Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

fresh_cheese posted:

Yea its a weird flex cultural thing coming from the manager. There is no reason for you to expect yourself to have instant recollection of the price/kilo of an ingredient you used 2 months ago. This is what documentation is for, and thats why you CCd the documentation to everyone who would need that info, as you say you have done.

Even if you did maintain a spreadsheet containing all this you still wouldn’t have it top of mind when todays pop quiz happens, so it does not address the issue.

The other goons are just being goons about it. Mgr is being a mgr.

Dude is also just...not bright. I kind of hate to say it. I know I complain about him a lot. He drives me up a wall sometimes but he's not a bad person or a jerk. Dude's just thick. But also...

fresh_cheese posted:

And happy new year

Same to you!

I have to go into work tomorrow because I was dumb and didn't take inventory before New Year! Gotta check the Maibock temp anyways. I should at least be able to get that done pretty quick!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

I track all our inputs and batch numbers into software that can calculate cost per litre based on packaged yield, track sales and customer/supplier data and calculate excise tax. I’m great at keeping it up to date and maintaining traceability. I need to be because I’m also the point person for our food safety audits and compliance.

If you asked me how much per kilo the 500kg super sack of Pilsner malt cost while I wasn’t at the computer, well I have no fuckin idea, can I email it to you in five minutes?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Shithouse Dave posted:

If you asked me how much per kilo the 500kg super sack of Pilsner malt cost while I wasn’t at the computer, well I have no fuckin idea, can I email it to you in five minutes?

The answer should always be "I emailed you this already why are you speaking to me?"

Of course I know the answer is inevitably my coworker is bad at computer

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
You should combine the bad ideas of this thread and have a whiteboard in the brewery with all the order/processing values on display.
Then talk about how much of a genius you are and get promoted because spreadsheets are still too complex a concept in the year of our lord 2023.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

As soon as you have to scroll more than one direction on a spreadsheet, it's ruined. You will not change my mind.

Ours was easily a single page and just listed:

- What part of the shop the job was in (it was a BIG shop)
- When it was due
- What to do next
- Production notes
- Order of what to work on

It was great and was accessible from any computer in the factory or even on your phone. It was a really efficient and very simple way to plan your work day.

You know what would be better than though? A Big Board like in Dr. Strangelove that you had to update manually and walk across the building 50 yards to go look at. With the added benefit of holding production meetings with no chairs and in a noisy shop! Also, instead of just updating it in the Google doc, now, if you needed to update the job status, you had to move away from your station, drop what you were doing and go change The White Board - brought to you by John the Manager - and that wasn't always practical. Then a CSR or a salesman would inquire about a job and, instead of just pulling it up and saying "we're printing it now", I'd have to say "I don't know" and go look at the stupid board.

Genius!

John really just wanted a Big Board. He a had a vision.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Someone took one of our most frequently used spreadsheets and hosed up all the colour coding to make it ‘look nicer’.

‘Looking nicer’ meant changing everything to one colour but in slightly different shades, instead of the very straightforward to read completely different colours.

I asked if they were colourblind and this was an accessibility thing we’d missed, and if so could we collaborate on making it possible for everyone to read it while maintaining at-a-glance usability, but no, this was strictly an aesthetic choice and management like it because it conforms to the colours in the corporate logo so this is how it’s gotta be now.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

^^^^Haha, oh no. I've never heard of a company mandating a spreadsheet uses the company colors.

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

As soon as you have to scroll more than one direction on a spreadsheet, it's ruined. You will not change my mind.

I really wish I could share my team's Rate Tracking spreadsheet for the sheer Excel Gore on display. Column A is the P/N being tracked, Column B is the company making the part, Column C is the recovery date, Column AH is the person responsible, Column AI is the issue description...

Ever since I joined the team I had wondered why it took 45 seconds to a minute to open a fairly small spreadsheet and only recently noticed the entire alphabet of hidden columns. When I looked at them it appeared that because the format of the sheet had changed multiple times the team had just added new columns and hid the discarded ones, so there's around eight versions of the issue description column, and like a dozen discarded "technical contact" columns. The major difference appears to be color coding and formatting. When I first joined I made an attempt at standardizing the information on each part because each part had different types of data and formatting: One part may have a Work In Process count, others would have that and where in process parts were as well, or instead of the total number, others would skip both and just have due dates and quantities, etc. Just a complete mess. I was told to not bother because we were moving away from the sheet to a new burndown chart that the internal customer just completely rejected despite it being mandated by executive leadership.

I'm now at the point where as much as I abhor that sheet, I only have four more weeks of dealing with the thing. I'll just make my updates and pretend the thing is at all useful.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Buddy, I don't care if I'm "not working" (taking a post New Year's break I said I'd be taking because I have very little to do in the brewery until the 5th) I'm not going to clean the guest taps. Maybe do your danged job and/or delineate!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

8 hours before going back after 2 weeks off, I'm sitting around contemplating since I have less than 90 days left before I'm filing UI for being laid off.

I think the thing I will miss the least about this factory is that I am 6' tall and the entire form factor of the factory is set for 5' tall women, because that was the majority of the staff even after the drawdowns.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

MrQwerty posted:

8 hours before going back after 2 weeks off, I'm sitting around contemplating since I have less than 90 days left before I'm filing UI for being laid off.
Don't wait till you're laid off to file if you've already got a date. A lot of states are still very behind on adjudicating new claims.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Don't wait till you're laid off to file if you've already got a date. A lot of states are still very behind on adjudicating new claims.

I just had to deal with UI here over them investigating me for fraud because I didn't file a looking for work claim the last time I got temp laid off for covid after explicitly claiming a temporary layoff, I'm not super worried atm cuz it was quick

Like 48 hours quick

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

That's because they thought you might be scamming the system. It's a different story if they legitimately have to pay you money.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

idk I've used our UI system for 15 years, had some nightmares, but I don't think I'm allowed to file for UI 3 months in advance

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

History Comes Inside! posted:

no, this was strictly an aesthetic choice and management like it because it conforms to the colours in the corporate logo so this is how it’s gotta be now.

Oh no, time for a tragic "oops, the colours reverted back to how they were before, and now changing things like that is locked!" update to the sheet.

Inform management that while the colours in the corporate logo are lovely and staying on brand is important, the colours in the sheet need to be visually distinct for accessibility reasons.

MrQwerty posted:

idk I've used our UI system for 15 years, had some nightmares, but I don't think I'm allowed to file for UI 3 months in advance

It's still better to check and see when you're allowed to officially file, if you know your last date will be X and you're currently 90 days out from X.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

History Comes Inside! posted:

Someone took one of our most frequently used spreadsheets and hosed up all the colour coding to make it ‘look nicer’.

‘Looking nicer’ meant changing everything to one colour but in slightly different shades, instead of the very straightforward to read completely different colours.

I asked if they were colourblind and this was an accessibility thing we’d missed, and if so could we collaborate on making it possible for everyone to read it while maintaining at-a-glance usability, but no, this was strictly an aesthetic choice and management like it because it conforms to the colours in the corporate logo so this is how it’s gotta be now.

Did ya'll know you can draw arrows and circles and such in Excel? My boss does this to show "this cell" plus "that cell" ---> (but never straight across a row or down column, no. Always at some angle to a random cell = PROFIT.

Mine are boring, but line by line accounting. If you start at the top and work down, you'll get to a final calculated value. Maybe call that Bottom Line or something.

He keeps sending me his budget spreadsheets for project management. I've asked him to just tell me how much %profit he wants and acceptable overhead because his spreadsheets are so very, very bad. But colorful and interesting, in that "basement of serial killer's abode" kind of way.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

pumped up for school posted:

I've asked him to just tell me how much %profit he wants

Lol every year I have to plan out something like 200 GL accounts monthly for a dozen locations which takes 40+ hours then the board just randomly adds like $150k profit that I have to somehow squeeze in.

Can I just get thr number they want up front and work backwards from that? No, because that would not be process driven.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
start planning the accounts to have 300k lower profits?
Cheerfully add on the 150k profits when they ask for it.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Tetrabor posted:

You should combine the bad ideas of this thread and have a whiteboard in the brewery with all the order/processing values on display.
Then talk about how much of a genius you are and get promoted because spreadsheets are still too complex a concept in the year of our lord 2023.

I actually do have a whiteboard in the brewery tracking what beer is in which tank and the latest specific gravity, pH and temperature, as well as whether it’s had yeast harvested, dry hops or whatever. It’s low tech as and I love it. I just take a picture on my phone and update it to the spreadsheet next time I’m at the computer.

It’s also great for bar staff to draw dicks on.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SerthVarnee posted:

start planning the accounts to have 300k lower profits?
Cheerfully add on the 150k profits when they ask for it.

Please stop revealing my planning secrets that have won me accolades

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I could write a lot of posts about our idiot budget process but to summarise: it starts 6 months before the next financial year but it uses estimates of the amounts for the current year to baseline the next one so they are always wrong, it demands total certainty about amounts and timing for things that are so far only theoretical, and it has values stored in at least three different systems, making it almost impossible to see the total numbers you're being asked to confirm.

Then, it also includes an insane model where we take costs for other departments then recharge back to them, leading to a constant headache where you need to make sure both sides match but you can only see one of them.

I hate it so much.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

McGavin posted:

How do you misunderstand something someone wrote so badly that you feel the need to write a dissertation about it?

There's a reason there's like a page or so of people telling him to just make a drat spreadsheet before I posted that. Yes it won't necessarily solve the immediate problem just having the spreadsheet, it's step one of getting it off your back - by trying to drive the guy to use it once it exists or getting someone else as an in-between who has access and who can be the one who relays that info to him when he needs it. And if he just doesn't change after you try to divert him away, then yeah he's seriously a weird rear end in a top hat who just wants you and you alone to memorize it for some reason.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jan 3, 2023

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Edit: NVM. Sorry for further feeding this dumb loving derail.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jan 3, 2023

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Escape From Noise posted:

Edit: NVM. Sorry for further feeding this dumb loving derail.

Have you considered keeping a spreadsheet of replies for easy review?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Motronic posted:

Maybe he doesn't need exact, maybe he's just looking for ballpark figures? Maybe it's expected that when you finish a brew you know how much it cost or the price per finished/saleable liter? You should ask!

None of these are unreasonable requests. He's probably very confused as to how you don't know this. It's basic business and the kind of thing anyone who is selling something they produce needs to know to control costs and set prices. It might even be tax related and a super big deal. Who knows? You could. But you'd have to have that conversation.

You're not just a brewer here: you're the brewing business unit. So this all falls to you.

This isusually not the brewers job unless.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

The Gillman posted:

If you just tell him, he’ll never learn to look at those emails he is cc’d on and record the information when he is reading them

Its this, the rm is too lazy or too stupid to read emails.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

There's a reason there's like a page or so of people telling him to just make a drat spreadsheet before I posted that. Yes it won't necessarily solve the immediate problem just having the spreadsheet, it's step one of getting it off your back - by trying to drive the guy to use it once it exists or getting someone else as an in-between who has access and who can be the one who relays that info to him when he needs it. And if he just doesn't change after you try to divert him away, then yeah he's seriously a weird rear end in a top hat who just wants you and you alone to memorize it for some reason.

Tracking dumb poo poo your bosses might ask about in whatever your spreadsheet equivalent is is also just good practice. My current job involves a lot of updating and maintaining documents (version control etc) and the actual system that they use to manage that poo poo is . . . not great. Way early on I whipped up a super simple spreadsheet of the documents I'm responsible for. We're talking about 8 columns of info, basic poo poo like doc name, revision #, date last revised, current revision status, who we're waiting on for the next revision step (approvals, edits, etc), and a few other office specific extras.

The first time I was asked what the status of a document was and I was able to just pull the answer right then and there my boss looked at me like I was walking on water. And, in fairness, with the terrible system that we officially use to manage this poo poo it would take ~half an hour to figure that poo poo out, maybe 15 minutes if you're one of the old hands who is a wizard with it.*

Basically it's a good idea to track your areas of responsibility and be able to report on them promptly.

It also streamlines crap a lot so you can slack a bunch and still look like an amazing worker.

*the dumb poo poo my work did was get conned into this god awful software for handling this stuff that is somehow less efficient than my suuuuuuper basic excel sheet. Now, in fairness, I'm sure there are reasons why they had to do it this way, mostly due to the scale of the operation and things like audit paper trails but good goddamn.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s hard to walk the line between ‘worker who tells everyone to gently caress off and check for themselves because it’s technically not their responsibility’ and ‘worker who just goes ahead and gets that done because it makes life easier’.

If you do the latter people will say you’re kissing rear end and/or working too much like a sucker, but if you do too much of the former people will say you’re just being difficult and should probably stop being a pain in the rear end because nobody likes that guy except for the combative online people who live and die by the ‘jobs aren’t your friend you should be bilking every single penny you can out of them for the least amount of work possible’ line taken as po-faced and seriously as possible.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Azuth0667 posted:

This isusually not the brewers job unless.

Unless you're the only employee in the brewery and nobody else can reasonably know things like "which of these things on these orders went into which beer and how much of them" and "how much product did this end up making".

My specific examples will get argued because we're getting 1/4 of one side of a story....which seems to get more information strung in as criticism is made. It sounds like he's in a bad spot of not being given clear expectation and not having the experience to document, negotiate what is reasonable for his position and what is not and call out his employer on these things. Plus seeming a bunch of cultural stuff and failing at the fit in or gently caress off game.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 3, 2023

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Shithouse Dave posted:

It’s also great for bar staff to draw dicks on.

Barudak posted:

Please stop revealing my planning secrets that have won me accolades

I mentally combined these two posts and :wow:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Mildly interesting how the week after Christmas most of the US employees of my MegaCorp appear to be on vacation but our Canada branches are full steam ahead. At first I thought it was a Canadian thanksgiving thing but that’s not the case.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Okay. Fine. I'll lay this out again:

1. I never refused to help this guy find information.
2. I never refused to share recipe information.
3. I did not refuse to work with the restaurant manager to better understand the minutae of the loving recipe.
4. Literally all that happened was a few times he'd come up to me out of nowhere and suddenly ask me "What is the price per kg or gram of this specific malt or hop in the recipe you just submitted?" and I would reply that I didn't know that off the top of my head, because I don't have the exact price per weight of the several varieties of malt and hops per g/kg. His reply was to ask why I hadn't
5. I literally said that him doing this didn't make me angry, it was just really odd to me.
6. There
7. Is
8. A
9. Spreadsheet
10. I never refused to take care of this part of the process myself.
11. I never refused to help with any information on volumes of ingredients used, fermentation times, amount kegged, in what size, etc.
12. There is a spreadsheet.
13. I never said it wasn't my job.

I don't know where everyone keeps getting the idea that I told him to gently caress off and not talk to me or told him it wasn't my job to do this.

Edit: The reason I don't "just quit" is down to a few reasons such as my visa is up for renewal in March, not wanting to move again for various reasons, not having anything new lined up, etc. There's also a lot of things about this job I like such as my ability to plan my own schedule, come in and leave basically whenever I want in as long as I deliver, complete control over brewery processes, getting to do things that interest me, etc. I get along with the majority of my coworkers and even this guy is just more irritating sometimes because of how slow and incompetent he is (I'm not the only person who complains about this. This is the same guy who turned the cold room into a gas chamber just letting out the contents of two CO2 canisters into it).

To summarize: I just thought it was odd that this guy expected me to recall specific prices at the time of ordering immediately apon being asked.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 3, 2023

kru
Oct 5, 2003

loving hell, it is tracked!
The boss just wants him to have instant recall of random figures from a spreadsheet that he already has access to.

IN ANY other workplace, you'd do the exact same thing 'I do not have that information to hand, let me mail you it'

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

kru posted:

loving hell, it is tracked!
The boss just wants him to have instant recall of random figures from a spreadsheet that he already has access to.

IN ANY other workplace, you'd do the exact same thing 'I do not have that information to hand, let me mail you it'

Fortunately, he's not my boss.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Fortunately, he's not my boss.

How much did you pay for 2 gallons of milk, 6 months ago when you were in Walmart?

Answer quickly, I need to know.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

kru posted:

How much did you pay for 2 gallons of milk, 6 months ago when you were in Walmart?

Answer quickly, I need to know.

I refuse to answer this or provide a receipt as this is "not my job" as I have stated multiple times before this and furthermore...

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Dumb poo poo your work does - There. Is. A. Spreadsheet.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Dumb Spreadsheets Your Work Ignores

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

I refuse to answer this or provide a receipt as this is "not my job" as I have stated multiple times before this and furthermore...

This is an admiralty thread, as you can see by the gold fringe on the page. I am a free shitposter traveling, you can't detain me with financial trivia and

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Okay. Fine. I'll lay this out again:

1. I never refused to help this guy find information.
2. I never refused to share recipe information.
3. I did not refuse to work with the restaurant manager to better understand the minutae of the loving recipe.
4. Literally all that happened was a few times he'd come up to me out of nowhere and suddenly ask me "What is the price per kg or gram of this specific malt or hop in the recipe you just submitted?" and I would reply that I didn't know that off the top of my head, because I don't have the exact price per weight of the several varieties of malt and hops per g/kg. His reply was to ask why I hadn't
5. I literally said that him doing this didn't make me angry, it was just really odd to me.
6. There
7. Is
8. A
9. Spreadsheet
10. I never refused to take care of this part of the process myself.
11. I never refused to help with any information on volumes of ingredients used, fermentation times, amount kegged, in what size, etc.
12. There is a spreadsheet.
13. I never said it wasn't my job.

I don't know where everyone keeps getting the idea that I told him to gently caress off and not talk to me or told him it wasn't my job to do this.

Edit: The reason I don't "just quit" is down to a few reasons such as my visa is up for renewal in March, not wanting to move again for various reasons, not having anything new lined up, etc. There's also a lot of things about this job I like such as my ability to plan my own schedule, come in and leave basically whenever I want in as long as I deliver, complete control over brewery processes, getting to do things that interest me, etc. I get along with the majority of my coworkers and even this guy is just more irritating sometimes because of how slow and incompetent he is (I'm not the only person who complains about this. This is the same guy who turned the cold room into a gas chamber just letting out the contents of two CO2 canisters into it).

To summarize: I just thought it was odd that this guy expected me to recall specific prices at the time of ordering immediately apon being asked.

works dumb.... keep posting about your brewing job though.. as a not professional brewer I like reading about htintgs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

What part of the brewing process is this?