Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Qwertycoatl posted:

Finished Nona. Given how wildly different the books are I'm looking forward to spending the first half of Alecto wondering why it appears to be set in pre-revolutionary Versailles

When I told my dad Nona was out, I noted that "It's about as different from Harrow as Harrow was from Gideon" and he gave me a slightly horrified look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Quick qn: why did post Gideon harrow require mindwipe harrow to carry the sword everywhere? It was a big plot point since it held commander wakes soul, but I can't see why it would matter to harrow

mewse
May 2, 2006

sebmojo posted:

Quick qn: why did post Gideon harrow require mindwipe harrow to carry the sword everywhere? It was a big plot point since it held commander wakes soul, but I can't see why it would matter to harrow

i think one of the first notes harrow wrote to herself said protect the sword with your life

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

mewse posted:

i think one of the first notes harrow wrote to herself said protect the sword with your life

Yes, I know, that's why I asked the question! Why did she write that?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It's completely unexplained. If I had to guess I would say that Harrow was just lovely enough at spirit magic to notice the sword being haunted, and reasonably assumed that the only dead person likely to be in Gideon's sword was Gideon.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I like Rand Brittain's answer, but also wasn't another rule "Do some push-ups and study spirit magic". These guidelines were written by a newly born amalgam, not a master strategist.

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

It's completely unexplained. If I had to guess I would say that Harrow was just lovely enough at spirit magic to notice the sword being haunted, and reasonably assumed that the only dead person likely to be in Gideon's sword was Gideon.

I like this idea. I had kind of figured that, whether or not she was conscious of it, pre-mindwipe Harrow was also influenced by her feelings for Gideon - the sword and her sunglasses are all Harrow has left of her. So she keeps them.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Yeah, it demonstrates Harrow’s bad at spirit magic and redirects the reader into thinking Gideon’s in the sword once we learn about revenants and Pal’s bubble.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
Also, given Ianthe’s comment about having to go call a person about a Queen after Harrow’s brain surgery and the nebulousness of the agreements between them, there may also be information that Harrow knew about the sword that we don’t know she knew yet.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Re: Gideon's sword

I figured that Harrow's ultimate goal was to somehow extract Gideon's soul and get her whole again, so she was keeping the sword because Gideon would want her sword back once she was alive again. And since time was working against Harrow she just quickly wrote her future self instructions to keep the sword so Gideon would have it. And maybe she thought she could use it as an anchor for Gideon's soul too.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

DreamingofRoses posted:

Don’t forget Alecto was ‘buried’ with a two-handed sword, so she presumably knew something about fighting before the soul amalgamation between the three of them started

Yeah this is an interesting one -- Nona wields a chair-leg two-handed, which Cam makes a note of, at a time just before we learn that Nona is definitely not Gideon Nav because Gideon Nav is happily ensconced back in her own revenant body. So Nona/Alecto definitely had some experience with that. But Alecto has also been described as John's "cavalier", so I guess there was a time when she was wandering around wielding a two-hander. It's maybe also relevant that two-handed swords are standard cohort weapon -- that's quite likely modelled on Alecto.

The actual skill itself could either have originated from her being the soul of the Earth and having the skills of literally every human in history on tap, or it could have just been something John imbued her with when he created her body?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I assumed it was basically the body's muscle memory from the time Gideon was in it

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
So my current theory is that souls are like peanut butter.

You have a body (jar) that has had a soul (peanut butter) in it for years. Then Something Happens and the soul is displaced, but it seems like a lot of the time there is some residue left behind. Just because the peanut butter jar is "empty" doesn't mean it's really empty -- you just don't have a noticeable or useful amount of peanut butter left in it. But if you were to take a recently "emptied" jar and fill it with, I dunno, orange juice, you would definitely have hints of the previous peanut butter soul present.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Aranan posted:

You have a body (jar) that has had a soul (peanut butter) in it for years. Then Something Happens and the soul is displaced, but it seems like a lot of the time there is some residue left behind. Just because the peanut butter jar is "empty" doesn't mean it's really empty -- you just don't have a noticeable or useful amount of peanut butter left in it. But if you were to take a recently "emptied" jar and fill it with, I dunno, orange juice, you would definitely have hints of the previous peanut butter soul present.

You explained that perfectly and I love it. I like this, it makes a lot of sense

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Happy Landfill posted:

You explained that perfectly and I love it. I like this, it makes a lot of sense

Honestly, right now I want to see some kind of cheesy New Age self-help book with the title, The Peanut Butter Soul.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Everyone posted:

Honestly, right now I want to see some kind of cheesy New Age self-help book with the title, The Peanut Butter Soul.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Aranan posted:

I don't understand, where do the lava fish come in to it?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Lava Fish love peanut butter

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

There is already a perfectly good river metaphor I don't know why you are just ignoring it

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

sebmojo posted:

There is already a perfectly good river metaphor I don't know why you are just ignoring it

You're right.

If you take a mostly empty jar of peanut butter and scoop river water into it, it's going to have faint hints of peanut butter when you drink it. Also this is not safe to do so please don't go drinking random river water.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Aranan posted:

You're right.

If you take a mostly empty jar of peanut butter and scoop river water into it, it's going to have faint hints of peanut butter when you drink it. Also this is not safe to do so please don't go drinking random river water.

Especially out of an unwashed peanut butter jar.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Drinking from polluted rivers is NZ culture and I'll thank you not to disparage it

mewse
May 2, 2006

sebmojo posted:

My soul was a river, full of mud and bugs, and I poured it into a peanut butter jar

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

I’m not really reading this page because I’m enjoying reading through these books for the first time blind, but I just finished Harrow the Ninth and oh boy what a dang trip of a book.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Nona is also a trip, but in a very very different way.

Definitely read 'as yet unsent' before you embark on it, it's p crucial background.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Rivers? Where fish pee!?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

Rivers? Where fish pee!?

This is why necromancers keep complaining about getting in the river

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

M_Gargantua posted:

Rivers? Where fish pee!?

Fish watch sunsets

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Nona doesn't need a new t shirt right now

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

sebmojo posted:

Stop trying to make Hyperpotomous happen, it's not going to happen.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

So something that I feel wasn't too clear is what the Empire's forever war is about. Is it an eternal conquest of the planets settled by the descendants of the trillionaires? And what happened to their alternate FTL technology?

John mentions that they used to have to send lictors in through the River to set up an Obelisk for necromantic FTL travel, implying that there are unconquered planets out there beyond the Obelisk network.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Strategic Tea posted:

Nona doesn't need a new t shirt right now

Nona absolutely always needs new tshirts

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
You could make peanut butter soul a stealth GtN gangtag

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

M_Gargantua posted:

You could make peanut butter soul a stealth GtN gangtag

I can always use more gang tags.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

So something that I feel wasn't too clear is what the Empire's forever war is about. Is it an eternal conquest of the planets settled by the descendants of the trillionaires? And what happened to their alternate FTL technology?

John mentions that they used to have to send lictors in through the River to set up an Obelisk for necromantic FTL travel, implying that there are unconquered planets out there beyond the Obelisk network.

He absolutely wants control over all of humanity because he holds the world’s longest grudge.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I believe his motivation is gently caress those guys

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Did you guys hear the one about the time Jod raised a calf from the dead on a livestream

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
It was a big reveal

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
huge if moo

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

go to jail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS