Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

rate my backlog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
7/10 too many v-fins not enough mono-eyes.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Pierson posted:

7/10 too many v-fins not enough mono-eyes.

Is Goku a Gundam?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

He's no zaku

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
That's really useful advice about brushes and stuff, thanks Grassy. I've got a shopping list together I'll be executing probably next month to get started, really looking forward to it. I'll look into a DIY spray box but tbh depending on how awkward it gets I may just pay a premium for a portable one from amazon.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

chiasaur11 posted:

Is Goku a Gundam?

distinctive golden feature on the head, blue chest details, more powerful than his contemporaries, sounds like a Gundam to me.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

War and Pieces posted:

first cool suit from GWitch

It's the second, first was the lad Elan was piloting

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

It's the second, first was the lad Elan was piloting

The Zowort?

Yeah, it has a nice AC Normal look to it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

The Zowort?

Yeah, it has a nice AC Normal look to it.

Naw the Pharact, Zowort looks like a KLF or something

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

rate my backlog

Rating: Target

For real though, enjoy!
The Strike Freedom is a lot of fun with the backpack and gold frame, and while I haven't built the Barbaririus, I like the Barbatos Lupis Rex and the idea is neat.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I was miffed that there isn't a way to have the Barbataurus hold the bow real well. You just kind of try to rest the arrow on top of the fist that holds the bow and it kinda stays, and put the "string" behind the other fist and hope perspective hides it.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

SnakesRevenge posted:

For real though, enjoy!
The Strike Freedom is a lot of fun with the backpack and gold frame, and while I haven't built the Barbaririus, I like the Barbatos Lupis Rex and the idea is neat.

They look cool though I've never watched the associated episode. barrier was pretty low when they were sitting right there, while I was at target (minus the top one, that was a TGSS gift)

Dr Christmas posted:

I was miffed that there isn't a way to have the Barbataurus hold the bow real well. You just kind of try to rest the arrow on top of the fist that holds the bow and it kinda stays, and put the "string" behind the other fist and hope perspective hides it.

That sounds like it might miff me too.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

SnakesRevenge posted:

drat you beat me

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I bought the 1/144 RX-78-2 Gundam, Bandai Spirits Entry Grade, assembled it and enjoyed it. I didn't do much aside from snip and sand. What's the next thing I can introduce to improve my next model? Would like some steps to go from crawl, walk and run with building these.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Panel line is a straightforward next step that will make even a simple kit pop.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Thanks! I'll do that to my model I just built

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
I feel like I need to post my backlog. But it's not one concise pile. The concise pile I do have is pretty.. .impressibe though.

biceps crimes posted:

And a thing you can go back and do to older kits to make your past work look better.

............................. Not that I've ever done such a thing... *hides the dusty model he's panel lining*

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Depending on how bad it'll be to repair my car tomorrow, I'll buy some gundam markers and go back and try panel lining

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Nerobro posted:

I feel like I need to post my backlog. But it's not one concise pile. The concise pile I do have is pretty.. .impressibe though.

And a thing you can go back and do to older kits to make your past work look better.

............................. Not that I've ever done such a thing... *hides the dusty model he's panel lining*

I like to leave my old kits how they are so I can see how far I've come (or haven't)

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

biceps crimes posted:

I bought the 1/144 RX-78-2 Gundam, Bandai Spirits Entry Grade, assembled it and enjoyed it. I didn't do much aside from snip and sand. What's the next thing I can introduce to improve my next model? Would like some steps to go from crawl, walk and run with building these.
Panel lines and topcoat for sure! It was the first thing and I bought and it's amazing the difference it makes to add detail and make the model look less plastic-y. Tamiya panel liner and thinner to help erase mistakes is like £10 and some topcoats you'll want to protect the model are another £10, totally worth it.

HG Sinanju:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Pierson posted:

I'll look into a DIY spray box but tbh depending on how awkward it gets I may just pay a premium for a portable one from amazon.

It depends on what you're spraying really. If you're doing true water-based acrylics, a rinky dink DIY job is probably enough, but if you're doing stuff like lacquers you'll want a really sturdy extractor setup if you value your health.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

biceps crimes posted:

topcoat too if only just to practice

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

War and Pieces posted:

topcoat too if only just to practice

Can verify. Not just technique, but to make sure you can tell what’s going on given your workspace’s lighting.

And that’s how I ended up spending an evening getting quick shine everywhere except the plastic at 25 PSI, and not even realizing it until the next day.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

RillAkBea posted:

It depends on what you're spraying really. If you're doing true water-based acrylics, a rinky dink DIY job is probably enough, but if you're doing stuff like lacquers you'll want a really sturdy extractor setup if you value your health.
I really really want to start with just some inner frame painting for a metallic look but 100% I'm gonna be doing chrome/candy finishes when I have the experience so I'm going for the latter for sure.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

So I'm technically keeping the promise to myself not to buy more gunpla until my backlog is done if I buy resin conversion kits for models I already own?

non recast resin is super nice.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 10, 2023

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Are resin kits an intermediate/advanced-style thing? I've seen the insane Sazabi conversion kit and other stuff. Do they just clip on/replace other parts in the basic kit?

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
Yeah, resin kits require more fitting and painting than a standard Gunpla kit made by Bandai. Also you should wear a respirator when sanding because the resin is even worse for your lungs than regular plastic.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Pierson posted:

Are resin kits an intermediate/advanced-style thing? I've seen the insane Sazabi conversion kit and other stuff. Do they just clip on/replace other parts in the basic kit?

Resin is crossing into a step past "normal modeling". Resin is where you go when you are making five, dozens, or hundreds of a kit, not thousands. If you've played with styrene sheet, or built an older (Think 1950s) "normal" model, you can do resin.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Sorry bit of a mis-understanding there, I don't mean full resin kits I just mean the conversion kits that to my understanding are additional parts for standard plastic models. Stuff like this for the Gouf Custom: https://www.museigenhobby.com/product/sh-studio-1-60-gouf-custom-conversion-kit/. Are they just additional/replacement parts and so just need a bit more care than normal plastic parts they replace/attach to, or is it more complex than that?

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Pierson posted:

Sorry bit of a mis-understanding there, I don't mean full resin kits I just mean the conversion kits that to my understanding are additional parts for standard plastic models. Stuff like this for the Gouf Custom: https://www.museigenhobby.com/product/sh-studio-1-60-gouf-custom-conversion-kit/. Are they just additional/replacement parts and so just need a bit more care than normal plastic parts they replace/attach to, or is it more complex than that?

Not really a ton more complex, just more work. There's generally more room for error the way they're manufactured so you'll likely need to fix shark issues with the parts, maybe modify some slightly to fit properly. Also they clearly need painting.
More work, not necessarily more difficult (and as has been said, breathing protection is a must!)

This one in particular you'd need to find a PG Zaku II kit, or buy the "A-frame" resin kit for the frame.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
My backlog lives in my closet and shames me every morning.

I got bit by P-Bandai FOMO bad when the US shop hit. I can't even remember what the last non-exclusive kit I bought was. AND I still have like 10 other things on pre-order. I did vow not to buy any more until I get this down to a manageable level because I cannot fit any more unbuilt kits in there. There's a lot of new stuff I want (Big O, RG GaoGaiGar, RG Zeong, etc.) but, yeah, not right now. I don't want the jokey term "plastic crack" to be serious for me.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
There's so much great P-Bandai stuff but seeing that category be like £100 for an MG or gently caress yourself is kind of annoying!

Pierson fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 11, 2023

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Moai Ou posted:

I don't want the jokey term "plastic crack" to be serious for me.

My dude/dudette, build a gundam. an HG unit only takes like, 2.5 hours or so including cleanup, put on an anime and you're already done a few episodes

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

GreenBuckanneer posted:

My dude/dudette, build a gundam. an HG unit only takes like, 2.5 hours or so including cleanup, put on an anime and you're already done a few episodes

My builds usually take longer since I'm also doing panel lining with washes and painting inner frame greebles and stuff that hasn't been molded in the correct colors. I cranked out 6 or 7 kits last month back-to-back including a couple MG-esque Kotobukiya kits that I got for the holidays. I'm building, but other stuff takes up my time too.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Am I missing something or have HLJ not put the Aerial Rebuild up for preorder? Just a bit confused since every other kit that's been announced so far has been put up same day more or less.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Luminaflare posted:

Am I missing something or have HLJ not put the Aerial Rebuild up for preorder? Just a bit confused since every other kit that's been announced so far has been put up same day more or less.

It's been up for yonks, but it was previously "Unnamed Product A" or similar for a while

https://www.hlj.com/1-144-scale-mobile-suit-gundam-the-witch-from-mercury-hg-gundam-aerial-modified-type-bans65096

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

in regards to this; my japanese is not great but it says something about the Shell Unit (the glowy parts) being "in mold parts" in this one. the previous aerial kit used stickers for that right? is this implying that it's going to do something different? idk if anybody can read the fourth slide

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The first Aerial had stickers for that if you wanted, but it also came with a painted part for them too.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Reading the slides it's the exact same setup as the original. Molded parts or stickers with a choice for red glow on or off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And if it's anything like the regular Aerial, the stickers are nice, but the molded part is better and easier.