Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

FrostyPox posted:

I wish I had gotten Virtual On and the Twinstick controller for my Dreamcast :smith:

FFXV Comrades: So, uh, is this literally just grinding hunts for shards to unlock power plants? Seems to be not much story. Might just go with the original plan and skip it.

It wanted to be FF:Monster Hunter but instead it became, "exploit this specific monster so you can do everything quickly."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Monster Hunter is boring and tedious as poo poo, so FFXV's combat is an excellent fit for a MonHun competitor

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

jokes posted:

Monster Hunter is boring and tedious as poo poo, so FFXV's combat is an excellent fit for a MonHun competitor

the gently caress is this poo poo

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The strategies I read about beating the summon boss gauntlet in FFVIIR is to spam firaga/thundaga while standing in an Arcane Ward but I just run out of MP which makes Bahamut impossible. I’m pretty convinced that fight is impossible anyway. The one guide said to use ATB assist and use a lot of abilities with Tifa to boost the other two characters’ ATB so they can keep casting but it sure doesn’t seeem to do anything! Does it only trigger when you use the commands from the menu? Do L1 shortcuts not count?

I was doing pretty well just beating the bosses down with Tifa but then Bahamut is impossible. Very annoying.

L1 shortcuts count, you have to pop off the two commands in quick succession though and doing a normal attack in between them will mean it doesn't work.

Bahamut is nasty, I ended up using Cloud's punisher mode / counterstance a lot when he went on the offensive

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The strategies I read about beating the summon boss gauntlet in FFVIIR is to spam firaga/thundaga while standing in an Arcane Ward but I just run out of MP which makes Bahamut impossible. I’m pretty convinced that fight is impossible anyway. The one guide said to use ATB assist and use a lot of abilities with Tifa to boost the other two characters’ ATB so they can keep casting but it sure doesn’t seeem to do anything! Does it only trigger when you use the commands from the menu? Do L1 shortcuts not count?

I was doing pretty well just beating the bosses down with Tifa but then Bahamut is impossible. Very annoying.

Regarding ATB Assist, I think it has to be direct back to back, with no delays. I find the easiest way is to queue up the second skill while using the first. Using the shortcuts, I imagine you'd have to basically be spamming it or something (unless the shortcuts can also queue abilities; I don't use them so I don't know); you can't have any delay to speak of between uses. With Tifa, a good option is spamming Focused Strike, since it seems to build back her own ATB such that you can spam it over and over again.

I've noticed that most guides seem to just omit information about the boss's attacks, outside of the particularly exceptional ones. I'll look up a strategy and it almost always falls apart instantly as my characters start getting owned. The strategy will just assume that you're able to flawlessly execute a sequence of commands at the beginning of the fight.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

jokes posted:

:chloe:

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I have never played Monster Hunter

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It has, and I’m not joking or exaggerating, the best video game combat of all time.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Meh

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I managed to beat Pride & Joy gauntlet using a strategy that stunlocked every boss so that they could basically do nothing the whole time. Cheesy but whatever, trophy get!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I've tried three different Monster Hunters and they never seemed to progress beyond anything grander than 'spawn into a map and chase down a giant chicken for 20 minutes whilst it periodically runs away from you'

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I mean, that is the game yes. That’s kind of its fundamental gameplay loop.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

NieR Occomata posted:

I mean, that is the game yes. That’s kind of its fundamental gameplay loop.

It's boring

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

NieR Occomata posted:

the gently caress is this poo poo

the truth

also loving lmao at the idea of Monster Hunter having better combat then DMC 3-5, Souls, Sekiro, or any of the other actual top notch action games.

FF7R has better combat then Monster Hunter.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Monster Hunter plays a lot like FFXV if you only used super low-level great swords against the hardest bosses in the game

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I mean, if it doesn’t hit you it doesn’t hit you. But to me the appeal of MH is that it’s kind of the closest thing video games have to learning an instrument; you play it for no real other reason than to get better at it, and the depth of its combat systems allow for that level of a sense of accomplishment by mastering its systems.

Like, I’ve been playing a single weapon since it was introduced (in monster hunter 4u), so three generations and something like I dunno, a thousand plus hours. I feel like at this point I’m “pretty okay to good” with that weapon. One weapon. Of fourteen. Like, could you bring me on a hunt and I wouldn’t embarrass myself with charge blade? Yeah, but I wouldn’t say I’ve mastered it, I’m still kind of poo poo at guard points and I still have some fundamental mechanics I need to work on.

Like, that’s what separates out MH from literally any other game that isn’t a fighting game (which mh gets compared to but I don’t play); it’s a game series where the depth and design of its combat is just so expansive it has the ability to be studied and played for thousands and thousands of hours with new depth emerging as you go. And even with fighting games it becomes less about execution than prediction because you’re playing against another human; MH is all about developing mechanics.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

jokes posted:

:blastu:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

No Dignity posted:

I've tried three different Monster Hunters and they never seemed to progress beyond anything grander than 'spawn into a map and chase down a giant chicken for 20 minutes whilst it periodically runs away from you'

All the people who enjoy Monster Hunter keep talking about these different monsters, various types of dragons, big gorillas, dinosaurs etc. I think these are all people who make it through the tailing mission part of the early game though.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

They’ve pretty much removed the tailing mission sections of MH, fwiw.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Summoning Lavos so I can hopefully watch it destroy everyone posting in this argument

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Your Momster Hunter

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

jokes posted:

Nice troll

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

jokes posted:

No.

RevolverDivider posted:

also loving lmao at the idea of Monster Hunter having better combat then DMC 3-5, Souls, Sekiro, or any of the other actual top notch action games.

Early Dark Souls and Early MonHun stack up pretty well gameplay wise. Most of the souls game combat is....not good. It's there, it functions, but it's essentially the same level of boring as early entries in MonHun where your moveset is extremely limited and it's mostly just waiting for the times you can safely hit (Because holy poo poo DS1 boss design after like...the first fourth of it shits the bed) and the rewards for being very aggro aren't that much better than just waiting for the safe hits. It took them a few games to give you things to do in combat that meant anything and until Elden Ring to...let you do any of them without hyper specializations making so you can only really do that one thing. The things where it shines, the prep work for buffs and weapon picks and enhancements directly exists in Mon Hun and they focus on that way better than DS1-3 do. The combat in Dark souls was never really its strength compared to the exploration and dungeoneering aspects. To call either of them Top Notch Action GAmes in the same breath as the DMC's of the world is...insane. It's an entirely different genre of game from those.

But also there's fun boss fights in early mon hun and like maybe 5 enjoyable fights between all the bosses in DS1 and 2.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 1, 2023

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

nrook posted:

Summoning Lavos so I can hopefully watch it destroy everyone posting in this argument

Personally hand delivering the black materia to Sephiroth.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I am skipping Comrades and moving on to FFXIII-2

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

FrostyPox posted:

Moving on to the best game as rapidly as possible. Wise choice.

What will you be playing it on?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

FrostyPox posted:

If you're playing on pc there are a few QoL mods you need to install Before You Start (because it will delete your save.)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Monster Hunter is so sweet

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Double-posting to ensure FrostyPox sees this:

for FFXIII-2, you should install the following, before you start playing.

Cut DLC Content Restoration Patch - This is important because it has the only non-idiotic outfit for Noel. It's also got some other neat things.

Leviathan's Tears - Fixes the broken rain effect that otherwise looks ugly as poo poo and makes rainy areas really hard to navigate (Seriously, it's actually broken, it looks totally different on PS3.)

FFXIII Fix - this works for FFXIII-2 as well, and helps improve performance, especially at higher resolutions.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Moving on to the best game as rapidly as possible. Wise choice.

What will you be playing it on?

PC

Agents are GO! posted:

Double-posting to ensure FrostyPox sees this:

for FFXIII-2, you should install the following, before you start playing.

Cut DLC Content Restoration Patch - This is important because it has the only non-idiotic outfit for Noel. It's also got some other neat things.

Leviathan's Tears - Fixes the broken rain effect that otherwise looks ugly as poo poo and makes rainy areas really hard to navigate (Seriously, it's actually broken, it looks totally different on PS3.)

FFXIII Fix - this works for FFXIII-2 as well, and helps improve performance, especially at higher resolutions.

Done, but I had zero issues running FFXIII on PC

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I am looking forward to XIII-2 (and LR) because in case it isn't obvious, I absolutely love FNC.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

FrostyPox posted:

PC

Done, but I had zero issues running FFXIII on PC

FFXIII runs fine, it's XIII-2 which will freeze or crash pretty regularly. The port is a complete disaster.

If you have any issues lemme know. There's a few more programs to try and help this if you need them.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

NieR Occomata posted:

But to me the appeal of MH is that it’s kind of the closest thing video games have to learning an instrument;

you should play fighting games

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
FF13-2 has monster fashion and Chronobind and so I must admit, however reluctantly, that it is good.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://www.gematsu.com/2022/12/yoshinori-kitase-teases-big-final-fantasy-announcement-for-2023

More FF

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Surprise twist: They're ending the series.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
a pox on them and their teasers for teasers. be specific or begone

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kheldarn posted:

Surprise twist: They're ending the series.

The Final Fantasy

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Yoshi-P has been forced out due to mental health and they're annoucing the septilogy of FFXVII, all directed by Nomura

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

An FF NFT game.