Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Bob Mundon posted:

Wonder if that's what happened to my eGo mower battery. Started acting up after a layoff through the winter when I just threw it in the mower.

I wouldn't be surprised. Same situation with my Flexvolt. Left it at the lake for the winter, went up and used it with the blower until it was about spent, then never would charge up again. Now I bring all my batteries home and cycle through them during the winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Are they small like this: https://www.harborfreight.com/5-ton-12-amp-electric-log-splitter-63366.html

or big like this:
https://www.woodsplitterdirect.com/products/swisher-22-ton-electric-log-splitter-eco-split

I'd be splitting some fairly gnarly stuff like live oak and pecan that doesn't split particularly easily for the most part, but also red/white oak and beech that are easy to split.

FYI i have the top one and can split normal size (up to about 16" around) wood with it.
Any more, and the pieces are unruly when they fall off.
Gnarly stuff won't be fun as its just like a normal sledge but you don't have to lift it over your head.

I let my 8 yr old run the controls, its reasonably safe as you need to hands to press the valve and the motor starter.
An old version of this:
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/yardworks-65556-4-ton-1-3-4-hp-electric-log-splitter-0603823p.html?loc=plp

Ive had it for 5 years, and split 10 trailers worth of wood, good enough for vanity fireplace in the house but if you were doing more id get a bigger one for speed
I have had to fill it with fluid a few times, but thats more of a function of loaning it out than a leak.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Johnny Truant posted:

Please don't let anyone ride that, though.

Ever seen the movie Bone Tomahawk?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I am remodeling my laundry room. I am painting cabinets what’s a paint sprayer that I won’t hate using cost? I got cabinets off the wall and lightly sanded. I am looking at them and just thinking this is going suck with a brush and roller.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Is it a massive room? Most laundry rooms aren't. Just roll it, it shouldn't take that long. It's not hard to do, and with the cabinets off you don't have to worry about taping anything except the floor.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Rent it, goon.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

sharkytm posted:

It's a known issue with the Makita batteries. The BMS runs on one cell and will kill it to the point of tripping the low voltage safety.

Good to know. I have a bunch of Makita batteries this fall and decided I was going to use the same strategy as storing automotive Li batteries - discharge most of them to 20% before long term storage and keep a couple in active rotation during the slow season. Then the windstorm hit, trees fell down, the power went out, and I realized that this is a really dumb strategy when one of your handiest chainsaws is battery operated. :owned:

Fortunately none of the batteries were left at 20% long enough to kill this BMS cell. Dodged a bullet on that one. New strategy: Top up the EV and tool batteries whenever another windstorm is predicted.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I try not to let any of my Makita packs sit too long, and generally on the bigger stuff (leaf blower and string trimmer especially) I'll toss the batteries on the charger when I start mowing, and put them in the tool when I'm ready to use them regardless of the initial charge state.

Drills, impact tools, etc will get light use on my whatever battery is in them when I need it, but I try to top the batteries up after I'm done. And I normally don't run anything until it stops powering the tool, I try and toss it on the charger at the last bar on the battery meter.

In fact I should check my batteries in the rack and top them off soon. I'll be working on finishing part of the basement next month.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
anybody get any cool tools for christmas??

My partner got me this freakin sweet 4-in-1 tool holder. Tape measure, knife, pencil PLUS a slot for screwdriver or pliers. I have a nice tool belt that i love but its too bulky for most anything besides framing, so this slimmed down beauty is just what i needed. No metal parts to scuff up cabinets or painted walls

I'm very proud of it :D

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I got a soldering mat so I can stop burning holes in the kitchen table. We’ll see how that works out though.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Treated myself just prior to Christmas to a 7 1/4" ryobi cordless because I was tired of trying to cut 2x4's with the old 5 1/2" I had gotten as part of a set 20-odd years ago, which has a max depth of not-quite 1 1/2". Cutting polycarbonate panels for a greenhouse is also....interesting.

I originally went out of my cordless domain and pulled the trigger on a Makita, but when I saw it used 2 batteries and calculated the weight as maybe more than my Makita hypoid, cancelled the sale. The ryobi is totally sufficient.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

nitsuga posted:

I got a soldering mat so I can stop burning holes in the kitchen table. We’ll see how that works out though.

A gift for both of you!

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

My partner got me this freakin sweet 4-in-1 tool holder.
What's the make and model?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I would like to pick up a laser level to make hanging cabinets and floating shelves easier. Green over red seems like the only real must have. I am leaning towards just buying whatever Bosch I can find on sale.

360 degrees sounds nice for hanging a drop ceiling but I can’t think of anything else I might use it for and who knows I only been telling myself I will finish the basement for 5 years.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Calidus posted:

I would like to pick up a laser level to make hanging cabinets and floating shelves easier. Green over red seems like the only real must have. I am leaning towards just buying whatever Bosch I can find on sale.

360 degrees sounds nice for hanging a drop ceiling but I can’t think of anything else I might use it for and who knows I only been telling myself I will finish the basement for 5 years.

Minimum viable useful laser for me in that situation is a cross line model. And yeah, green is nice, especially outside.

I've got the sub $200 dewalt and it's my go-to. My big rotary laser is Bosch (red and it's still just fine, even outside if you're wearing glasses - but in this case it's mostly used for a transit so I don't have to actually see it). Both seem to be well built.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Calidus posted:

Drop ceiling, fine. Hanging cabinets is goonoverkill. What's wrong with scribing a line with a 4' level like actual cabinet installers do.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mr. Mambold posted:

Drop ceiling, fine. Hanging cabinets is goonoverkill. What's wrong with scribing a line with a 4' level like actual cabinet installers do.

Yeah, that too. I was focused on the tool but seriously all you need is a bubble level and a tape measure for cabinets.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Mr. Mambold posted:

I can set the line let my wife look at then move it up and down per her instructions.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Calidus posted:

I can set the line let my wife look at then move it up and down per her instructions.

The line you need to mount a 1x or whatever to mount eh cabinets won't be at either the very top nor the bottom of the cabinets.

Also, there are standard heights for cabinets based on counter height. Things are built around these customary heights, so disregard them at your own peril.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I have followed everyone advise I didn’t buy a laser level I just spent all my tool money on a table saw. It’s my payment for remodeling the Landry room and removing 2 layers of laminate flooring.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Calidus posted:

I have followed everyone advise I didn’t buy a laser level I just spent all my tool money on a table saw. It’s my payment for remodeling the Landry room and removing 2 layers of laminate flooring.

FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT'S HOLY THAT TABLE SAW NEEDS TO BE LEVEL SO YOU BEST GET THAT LASER LEVEL AFTER ALL

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Mr. Mambold posted:

FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT'S HOLY THAT TABLE SAW NEEDS TO BE LEVEL SO YOU BEST GET THAT LASER LEVEL AFTER ALL

How else would you zero out a table saw?

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Calidus posted:

Landry room

drat, I know Cowboys fans are hardcore, but that's next level

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Blowjob Overtime posted:

drat, I know Cowboys fans are hardcore, but that's next level

Lmao

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

:saddowns:

Don't suppose there's any point trying to weld it back on. I really liked these chisels

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Don't suppose there's any point trying to weld it back on. I really liked these chisels

Sorry, but lol.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

You totally just grind a new tip on that

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Can you just.. grind a new edge on it?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

That's a pretty aggressive grind, usually you just take a bit of material off of the existing edge.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

MRC48B posted:

Can you just.. grind a new edge on it?

yeah but that sucks and I'm going to whine about it for a while first

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Improvised Japanese chisel.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I think chisels are often only properly hardened a certain distance up from the leading edge. So with that much of it gone it might be too brittle to sharpen or too soft to hold a good edge? Re-tempering might work unless they welded a different type of steel to the tip or something.

Maybe they don't do that to all chisels though?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
It's a drat Stanley chisel. Buy a new one for $6.50

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Tell the truth-were you using it as a screwdriver or prybar when it broke :colbert:

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

nah I've got a special chisel for that and a sharpened screwdriver to use as a tiny chisel

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Why waste $10 on a new chisel when you can buy a Tormek bench sharpener?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Do it. A proper sharp chisel like that should not have a point. This is the Way.

Or you could grind a new edge and keep the dropoff as a mini scraper.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
This is more of a "what material to use" question: I'd like to replace my keyboard tray with a wider one and looking for a good combo of light and rigid. This is what I have:

(I know, virtually nobody likes under-desk keyboard trays and I'm posting from 1997; I have a very cramped desk situation and this works)

The current tray is about 26" x 10", made of mystery plastic, and it works well other than being too small. The sliding mechanism / mount is actually very good, so I'd just replace the tray itself since it just bolts to the mount.

I have no preference for the replacement material other than it being available in widths of ~32" and rigid enough as to not flex under normal keyboard + mouse use. I'm thinking aluminum but I'm open to suggestions if anyone can think of a better/cheaper option.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Mr. Mambold posted:

Do it. A proper sharp chisel like that should not have a point. This is the Way.

Or you could grind a new edge and keep the dropoff as a mini scraper.

Yeah turn it into one of these!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRefifBuWWI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

Does anyone have hands-on experience with the Ryobi Link rolling toolbox stack? I'm getting tired of hauling tools around the house in an Ikea bag, and the buy-in cost of Milwaukee looks too steep to me. On the other end, Craftsman Tradestack looks about equivalent to Walmart's Hart version, at least in terms of weight capacity, but will I even notice? I would say the chance of me taking my tools on the road is very slim, but I like to have everything I need with me when I work on jobs 2 floors above the garage. My brother left an enormous Ridgid box made of thin polypropylene or something at my house but that thing gets overloaded quickly and it's just about falling apart, but the thiccer 22-inch boxes look mighty appealing.