Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Midnight Voyager posted:

"being incurious" aka not wanting to watch every movie out there???

is there any value, genuinely, in taking people's sentiments to their most ridiculous conclusions instead of one that makes sense. do you think they were calling you stupid for not watching every movie or do you think they were commentating on how things you might initially write off based on plot synopsis alone might have a different artistic value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

DoctorWhat posted:

I should share the TFWiki Go-Bots Saga sometime.

do it, coward

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

fun hater posted:

is there any value, genuinely, in taking people's sentiments to their most ridiculous conclusions instead of one that makes sense. do you think they were calling you stupid for not watching every movie or do you think they were commentating on how things you might initially write off based on plot synopsis alone might have a different artistic value.

I didn't think I took it anywhere. "Incurious" and something they're "guilty" of just struck me as an odd way to think about it. We've all got our ways of filtering out what media we end up consuming.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

"Oh God, no, I don't want to read Garth Ennis's Crossed, but I want to get a general idea of what the gently caress is going on that comic series but also I want it in audio format while I work on something else" is a viable and understandable mindset. A bit like reading or hearing a synposis of Everywhere At The End Of Time versus the whole 10 hour behemoth.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I know a guy who doesn't play many video games outside of weird and gross mobile games, but he obsessively reads every game wiki that exists and then enters conversations about those games and talks as if he's beaten and fully cleared those games. I don't understand why, but it's caused several fights in the singular discord server we share when someone points out that whatever he was talking about got patched out or updated or was just a rumor and he turns that molehill into a mountain to die on. Dude's loving weird.

Anyway, my point is just that there's very much a TVTropes style guy out there who absolutely just loves summaries and lists of things that exist more than engaging with the actual media its self.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Nuebot posted:

I know a guy who doesn't play many video games outside of weird and gross mobile games, but he obsessively reads every game wiki that exists and then enters conversations about those games and talks as if he's beaten and fully cleared those games. I don't understand why, but it's caused several fights in the singular discord server we share when someone points out that whatever he was talking about got patched out or updated or was just a rumor and he turns that molehill into a mountain to die on. Dude's loving weird.

Anyway, my point is just that there's very much a TVTropes style guy out there who absolutely just loves summaries and lists of things that exist more than engaging with the actual media its self.

There was a post in the r/relationships thread about a guy that just read summaries for things that other people were in the middle of to spoil them. Baffling.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Terrible Opinions posted:

What's with the weird blurring on Morticia?

It's covering up her cleavage

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I've just been made aware this is the English equivalent

watho posted:

there’s something deeply compelling about this very bad channel and video to me it’s not worth watching the entire thing but just get a feel for it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7ppyZmdsqA

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Midnight Voyager posted:

I didn't think I took it anywhere. "Incurious" and something they're "guilty" of just struck me as an odd way to think about it. We've all got our ways of filtering out what media we end up consuming.

yeah sure that word choice was slightly hyperbolic, i just feel very aware of how little art ive been giving myself time to sit down and experience lately

i blasted through the locked tomb series last week, that felt nice :)

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

if people are talking about a movie i haven't seen i will simply ask questions I'm curious about but otherwise let them get on and stay out of it until another topic comes up. idk seems really easy

imagining a fake thing from secondhand discussion of a real thing is fun and a good exercise in creativity

Catgirl Al Capone fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jan 2, 2023

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Fil5000 posted:

do it, coward

Okay, here goes.

So TFWiki has been around for a really long time. It parted ways with Wikia backing around 2006 and now operates completely independently. It's well known for an irreverent tone while also being comprehensive and informative, and for not having obnoxious advertisements. It's owned by David "Walky" Willis, who is also known as the author and artist of the web comics Shortpacked and Dumbing of Age, and ultimately the buck stops with him.

Way back in the '90s Hasbro bought Tonka. As a result, they acquired the intellectual property of the Go-Bots characters. This is sort of complicated because the original Go-Bots toys were based on designs owned by Bandai, who retain those rights, but that's not really important. Since then, Go-Bots have occasionally appeared in obtuse spin-off material and fan club fiction for the Transformers, sometimes in reimagined homage forms but also sometimes as interdimensional travellers whose history aligned with the Go-Bots fiction from the 80s.

For the first decade or so, the Transformers wiki treated each Go-Bot who made an individual appearance in Transformers fiction as a Transformers character like any other, and only included the most relevant information about their appearances in Go-Bots fiction such as comics and cartoons insofar as it informed their appearance in official Transformers media.

Around 2015 the Facebook page "Ask Vector Prime", which was operated under official license from Hasbro, began answering fan questions. These answers were exactly as canon as anything else produced under that fan club license, which meant that those answers were valid primary sources for the wiki. Unfortunately for Wiki stability, that Facebook page was operated by fans, including wiki editors. Many of those wiki editors felt that the wiki's approach to documenting the Go-Bots should be more comprehensive, considering how often Go-Bots characters had appeared in Transformers fiction and Hasbro's ownership of the franchise, and also considering a contemporary Brand Unification push Hasbro was making that incorporated characters like the Visionaries, JEM and the Holograms, ROM Spaceknight, and GI Joe into Transformers comic books, all of whom began to get expanded TFWiki coverage.

Via the AVP page, a Trojan Horse operation was put into action by this faction to force almost complete coverage of all Go-Bots media onto the Transformers wiki, through leading questions, collusion, and manipulation of Wiki content policies.

David Willis and many other oldhead editors thought this was stupid and also an end run around their authority. It's hard to argue that it wasn't an end run around authority. The result was a schism so extreme that Willis threatened to pull the plug on wiki servers and shut the entire operation down unless editors stopped using and abusing AVP to subvert editorial policy.

The vast majority of Go-Bots articles created via AVP were swiftly deleted. Still others were slimmed down to the bare minimum required to document Transformers fiction. Official wiki policy more solidly than ever declared that Go-Bots that did not specifically appear in Transformers comics and cartoons did not constitute Transformers characters.

And then IDW publishing released a Go-Bots miniseries imagining a world in which the Go-Bots created the Transformers in their own image after an apocalyptic war. This threatened to explode the whole drama all over again, but by this point Ask Vector Prime was long gone, and cooler heads prevailed.

Willis also set up a spinoff Go-Bots wiki, with free hosting, which absolutely nobody contributed to in any way. Such is life!

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Kunster posted:

A bit like reading or hearing a synposis of Everywhere At The End Of Time versus the whole 10 hour behemoth.

I would absolutely do both.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

fun hater posted:

I’m going to take everything you say in the worst possible light so that it’s functionally not what you said, and then get mad at it. That Is My Posting Way.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The 7th Guest posted:

jason x rules, it's so stupid

None of the Friday movies are 'good' by an Ebertonian definition but a few I can watch and not be bored by and Jason X is definitely one of them. They don't even have rights to the Friday the 13th name! It's so stupid but I love it and Lexa Doig is like the Vancouver queen of crappy genre stuff.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Kunster posted:

"Oh God, no, I don't want to read Garth Ennis's Crossed, but I want to get a general idea of what the gently caress is going on that comic series but also I want it in audio format while I work on something else" is a viable and understandable mindset. A bit like reading or hearing a synposis of Everywhere At The End Of Time versus the whole 10 hour behemoth.

but why approach art and media as #content to be consumed in order to keep up, rather then a voluntary engagement with art that seems to speak to you. it's not slop from a trough to eat as fast as possible. there's a lot of stuff I don't know about that people talk about and it's OK to say "haven't seen it". especially a comic! that's visual! just look at it!

it just strikes me as slightly neurotic!

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Shinji2015 posted:

It's covering up her cleavage
I gather just seems baffling to censor stuff that would get a pass on US daytime TV.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the beta skinamarink: duhhrrr here's some walls and ceilings for 2 hours, while some kids mumble off-mic

the sigma jason x: jason shoves a person's head into a sink of liquid nitrogen then shatters the face off before throwing the body away indifferently as he has already mentally checked out

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Terrible Opinions posted:

I gather just seems baffling to censor stuff that would get a pass on US daytime TV.

Maybe china has different standards?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

fun hater posted:

you have been VILIFIED by the community *strangers run up and start punching u*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yU6WC4dpaHM&t=332s

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Famethrowa posted:

but why approach art and media as #content to be consumed in order to keep up, rather then a voluntary engagement with art that seems to speak to you. it's not slop from a trough to eat as fast as possible. there's a lot of stuff I don't know about that people talk about and it's OK to say "haven't seen it". especially a comic! that's visual! just look at it!

it just strikes me as slightly neurotic!

I specifically picked the "somewhat long comic series about a heavily detailed apocalypse where a portion of the human population gets ultra violent and rapey that ends up causing a double apocalypse" since it embodies a certain mixture of time allotedment + heavily detailed and explicit subject matter for that example, and I wouldn't say I read the comic after hearing a synopsis of it on youtube and having someone dump a long thread about it on twitter.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

Okay, here goes.

So TFWiki has been around for a really long time. It parted ways with Wikia backing around 2006 and now operates completely independently. It's well known for an irreverent tone while also being comprehensive and informative, and for not having obnoxious advertisements. It's owned by David "Walky" Willis, who is also known as the author and artist of the web comics Shortpacked and Dumbing of Age, and ultimately the buck stops with him.

Way back in the '90s Hasbro bought Tonka. As a result, they acquired the intellectual property of the Go-Bots characters. This is sort of complicated because the original Go-Bots toys were based on designs owned by Bandai, who retain those rights, but that's not really important. Since then, Go-Bots have occasionally appeared in obtuse spin-off material and fan club fiction for the Transformers, sometimes in reimagined homage forms but also sometimes as interdimensional travellers whose history aligned with the Go-Bots fiction from the 80s.

For the first decade or so, the Transformers wiki treated each Go-Bot who made an individual appearance in Transformers fiction as a Transformers character like any other, and only included the most relevant information about their appearances in Go-Bots fiction such as comics and cartoons insofar as it informed their appearance in official Transformers media.

Around 2015 the Facebook page "Ask Vector Prime", which was operated under official license from Hasbro, began answering fan questions. These answers were exactly as canon as anything else produced under that fan club license, which meant that those answers were valid primary sources for the wiki. Unfortunately for Wiki stability, that Facebook page was operated by fans, including wiki editors. Many of those wiki editors felt that the wiki's approach to documenting the Go-Bots should be more comprehensive, considering how often Go-Bots characters had appeared in Transformers fiction and Hasbro's ownership of the franchise, and also considering a contemporary Brand Unification push Hasbro was making that incorporated characters like the Visionaries, JEM and the Holograms, ROM Spaceknight, and GI Joe into Transformers comic books, all of whom began to get expanded TFWiki coverage.

Via the AVP page, a Trojan Horse operation was put into action by this faction to force almost complete coverage of all Go-Bots media onto the Transformers wiki, through leading questions, collusion, and manipulation of Wiki content policies.

David Willis and many other oldhead editors thought this was stupid and also an end run around their authority. It's hard to argue that it wasn't an end run around authority. The result was a schism so extreme that Willis threatened to pull the plug on wiki servers and shut the entire operation down unless editors stopped using and abusing AVP to subvert editorial policy.

The vast majority of Go-Bots articles created via AVP were swiftly deleted. Still others were slimmed down to the bare minimum required to document Transformers fiction. Official wiki policy more solidly than ever declared that Go-Bots that did not specifically appear in Transformers comics and cartoons did not constitute Transformers characters.

And then IDW publishing released a Go-Bots miniseries imagining a world in which the Go-Bots created the Transformers in their own image after an apocalyptic war. This threatened to explode the whole drama all over again, but by this point Ask Vector Prime was long gone, and cooler heads prevailed.

Willis also set up a spinoff Go-Bots wiki, with free hosting, which absolutely nobody contributed to in any way. Such is life!

"Guards! Guards! My Transformers fan authority is being subverted!"

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I was extremely pro-Go-Bot coverage during the entire thing but people were absolutely acting in bad faith to game editorial policy throughout the AVP.

One upside of the whole affair is that, when My Little Pony and Transformers had a crossover recently, we were able to use precedent to keep the number and size of MLP character pages in check.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Kunster posted:

I specifically picked the "somewhat long comic series about a heavily detailed apocalypse where a portion of the human population gets ultra violent and rapey that ends up causing a double apocalypse" since it embodies a certain mixture of time allotedment + heavily detailed and explicit subject matter for that example, and I wouldn't say I read the comic after hearing a synopsis of it on youtube and having someone dump a long thread about it on twitter.

but... why do you care if it doesn't speak to you? just discard it!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I read the first issue of Crossed, got to the splash page at the end, went "oh right yes, Millar, of course" and never read another one. The beauty of serialised fiction is not having to waste too much time when you realise it's not for you.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i dont engage with media i dont enjoy

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the only part of crossed that i liked was Wish You Were Here and +100 the rest is either garth ennis wanking about how stupid the zombie genre is or the most digusting edge lord poo poo ever made into a comic avoid it and just watch the sadness instead if you want that kind of story

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Famethrowa posted:

but... why do you care if it doesn't speak to you? just discard it!

Because GARTH ENNIS GARTH ENNIS GARTH ENNIS!!!!

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
everything that makes live action adaption of the Boys good has nothing to do with Ennis because they discarded most of his plot and went in their own direction for the best

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

And yet The Boys would have never existed if Garth Ennis had never written that middling comic that was only good every once an awhile.

Clip-On Fedora fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 2, 2023

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Clip-On Fedora posted:

And yet The Boys would have never existed if Garth Ennis had never written that comic that middling comic that was only good every once an awhile.

garth ennis you've done it again....

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

love sausage

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Crossed?
Skinamarink?
Is this discussion somehow a delayed discussion of another SEW Video?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

Okay, here goes.

It never fails to amaze me how much of the internet's history and legacy architecture is propped up and sustained by "some guy." These very forums being another notable example.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

everything that makes live action adaption of the Boys good has nothing to do with Ennis because they discarded most of his plot and went in their own direction for the best

I skimmed this comic once, and boy howdy, what a turd. Maybe there was some good stuff in there, but I sure didn't see any.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
what is the go-bots opinion on male genital mutilation also known as circumcision by those brainwashed by the Illuminati

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Skippy McPants posted:

I skimmed this comic once, and boy howdy, what a turd. Maybe there was some good stuff in there, but I sure didn't see any.

this is most of garth ennis output for me he has good ideas but most of the time his story is him ranting about something he hates and it detracts from the story the boys is about how garth ennis thinks super heroes are stupid and fail but theres a good idea buried in there with the supes being owned by corporations and governments and having zero accountability for their hosed up actions that the show does a better job of exploring

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
TFWiki is one of the only big wikis not owned by Fandom.com so I have respect for it regardless of how I feel about transformers.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

DeafNote posted:

Crossed?
Skinamarink?
Is this discussion somehow a delayed discussion of another SEW Video?

Not nearly enough complaining about how SEW sounds like he's having an existential crisis.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

YggiDee posted:

TFWiki is one of the only big wikis not owned by Fandom.com so I have respect for it regardless of how I feel about transformers.

Along with Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages and UFOpaedia. Always happy to run into a solid fan wiki that hasn't been hoovered up by Fandom.com.

Edit: someone should make a wiki for independent wikis.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

what is the go-bots opinion on male genital mutilation also known as circumcision by those brainwashed by the Illuminati

Well Tonka's Go-Bots are organic brains piloting fully robotic bodies following ecological devastation of the planet Gobotron so they have all been separated from their genitals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

DoctorWhat posted:

Well Tonka's Go-Bots are organic brains piloting fully robotic bodies following ecological devastation of the planet Gobotron so they have all been separated from their genitals.

:eyepop: