Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Doom Rooster posted:

It’s because it tastes good OP. hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

What’s your favorite burner on your stove, and why is it the front right burner?

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Democratic Pirate posted:

What’s your favorite burner on your stove, and why is it the front right burner?

cuz it's closest to the cutting board op

(also i only have two burners so it's just "right burner" for me)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Love front right burner.

I had an apartment oven once where the front right burner didn't work.

Terrible, dark days.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

As a lefty, that is the incorrect option

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Front left life

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

It's because i have a crummy electric cooktop (boo) and that one has a variable-size heating area so I can make it small for little pots and big for big ones

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I go left side front burner. But I’m a lefty, so I use my right hand on the pan handle and my left for a utensil and grabbing stuff from the counter. Works for me.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I used to use front right burner but now I have switched teams to back right burner

I think I just wanted my pan/pot farther from me when I fried and now I just use that burner for everything out of habit

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I go left side front burner. But I’m a lefty, so I use my right hand on the pan handle and my left for a utensil and grabbing stuff from the counter. Works for me.

Same.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've started using back right a lot lately, but my cook top is on an island and I can reach that from the far side.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I have a lovely electric cooktop so the burners are different sizes and I just decide which one use based on the pot/pan I'm using.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Front right is a big strong alpha Chad burner. The rest is a weak beta cucktop that I will only use if I have to.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

My front right is a wok burner, so it's great, but also not for everything.
Front left is a small one, suitable for simmering - I used to wonder why they put the little one at the front, but I suppose it's because its the one you'd use for making sauces and other things you have to watch carefully.
The two back rings are medium-sized, good for most uses.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Centre burner (I have a mildly fancy 5 hob gas setup, but I basically only normally use the middle, largest one)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
My centre burner (wok) hasn’t worked for ages. Back right is a large burner (is good); back L and front R medium; front L small. The R burners are my faves.
We are renovating soon. Induction, here we come!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Pookah posted:

My front right is a wok burner, so it's great, but also not for everything.
Front left is a small one, suitable for simmering - I used to wonder why they put the little one at the front, but I suppose it's because its the one you'd use for making sauces and other things you have to watch carefully.
The two back rings are medium-sized, good for most uses.
My little one is in the back and it's incredibly annoying. At least one of the front burners should be little, because things you want low heat for, you also want to look at and react to quickly, like eggs, pancakes, grilled cheese. Put the huge ones in the back where they can boil water or simmer a huge pot of soup with no attention needed

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Anne Whateley posted:

My little one is in the back and it's incredibly annoying. At least one of the front burners should be little, because things you want low heat for, you also want to look at and react to quickly, like eggs, pancakes, grilled cheese. Put the huge ones in the back where they can boil water or simmer a huge pot of soup with no attention needed

Agreed.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

therattle posted:

Induction, here we come!

Good call, I love my induction hob. Very nearly as good as gas, but I can just clean it with a single wipe of a cloth instead of dismantling the gubbins and proving tiny orifices with a toothbrush.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

therattle posted:

My centre burner (wok) hasn’t worked for ages. Back right is a large burner (is good); back L and front R medium; front L small. The R burners are my faves.

I have a long center burner I thought would be perfect for my griddle but in practice only heats the middle of it. Anyhow, it stopped igniting, and I have to use a barbecue lighter if I want to use it. Which I don't. I just want it gone.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

Good call, I love my induction hob. Very nearly as good as gas, but I can just clean it with a single wipe of a cloth instead of dismantling the gubbins and proving tiny orifices with a toothbrush.

And I’m not burning fossil fuels in my home! Probing orifices with toothbrushes can now stay in the bedroom, where it belongs.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Casu Marzu posted:

Front left life

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
On a related note:
One in eight cases of asthma in US kids caused by gas stove pollution – study
Emission of toxic chemicals and carcinogens from gas stoves creating indoor pollution worse than car traffic

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I always open the patio door and run a window fan there when I cook on the stove

Mainly for the smell. Good to know it’s good for my health too!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Yes, I read something similar and that was a big factor in wanting to change.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Ugh reminds me that I really need to hang/vent my microwave...

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

On my stove, the front left is actually the hottest burner. Very confusing.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
just made a big ol batch of date caramel, so i'm gonna finish off tonight with a hot chocolate sweetened with deglet noors

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

therattle posted:

Yes, I read something similar and that was a big factor in wanting to change.

The last time I read a similar study it was very clear that venting makes a big difference. Your indoor air quality with natural gas and a real vented to the outside vent is fine.

Loads of people use gas indoors with zero ventilation which is bad, or with those microwave vents that “filter” the air and fire it right back at you.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Not sure how residents can test it, but even stoves which are off can leak methane and benzene which is fun. Probably worth sniffing around your cabinet under your stove to see if you can smell rotten eggs. The study was small sample size, and also by an org with an agenda, though that doesn't automatically mean it's wrong.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Chemmy posted:

The last time I read a similar study it was very clear that venting makes a big difference. Your indoor air quality with natural gas and a real vented to the outside vent is fine.

Loads of people use gas indoors with zero ventilation which is bad, or with those microwave vents that “filter” the air and fire it right back at you.

Yep, I always use the extractor fan now when using the stove, even if it’s not something smoky or smelly.

mystes
May 31, 2006

therattle posted:

Yep, I always use the extractor fan now when using the stove, even if it’s not something smoky or smelly.
I mean even if you're just boiling water on an electric stove you probably want to run the fan just for humidity... even if gas wasn't a problem there still would be almost no situations where you wouldn't want to run the fan when using your stove.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Saw this on sale at Kroger so I grabbed a couple. Man, talk about a cheap, easy and delicious dinner. I think I was $10 all in after getting some vegetables and chicken thighs, it cooked up in like 30 minutes, makes a ton and tastes great.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Anno posted:

Saw this on sale at Kroger so I grabbed a couple. Man, talk about a cheap, easy and delicious dinner. I think I was $10 all in after getting some vegetables and chicken thighs, it cooked up in like 30 minutes, makes a ton and tastes great.

gently caress yeah

Also if you wanna change things up, use other vegetables. Corn, mushrooms, spinach, tomatoes, squash, sweet potato, cabbage, whatever. Just use about 3.5-4 pounds of veg and 1 pound of meat for a 12 serving box of curry

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Steve Yun posted:

gently caress yeah

Also if you wanna change things up, use other vegetables. Corn, mushrooms, spinach, tomatoes, squash, sweet potato, cabbage, whatever. Just use about 3.5-4 pounds of veg and 1 pound of meat for a 12 serving box of curry

For veggies used one huge onion, two big carrots, two sweet potatoes and some mushrooms, with some green onions to garnish, and that seemed to work out pretty well. Looking around it seems like some people enjoy apple with this so I think I'll try that next time.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

What I miss is working in a grocery store pizza shop that adjoined the Chinese food section. They had literal hundreds of little cans of Thai curry paste, and they sure as gently caress didn't notice a few taking a trip to my kitchen at home every week

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

mystes posted:

I have a lovely electric cooktop so the burners are different sizes and I just decide which one use based on the pot/pan I'm using.
This for me, too. We have the owner's manual for this old undersized thing, and it spells out the maximum power output of each of the four elements - front left is big and has the highest output, back right is the same size but only about 80% as powerful, and the two smaller ones are about half the power of the FL. I have my habits for particular every-day items, like the BL for coffee and the FR for my little egg pan, but FL gets used for 99% of frying and BR is for boiling large pots of water.

EDIT: The hob is not level, it's dished in slightly in the middle. It doesn't matter for larger volumes but a thin layer of liquid such as the tablespoon of oil in the pan will end up as a puddle closest to the middle of the hob. I have developed a habit of rotating the frying pan 180 degrees every so often, in the hopes of lubing the dry side.

therattle posted:

I am jealous.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 9, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Fuckin egg prices man

Also egg shortage thanks to avian flu

It’s an eggtastrophe!

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/newyork/news/why-are-egg-prices-so-high-bird-flu/

My condolences to Taiwanese and Chinese Americans for losing their food supply

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
so word on the street (twitter) is that Trader Joe’s is still selling eggs for $3-4 and that most of the price increases are actually just using avian flu as an excuse to price gouge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Noma is pulling the ol’ El Bulli

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/noma-closes-copenhagen-intl-scli/index.html

Gonna close in 2024, turn into a lab