Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Bleck posted:

I'm fine with FF being a series that features "realistic" art instead of adopting its the style of its contemporaries, i.e characters that all look exactly the same but have different hairstyles and costumes plonked onto them like a Mr. Potato Head.

Dang, hope square never hires that guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Motto posted:

The actual truth is Yoshida is a producer giving nothing fluff answers during promotional rounds. The last time he got asked he said it's because young people don't like turnbased games which has any number of counterexamples.

Yoshida wants to make an action FF game, and he doesn’t need to justify that. Unfortunately that doesn’t really fly well in press releases.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Bleck posted:

I'm fine with FF being a series that features "realistic" art instead of adopting its the style of its contemporaries, i.e characters that all look exactly the same but have different hairstyles and costumes plonked onto them like a Mr. Potato Head.

On reviewing them, these pictures actually have a very distinct charm and aesthetic from how Default actually depicted the characters, too. It wouldn't be as good as Maximum Amano FF, but Maximum Akihiko Yoshida FF and just making something that looks exactly like his art for Tactics games and the like rather than scaling it down to Octopath-style sprites or Bravely-style chibis would be really nice.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Amano manages to make every character look vastly, vastly distinct and different despite them all having the same hair color, face, body, and gender. It's fantastic, which is fitting considering it's final fantasy.

I also really like Akihiko Yoshida's artwork and in particular really like the Bravely Default series's artwork. I also loving love Tactics Ogre and FFT character/concept art! A lot of it looks like it came out of a children's storybook which is quite charming considering at its core FF is trying to appeal to a fairly specific form of nostalgia at this point.

Basically SE's art team is just incredible even if their business teams are clearly on year 30 of a coke bender

jokes fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 5, 2023

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Asterite34 posted:

The last purely turn-based Final Fantasy was released 20 years ago. The franchise has been primarily action rpgs for longer than it's been turn-based. Deal with it

e: that said, it could stand to be a bit more stylized in its visuals. They've prided themselves on pushing the graphical envelope since 7, but we've reached the point where I can see Cloud's tear ducts lovingly rendered in 4K, I think we've peaked in that particular endeavor and we can afford to go more Amano watercolor with it now

I mean, yes, but A) the ATB is close enough, and B) the development time for Final Fantasy increased to the point where '20 years ago' is still 2/3ds of the mainline games.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I have a random distinct memory of reading the FF7 instruction manual a ton when I was learning how to play RPGs age ~9, and it had little polygon pictures of the main characters. So when I saw Cait Sith or Red 13 appear on-screen, I would get so excited because I knew they were one of the Chosen Ones who would join me. Seeing Yuffie in battle and not knowing how to get her was also crazy. I missed Vincent entirely. I was obsessed with that game, and a ton of it was the look/style. I don't think medieval knight fantasy style would've gripped me nearly as much.

FF8 might've been a pinch too close to "modern life" at times, but it was still quite a bit different and fresh compared to the Grandias and Legaias of the time. Square was spitting fire for a few years there.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Bravely Default has a great job system, but I don't think it has the full package. The dungeons are terrible, every random battle becomes trivial after you get enough job synergies, and while the characters have a lot of charm the games don't do much with them.

They're fun games so I don't want to seem too down on them, but it feels kind of like a consolation prize.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Bravely Default literally, literally, explicitly wastes your time for eighty loving hours because the main characters are the biggest group of loving morons you’ve ever seen who can’t draw even the most obvious conclusions from a game that “foreshadows” it’s twist with the subtlety of a brick to the face. Worse still, if you yourself just go “gently caress it I know what’s going on I’m not gonna waste any more of my time on this stupid horseshit” and just do the drat thing is clearly the logical thing to do, you get a bad ending.

Like I try to be understanding of differing opinions, if you like bravely second I try to be like “fine ok whatever, I just feel like it’s a game written entirely around a title twist and has kind of nothing else going for it”, but Default is loving indefensible. It is a bad, bad game that explicitly wastes your time for eighty hours as it narratively blue balls you that entire time due to the fact that the main party is too stupid to live, and worse off it punishes you for actually demonstrating some foresight. It’s like if Chrono Trigger gave you a gigantic middle finger and deleted your save if you skipped right to the final boss once you got the Time Machine.

God Bravely Default is a piece of poo poo.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Asterite34 posted:

The last purely turn-based Final Fantasy was released 20 years ago. The franchise has been primarily action rpgs for longer than it's been turn-based. Deal with it

e: that said, it could stand to be a bit more stylized in its visuals. They've prided themselves on pushing the graphical envelope since 7, but we've reached the point where I can see Cloud's tear ducts lovingly rendered in 4K, I think we've peaked in that particular endeavor and we can afford to go more Amano watercolor with it now
They render Cloud's tear ducts in 4k not because its hard and impressive but because its easier to hire for and do than 3d watercolor in motion.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Eighty hours of this. Bravely Default is eighty loving hours, twice the length of most games, of this.

God that game sucks.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

isn't breaking the crystals the thing that's "bad" that they end up doing anyway

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

isn't breaking the crystals the thing that's "bad" that they end up doing anyway

Yes, but only when the game says you can! Otherwise you get a bad ending, so be prepared to do eighty hours of wasteful busywork as you glommed on to what was going on by hour twenty!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

drat I should replay Bravely Default, some good rear end bossfights in that game

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Terper posted:

drat I should replay Bravely Default, some good rear end bossfights in that game

The optional boss rush in it is one of the most fun I've had with a jrpg boss fight ever.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Bravely Default is a great game with a great aesthetic with a really dumb narrative/twist and it was absurd how the internet couldn’t stop sucking its dick for being so impressed with the twist or whatever.

Bravely Second is a better game. Why did they apologize for it?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

There is a bunch of people who just love 'subversions' and 'deconstructions' of old and popular stories no matter if those subversions/deconstructions actually make sense or are good.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I feel like the overwhelming consensus even when the game was new was that the cast were a bunch of dummies wrt everything surrounding that twist?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Srice posted:

I feel like the overwhelming consensus even when the game was new was that the cast were a bunch of dummies wrt everything surrounding that twist?

i recall the bit that really had people scratching their heads was that the course of action laid out in the game’s title and pivotal conversation (have the courage to disobey, ie “bravely default”) is the one that gets you the schmuck ending

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The only good thing BD does narrative wise is its title twist thing, but even then it’s just this reinforcement of how badly it wants to be an FF but isn’t.

Even beyond the utter idiocy and explicit time wasting that is the plot there’s just this overwhelming sense of little brother syndrome that BD1 has where it really really wants to be FFV but better and darker and a brilliant subversion and, one, it empirically is not better than FFV, and two it makes the whole thing seem soulless and manufactured. You can’t create an identity based around not being something else, you have to bring some set of positive qualities to the table.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Why is Bravely Default 2 the third game in the franchise

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
BDs ost pwns

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I never finished Bravely Second, I didn't even get halfway, wish I had beaten it

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Why is Bravely Default 2 the third game in the franchise

I was told a few pages ago that Square stopped doing this decades ago.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Why is Final Fantasy XVI the ninety-seventh game in the franchise etc etc

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

They called the third Xbox the etc etc

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

NieR Occomata posted:

Bravely Default literally, literally, explicitly wastes your time for eighty loving hours because the main characters are the biggest group of loving morons you’ve ever seen who can’t draw even the most obvious conclusions from a game that “foreshadows” it’s twist with the subtlety of a brick to the face. Worse still, if you yourself just go “gently caress it I know what’s going on I’m not gonna waste any more of my time on this stupid horseshit” and just do the drat thing is clearly the logical thing to do, you get a bad ending.

Like I try to be understanding of differing opinions, if you like bravely second I try to be like “fine ok whatever, I just feel like it’s a game written entirely around a title twist and has kind of nothing else going for it”, but Default is loving indefensible. It is a bad, bad game that explicitly wastes your time for eighty hours as it narratively blue balls you that entire time due to the fact that the main party is too stupid to live, and worse off it punishes you for actually demonstrating some foresight. It’s like if Chrono Trigger gave you a gigantic middle finger and deleted your save if you skipped right to the final boss once you got the Time Machine.

God Bravely Default is a piece of poo poo.

It's a good game.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Bravely Default is a very good game why do you care about the plot, it’s like caring about the plot of Kingdom Hearts

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The plot of the first Kingdom Hearts was pretty ok! It was after that the rollercoaster started.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

SettingSun posted:

The plot of the first Kingdom Hearts was pretty ok! It was after that the rollercoaster started.

They're all good, you are merely weak.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

BD's like "plot" is fine enough, but it just has moments where it goes way too dark for its own good and it just makes the thing seem real weird.

BS does a lot better by leaning more into goofiness and although the comedy isn't like great I feel the writing holds up a bit better on the whole. Solid games, the Bravely series even if BD2 left a lot to be desired.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

RevolverDivider posted:

Bravely Default is a very good game why do you care about the plot, it’s like caring about the plot of Kingdom Hearts

A thing many people do?

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

BD was okay but i loved BS. it was everything from the first but more. dont have a switch so i cant comment on BD2

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Countblanc posted:

BDs ost pwns

Probably one of my top 3 game OSTs

I was really excited for BD2's after learning it would also be by Revo, but it ended up being kind of disappointing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They never escaped the shadow of the first AoT op

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

A thing many people do?

As they should

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Kingdom Heart's ridiculous lore is the best part of it, though. It certainly isn't the "engaging" gameplay of spamming attack.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It has that too.

E: Well, in most games at least

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Oxxidation posted:

i recall the bit that really had people scratching their heads was that the course of action laid out in the game’s title and pivotal conversation (have the courage to disobey, ie “bravely default”) is the one that gets you the schmuck ending

Technically the meaning could be that to get the true ending you have to disobey all the characters telling you "no don't do that we'll stop you" since the game does slam you that it's a bad idea and there's a reason for that... but lmao at properly conveying that when the entire plot happens because everybody refuses to explain stuff.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

They should just do a low budget turn based dissidia game that isn't a gacha

e: Ideas flowing out of my goddamn head the more I think about this. Just do it like Crystal Project where you start off in the middle of nowhere as FF1 WoL or an original character alone, and you wander around in a basically open world finding FF characters to join you and you can go fight the last boss whenever. Low budget and 99% of it should be spent writing goofy interactions between like Faris and Beatrix or Onion Knight and Haurchefant or whatever. Make it 16 bit graphics and use the FFRK FF6 spritesheet that already exists

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the games are called "bravely default" because that's what happens when you push the shoulder buttons