Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

So the first Vinegar Syndrome Labs title is Flesh and Fantasy.

quote:

One of the first horror anthology films made by an American studio – and two years before DEAD OF NIGHT – award-winning director Julien Duvivier (PÉPÉ LE MOKO) delivers FLESH AND FANTASY, three strange and at times surreal stories of the supernatural with an all-star cast that includes Edward G. Robinson (Soylent Green), Barbara Stanwyck (Double Indemnity), and Charles Boyer (Gaslight), who also co-produced. Stunningly photographed by Oscar® winner Stanley Cortez (THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS, THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER) and lushly scored by Oscar® nominee Alexander Tansman, Vinegar Syndrome Labs presents the Blu-ray debut of this landmark in 1940s genre filmmaking, newly restored in 2K and featuring insightful critical appreciations along with rare archival materials.

A very interesting new lane for VS, sounds like a solid blind buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Yeah I saw that title and immediately wrote it off at first, but I’m extremely down for VS diving into obscure 40s horror.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

bone emulator posted:

What is the current "I just got a new TV and check this poo poo out" movie? I basically want the best looking UHD movie

Godzilla vs Kong for new film, Vertigo for old.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
2001 or The Shining also look fantastic.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Godzilla vs. Kong actually got a 4k intermediate instead of 2k upscaled, which is pretty rare for that type of big CG special effects driven movie with giant monsters stomping around. Like, yea you have stuff like Top Gun Maverick as well but for the kind of movie that Godzilla vs. Kong is, it's rare to get it in legit 4k instead of upscaled.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Basebf555 posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Godzilla vs. Kong actually got a 4k intermediate instead of 2k upscaled, which is pretty rare for that type of big CG special effects driven movie with giant monsters stomping around.
That's true up to a point, but studios caught on a couple years ago and are finishing up in 4K and beyond. It's still pretty wild there's this looooong stretch of time where 2Ks are the highest you're gonna get once digital editing comes in.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
This VSL release looks to be right up my alley!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The screenshots are super cool

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Today's VS 10 for $10:

Champagne for Breakfast, Deathrow Gameshow, Zombie Island Massacre, Amityville Dollhouse, Shallow Grave, Assholes, The Monster of Camp Sunshine & Honeymoon of Terror, Master of the World, Scary of Sixty First and Blood on Her Name

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
anything in that list worth picking up

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

worms butthole guy posted:

anything in that list worth picking up

I'd say Shallow Grave if you just get one.

Scary of Sixty First is still overpriced IMHO

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Yeah Shallow Grave looks like a regular slasher but turns out to be a surprisingly solid thriller

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
wow that was the one I was considering anyways cool

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Shallow Grave is great, Deathrow Gameshow is pure cheese and a good midnite movie and I'm intrigued by Blood On Her Name. Might pick that up.

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008

Chris James 2 posted:

Today's VS 10 for $10:

Assholes,

Has anyone seen this one? It sounds like it might be interesting or one of the most insufferable pieces of garbage ever.

I'm thinking of getting Shallow Grave and want to add at least one more to justify the shipping cost.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=31911

Good alternative to the Steelbooks.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Boywhiz88 posted:

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=31911

Good alternative to the Steelbooks.

Kinda thought that would be about a new kind of case made out of wood or porcelain or something.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Lumbermouth posted:

So the first Vinegar Syndrome Labs title is Flesh and Fantasy.

A very interesting new lane for VS, sounds like a solid blind buy.

Wait, they're finally doing a film that would actually be susceptible to vinegar syndrome, and they're making it part of a new line?

You're Vinegar Syndrome, it's not experimental to do a nitrate film, it's literally what you're named for!!

Edit: Commence the race to be the first to tell me which nitrate films they've released before

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Man I'm tired of Arrow's bullshit. First the packaging for Sailor Suit and Machine Gun promises zaniness for a movie that is not very zany at all, then the packaging for The Sacred Spirit promises a trippy sci-fi story for a movie that is EXTREMELY not that.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

Homeybeef posted:

Has anyone seen this one? It sounds like it might be interesting or one of the most insufferable pieces of garbage ever.

I'm thinking of getting Shallow Grave and want to add at least one more to justify the shipping cost.

I remember seeing it at a film festival years ago and thinking it was pretty good.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Gripweed posted:

Man I'm tired of Arrow's bullshit. First the packaging for Sailor Suit and Machine Gun promises zaniness for a movie that is not very zany at all, then the packaging for The Sacred Spirit promises a trippy sci-fi story for a movie that is EXTREMELY not that.

That’s why I try to watch the trailers. They can be misleading as well, but there has been plenty of movies that had awful case art but were actually really awesome and Vice versa.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The Criterion UHD for The Adventures of Baron Munchausen is excellent, although I have to throw in the caveat that I don't know the film well enough to notice if there's some sort of Criterionesque shenanigans going on with color grading or something like that. But as someone who hadn't seen the film for at least ten years, it looks great to me.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
New VS 10 for $10:
Gameshow Models
Star Virgin
Shot
Amityville: It’s About Time
The Leather Boys
Blades
TC 2000
Steel and Lace
Being Natural
Ode to Nothing

I’d recommend TC 2000 and Steel and Lace out of this bunch. TC is fun action schlock with Billy Blanks and Bolo Yueng fighting a Picasso-themed bad guy in a garbage future. Steel and Lace is a surprisingly decent twist on a rape-revenge film (luckily they never show the actual rape, just the moments leading up to it) with some fun kills.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
TC2000 is such a good bad movie, great buy

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Basebf555 posted:

The Criterion UHD for The Adventures of Baron Munchausen is excellent, although I have to throw in the caveat that I don't know the film well enough to notice if there's some sort of Criterionesque shenanigans going on with color grading or something like that. But as someone who hadn't seen the film for at least ten years, it looks great to me.

Awesome, this is on my shortlist for the summer sale

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

PinkoBastard posted:

TC2000 is such a good bad movie, great buy

Yeah TC and Steel and Lace are easily recommended. Great buys at $10.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
No love for Shot? It's a decent action movie, especially considering how low the budget is.

Amityville: It's about time, is IMHO, the best of Amityville from that box set.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

never seen Shot, but out of the rest of them I am intrigued by Blades and Ode to Nothing (and will probably buy Game Show Models sight unseen if I can flip a couple movie codes so I dont feel bad about spending more money this week on movies).

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Big Mean Jerk posted:

New VS 10 for $10:
Gameshow Models
Star Virgin
Shot
Amityville: It’s About Time
The Leather Boys
Blades
TC 2000
Steel and Lace
Being Natural
Ode to Nothing

I’d recommend TC 2000 and Steel and Lace out of this bunch. TC is fun action schlock with Billy Blanks and Bolo Yueng fighting a Picasso-themed bad guy in a garbage future. Steel and Lace is a surprisingly decent twist on a rape-revenge film (luckily they never show the actual rape, just the moments leading up to it) with some fun kills.

Everyone should buy Blades. It’s a beat for beat remake of Jaws but with a lawnmower at a golf resort

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008
Blades is really incredible. In the top 5 of Troma's distributed titles for me.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

so i just learned about vinegar syndrome from this thread. basically just a cult film distributor/reseller?

and good lord, that subscription fee is yowza.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
TC 2000 just sold out.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

abelwingnut posted:

so i just learned about vinegar syndrome from this thread. basically just a cult film distributor/reseller?

That's the full year. There's normally a back half of the year come may that's more manageable.

Also typically you can just pre-order each month's package as they're announced. I'm kinda disappointed they don't have one this month, but it's probably due to the anniversary festivities.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

abelwingnut posted:

They do really nice restorations of cult films and put them out in pretty packaging. They’re not for everyone, but they’re definitely doing a great job. Having a bunch of different “partner labels” with their own specializations helps too, I love being able to pick up restorations of the SWV catalog for instance.

But yeah, you already know if this is for you or not.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

VS are pretty good at taking you from "I've never heard of this movie" to "This is now my favorite movie ever" in the space of 90 minutes.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Alright, grabbing Blades. Might come back to this $10 sale in a couple hours and see how I feel.

How have I already ordered 7 movies... I've got a problem.

So far:

Rush Week
Trauma
From Beyond
Ted Bundy
Flesh and Fantasy
Blood on Her Name
Blades

dorium fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 4, 2023

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
damnit didn't get in on tc 2000

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008
I found a copy of Shot at a Half Price Books a couple weeks ago and have been kicking myself for not picking it up. Been meaning to go back, but the location is out of my way and I haven't had the time. Now I have to decide if I just order it now, or try to get over there this weekend and hope they still have it.

The one in store was the same price as ordering (when adding shipping), but it had the slip cover.

But anyone considering it should buy Blades. It's just such a stupid movie.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Gripweed posted:

it harkens back to the days of the good old video store where the video covers were better than the movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

VS are pretty good at taking you from "I've never heard of this movie" to "This is now my favorite movie ever" in the space of 90 minutes.

Happened to me last night watching Miami Connection with a couple buddies.

Made a Black Friday order and immediately began questioning my sanity. This was the first one I got around to watching and was so satisfied I pre ordered From Beyond.