Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Speaking as someone who's been following the manga off and on after enjoying the anime...

I just feel like that sucked.

On the one end, it's an attack that's completely out of scale with the rest of the setting. If someone can destroy the world in a matter of seconds, then having the ultra-high-end badasses so far 'just' be able to take out a city block feels goofy. This isn't a tool for a shadow war that was kept secret for centuries. This is a WMD that makes nukes look like pop caps.

On the other, it doesn't matter. At all. It's just no-sold and accomplishes nothing. It's a whole chapter for Chaotzu to blow up, but without the waiting for Goku aspect that can give weight to the human fights in DBZ. (Sure, Krillin can't win, but if he can just run out the clock...)

Maybe later chapters will do something to justify this, or the official release will read well enough to change my assessment but for now, it just feels like a waste of everyone's time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
ohh wowww Gege you pulled a fast one on us who would've thought that it was going to be Yuki (badass cool lady that's been hyped since the beginning) that dies and not Choso in this series where all the female characters get owned over and over. At least she accomplished *checks notes* reader exposition and making Kenjaku sweat a little. Badass

On the plus side, Kenajaku's days are numbered. They were inhabiting a ladies body, they used that lady's cursed technique AND they're about to merge with Tengan, another lady. Track record is not looking good.

And I guess Yuki's maximum technique is why she's classified as special grade. But it doesn't seem very... practical? If it's an all or nothing destroy the world attack.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Knowing Reverse Cursed Technique and being able to buff up her physical attacks to an absurd degree is absurdly strong along with her general prowess. Took out a special grade cursed spirit at the start of the fight in a single blow. Just this rear end in a top hat is bullshit and no sold pretty much everything :smith:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah i dont like this
I dont hate it but i dont like it.

Kenjaku would absolutely not have been beat here but did it have to be yuki who died.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
maybe uh… maybe RCT can bring someone back from being cut in half? Just like how Nobara could be brought back after having her brains explode on the side of the wall… cuz she’s totally still alive, right?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Wait? Did Yuki's shikigami get destroyed? If not was her ace in the whole maybe a way to revive through it or is her ace with it just that her cursed technique also affects it? She mentioned something a couple chapters ago and honestly I too am tired of the few ladies of JJK eating poo poo on top of Kenjaku just surviving a black hole.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
lol that the only two woman fighters left is maki and miss Michael Jackson with a aviary, at least horikoshi let mirko go crazy before she got shelved

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
and miwa too but she doesn’t have a single feat to her name so I forgot her

StopHangingDjs
Jan 9, 2013
Yeah no, I still love JJK on a whole so far but that loving sucked

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Yeah this chapter sucked.

Oxxidation posted:

i am losing hope for ever seeing nobara again

I've pretty much already completely gave up on that. Maybe Gege will surprise me and do the right thing, but at this point I'm basically convinced she's actually dead.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Nobara's resonance technique is one of those things seems like it'd be a major trump card for loving up all of these weird interlocked techniques being used so that's why I'm guessing she isn't going to be dead in addition to simply not stating outright what's up with her.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The next chapter it reveals that Maki just died offscreen to some random sorcerer.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
One of the foreign soldiers coming to Japan is actual America's strongest exorcist, and she's actually inspired by Gojo Satoru.

She's going to die to Kenjaku.

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Getter into the Future, Ryouma-Chan~
That's an unflattering comparison, MHA actually pretended Stars and Stripes dying actually mattered for a few panels after it happened lol

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you can not like how jjk handled this fight but it was infinitely better than star and stripes, a character that was introduced for the sole purpose of losing to the bad guy

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Uh wasnt this lady basically just introduced to lose to the bad guy? what did she ever do before

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

she was introduced a while ago. iirc it was in one of the earlier flashbacks with geto and gojo

stars & stripes was literally introduced for the fight she died in

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jerkface posted:

Uh wasnt this lady basically just introduced to lose to the bad guy? what did she ever do before

She's been around since chapter 0, and was Todo's teacher as well as one of the four special grade sorcerors, along with Gojo, Geto, and Yuta (you know, the strongest people in the setting).

However, she hadn't done much of anything yet, so she was in a little guy on the Simpsons position, where you knew she'd eventually do something good.

Only she didn't. (So, you know. Even worse than Stars).

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I mean the black hole was cool as hell until Kenjaku came out basically unharmed due to some really flimsy reasoning.

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Getter into the Future, Ryouma-Chan~

Manatee Cannon posted:

you can not like how jjk handled this fight but it was infinitely better than star and stripes, a character that was introduced for the sole purpose of losing to the bad guy

Agree with you 100% on this btw , I just couldn't resist the joke

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
yuki playing the long con by irradiating kenjaku with Hawkings particles

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Their ultimate goal was to learn his technique. Idk I’m hoping that the death was a fake out, now that Kenneth jaku said a technique.

But probably not

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Electric Phantasm posted:

I mean the black hole was cool as hell until Kenjaku came out basically unharmed due to some really flimsy reasoning.

It was a super impressive display until oops it was actually for nothing sorry

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The Notorious ZSB posted:

It was a super impressive display until oops it was actually for nothing sorry

The more I think about it, the more it pisses me off lol

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
they're gonna have to pull some real poo poo out of their asses to beat Kenjaku if even a black hole couldn't do it

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

CharlestonJew posted:

they're gonna have to pull some real poo poo out of their asses to beat Kenjaku if even a black hole couldn't do it

To be exact he was just lucky and had a counter to it. Namely a power that makes him not affected by Gravity. Other powers should work fine on him.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 28, 2022

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

To be exact he was just lucky and had a counter to it. Namely a power that makes him not affected by Gravity.

oh thanks for catching us up

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Gave me the same drat feel of Tanjiro beheading the spider dude, and then next episode he’s like lol I’m immune ackshually

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Gave me the same drat feel of Tanjiro beheading the spider dude, and then next episode he’s like lol I’m immune ackshually

He was not immune that case, he just cut off his own head before Tanjiro could.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

To be exact he was just lucky and had a counter to it. Namely a power that makes him not affected by Gravity. Other powers should work fine on him.

I can't complain that his gravity ability which was already demonstrated, actually was the positive application of an antigravity power. I will complain that this anti-grav technique was capable of withstanding a gravitational singularity and it was also a technique Yuji's mother possessed and Kenjaku is able to retain techniques between hosts like he's Deku from MHA. Unless Yuji's mother was also special grade it feels incredibly cheap that her technique was on par with a special grade technique of the same vein. I'll also complain that Yuki and Tengen basically saved the world from this attack and in doing so still managed to doom it because holding back gave Kenjaku just enough capability to survive a black hole.

It's just unsatisfying to see play out again and again when you have villains that get to remain ahead of the protagonists until the final moments of the series. Of which this is not.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Brought To You By posted:

I can't complain that his gravity ability which was already demonstrated, actually was the positive application of an antigravity power. I will complain that this anti-grav technique was capable of withstanding a gravitational singularity and it was also a technique Yuji's mother possessed and Kenjaku is able to retain techniques between hosts like he's Deku from MHA. Unless Yuji's mother was also special grade it feels incredibly cheap that her technique was on par with a special grade technique of the same vein. I'll also complain that Yuki and Tengen basically saved the world from this attack and in doing so still managed to doom it because holding back gave Kenjaku just enough capability to survive a black hole.

It's just unsatisfying to see play out again and again when you have villains that get to remain ahead of the protagonists until the final moments of the series. Of which this is not.

Gravity Singularity or not, not being affected by gravity should make one immune for a bit regardless.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Why would being immune to gravity make him immune to the insane heat, insane cold, or the impact of time dilation?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
This post turned out longer than I wanted but such is my burden.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Gravity Singularity or not, not being affected by gravity should make one immune for a bit regardless.
I disagree because there's the issue of scale when comparing the two techniques if we ignore the other issues I have with him having this technique given our current knowledge. I was fine with thinking this was his own technique and his ability to possess bodies was a byproduct of turning himself into a cursed object. But in order for this to work in my mind he'd need to be a sorcerer on the level of Yuki herself to completely avoid damage of this magnitude because of the following:

Cursed Technique Lapse does increase the output of a technique, but the only person we've seen really use it is Gojo. a.k.a the guy who was just born better than everyone. With the six eyes and being born with his potential I get why Blue is such a crushing force.

Lapse being able to avoid post-DE instability is an unnecessary justification because he was already back to using Geto's spirit manipulation and his own gravity power just fine by all appearances.

Kenjaku is skilled but his skillset previously emphasized that he was really good with barrier techniques as his original power and the rest of all his planning fell into place when Geto died because it gave him access to cursed spirit manipulation. This played into the whole situation with Tengen evolving into something Geto would be able to take control of.

Because of this the best techniques he was able to use for most of the series has been summoning powerful spirits and Geto's Maximum technique of Uzumaki. Basically using the power of his current host. Unlike Gojo or even Yuki's techniques, Geto's technique is a skill prorated by how many spirits Geto/Kenjaku is able to acquire and/or burn for any single Uzumaki.

Ultimately, I'm being asked to accept that a guy who has already been burning CE this whole fight, who has been pushed to the brink, and who is confronted with a figurative black hole. Was able to survive with only damage to his shirt because a power he can only use for 6 seconds (maybe) was able to 100% match the output against another technique from someone who was born a special grade vs someone I don't think was anywhere near that level of output, that being Kaori. Using the body of someone whose strength and technique is not the same kind of individual power like Gojo or Yuki.

If Gege wanted to make this more palatable; Kenjaku should be missing an arm and like one of his legs should be incredibly hosed up. He should be limping to Tengen's real body and instead of Lapse, how about he used the Maximum version of Kaori's technique along with his own body being used as a domain. Make it so that he seems to have put in the most effort possible on a gamble and still got hosed up as the result. Because he's very quickly in the course of this fight become an archetype of villain I find boring. And I still can't shake the suspicion that someone is going to pop up to fight him even after all this because otherwise he wins.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Yo! I'm Kogane!!

I'd normally consider myself to be very firmly against the United States sending in paramilitary black ops squads to kidnap and experiment on people, but that new lady that just got introduced is pretty badass so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt this time.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Link to early translation

https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/5591/jujutsu-kaisen-chapter-209

Going back in time a bit.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

tweet my meat posted:

Yo! I'm Kogane!!

I'd normally consider myself to be very firmly against the United States sending in paramilitary black ops squads to kidnap and experiment on people, but that new lady that just got introduced is pretty badass so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt this time.

did you forget last chapter? She’s gonna die brutally to the first special cursed grade that needs a jobber

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

lmao at yuji just doing a hard 180 and booting that grenade

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Comedy man continues to be the best.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
I find it funny that existence of supernatural superpowers are seen as a source of energy from various governments.

https://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/2011-07-13

Nonetheless given that the powers of sorcerers and cursed spirits seem to in a biological competition with one and another e.g. the existence of one pushes and makes for the existence of the other, if cursed energy was assimilated as an energy source and society improved like the SMB comic, eventually human negativity will overall fall, leading fewer and fewer cursed spirits and thus fewer and fewer sorcerers. (Though it seems that Sukuna's existence always means that cursed spirits will always exist, and perhaps governments acquiring cursed energy as an energy source will lead to warfare, raising human negativity and increasing the amount of curse energy in the world.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
I just noticed Kenjaku and Uraume were browsing the site of the Zenin massacre, specifically the epicentre of Maki's awakening. lol that in the end it was Ogi that became food for cursed spirits