Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I got a HG RX-78-2 model from TradGamesSecretSanta I haven't started yet. We went to target and I kind of gushed over all the gunpla/plamo they had there and the GF only got HG 201 (ZGMF-X20A Strike Freedom Gundam) and Super Sayian Son Goku (they had regular goku but, super sayian :ssj:) and what looks like some "Gundam Infinity" action figure for like 50c because it wasn't marked what the price was. it's Wing Gundam which is cool, but it's got a "collect the rest of the set to make zaku" which I'm kind of meh on. it's a LOT lower quality than my HG Gundam Wing. I didn't actually get those for xmas but I might just buy it off her because they look cool, instead of her returning it to the store.

There was a gundam that looked like a centaur that was also cool looking I might go back for if they still have it.

They also had Boba Fett and Din Djarin which was tempting, but expensive.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I won't be knocking these out as quickly once I'm done with the EGs, I'm sure (only one EG left, then I'll move onto HGs), but put together another today.

I hope people here find these poses much better (the discord folks did at least).

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

boz posted:

You don't live south of Atlanta do you? Only ask because my local place got one of those as well

Naw, I'm in Canada. We do have one connection to Atlanta: our local NHL franchise was originally from there

(The Atlanta Flames)

Sadly, no RG Hi-nu or I'd have made an inadvisable impulse buy of a big dude and a HUGE dude

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/Kirbysuperstar/status/1609505750115831809

yeah this thing owns

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
The Kyokai Senki models are absolutely awesome, it’s a shame the show was absolute garbage.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Told you so! :colbert:

But yeah, the Bunyip Boomerang's a really fun desk toy to have.

PringleCreamEgg posted:

The Kyokai Senki models are absolutely awesome, it’s a shame the show was absolute garbage.

I'll give a few bits of praise for AMAIM; Some of the kit designs were interesting, and I liked that they pushed for accessory vehicle kits too. Also the second ED and credit sequence deserved to be in a far better show than AMAIM.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jan 1, 2023

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

As I'm getting closer to my first paint job in years I'm doing a bit of customizing and I really regret selling my bitz box all those years ago :qq:

So let's talk extra parts! The lines I know about are the Builder Parts from Bandai, M.S.G from Kotobukyia and D.U.A from Anubis. Are there more lines for custom bits? I'd also be interesred in parts that you think are good that come from other areas of plastic modeling. Maybe you know about a set with tank or plane accessoires that just perfectly fit for your custom build? Lay it on me!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I’ve never seen some put a gun from a Warhammer Imperial Knight kit on a Gundam, but I bet it’s be pretty cool.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gripweed posted:

I’ve never seen some put a gun from a Warhammer Imperial Knight kit on a Gundam, but I bet it’s be pretty cool.

GW makes nice looking stuff but if you think Bandai is expensive hold onto your butts. I have some other reasons to avoid them too.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Tin Tim posted:

As I'm getting closer to my first paint job in years I'm doing a bit of customizing and I really regret selling my bitz box all those years ago :qq:

So let's talk extra parts! The lines I know about are the Builder Parts from Bandai, M.S.G from Kotobukyia and D.U.A from Anubis. Are there more lines for custom bits? I'd also be interesred in parts that you think are good that come from other areas of plastic modeling. Maybe you know about a set with tank or plane accessoires that just perfectly fit for your custom build? Lay it on me!

30 Minute Missions has a lot of weapon, backpack, and armor sets.

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

30 Minute Missions has a lot of weapon, backpack, and armor sets.

This is what you want to go with. And most of them should click right on without any modifications.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Tin Tim posted:

The MSG Koto parts are closer suited to the 1/100 scale, so keep that in mind depending on the kit you're customizing.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

It's been a while since I worked on a recent release from Bandai, godDAMN the engineering is amazing on this RG Hi-Nu kit! The color separation is some kind of arcane magic, is it like this with recent MG kits now?!?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
If I'm doing a basic set (HG Barbatos L.R.) with no decals or extra painting should I bother with a gloss coat first or just do build > lining > matte topcoat?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Pierson posted:

If I'm doing a basic set (HG Barbatos L.R.) with no decals or extra painting should I bother with a gloss coat first or just do build > lining > matte topcoat?

Depending on whar Liner you are using a gloss top coat is recommended to prevent plastic damage

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It's an actual Gundam Marker.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Pierson posted:

It's an actual Gundam Marker.

The order you mentioned would be good then

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
In looking at my backlog, I just learned that 2023 is the year will be the year I will need to do at minimum 4 Nu Gundams (RG Nu, RG Hi-Nu, RG Nu-ff, Entry Grade Nu-ff), going to need a few action bases for this one

I feel like I have accumulated a pretty sizable (and slightly embarrassing) backlog where I don't need to hawk on P-Bandai releases anymore but they're going to release something really cool that I need to get, without fail

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Phy posted:

Naw, I'm in Canada. We do have one connection to Atlanta: our local NHL franchise was originally from there

(The Atlanta Flames)

Sadly, no RG Hi-nu or I'd have made an inadvisable impulse buy of a big dude and a HUGE dude

Look, I know both those teams sucked, and they pretty thoroughly still suck, but they were ours, dammit. What does Saskatchewan even need with an NHL team, there's like three people up there.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

ALEX is done

im never buying a 1/144 gundam again the head is so much easier to assemble in 1/100

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

grassy gnoll posted:

Look, I know both those teams sucked, and they pretty thoroughly still suck, but they were ours, dammit. What does Saskatchewan even need with an NHL team, there's like three people up there.

Lol what? Saskatchewan will never have an NHL team. There's like three people here and I don't even like hockey.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

:hmmyes: third hand seems to do the trick. Will look into those thanks for the help.

The additional discussion made me realise I need to read more about plastic-paint interactions.

Puddin posted:

I've heard people bash on about how the Moon Gundam is the best HG, but I legit think the Stein Narrative is the best. Even without paint it just looks so drat good out of the box.

Yeah totally. I need to look for more less gundam looking mobile suits. I've got nothing against the actual gundams but I feel more drawn towards the less gundammy designs.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Twelve by Pies posted:

I won't be knocking these out as quickly once I'm done with the EGs, I'm sure (only one EG left, then I'll move onto HGs), but put together another today.

I hope people here find these poses much better (the discord folks did at least).

not only does he look good, I love that you did it at the card shop.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Stairmaster posted:

ALEX is done

im never buying a 1/144 gundam again the head is so much easier to assemble in 1/100

Hell yes Alex

Diet Poison posted:

Lol what? Saskatchewan will never have an NHL team. There's like three people here and I don't even like hockey.

I'mma be real with you, I can't tell the difference between Saskatchewan and Manitoba.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Finished building my fourth today. Another HG. Debating on going to MG next or finish the HGs I have in the backlog (4 HG, 6 MG, 2 RG)

#5 - HG 35 - GUNDAM AGE-1 GULL GLANSA [AGE-1G] - 5057390

And here's a picture of the lineup from first build to the newest (missing is the little baby one I made first)

Anyone have any feedback? What would you do, jump to MG or finish your HGs?

boz
Oct 16, 2005
I find it's nice to keep some HGs in the backlog as they can be a nice refresher/break from the bigger builds.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

.... I thought I didn't have a normal Kyrios. I was wrong. Now I have a painted one, and a raw one.

boz posted:

I find it's nice to keep some HGs in the backlog as they can be a nice refresher/break from the bigger builds.

HG's are a weird spot for me. I end up getting driven real hard to paint them, becuase of how much they miss. HG's take a lot more work to feel satisfied with them for me.

I can build a raw RG, and feel real proud. A raw HG and I just have the detail bits screaming at me. Even with that MG RX78-2 1.5 I built needed paint to feel "ok".

..........so I'm trying to condense my collection right now. And as I look at old models, I'm driven to fix them up. Which means my backlog isn't getting touched.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

boz posted:

First person to suggest one of these 6 will be the one I choose to build.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

IG-88 posted:

First person to suggest one of these 6 will be the one I choose to build.

Zaku.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Okie dokie

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Anyone itt who has built the HG Tieren Ground Type? I've started it today and was very disappointed to find that the backpack had some rather significant mould lines all over it. At two points it was so bad that the surfaces on either side of the line weren't even the same height. Was a real pain to clean and sand all that stuff on a cramped surface and I still need to do a little more to get it completely smooth. I don't want to tbh but I know it's gonna eat me in the years to come if I just paint over it.

Anyway I checked the rest of the runners and no other parts had issues like the backpack. So now I wonder if I just got unlucky and caught a kit with a factory mishap? If you've built the kit and had the same hosed up looking backpack you'll probably remember lol

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

grassy gnoll posted:

I'mma be real with you, I can't tell the difference between Saskatchewan and Manitoba.

And you apparently confuse both with Alberta, unless :thejoke:

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Amusingly, last week I was asked to put this pink girl up.

Tin Tim posted:

Anyone itt who has built the HG Tieren Ground Type? I've started it today and was very disappointed to find that the backpack had some rather significant mould lines all over it. At two points it was so bad that the surfaces on either side of the line weren't even the same height. Was a real pain to clean and sand all that stuff on a cramped surface and I still need to do a little more to get it completely smooth. I don't want to tbh but I know it's gonna eat me in the years to come if I just paint over it.

Anyway I checked the rest of the runners and no other parts had issues like the backpack. So now I wonder if I just got unlucky and caught a kit with a factory mishap? If you've built the kit and had the same hosed up looking backpack you'll probably remember lol

I just dug mine out. Happily, I discovered I had panel lined mine. I love how "tanky" this thing is.

You mean the seam that's near the connection to the back of the Tieren? If you really want that to disappear, I'd be scraping with the back edge of a knife. It's ugly. But it's also "on the back" and... doesn't show up at all in my photos.

It's there though. It's a result of mold draft.

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 3, 2023

Tergaso
Mar 4, 2007

My God! Wooden eels! Surface! Surface!

Tergaso posted:

Thanks (or "thanks") to you folks for introducing me to Newtype. I haven't built any Gunpla in over a decade, but decided to get back into it recently. I don't have the space in my home for MG ones so I got some more HG ones.

I realize now that I find the Gundam 0080 suit designs to be my favorites.

I realized that I never posted these once they got built.

Got my next batch today, I was excited to see the store I went to had the GM Cannon II and Zgok E.

Hey, authority:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

I've been working on an MG Hi Nu Ver. Ka, and accidentally popped out part of a finger while setting up a hand, and now it pops out extremely easily. Is there any way to fix that, or will I just have to be really careful when posing it?

e: Also my current finished works over my vacation, currently stored in my mother's display cabinet:

HG Z'Gok
-nice warm up project
-z'gok is cool
-literally only got this because i convinced my mother to get me the old char z'gok kit when i was a kid and wanted a nostalgia hit
-didn't even know what gundam was at the time lmao
-built it with loving nailclippers

RG God Gundam
-can never go wrong with g gundam
-drat, this boy really do be posable

HG Kshatriya
-holy poo poo this boy is chonky
-how is this an hg scale
-funnels aren't really made to be posed, just a single piece of plastic with an obvious line cut in to dock

Also tried panel lining with these kits, but its a bit hard to see with this lighting.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 3, 2023

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Nerobro posted:

I just dug mine out. Happily, I discovered I had panel lined mine. I love how "tanky" this thing is.

You mean the seam that's near the connection to the back of the Tieren? If you really want that to disappear, I'd be scraping with the back edge of a knife. It's ugly. But it's also "on the back" and... doesn't show up at all in my photos.

It's there though. It's a result of mold draft.
Thanks for the reply! I do like the Tieren very much due to it's bulky look. It's a very good grunt mecha imo and I was planning on buying the 1/100 version at some point.

Judging by your pics it does seem like I got unlucky with a factory mishap on the HG version. Like there seems to be a mould line at the same spot in your kit but it looks a lot less severe than what I had.

I did not scratch or cut the surface there on the left side. It's smooth to the touch now but you can clearly see the remnant of the line. The top left corner is also where the surfaces on either side of the line had different heights.

Other side was just as bad.

As said I still need to clean this more until it's good enough. Yeah it's mostly hidden but... I'll know :ohdear:

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Naa, the lighting hides it. Yours looks better. I have three 1/100 too. It's a monster.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Pretty much done the body. Here's a leg picture again. Stripped the sliding panel from white to and going to paint it grey, becuause the white rectangle really clashed with the surrounding grey.

Now time to add leds to the head camera's chest and wrist sensors( this is fun) and remove the ridiculous seam lines from the twin buster rifles and back wings ( this part sucks)

I want the pain of this kit to end.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Finally got off my rear end and started working on kits again. Spent the last couple weeks working on some kitbashes:

Combined Aerial with a hg OO Raiser that was collecting dust.

And these two are still WIPS

Aerial x Barbatos

And an evil mobile suit from left over parts I've been collecting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

That purple looks amazing. I love it.

Also, this MG Zaku is the first build that looks like I need to cut the stickers off the sheet? I’m guessing use cuticle scissors or an exacto knife?

Edit: I used the google translate app and it says you use cellophane tape to apply the decal?? What the gently caress did I get myself into??

IG-88 fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 3, 2023