Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Excellent opinions for me to think about thank you. One other thing, can you say in other words how well Studio Display competes in the ~$1600 - 2000 USD or so space? Any tilt/height VESA situation I would hope is common at that price point.

e: :page3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Inner Light posted:

Excellent opinions for me to think about thank you. One other thing, can you say in other words how well Studio Display competes in the ~$1600 - 2000 USD or so space? Any tilt/height VESA situation I would hope is common at that price point.

e: :page3:

You have to pay extra for height adjustment on the studio display. Or you can get it standless for use with a vesa mount but that’s an option you need to decide at purchase.

As said, nothing else really competes because nothing else is 5k (at least until that recently announced Samsung monitor comes out). For picture quality and all that it’s very good. Build quality is excellent.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 4, 2023

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

The Lord Bude posted:

Can’t speak for the XDR because something like that is way outside of my needs and budget but I was under the impression that when it came out it was actually significantly undercutting existing monitors in the use cases for which it was intended.

IIRC the Pro Display XDR reviews said it wasn't quite a full replacement for the ~$40-50K reference monitors Apple compared it to, but if you could live with its limitations it was a great budget option. Which is a very weird way to describe a $5K monitor which forces you to spend an additional $200 on a VESA adapter or $1K on a desk stand.

I don't think it's a good idea to buy one today, only because it uses the first generation of Apple's local-dimming LED backlight technology. Its backlight LED array uses only 576 LEDs to light up 20.3 million pixels. The much more recent XDR display built into the 16" M1 MacBook Pro has ~10000 mini-LEDs lighting about 7.7 MP. That works out to one LED per 35000 pixels and one LED per 770 pixels, respectively. This makes it much harder for the Pro Display XDR to keep blooming and other artifacts of zoned backlighting under control.

It probably still makes sense in some professional contexts, especially for corporate purchasing departments. However, if I was a freelance artist, it would feel bad buying one right now. If Apple's going to continue offering products in this category, it's due for a refresh with a much better backlight (and probably more).

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

BobHoward posted:

IIRC the Pro Display XDR reviews said it wasn't quite a full replacement for the ~$40-50K reference monitors Apple compared it to, but if you could live with its limitations it was a great budget option. Which is a very weird way to describe a $5K monitor which forces you to spend an additional $200 on a VESA adapter or $1K on a desk stand.

I don't think it's a good idea to buy one today, only because it uses the first generation of Apple's local-dimming LED backlight technology. Its backlight LED array uses only 576 LEDs to light up 20.3 million pixels. The much more recent XDR display built into the 16" M1 MacBook Pro has ~10000 mini-LEDs lighting about 7.7 MP. That works out to one LED per 35000 pixels and one LED per 770 pixels, respectively. This makes it much harder for the Pro Display XDR to keep blooming and other artifacts of zoned backlighting under control.

It probably still makes sense in some professional contexts, especially for corporate purchasing departments. However, if I was a freelance artist, it would feel bad buying one right now. If Apple's going to continue offering products in this category, it's due for a refresh with a much better backlight (and probably more).

I agree. And rumour has it there are several new Apple monitors on the horizon.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

BobHoward posted:

It’s gorgeous though. I remember seeing it for the first time with the Mac Pro at a Microcenter, looking like a piece of architecture.

For a split second I wondered if I could manage to write one off

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

I agree. And rumour has it there are several new Apple monitors on the horizon.

link?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

https://www.macrumors.com/2022/12/18/updated-pro-display-xdr-gurman/

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
Technically this is a hardware gripe:

I have an Apple Card account that I used to buy a laptop online. I would like to use the card for other things, but the card only works with Apple Wallet and I don't have an iPhone. So I would like a physical card. But you can only get a physical card...if you have an iPhone.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Looks like it’s time to buy an iPhone.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Speaking of high-res monitors, Dell also announced a 32 inch 6K for release later this year.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/01/dells-new-ultrasharp-monitor-is-a-6k-powerhouse-for-pros/

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

kefkafloyd posted:

Speaking of high-res monitors, Dell also announced a 32 inch 6K for release later this year.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/01/dells-new-ultrasharp-monitor-is-a-6k-powerhouse-for-pros/

Yes I linked this very article a page ago.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

T Zero posted:

Technically this is a hardware gripe:

I have an Apple Card account that I used to buy a laptop online. I would like to use the card for other things, but the card only works with Apple Wallet and I don't have an iPhone. So I would like a physical card. But you can only get a physical card...if you have an iPhone.

Maybe you should get an iPhone. iPhones are pretty good. I switched in 2017 from a Nexus 5x to the 2016 iPhone SE. The SE was a much better phone for me and was a huge upgrade.

I’m still using the SE after getting a new battery a few years ago. It’s a great phone and still gets security updates.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Inner Light posted:

What's the closest competitor to the gold standard Apple displays these days (Studio, Pro XDR?)? Are there any models substantially cheaper that are 80, 90% the quality or something like that?

I am open to 27" - 35" or something in that area. Probably closer to 27.

If you want a 5K display there's only 1 other option, the previously existing LG 5K. It's very comparable since it looks like the same panel with an every so slightly dimmer backlight IIRC.

The new samsung 27" 5K sounds like it'll be very comparable but there's no firm release date or pricing. My bet would be around the LG $1299 price.

If you're open to 4K 27" I think there's some OLEDs and micro LEDs in the $2k-3.5k price range?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

MrBond posted:

If you're open to 4K 27" I think there's some OLEDs and micro LEDs in the $2k-3.5k price range?

If you’re gonna do 4K 27” I wouldn’t spend more than like $650 on a nice DELL UltraSharp—and those regularly drop below $500

Once you’re in like “$2-3.5k for a display” range you’re probably in the target demographic for an XDR

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

The Lord Bude posted:

Yes I linked this very article a page ago.

I thought it was only the samsung that was linked earlier, I had scrolled back and everything. Apologies. :doh:

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 4, 2023

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Ok Comboomer posted:

If you’re gonna do 4K 27” I wouldn’t spend more than like $650 on a nice DELL UltraSharp—and those regularly drop below $500

Once you’re in like “$2-3.5k for a display” range you’re probably in the target demographic for an XDR

I mean *I* personally wouldn't and did something similar myself, but if you're an image quality is best type then miniLED and OLED are interesting. The monitor thread is probably better for really exploring the options there though. I just look at text and don't game on a monitor so I don't pay much attention to those.

the verge got hands on time with the samsung 5K. Seems fine enough? Pricing is the real big question mark though. https://www.theverge.com/2023/1/4/23538534/samsung-viewfinity-s9-5k-monitor-first-look-preview-apple-studio-display

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

MrBond posted:

the verge got hands on time with the samsung 5K. Seems fine enough? Pricing is the real big question mark though. https://www.theverge.com/2023/1/4/23538534/samsung-viewfinity-s9-5k-monitor-first-look-preview-apple-studio-display

quote:

And you get plenty of I/O around back: I count one Thunderbolt 4 port, three USB-C ports, and DisplayPort.

mashallah! 👏🏼

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
After a lot of thought, and trying out the LG 5K at work, I eventually just ponied up for the Mac monitor. The real reason is that I do a lot of UX/UI design, a lot of it has light greys, and the grey changing colour slightly between retina Mac and the screen just drove me up the wall. So I got the Mac monitor and: yes. It’s almost certainly overpriced if you just base it on the components. But for me personally, and I stress that, I could never, ever get the calibration of other brands of monitors exact so that the transition between MacBook and external monitor was seamless, and for that I’ll take it.

I also wanted to run my Macbook exclusively in clamshell mode, and the whole speakers/mic/camera just existing seamlessly in the monitor was a plus.

I’m obviously a sample size of one, but I think it looks great and it satisfies the exact thing I wanted satisfied, which is an identical colour space and a plug-and-play set up for the MacBooks in my house (wife and I have both a personal and a work one each).

It Just Works. No fuss. Your mileage will vary.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Yeah it’s p good. Glad you’ve got what you need.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Jeherrin posted:

After a lot of thought, and trying out the LG 5K at work, I eventually just ponied up for the Mac monitor. The real reason is that I do a lot of UX/UI design, a lot of it has light greys, and the grey changing colour slightly between retina Mac and the screen just drove me up the wall.

I will chime in as a LG 5K haver. The LG was the only 5K 27" on the market when I decided to switch from a 27" iMac to a M1 MBP with an external monitor. I picked one up because the internet thinks it uses approximately the same LCD panel as the 27" iMac (LG supplied that panel to Apple, after all), and was disappointed to find out that it's all a step below Apple. I knew going in that things like the speakers and webcam wouldn't be as good, but like you I also noticed deficiencies in basic LCD quality - color quality, AR coating, off-axis uniformity, backlight bleed, it's all worse.

Don't get me wrong, the LG isn't trash tier. I still have mine, I just wish there had been other options when I bought it. Hopefully these new entrants popularize 5K 27" outside of the Mac world, compete better with Apple's quality level, and drive prices down.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
I’ve now had several weeks with my Studio Display, and while expensive, I certainly know where the money went. It was $1600; I think about $200 of that is the logo on the back. The rest is all features & build quality. It’s a hell of a monitor. Yes, it was a business expense, but I own the business so I wasn’t spending somebody else’s money. In retrospect I’m not sure why so many people poo poo their pants over the price. Ahhhh actually that’s not true. It’s because most people would never consider spending $1600 on any monitor, ever, regardless of quality.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Lincoln posted:

I’ve now had several weeks with my Studio Display, and while expensive, I certainly know where the money went. It was $1600; I think about $200 of that is the logo on the back. The rest is all features & build quality. It’s a hell of a monitor. Yes, it was a business expense, but I own the business so I wasn’t spending somebody else’s money. In retrospect I’m not sure why so many people poo poo their pants over the price. Ahhhh actually that’s not true. It’s because most people would never consider spending $1600 on any monitor, ever, regardless of quality.

Not true. Pro Display XDR is pricey and people rightly made fun of the price tag on the “accessory” stand, but it seems like it’s worth it and truly brings something to the table that- at least for now- nobody else really offers.

The problem with the Studio Display’s price tag is that it’s an extremely imperfect device with a refresh rate that’s embarrassingly low both for its price point and for its target demographic of creative prosumers. It should be at least 120hz. It should have ProMotion, if iPhones and iPads and MacBooks Pro have ProMotion.

it’s deliberately limited in its I/O in a way that makes it frustrating for many professionals and home users alike. Why can’t you connect more than one device to it? Why can’t you AirPlay to it? In my setup, it would be a pain to use, and it would require me to have other displays that I might not otherwise need.

it costs a lot in part because it has some much-ballyhooed expensive hardware inside of it—which is woefully underutilized, limited to the most basic of webcam tasks (which it couldn’t even do right at launch). You have an iPhone in there, with an A-Series and a neural engine, largely eating up cost.

A lot of us remember when iMacs would come with 27” 5K displays for roughly the same price as this monitor. Those were also really well built and high-quality. They were also made of aluminum and glass. And they came with a whole 8-core desktop computer inside of them. Those halcyon salad days of 2019. You could get one with a dGPU for like $1900. Now you get the display for $1600.

A lot of us would pay $1600 for a monitor, but not for that monitor. When DELL announces that the price on their incoming 6K display is $1600, I’ll buy two.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 5, 2023

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

Why can’t you connect more than one device to it?

because apple

they didn't want to ruin the ~aesthetics~ by having display port or hdmi

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Unsurprisingly we are back at the usual flame wars about Apple Displays.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

Unsurprisingly we are back at the usual flame wars about Apple Displays.

nobody’s flaming anybody. Somebody made a statement I thought was untrue and I disagreed. Chill, this is a thread for discussing Apple products.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
5k @ 120Hz is 32 Gb/s in bandwidth, TB tops out at 30 Gb/s for display use.

For anyone to offer 5k @ 120Hz it would have to be over DP2.1

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Ok Comboomer posted:

nobody’s flaming anybody. Somebody made a statement I thought was untrue and I disagreed. Chill, this is a thread for discussing Apple products.

I think the only bit of your post I really disagree with—and again, sample size of one—is the refresh rate. I’m doing static stuff; ux/ui design work. I don’t need 120Hz refresh rates for that. 60 is fine. What it does better than any other display is the gamut matching, and for me it’s worth that.

Of course, video work is a key thing they want to support for CrEaTiVeS, and I can see how it might be frustrating for that? But then again I don’t do that work so I don’t know if it’s really a blocker or if it’s just ‘big number must be better’.

I also don’t need more than one av source plugged into it. I’d love it if you could airplay to it, though, or just pair BT peripherals to it permanently regardless of computer plugged in. That would rule.

Horses for courses. I can see not replacing it for many years.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

120Hz is really nice even for basic desktop stuff

Just the simple act of moving the mouse cursor is so much easier on the eyes

These are pretty basic things to have for a fancy monitor. They’re standard on much cheaper ones.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Not in a 5K monitor it’s not.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Time to offer something magical and revolutionary then

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

you mean resolutionary?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Lincoln posted:

it's because it could have been made in like 2013. it's a fine monitor but apple could have and should have been more ambitious. i would have paid more than $1600 if it had

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Apple spent almost ten years selling 5K iMacs, and now they want people to pay iMac money for (what is in use) just the display, and they can’t even make it appreciably better than the years-old display(s) that it replaces in order to justify the price.

If the technology isn’t there yet to increase the refresh rate or move the envelope in other ways then that’s understandable, but they still should’ve charged a lot less for it. It feels insulting to charge $1600 for a monitor when $1700 used to get you an iMac with what is, at least in perception, a very similar panel.

Saying “it’s only $300 more expensive than the old LG display, with notably nicer construction” doesn’t mean that much, because the $1300 LG display wasn’t considered a particularly good value in 2015 either.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 5, 2023

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I get that people like 120hz for a lot of reasons, but none of the fancy monitors for creatives I regularly encounter do more than 60hz either. Seems like more of a tv/video game thing? I do like it on my MacBook Pro and I’m not saying it wouldn’t be great, but it doesn’t seem like something that’s a given for that kinda monitor.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It’s good for Professionals but not for Creatives I guess

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
Studio Display gets a 6.5/10 overall and a 0/10 for value.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just spent $1600 on a 7” 1080p monitor, the studio display has a whole 20 more inches and 3 more k seems like a great value to me.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

powderific posted:

I just spent $1600 on a 7” 1080p monitor, the studio display has a whole 20 more inches and 3 more k seems like a great value to me.

This is bait. But I’m biting. The hz issue isn’t what most people - myself included - were disappointed about. Most ‘professionals’ know that 5k 120hz is a stretch. Your specific ‘my friend buys Sony reference monitors for 8k’ or w/e is irrelevant.

The lack of all the other I/O features, its mediocre panel, no HDR 1k NIT, are all possible. At the same time if you need 5k it’s the only game in town and is a good monitor, just not good value imho. I’d rather have 2 4K 120hz 1000 NIT HDR 10 displays for less.

I’m only chiming in because you used the words ‘great value’. It isn’t.

E; and holy gently caress I swear I will never post about that god drat monitor again. I would delete this if it wasn’t cowardly.

Hey uh, I WAS PLAYING VIDEO GAMES ON MY MAC TODAY!

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jan 6, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

squirrelzipper posted:

This is bait. But I’m biting. The hz issue isn’t what most people - myself included - were disappointed about. Most ‘professionals’ know that 5k 120hz is a stretch. Your specific ‘my friend buys Sony reference monitors for 8k’ or w/e is irrelevant.

The lack of all the other I/O features, its mediocre panel, no HDR 1k NIT, are all possible. At the same time if you need 5k it’s the only game in town and is a good monitor, just not good value imho. I’d rather have 2 4K 120hz 1000 NIT HDR 10 displays for less.

I’m only chiming in because you used the words ‘great value’. It isn’t.

E; and holy gently caress I swear I will never post about that god drat monitor again. I would delete this if it wasn’t cowardly.

Hey uh, I WAS PLAYING VIDEO GAMES ON MY MAC TODAY!

pretty sure powderific was being facetious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

pretty sure powderific was being facetious
Huh. gently caress. I’ve literally heard that argument in person but you’re probably right. I did think the 7” but was odd. I’m still never discussing ‘the product’ ever again.

On a different topic I got a stream deck for Xmas - I don’t stream - but it’s a super fun macro deck with picture keys and I highly recommend it if you have a gift card you have to use up or something.