Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

After meeting Dio, Aikanu is obsessed with killing the 36 most evil pirates in a specific ritual so he can Reach Heaven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Bisse posted:

After meeting D. Io, Aikanu is obsessed with killing the 36 most evil pirates in a specific ritual so he can Reach Heaven.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Supersonic Shine posted:

Akainu being a divorced dad sounds right to me.

He'll be the one dad who doesn't want to reunite with his kid. The ultimate one piece villain.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Nuebot posted:

He'll be the one dad who wants to reunite with his kid. The ultimate one piece villain.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Nuebot posted:

He'll be the one dad who doesn't want to reunite with his kid. The ultimate one piece villain.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
New theory:

Gol. D. Roger is either Rox's son or brother or some other close relation.

Because Gol. D. Rox would be an all-time comedy brick joke name.

We have Kuma, Beppo...who is the third bear? Who has the porridge that is just right?

Desumaytah fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 3, 2023

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Desumaytah posted:

New theory:

Because Gol. D. Rox would an all-time comedy brick joke name.

We have Kuma, Beppo...who is the third bear? Who has the porridge that is just right?

Man it would suck to be Oda and have that planned only to find out Dragon Quest beat you to it years ago

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
More than one story can reference the bear story.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Desumaytah posted:

More than one story can reference the bear story.

'fraid not.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Len posted:

Man it would suck to be Oda and have that planned only to find out Dragon Quest beat you to it years ago

One Piece Odyssey is the first step in a long term plan by Oda to take control of the Dragon Quest Universe for revenge.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

One Piece Odyssey is the first step in a long term plan by Oda to take control of the Dragon Quest Universe for revenge.

I’m just going to say it - Oda draws a better tongue than Toriyama.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

We have Dragon Quest, Yakuza Dragon Quest (Like A Dragon), and very soon One Piece Dragon Quest. More like Dragon Quest is taking control of other universes :twisted:

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Which is unfortunate as the Dragon Quest parts suck. Yakuza LAD becomes boring combat wise long before it ends. Same with DQ10.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

New Theory:
They fed the Human Human no Mi to some Lava, and that's how Akainu was born

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
human human no mi: model margaritaville

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I think Akainu's progression is amazing. The most brutal and enthusiastic marine enforcer promoted to a position where he can see how impossible and stupid this world governance actually is.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's kinda like Naruto becoming Hokage and realizing that being a government leader is mostly paperwork.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I would play a dragon quest game where they replaced Toryiama's style with Oda's.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Is the joke that thats what odyssey is

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Desumaytah posted:

New theory:

Because Gol. D. Rox would be an all-time comedy brick joke name.

Pandaman.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Waffleman_ posted:

It's kinda like Naruto becoming Hokage and realizing that being a government leader is mostly paperwork.

Still funny that instead of having all his thousands of clones doing all the poo poo parts of the job, instead decided to send clones to his kids' birthday parties while the real him did paperwork.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
even if he only used clones while he was in the office, he could still easily get through all of his paperwork in a matter of minutes. but i guess if he wasn't an absentee dad bort would have to grow a personality.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The actual answer to the clone thing is that when he calls them back, he gains all thir new knowledge and exhaustion. So, sure, he could get hundreds of hours of work done in half a day, but then he'd pass the gently caress out for three days. It's how he mastered the wind stuff with Kakashi. A convoluted system of every clone writing down digestible notes of their work and then committing suicide could work, but you're basically trying to create a whole governmental system based around shadow clones, which doesn't lend itself to a comic book for teens.

It is absolutely hilarious how in the movie he thought that sending a clone to his daughter's party was the better option, though. Double awesome/hosed up that the daughter isn't like bawling her eyes out or horrified, she's just bummed out and disappointed. The point of that scene is that she kinda expected it and it's Boruto who gets big emotions out of it. She's just used to the BS.

e: also this is break week, right? or double break week? looks like official chapter release is on friday, and i'm not sure when to expect the next chapter :(

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 3, 2023

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he doesn't gain their fatigue. that was never how it worked. it fatigues him to absorb large numbers of clones that have unique knowledge, but that's only large numbers. short term clones and smaller numbers of clones never had any adverse effects.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

MorningMoon posted:

The actual answer to the clone thing is that when he calls them back, he gains all thir new knowledge and exhaustion. So, sure, he could get hundreds of hours of work done in half a day, but then he'd pass the gently caress out for three days. It's how he mastered the wind stuff with Kakashi. A convoluted system of every clone writing down digestible notes of their work and then committing suicide could work, but you're basically trying to create a whole governmental system based around shadow clones, which doesn't lend itself to a comic book for teens.

It is absolutely hilarious how in the movie he thought that sending a clone to his daughter's party was the better option, though. Double awesome/hosed up that the daughter isn't like bawling her eyes out or horrified, she's just bummed out and disappointed. The point of that scene is that she kinda expected it and it's Boruto who gets big emotions out of it. She's just used to the BS.

e: also this is break week, right? or double break week? looks like official chapter release is on friday, and i'm not sure when to expect the next chapter :(

This is a "break week" for us, because we got this week's chapter last week, yeah. We might get it early next week, but who knows, depends on the logistics of stealing manga chapters.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

he doesn't gain their fatigue. that was never how it worked. it fatigues him to absorb large numbers of clones that have unique knowledge, but that's only large numbers. short term clones and smaller numbers of clones never had any adverse effects.

When Kakashi explains it, he says the clone's knowledge and experience is added to his memory banks. Naruto never really notices it on standard use because his charka and stamina are so massive, and it takes a thousand clones training together to really put him out. That's in the context of learning how to punch harder and just punching people in general. The mental stress of government paperwork should break down Naruto a lot faster than that, so clones should tire him way harder despite all his chakra.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I'm going to go out on a limb and argue that figuring out a lop level magic move that only like 3 people can do is way more mentally straining than signing documents and reading reports.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he doesn't have to use a thousand or even a hundred clones, though. 10 clones are nothing to him, and they'd allow him to do a day's work in an hour. the real reason is that bort's entire character is based on having an absentee father. if his father wasn't actually absent, then bort would be an unbelievable little poo poo no one likes. so instead, endless paperwork despite how little sense that makes.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Consider: paperwork loving sucks

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
But can the clones poop?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

he doesn't have to use a thousand or even a hundred clones, though. 10 clones are nothing to him, and they'd allow him to do a day's work in an hour. the real reason is that bort's entire character is based on having an absentee father. if his father wasn't actually absent, then bort would be an unbelievable little poo poo no one likes. so instead, endless paperwork despite how little sense that makes.

Bort IS an unbelievable poo poo.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
break week is rough huh

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Supremezero posted:

Bort IS an unbelievable poo poo.

"You know what would make a great sequel protagonist? The son of my old protagonist that has inherited neither of his parents's unique abilities and acts like an entitled rear end in a top hat with daddy issues despite having the best parents in the setting and being the luckiest, most naturally talented kid alive!"

Man, imagine if Kishimoto hadn't forgotten to give the kid his Byakugan.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

He has better Byakugan tho?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Gyges posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb and argue that figuring out a lop level magic move that only like 3 people can do is way more mentally straining than signing documents and reading reports.

Shadow Clone is hilariously easy to perform, the reason so few people know it is you can kill yourself doing it really easily. Specifically the thousand man version Naruto actually learns is forbidden because if you son't have enough Chakra to split evenly between each clone you flat out kill yourself instantly with Chakra Exhaustion.

The fact that doing the jutsu itself is so easy for such a potentially fatal cost is why it's in the forbidden scroll.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And I believe the main reason Naruto could pull it off is because he had like so much fuckin' chakra from the drat fox.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

And I believe the main reason Naruto could pull it off is because he had like so much fuckin' chakra from the drat fox.

Nah, he didnt tap into that until later. That's just natural Uzumaki genes. Kakashi said it was about double his own IIRC.

e: Looked it up. Later on he states around 100 times with the fox's chakra. Without the Fox it's around 4 (changed from 2) times in the volume.

Kild fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 4, 2023

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Kild posted:

Nah, he didnt tap into that until later. That's just natural Uzumaki genes. Kakashi said it was about double his own IIRC.

Didn't Kishimoto say in an interview that his feat in Chapter 1 was still thanks to Kurama?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Lord_Magmar posted:

Shadow Clone is hilariously easy to perform, the reason so few people know it is you can kill yourself doing it really easily. Specifically the thousand man version Naruto actually learns is forbidden because if you son't have enough Chakra to split evenly between each clone you flat out kill yourself instantly with Chakra Exhaustion.

The fact that doing the jutsu itself is so easy for such a potentially fatal cost is why it's in the forbidden scroll.

We were talking about that time that he used thousands of clones to brute force learn a jutsu with Kakashi. Which was when we found out that Naruto is so loving stupid that he never noticed the massive info dumps he was getting during his years of summoning and unsummoning the population of a small city at a time.

Like, it ended up being a good expansion of the technique that each clone can be used for recon and knowledge expansion. However it makes very little sense with how clones were used and presented before that. Even if you don't have the chakra to mass clone, a single clone going on a "suicide" mission could get so much intel that there's no possible way to see it other than everyone is a dumbass for not doings so before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Gyges posted:

We were talking about that time that he used thousands of clones to brute force learn a jutsu with Kakashi. Which was when we found out that Naruto is so loving stupid that he never noticed the massive info dumps he was getting during his years of summoning and unsummoning the population of a small city at a time.

Like, it ended up being a good expansion of the technique that each clone can be used for recon and knowledge expansion. However it makes very little sense with how clones were used and presented before that. Even if you don't have the chakra to mass clone, a single clone going on a "suicide" mission could get so much intel that there's no possible way to see it other than everyone is a dumbass for not doings so before.

Even just one clone halves your chakra and is potentially fatal for some ninja, and makes you significantly more vulnerable if you send it out as a scout instead of using it as an additional fighter.

Also, we don't really see many Ninja who use the technique, but I feel like the one person scputing thing did happen with at least Kakashi or Itachi once.

It also could totally fail to get any informtation since they die to any amount of physical damage.