Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Cyks posted:

I just finished FF1 PR last night and one of the NPCs in the final city you visit mentions Cid but something about it felt off.

Anyone know if he was actually mentioned in the original NES translation or was it put in during a later port as just an Easter egg?

Cid of the Lufain is a retcon that's massively important to the new background of FF1 established in Dissidia and also seemingly in the upcoming Stranger of Paradise DLC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Fister Roboto posted:

so who is the most fuckable cid

Judgemaster Cid from ffta

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Robocid from WoFF

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Do the mobile versions of the ff remasters support controllers or should I just wait for the Switch versions

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

Thats a glow up

https://twitter.com/redlettermedia/status/1608236994018136066?cxt=HHwWhMC-8c7BzdEsAAAA

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Cat-shaped Witch posted:

Do the mobile versions of the ff remasters support controllers or should I just wait for the Switch versions

No controller support

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Final Fantasy XV: Episode Gladiolus

Pretty cool, I guess. Gladio and Cor go to a Cave of Trials to prove he's got the guts to be the Shield of the King. Fights a bunch of monsters and undead. Meets Gilgamesh, an ancient spirit who exists for just that reason (and kills almost everyone unworthy). Cor is the only guy who's fought him and lived, but didn't defeat him. Gladio wins, now has the confidence to serve as Noct's personal bodyguard.

Notes:
Gladio's fighting style is very heavy swing berzerker guy.
Gilgamesh is different in this. Instead of being a goofy guy with four arms, he's a deadly serious motherfucker with one arm. You still fight him on a big bridge (made of stone) and a really epic and dramatic version of his music plays.

Time to beat: 58 minutes in game, closer to 75 real time since Greg was actually difficult and I also took a little pause break.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Final Fantasy XV: Episode Prompto

AKA Resident Evil: Final Fantasy Edition. Even the bosses were very Resident Evil. It was super fun! I liked it a lot. Fleshed Prompto out, we learn about his insecurities.

Notes:
Aranea the Dragoon shows up to help and keep Prompto from losing his poo poo.
Final boss is a loving SICK colossal metal underground boring snake that probably shoots a giant gently caress-off laser but I didn't let it do it.

Time to beat: 1:31. Didn't die at all. I really loving loved this DLC, it was so good.

Gonna take a little break before moving on to Episodes Ignis and Ardyn later today

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

FrostyPox posted:

Final Fantasy XV: Episode Prompto

AKA Resident Evil: Final Fantasy Edition. Even the bosses were very Resident Evil. It was super fun! I liked it a lot. Fleshed Prompto out, we learn about his insecurities.

Notes:
Aranea the Dragoon shows up to help and keep Prompto from losing his poo poo.
Final boss is a loving SICK colossal metal underground boring snake that probably shoots a giant gently caress-off laser but I didn't let it do it.

Time to beat: 1:31. Didn't die at all. I really loving loved this DLC, it was so good.

Gonna take a little break before moving on to Episodes Ignis and Ardyn later today

If you don’t kill the giant worm fast enough he murders the poo poo out of you.

Ignis was really great but I didn’t get Ardyn because I heard it wasn’t worth the extra money.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

ignis alt ending is canon by the way

(to me)

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Cid began in 2. The Cid in FF1 was added in the GBA remake I think then made explicit in Dissidia as the source of all FF1 problems.
Certainly didn't see any mention of him in Origins.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

man nurse posted:

It’s funny, I’ve played FF 15 to absolute completion multiple times, but never brought myself to touch the DLCs. They just seem like the antithesis of what I liked about the base game, which was the roaming around camping and road tripping and side questing. I couldn’t be less interested in a linear campaign that tells you what your party member was off doing with completely different game mechanics.

Are they considered good at all?

I really like FF15 and to be honest I can't understand playing it that much if all you like is the open world content. There isn't exactly much variety to that, and the party doesn't interact much during the car drives or camping (outside of stuff you'll probably encounter just during the main plot). "Exploration" isn't really a thing in FF15's open world, since there's not really anything to find off the beaten path; you get quests from the various towns and then only leave the car/road to reach their destinations. And most of the character interactions occur in the space of the story and the relatively small number of substantive side-quests, so it's not like you're rewarded with a bunch of extra dialogue for driving around and camping a bunch.

IMO the road trip stuff works best just throughout the main quest, with side content sort of interspersed throughout. It doesn't really work well when you're doing a zillion hunts/etc in the "post-game."

The DLCs are generally surprisingly good IMO, except Gladiolus's which is just kind of mediocre. They're generally more "high effort" than I would have expected and do a lot to the flesh-out the characters (particularly Prompto).

edit: Also, I think a lot of the better party interactions actually occur during the linear latter parts of the game. I think the whole dynamic between the guys is communicated very well throughout the events that take place.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Why does Genesis commit suicide by Zack after he gets cured? Did they even have anything to fight about at that point?

Unlike Angeal, he doesn't! He survives the fight. I was confused about this at first as well. He's taken away by two antagonists from the Dirge of Cerberus games (something I didn't know until asking about it in this thread). Apparently Genesis (who is good now after the events of Crisis Core) is still alive in the canon and just waiting in status to awaken and help save the world, lol.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 31, 2022

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I can understand playing FFXV a ton for just the fishing.

Each new chapter when more of the map was unlocked, my first priority was finding a new fishing hole.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

He looks really good with a beard, and really bad without

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Ytlaya posted:

Unlike Angeal, he doesn't! He survives the fight. I was confused about this at first as well. He's taken away by two antagonists from the Dirge of Cerberus games (something I didn't know until asking about it in this thread). Apparently Genesis (who is good now after the events of Crisis Core) is still alive in the canon and just waiting in status to awaken and help save the world, lol.

don't gaslight me

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

NikkolasKing posted:

I can understand playing FFXV a ton for just the fishing.

Each new chapter when more of the map was unlocked, my first priority was finding a new fishing hole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xcvq04qy_k&t=12s

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I actually fired up Dissidia NT for shits and giggles anyway. It's actually pretty fun, at least on the surface level, but really loving weird.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I platinumed Stranger of Paradise while unjustly probated by the bitcoin overlord and drat, that game is real fuckin good

Gotta wait for a sale on the season pass but man am I hankering for more

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

FrostyPox posted:

I actually fired up Dissidia NT for shits and giggles anyway. It's actually pretty fun, at least on the surface level, but really loving weird.

It does have an extremely hot, detailed yshtola

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

drat time to play it

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Doesn’t Genesis get woken up at the end of Dirge of Cerberus and that was his first actual appearance in the franchise?

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Cat-shaped Witch posted:

It does have an extremely hot, detailed yshtola

Definitely gonna play it then:

Final Fantasy XV: Episode Ignis (both endings): Really fun. Didn't expect Iggy to be a Ninja (also a Dragoon) the gameplay was super fun. Very touching story about how devoted Iggy is to Noct (and Ravus is to Lunafreya). Canon ending is cool, non-canon ending is also great and looks like it would've in the long run, been better since Iggy doesn't get blinded in that ending. Both endings very touching. Watched the bad ending on youtube if Ardyn kills you in the alternate path, pretty rough.

No real notes. Ignis is a Dragoon. The boss is just Ardyn again instead of something giant and horrifying.

Time to beat: ~1:14 for the first bit, ~19 more minutes for the alternate ending.

I really like these DLCs, they're much more well-made than the main game tbh which isn't surprising.

Next: Episode Ardyn.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Man, the song that plays during the first phase of the non-canon route's final boss is the best song in the game. Mitsuda is the GOAT composer

Second best song in the game is Afrosword.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ManSedan posted:

Doesn’t Genesis get woken up at the end of Dirge of Cerberus and that was his first actual appearance in the franchise?

Yes. It's a cliffhanger which was never followed up on.
To the disappointment of no one.

Although, since we were just talking about WoFF in here, Shelke from DoC was in that game. I won't lie, I was shocked. I guess somebody at Square likes her so I predict her at least being in some future FFVIIR stuff.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 1, 2023

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

ManSedan posted:

Yep, not only is it his first appearance, but supposedly the development team of Crisis Core liked what they saw while Dirge was in development that they decided to make him a central focus of their game. So there’s an alternate reality where Gackt shows up for all of ten seconds and isnever followed up on

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Although, since we were just talking about WoFF in here, Shelke from DoC was in that game. I won't lie, I was shocked. I guess somebody at Square likes her so I predict her at least being in some future FFVIIR stuff.

She's also in Dissidia Final Fantasy Opera Omnia, so yeah, I expect she'll show up in 7R at some point...

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Cleretic posted:

Dissidia's neat and I think worth playing just for fun, but struggles by being just too weird to have a niche beyond 'FF crossover game' (which, of course, it's no longer alone in).

NT suffered worst from it, partly because the PSP installments were really single-player-focused portable fighting games, which didn't exactly exist but not for lack of audience since it's a ground paved by Soul Calibur and Mortal Kombat (and honestly I miss the really robust single-player modes in some fighting games of that era). But it's also because its multiplayer approach just didn't work outside of its original context in arcades. 3v3 in short games is a nightmare for online play, because peer-to-peer doesn't scale well for that but dedicated servers also wouldn't make sense.

Don't ask me to justify it but the game that Dissidia reminded me the most of was Virtual On for Saturn

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I beat FFV tonight. Loved the hell out of it.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Don't ask me to justify it but the game that Dissidia reminded me the most of was Virtual On for Saturn

No I get the same vibes, but Virtual On slaps so hard your ancestors in the primordial soup will feel it. Can't speak to the other Dissidias but NT is merely OK

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Final Fantasy XV: Episode Ardyn: AKA, Ardyn and Ifrit Go Out On The Town

You learn about how Ardyn got screwed over by his brother, his country, and the gods. It's pretty sad. He's fun to play as, though, and you get to wreck up banners and signs for the city's Founder's Day celebration. Final Boss is King Somnus, except he's a giant loving suit of armor. It's pretty neat. The boss fight suffers from a lot of what I don't like about FFXV in that you can basically just mash attack and also dodge and win.

Notes: Ifirit follows you around and casts fire spells when you command him to. Bahamut shows up at the end to be like "Ardyn, I'm gonna gently caress you over some more but in doing so you get to gently caress over the Lucii. Deal with it."

Time to beat: ~1:28

Next: Episode Comrades. Very interested to see what this is like. I understand there's quite a bit more to do to complete it, I hear it's around 20 hours' worth so I suspect I will finish it sometime between Wednesday and Friday.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I was using this site to get strategies on FFV bosses and momentarily thought this ad was a picture of the final boss.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

I was using this site to get strategies on FFV bosses and momentarily thought this ad was a picture of the final boss.

42% off a tonberry knife? Hot dog!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

In my PC FF7R playthrough I just got to floor 59 in the Shinra building, which looks extremely similar to the floor I visited in the JPMorgan Chase Tokyo building in 2009 when visiting a friend who worked there at the time. Very accurate depiction of that sort of thing. I remember being in awe of how there was this tall ceiling and an entire wall of giant windows looking out across the city, while sitting on one of the sofa things waiting for said friend to get off work.

One thing I've noticed is that, during my first playthrough, I never really understood out the pressure/stagger stuff worked. Now I do, which helps a good deal (though I still kinda suck at the game and often have to constantly spam healing on the party). I've also found some pretty strong synergies, like using the "give ATB gauge to party members when using a skill twice in a row" materia on Tifa while spamming her Focused Strike ability.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FrostyPox posted:

No I get the same vibes, but Virtual On slaps so hard your ancestors in the primordial soup will feel it

:hmmyes:

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

FrostyPox posted:

No I get the same vibes, but Virtual On slaps so hard your ancestors in the primordial soup will feel it. Can't speak to the other Dissidias but NT is merely OK

Virtual On is how I’ve described Dissidia. Before I played, I had hoped it was an old fashioned 3D fight game like;

https://youtu.be/oGu1RrPwQzw

I was kind of disappointed even though I love Virtual On.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

somewhere in a box I have my CD for the PC version of virtual on. it's gold-plated and if you put it in a cd player it plays the (awesome) soundtrack

also in the box most likely is the old-school serial joystick port splitter I got so I could play it dual-stick like in the arcade

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The strategies I read about beating the summon boss gauntlet in FFVIIR is to spam firaga/thundaga while standing in an Arcane Ward but I just run out of MP which makes Bahamut impossible. I’m pretty convinced that fight is impossible anyway. The one guide said to use ATB assist and use a lot of abilities with Tifa to boost the other two characters’ ATB so they can keep casting but it sure doesn’t seeem to do anything! Does it only trigger when you use the commands from the menu? Do L1 shortcuts not count?

I was doing pretty well just beating the bosses down with Tifa but then Bahamut is impossible. Very annoying.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I wish I had gotten Virtual On and the Twinstick controller for my Dreamcast :smith:

FFXV Comrades: So, uh, is this literally just grinding hunts for shards to unlock power plants? Seems to be not much story. Might just go with the original plan and skip it.

Matthews
Feb 24, 2012

FrostyPox posted:

I wish I had gotten Virtual On and the Twinstick controller for my Dreamcast :smith:

FFXV Comrades: So, uh, is this literally just grinding hunts for shards to unlock power plants? Seems to be not much story. Might just go with the original plan and skip it.

Yes, yes it is, it has no plot for 99% of the game. It is ALL grind. Hundreds of hours of grinding. Not for levels, those do almost nothing for you, but for materials to upgrade your weapons. And also power for the power grid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b22FOdWvuYw