductible you can afford. The lower you go, the higher your premium will climb.

SO

tl;dr:

Make sure you have sufficient limits to cover your stuff
Get the highest deductible you can afford
Get RCV for contents
See if hidden mold/rot endorsement is offered
See if Service Line and/or Mechanical Breakdown coverage is available

This is awesome-thank you!

My in-laws recommended shopping around for homeowners insurance every 2 years to make sure you’re getting the best rate. That sounds pretty intense to me.

I plan on calling GEICO to ask some of these questions but I’m not sure if it’s necessary to shop around every 2 years… I definitely want to know if increasing my deductible is worth it or not as well as ensuring I have proper riders for my guns/jewelry and make sure it’s listed as RCV.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

nwin posted:

This is awesome-thank you!

My in-laws recommended shopping around for homeowners insurance every 2 years to make sure you’re getting the best rate. That sounds pretty intense to me.

My homeowners went from $1200 on purchase to $1850 my second renewal. Got it re-quoted by 3 companies and got better coverage (old policy was wind and hail 2%, new one just $1500 deductible) for a hair under $1,400. Worth the 2 hours of work to save over $400

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I’m a big fan of using a local independent insurance agent these days. Once a year I call/email my agent and have them re-quote my auto and homeowners. I can’t stand getting quotes on my own anymore and dealing with all that. They can usually quote out a couple dozen companies and get you the best deal with the least hassle.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

USAA wouldn't insure the house we bought a couple years ago until we'd occupied it for 90 days, because it was unoccupied when we bought it. So we used a local independent agent with good reviews, switched everything over, and as a bonus got a much better rate (but not so low it was a red flag). I think it was State Farm, I don't recall.

Turns out, your insurance company doesn't communicate directly with you when you do that (or maybe it was just this company). So when your agent sends your proof of insurance to the wrong state and gets your car registrations and license suspended, and that same agent doesn't pass notices to you promptly, you don't find out about it until the notice of suspension from the state hits your physical mailbox. And if the state says it has to be your insurance company to send proof of insurance to reinstate you, but the company doesn't do anything and the agent is working from home during a pandemic and doesn't have a fax machine, it takes weeks to mail in the proof.

I have no way of assessing whether an individual agent is a complete fuckup, so I'm going to keep paying more for probably worse coverage and worse claims process so I can deal with them directly.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BonerGhost posted:

Turns out, your insurance company doesn't communicate directly with you when you do that (or maybe it was just this company).

I'm sure it was that company/that state. I have an indy agent. I've been with 4 different companies through them over the years and all of them have communicated directly to me about all the important things. It appears they also communicate some or all of that to him, as he's give me a call/dropped an email about stuff I'd just been notified about a few times now.

I never considered that the agent could be an information funnel. That's probably a very good, direct, and simple question to ask of any agent or agent/company pairing.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I've got a situation that I'm unsure about severity or how to address it in the short term if there's an urgent need to do so here.

We've had a snowy winter so far, and then had a big, warm storm roll in yesterday. When I woke up this morning it had unexpectedly shifted to snow, but in the meantime some water has started to pool around the house. Usually this area drains fine, and I know there's a french drain along at least part of the foundation, but for whatever reason (frozen or saturated ground? Just more water coming in than it can drain?) today it's just not doing it. Water's not going to get any higher, it's spilling over the edge of the patio onto another pool on another side of the house, which is now at the same level as a seasonal creek filling a drainage in the backyard (higher than we've seen it before), so that's not going anywhere. But it's up against the foundation and I'm sort of concerned that it's going to freeze there before draining (and is on the north/east side of the house and won't get much sun to melt it later).

We have a sump pump under the house and it seems to be doing its job so far, crawlspace looks dry everywhere except the sump pit.

I know generally having water up against the foundation is bad, but is that a bigger concern for repeat long term issues? Or is having it there for really any length of time a problem?

These are the two sides of the house aligned with the patio (north and east facing)

The second photo it's pouring over the edge around the corner to another north facing wall, you can see where the seasonal creek is here

And then on the other side of the patio, there's standing water against the foundation under the deck, and out into the yard

We've gotten about 4" of snow since 8am this morning and won't be surprised to see an additional foot or more by the end of the day/tomorrow morning, so that might complicate anything I might do about this.

Anyone have advice?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Motronic posted:

I'm sure it was that company/that state. I have an indy agent. I've been with 4 different companies through them over the years and all of them have communicated directly to me about all the important things. It appears they also communicate some or all of that to him, as he's give me a call/dropped an email about stuff I'd just been notified about a few times now.

I never considered that the agent could be an information funnel. That's probably a very good, direct, and simple question to ask of any agent or agent/company pairing.

At this point we move around too much for it to make a lot of sense to switch all the time, and I've yet to find a company other than USAA who will insure our personal property when we're posted overseas, but normies should absolutely address that question when shopping.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Steve French posted:

Anyone have advice?

I wouldn't be super happy to let that much water lay against my foundation. It probably will be fine but I'd be out there with a shovel finding the low spot and digging a channel through the snow to drain it off.

BonerGhost posted:

At this point we move around too much for it to make a lot of sense to switch all the time, and I've yet to find a company other than USAA who will insure our personal property when we're posted overseas, but normies should absolutely address that question when shopping.

Yeah, you definitely need a company that is essentially made to cater to the realities of your moving around. I forgot about that.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Motronic posted:

I wouldn't be super happy to let that much water lay against my foundation. It probably will be fine but I'd be out there with a shovel finding the low spot and digging a channel through the snow to drain it off.

Thanks. That was my first attempt: in the third photo where the water is a bit lower you can see where I’d shoveled a channel to the drainage only to discover the water level was no lower over there and it changed nothing about the flow, and with all the snow, slush pretty quickly showed up from both ends and started to close the channel anyway.

In the second photo, the low point at the corner of the house unfortunately is a timber laid in the ground as the patio border. Water is pouring over it. Clearly a longer term problem with drainage here I should do something about, but not a short term fix there aside from maybe just saying gently caress it and cutting through that piece. Maybe I will.

I could possibly go the much longer way around the patio, but a fuckload of shoveling and as mentioned with all the snow (and still coming down), with temps dropping, it doesn’t seem like a very shallow sloped channel would stay clear for long enough. I’ll give it some thought

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Steve French posted:

Thanks. That was my first attempt

Ahhh, okay, didn't quite pick up on that. So here's the deal: it doesn't matter at all then. The water laying on top is the "tip of the ice burg" issue. What you need to worry about is the hydraulic pressure against your foundation which is just gonna be there with everything at this level of saturation and the very little slope you seem to have.

And it sounds like your place was designed for this with proper drainage that is all working fine so yeah. Maintain your sump pumps. Watch for any changes. But it sounds like you're doing everything reasonable and necessary here.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I was helping my relatives hang some shelves in their apartment and I'm wondering what exactly their wall is made of. It isn't drywall, and it isn't plaster on lath. When drilled, the outer quarter inch or so looks like plaster, and then it gets into some grainy cement-like stuff...but it's much softer than any cement or brick I've encountered. Their little IKEA drill cut through it in seconds with an unspecialized bit. You can almost carve it out with a knife. It appears to be like that everywhere in the wall, I can't find any metal hardware with magnets, and I went an inch and a half deep without punching through into anything else. It's an apartment building probably built in the 60s or so.

The shelves are hung fine with suitable expansion plugs. But what is this material?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Is it plaster on gyprock lathe?

https://inspectapedia.com/interiors/Rock-Lath.php

edit: I suppose if it was you'd be finding nails everywhere.

Vim Fuego fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 31, 2022

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Just celebrating the moment where you decide to work less now despite the fact that it means you're going to work a lot more later.

Also that top hole was sized just right that I could get my hand in one way but not the other. And I could barely get my arm turned around in it.

Edit, this was refeeding the outlet in my half bath with 12ga wire so I can install the correct 20a breaker to all of my bathrooms.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Motronic posted:

Ahhh, okay, didn't quite pick up on that. So here's the deal: it doesn't matter at all then. The water laying on top is the "tip of the ice burg" issue. What you need to worry about is the hydraulic pressure against your foundation which is just gonna be there with everything at this level of saturation and the very little slope you seem to have.

And it sounds like your place was designed for this with proper drainage that is all working fine so yeah. Maintain your sump pumps. Watch for any changes. But it sounds like you're doing everything reasonable and necessary here.

Thanks a bunch. Sounds good. Now I’m pretty happy the rain changed to snow, against the forecast. Got 18” from 8am to 4pm and measured 9” over 90 minutes this afternoon… happy to have that not adding to the flooding

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

StormDrain posted:

Just celebrating the moment where you decide to work less now despite the fact that it means you're going to work a lot more later.

Also that top hole was sized just right that I could get my hand in one way but not the other. And I could barely get my arm turned around in it.

Edit, this was refeeding the outlet in my half bath with 12ga wire so I can install the correct 20a breaker to all of my bathrooms.

Why is your ceiling the same color as the wall? You monster.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Mine is too, it's great

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I have water seeping into my basement for some reason and I'm getting tired of waking up at 4am to vacuum up the pool. Any useful water barriers I can use to gate off the problem area? I tried making some sandbags with socks and sand but it's not really cutting it, the water just goes under.

Edit: unfortunately due to recent weather there's a big backlog before I can get anyone to look at it and solve the problem

Edit: Or is there a way to passively suction or wick the water off the floor into a bucket or something?

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 2, 2023

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

NomNomNom posted:

Why is your ceiling the same color as the wall? You monster.

Oh I know. Nearly every room in my house has a flat white ceiling except the bathrooms and my wife's meditation room. She insisted that I paint it all the same color, including the doors and trim. Easiest paint and masking job ever.

I like the bathrooms this way though. There's enough contrast with tile and all the bathroom stuff anyway.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I've painted our 2 bathrooms walls-and-ceiling too.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

StormDrain posted:

She insisted that I paint it all the same color, including the doors and trim.

What the gently caress

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Johnny Truant posted:

What the gently caress

I mean since it's a meditation room... I can see that.

No other room though!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It really makes you aware that you’re just a big rat living in your tiny boxes. Not sure that’s the vibe I’d want for my meditation space.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

The Dave posted:

It really makes you aware that you’re just a big rat living in your tiny boxes. Not sure that’s the vibe I’d want for my meditation space.

Some exercise will help with that, get in your wheel. There's a water bottle over there.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Prefinished vs finish on site hardwood--what are the benefits and drawbacks of each, assuming I'm paying for installation either way?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I may as well share a pic. The color was bold. When you think of paint chips with the gradient of colors I usually pick from the light three and she pics from the dark three. Often we compromise and head to the middle, but this was her space so I only made gentle suggestions.

I built the couch from scratch. We ordered the lights from Etsy which if you do that just plan on americanizing the hardware.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

brugroffil posted:

Prefinished vs finish on site hardwood--what are the benefits and drawbacks of each, assuming I'm paying for installation either way?
Prefinished is probably cheaper, faster install and don't have to stay off the floors for a week + after they are finished. Prefinished can have a more durable finish since it can be factory cured in controlled conditions. The biggest disadvantage is that each piece has a tiny bevel around it to hide any height mismatch with neighboring pieces since they aren't all gonna get sanded flush. It can make it looks gappy they can catch dust/dirt and they drive me crazy but ymmv. You also have more limited color choices with prefinished stuff-with finished on site a good floor person can make them whatever color you want.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
Hmmmm that light post in the front yard shouldn't be on in the middle of a sunny day. Stupid photocell crapping out or...?

Or yep, that'd do it too. Repair complete, time for a cold beer!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

That is beautiful, and if you wake up and find a total stranger reading a book on that couch, it'll be me. Don't shoot.

A good reason for walls and ceiling to be the same color, although not that color:

That's what all the rooms on the second floor of my house look like. When we finish unpacking some day, we'll repaint; right now I'm thinking a nice blue-gray, on the bluer side.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

PerniciousKnid posted:

I have water seeping into my basement for some reason and I'm getting tired of waking up at 4am to vacuum up the pool. Any useful water barriers I can use to gate off the problem area? I tried making some sandbags with socks and sand but it's not really cutting it, the water just goes under.

Edit: unfortunately due to recent weather there's a big backlog before I can get anyone to look at it and solve the problem

Edit: Or is there a way to passively suction or wick the water off the floor into a bucket or something?

Is the water coming from the walls around the edge of your house or straight up out of the floor?

My first house had a thankfully unfinished basement, was 120 years old, and during spring or big snow melts we'd literally have water come up from the concrete floor. Getting gutters after our first year of ownership helped tremendously there and limited the water to one corner of the house that needed to be regraded.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

So, new years celebrations got a little wild in my neighborhood and a bullet came into my house from above. I got away with a mild bruise, but my poor house...

It won't be my first time patching ceiling drywall, but do I need to jam a wooden dowel into the hole or anything before I patch the roof, or can I just patch it? There isn't any attic access to this section, it is roof/insulation/ceiling all sandwiched together.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Jesus Christ

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

What a loving nightmare. Glad you're ok!!

You can probably get some flashing sealant and just slather some into that hole from the roof side, though ultimately I'd probably replace the whole shingle. You don't need to jam anything in the hole in the roof decking, just caulk it when you can.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Friend posted:

So, new years celebrations got a little wild in my neighborhood and a bullet came into my house from above. I got away with a mild bruise, but my poor house...

It won't be my first time patching ceiling drywall, but do I need to jam a wooden dowel into the hole or anything before I patch the roof, or can I just patch it? There isn't any attic access to this section, it is roof/insulation/ceiling all sandwiched together.

You're fine to just replace the shingle and leave the small hole in the decking. A hole that small won't cause any issues.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
America the beautiful :911::patriot::blaster:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

what the actual gently caress

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

this is the price we pay to be free of the queen’s rule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Friend posted:

It's so weird to see a fired bullet with no deformation. I guess some jackhole fired a gun into the air, bullet hit its apex and then just terminal velocity and weight sent it through your roof like a hot knife through butter and it didn't hit anything but shingle and plywood or whatever the ceiling is made from.