Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I want a remake of the light and sound spaceship, and once I built it, I want my phone to ring and my mother tell me it's enough light and especially SOUND for the day.

Good times...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016
I think Lego would make bank with a bunch of 30th anniversary sets for all of the 90s releases. My idea would be one set for each theme in the $60 to $100 range. Now you’ve got the millennial nostalgia dollar for the next 7-8 years.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I forgot all about the magnets. Haven't seen any on a set lately, was there a particular reason they stopped?

It’s bad if kids swallow more than one and they stick together.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

smackfu posted:

It’s bad if kids swallow more than one and they stick together.

What does LEGO use for couplers now?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

HootTheOwl posted:

What does LEGO use for couplers now?

Newer train couplers use magnets that can’t be (without un-childlike effort) detached from the rest of the buffer element.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Something is busted in Stud.io's pricing estimates. It's showing this piece which sells for like $5 as averaging $225.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I'm gonna take a stab at why Galaxy Explorer may not have had as wide appeal (assuming this is actually the case).

Remaking set or themes like the big pirate ship or a western town (would 100% buy this) is a little different to a quite faithful update to what was pretty crude design.
Don't get me wrong, I had enough classic space in the big haul of lego donated to me as a kid to have some nostalgia for it, but the early designs are still very basic in that they're a cockpit and engine on top of a flat wing.
So it's not just the case of doing a new pirate ship or castle that harkens back to an older theme, but now with modern techniques and pieces - it's fully recreating the same dated design just with less visible studs and some more detailing, which is going to limit it's appeal to just people nostalgic for that specific era of classic space. Totally updating the design may have attracted a wider audience but alienated the intended demographic, so if it is a case that it didn't perform as well, it may just be that they overestimated the appeal of the look of classic space to people who didn't grow up with it.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

Skios posted:

Space sets that could probably be remade into great GWP sets:

* The M-Tron Particle Ioniser - Who doesn't want a space helicopter?
* The Blacktron 2 Allied Avenger - Those canopies got so much use when I was a kid.
* Space Police Galactic Peace Keeper - I've already waxed nostalgically about this set a few pages back, and it dovetails nicely with the Blacktron GWP we've just had.
* Ice Planet 2002 Ice Sat V - Not going to lie, Ice Planet 2002 made it hard to find a set that was in the right range for GWPs, while also having the right aesthetic.

Yup. I'd overspend to get any of these. Allied Avenger will always be my top pick, those corner panels will always be amazing.
Space Police II Rebel Hunter is the first addition that pops into my head.

These might be pushing the piece count of a flair up but I'd also love remakes of:
Unitron Star Hawk II
Saucer Centurion

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

My work gives us a yearly $400 "self care" stipend in which we are encouraged to buy things/services for ourselves and I'm extremely tempted to blow some/all of it on bricks. The big castle is tempting too, but I don't know that I have space for it to sit anywhere once assembled.

fwiw the big castle is surprisingly compact (at least to me) once it's built and folded up. I put it on my home office desk just to get it out of range from young toddler hands and it ended up not taking up any space that I was already using. I think it might stay up there now.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
CNY sets are available. Year of the Rabbit GWP is not. Huh.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer

Lizard Combatant posted:

I'm gonna take a stab at why Galaxy Explorer may not have had as wide appeal (assuming this is actually the case).

Remaking set or themes like the big pirate ship or a western town (would 100% buy this) is a little different to a quite faithful update to what was pretty crude design.
Don't get me wrong, I had enough classic space in the big haul of lego donated to me as a kid to have some nostalgia for it, but the early designs are still very basic in that they're a cockpit and engine on top of a flat wing.
So it's not just the case of doing a new pirate ship or castle that harkens back to an older theme, but now with modern techniques and pieces - it's fully recreating the same dated design just with less visible studs and some more detailing, which is going to limit it's appeal to just people nostalgic for that specific era of classic space. Totally updating the design may have attracted a wider audience but alienated the intended demographic, so if it is a case that it didn't perform as well, it may just be that they overestimated the appeal of the look of classic space to people who didn't grow up with it.

The new pirate ship was my first adult LEGO purchase. I'm nostalgic for a lot of the sets people have just posted (those holograms!) and had the space monorail, but I have no interest in remakes of those sets. I'd maybe be tempted by a modern space base/ship in the style of 60350 with adult level complexity and the detailing the pirate ship had (and some jetpacks). I guess I'm nostalgic for what was fun to me rather than the actual ship designs.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Destroyenator posted:

The new pirate ship was my first adult LEGO purchase. I'm nostalgic for a lot of the sets people have just posted (those holograms!) and had the space monorail, but I have no interest in remakes of those sets. I'd maybe be tempted by a modern space base/ship in the style of 60350 with adult level complexity and the detailing the pirate ship had (and some jetpacks). I guess I'm nostalgic for what was fun to me rather than the actual ship designs.

Pretty much. I think they'd have better luck with a fresh wave of space sets loosely inspired by the old themes.

To put it another way, it's a lovely 4k remastered Blu-ray of a sci-fi film from the 50s. It's really only going to appeal to people who already find it charming, and if that's the only demo you need to have it be profitable then more power to them.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jan 10, 2023

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I am selling a chunk of my collection. We recently moved house so I'm downsizing my backlog and some pre-loved (but complete and like new) sets. Here is the list incase any UK goons are interested;

Boxed, as new;
Women of NASA (2017) 21312
Sonic The Hedgehog - Greenhill Zone (2022) 21331
Quatum Realm Explorers (2018) 76109
Battle at the Ancient Village (2021) 76177
Harvester Transport (2019) 60223
Diagon Alley (2018) 40289
Hagrids Hut - Buckbeaks Rescue (2019) 75947
60 Years of the Lego Brick (2018) 40290
Spider-man at the Sanctum Workshop (2021) 76185
Elastigirls Rooftop Pursuit (2018) 10759
London Skyline (2017) 21034
Charles Dickens Tribute (2020) 40410
Vaction Getaways (2016) 31052
Rescue Mission Boat (2019) 41381
The Great Home Escape (2018) 10761
Fishing Boat (2017) 60147
ExoSuit (2014) 21109
Black Widows Helicopter Chase (2020) 76162
Underminer Bank Heist (2018) 10760
WInter Village Fire Station (2018) 10263
Hogwarts Whomping Willow (2018) 75953
Capital City (2018) 60200
Slave 1 - 20th Anniversay Edition (2019) 75243
Sanctum Sanctorum Showdown (2018) 76108
Thors Weapon Quest (2018) 76102
Carbon-Freezing Chamber (2016) 75137
Corvus Glaive Thresher Attack (2018) 76103
Treehouse Adventures (2016) 31053
Ford Fiesta M-Sport WRC (2018) 75885
Kylo Ren & Sith Trooper (2019) 75232
The Big Bang Theory (2015) 21302
Outrider Dropship Attack (2018) 76101
Ferry (2016) 60119
Chevrolet Camero Drag Race (2016) 75874
The Riddler Riddle Racer (2017) 70903
Thanos - Ultimate Battle (2018) 76107
Carnotosaurus Gyrosphere Escape (2018) 75929
Carousel (2017) 10257

Unboxed and previously built but with all pieces present;
Ferris Wheel (2015) 10247
Fairground Mixer (2014) 10244
Shuttle Adventure (2010) 10213
Haunted House (2012) 10228

I'm looking for around the average Bricklink price for these. PM me if you fancy anything.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

PriorMarcus posted:

I am selling a chunk of my collection. We recently moved house so I'm downsizing my backlog and some pre-loved (but complete and like new) sets. Here is the list incase any UK goons are interested;
Hey, please post this to SA-Mart and link it here so all followup discussion can occur elsewhere to avoid cluttering up the megathread! Thanks kindly.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Carbohydrates posted:

Hey, please post this to SA-Mart and link it here so all followup discussion can occur elsewhere to avoid cluttering up the megathread! Thanks kindly.

No worries.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4021646&userid=142154

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I don't see a link to obi_ant's SA-MART Lego sale posted in here yet; these are some great prices and I've bought from them before with no issues.

Someone needs to grab that Unexpected Journey, it's a really fun set.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Definitely some good stuff there, I’m sad that that Palace Cinema got sold before I could remember to make an offer!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Same but a mixture of sadness and relief.

I have my first Creator Modular due in the mail today, the bookshop from eBay marked as used. I’m slightly terrified of the concept of 2000+ bricks if they weren’t rebagged.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

I have my first Creator Modular due in the mail today, the bookshop from eBay marked as used. I’m slightly terrified of the concept of 2000+ bricks if they weren’t rebagged.

Having just assembled the Grand Emporium from unlabeled, jumbled bags, take the advice that took me a few hours to figure out: split everything up by color first, it's still annoying but substantially less so than the traditional 'it's a big pile' method.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
A-Frame leaked

That looks nice

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

That looks really good. What are the bricks used for the stone wall on the foundation? I really like that look.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

tuo posted:

That looks really good. What are the bricks used for the stone wall on the foundation? I really like that look.

I've never seen the piece in person but I think it's a bunch of Thor minifig hammers

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Those are Mjolnir hammer pieces, very cool! I'm liking this one quite a bit so far, hopefully the interior lives up to the outside. I'm glad to see that an otter is being included. Rumor has it that it'll be $180.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Zwille posted:

A-Frame leaked

That looks nice

Dammit LEGO. Just take all my $$$ why don't you?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Waltzing Along posted:

Dammit LEGO. Just take all my $$$ why don't you?

They’re not already?!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Dogen posted:

They’re not already?!

It's an investment.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

FBS posted:

I've never seen the piece in person but I think it's a bunch of Thor minifig hammers

Yeah they use that as facade decoration in assembly square, it’s very neat!

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

lol I thought it kinda looks like Mjolnir but have zero knowledge about the Avengers sets and their pieces. That's a brilliant use of them then. Didn't even notice them in Assembly Square.

e: first they gave us frogs, now they give us hammers. What's next, flowers as tiger buttholes?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Finished my Shuttle + Hubble today. Just a wonderful set, incredible display model while still having cool play features. Just want the Lunar Lander now to complete my collection of the recent good space sets.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

The lander is also really nice and looks perfect next to them. The shuttle actually made me crave for a bigger Hubble set. That's why I'm a bit sad that the James Webb telescope is kinda tied to an Ideas submission, simply because it would steal the spot of a more creative Ideas set.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Zwille posted:

A-Frame leaked

That looks nice

Oh, that's really nice. Almost a companion piece to the Old Fishing Store.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Ooooh I just noticed it has holes on the side, either it’s modular compatible or you can switch around the side flourish pieces as you like, neat! I don’t know where I’d put it, it’d probably look out of place with the Modulars, but dang is it looking nicer and nicer.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Zwille posted:

Ooooh I just noticed it has holes on the side, either it’s modular compatible or you can switch around the side flourish pieces as you like, neat! I don’t know where I’d put it, it’d probably look out of place with the Modulars, but dang is it looking nicer and nicer.

I think it’s the latter - they’re too high to be modular compatible from what I can see.

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Zwille posted:

A-Frame leaked
Wow, first set in a while where I am pretty sure I will get it.

The_Doctor posted:

Oh, that's really nice. Almost a companion piece to the Old Fishing Store.
And Treehouse!

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Zwille posted:

Ooooh I just noticed it has holes on the side, either it’s modular compatible or

Urban A-frame is a horrific prospect

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Cloks posted:

I don't see a link to obi_ant's SA-MART Lego sale posted in here yet; these are some great prices and I've bought from them before with no issues.

Someone needs to grab that Unexpected Journey, it's a really fun set.

Thanks for the shout out.

Someone buy my stuff!

That A-Frame is looking pretttttty good.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I just hope the A frame is still around when I switch from sell-mode to buy mode

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Having just assembled the Grand Emporium from unlabeled, jumbled bags, take the advice that took me a few hours to figure out: split everything up by color first, it's still annoying but substantially less so than the traditional 'it's a big pile' method.

Imo don't sort by color, sort by part type. Colors are easy to see, less easy to see if you have every part of a color in a pile.

I don't even do a rigid sorting when building from big pile. I just throw all of the plates in ones spot, technic pins, axels, rods all together, small parts, big parts etc etc. Just to give myself a general area to search. Makes it super easy to find stuff and only takes a few minutes even with a big set.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Imo don't sort by color, sort by part type. Colors are easy to see, less easy to see if you have every part of a color in a pile.

I don't even do a rigid sorting when building from big pile. I just throw all of the plates in ones spot, technic pins, axels, rods all together, small parts, big parts etc etc. Just to give myself a general area to search. Makes it super easy to find stuff and only takes a few minutes even with a big set.

poo poo that's better than my way. Guess I have a new procedure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Zwille posted:

A-Frame leaked

That looks nice

I need to buy this when it comes out so I can mod it into a Mystery Shack.