Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Oh my God if we somehow get an extended cover story arc or something of Law stuck with Garp temporarily as they escape the Blackbeard pirates, realizing that Luffy's apple didn't fall all that far from the tree.

Coby literally strapped to Law's head to help carry him around.

Garp: You're not gonna kill this brat, he's gonna join the Marines!
Law: Like hell I am!!!

With how the entire BB crew has been spread out to carry out whatever plan he's got, it wouldn't surprise me if there was already some of his crew on Elbaf and they were planning on meeting up after BB was finished with whoever he encountered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I do not know if Garp will win. I do not know if Garp will even survive.

I do know that Garp will punch Blackbeard in the face at least one time(s).

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
I hope we see garp punch as hard as he can and it’s epic

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
feels like ive been waiting for garps epic punch for months...

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I think Garps gonna end up trading himself for Coby.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Garp will offer Teech a rice cracker and they'll all have a nice time.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

No Wave posted:

I think Garps gonna end up trading himself for Coby.

This seems likely, because it further sets up a repeat of the Rocky Port Incident with a new generation and would be a great way of leading us to Blackbeard's defeat.

Perhaps the big secret behind the original incident (beyond just a navy vice admiral teaming up with a pirate) is that Garp has knowledge relating to Laugh Tale and the One Piece that helped Roger get there; he could have learned something from the Rocks pirates which he considered important enough to team up with his rival to take them down there and then, which Roger then used to reach Laugh Tale. It would be a cool thematic moment if history repeated itself.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

MorningMoon posted:

Garp will offer Teech a rice cracker and they'll all have a nice time.

Blackbeard: This cracker tastes awful!
Garo: This tea tastes awful!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Seems to me that garp going after Blackbeard is specifically to give law an out from dying as a thank you from garp for saving Luffy. Whether garp survives is a different question

Garp.os currently the physically strongest person in op?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Violen posted:

feels like ive been waiting for garps epic punch for months...

I miss Elizabello :(

Jose posted:

Garp.os currently the physically strongest person in op?

Kind of an anomalus term in a manga where a guy turned into a mountain before another guy cut him in half, but feel like the "strongest" has gotta be Burgess, right?

Crazyeyes fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 10, 2023

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Given the crazy Conqueror's stuff we saw between Roger and Whitebeard, it seems likely that anyone who could go toe to toe with either of them probably had it themselves, right? If this is where we finally see Garp go all out on somebody, are we gonna find out he has it as well?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Bleck posted:

Given the crazy Conqueror's stuff we saw between Roger and Whitebeard, it seems likely that anyone who could go toe to toe with either of them probably had it themselves, right? If this is where we finally see Garp go all out on somebody, are we gonna find out he has it as well?

I thought the requirement with combating conqueror's haki was more having your own sense of confidence and inner strength, not necessarily having the haki to "push back" against. If that was the case then everyone would have it to some degree.

As I wrote that it occurred to me that that wouldn't be the worst reveal in the world, but a bit bland to minimize the specialness and rarity of "conquerors" in the world. Really reduces everything and everyone to just how many midichlorians they have.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Crazyeyes posted:

As I wrote that it occurred to me that that wouldn't be the worst reveal in the world, but a bit bland to minimize the specialness and rarity of "conquerors" in the world. Really reduces everything and everyone to just how many midichlorians they have.

I'm not necessarily a fan of it, just predicting stuff based on how some of it appears to be. If anything I trust Oda to make it more interesting than it sounds.

Crazyeyes posted:

I thought the requirement with combating conqueror's haki was more having your own sense of confidence and inner strength, not necessarily having the haki to "push back" against. If that was the case then everyone would have it to some degree.

I feel like that might, thematically, be a thing that eventually gets revealed - rather than "very few people have Conqueror's Haki," it might be "literally everybody has it, it's just that few people actually stumble into the conditions where they learn to use it."

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

imo Garp's escapades are about to set off a big chain of events that will remind everyone why the policy of the Marines is to not challenge any part of an Emperor's crew without permission. Stussy was just saying a few chapters ago that a minor scuffle could lead to war. I think that build up is what's happening. I cannot wait to see Akainu react to this

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Bleck posted:

I'm not necessarily a fan of it, just predicting stuff based on how some of it appears to be. If anything I trust Oda to make it more interesting than it sounds.

I feel like that might, thematically, be a thing that eventually gets revealed - rather than "very few people have Conqueror's Haki," it might be "literally everybody has it, it's just that few people actually stumble into the conditions where they learn to use it."

There's something to be said about the fact we're pretty much exclusively dealing with insanely powerful and famous individuals. Even Garp in his old age has enough in-universe cred for Sengoku to feel the need to physically restrain him so he didn't straight up murder an admiral. If he doesn't have Conqueror's haki, he at the very least certainly knows how to combat it or he wouldn't have gotten as far as he has.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

U-DO Burger posted:

imo Garp's escapades are about to set off a big chain of events that will remind everyone why the policy of the Marines is to not challenge any part of an Emperor's crew without permission. Stussy was just saying a few chapters ago that a minor scuffle could lead to war. I think that build up is what's happening. I cannot wait to see Akainu react to this

Oda was on record some years back saying the final "war" will dwarf Marineford, so he has to set up the war at some point. BB is set up to be the new Rocks, so Luffy pairing up with the Marines to defeat him, followed by a fight with the Celestial Dragons, seems reasonable as an overarching plot moving forward.

Edit: Just came across an old, debunked theory suggesting that Kaido was actually a Road Poneglyph that came to life after it was fed a devil fruit. Thought I'd share. Add it to the pile of truly unhinged One Piece theories.

Crazyeyes fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 10, 2023

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

U-DO Burger posted:

I'd like him to get the intel about Lucci starting poo poo with Luffy, have his flip out, then just as he starts to calm down he gets told about Garp's road trip. Marine HQ then erupts like Mt. St. Helens.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Crazyeyes posted:

Kind of an anomalus term in a manga where a guy turned into a mountain before another guy cut him in half, but feel like the "strongest" has gotta be Burgess, right?

Oh yeah
Burgess is going to get completely chumped in a contest of strength against garp.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Garp used to punch mountains to dust for training.

Sorta makes me wonder how strong prime Don Chinjao was, considering that Garp had to level over a dozen mountains so he could finally tilt his head.

Like, obviously he lost in the end and he's way past his prime now, and I doubt he was Shiki/Roger/Whitebeard level, but he must've still been pretty high up back then.

EDIT: Especially since this is before the reveal that Garp was one of the guys who took down Rocks, the biggest and worst pirate to ever exist in the past. Retroactively makes prime Chinjao seem even more like a threat.

ZepiaEltnamOberon fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 11, 2023

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Guy who has not caught up update: I’m currently on chapter 678, pretty deep in the Punk Hazard arc. I’m finding it kind of a slog to get through. Is this a common consensus or do I just need to take a break for a little bit?

I find the elements to be overstuffed and not quite congealing the way these stories tend to be. So many disparate pieces moving around and I have yet to find a coherent theme to tie them together. It’s coming off as noise to me.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Punk Hazard sucks it’s not just you.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Guy who has not caught up update: I’m currently on chapter 678, pretty deep in the Punk Hazard arc. I’m finding it kind of a slog to get through. Is this a common consensus or do I just need to take a break for a little bit?

I find the elements to be overstuffed and not quite congealing the way these stories tend to be. So many disparate pieces moving around and I have yet to find a coherent theme to tie them together. It’s coming off as noise to me.

Punk Hazard is kind of a poo poo Happens arc. There's good and bad to that, like the Yeti Cool Brothers were a cool design and idea that promptly just disappears and retroactively has very little point. While we often meet cool new people/creatures and then never see them again, given the island hopping nature of the story, I don't think there's any arc where so many characters and ideas pop up just to then go away and have no real point. Like, even the environment itself is a cool idea that then has little bearing on anything since the actual story is all taking place inside an underground bunker.

I still like it, and personally find that it words better than the following Dressrosa arc. However I think I might hate everything having to do with the main non-Strawhat heroine in that more than most people.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i liked sanji making friends.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
I wish I could figure out how to make critiques as detailed as "the arc has all these elements yet none of them really congeal".

Gyges posted:

I still like it, and personally find that it words better than the following Dressrosa arc. However I think I might hate everything having to do with the main non-Strawhat heroine in that more than most people.

There's three princesses in Dressrosa, and none of them really contribute to the plot. Also Koala is just there.

Delphisage fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 11, 2023

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Delphisage posted:

I wish I could figure out how to make critiques as detailed as "the arc has all these elements yet none of them really congeal".

There's three princesses in Dressrosa, and none of them really contribute to the plot.

I like Viola, even if her character is in large part being "What if Cocoyasi Nami, except with gigantic tits". The other two are largely a drag on Kyros being the best dude on the island.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Delphisage posted:

I’m picking up on your sarcasm but I’m over 3/4ths through this arc and I’m not yet picking up a running theme here.

As far as I can tell, it’s something to do with things being split. The samurai, the chimera pirates, the harpy woman, Law switching around the bodies, and the island itself.

Then you have the mad doctor and the drug addicted babies. I’m sure Oda may be going somewhere with this but to me it’s taking a long time to make the connections for how the conflict in the lab ties into the split nature of everything else.

Where I’m at, it doesn’t feel like the conflict has a grander message behind it than, say, the Fishman Island arc. It feels shallow and the mad doctor reads kinda flat right now, though I like his laugh.

I’m not finished yet so hopefully I’ll be proven wrong here, but this has been a pretty slow arc to read through.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I’m picking up on your sarcasm.

It's not sarcasm. I'm wishing I was smarter out loud.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Delphisage posted:

It's not sarcasm. I'm wishing I was smarter out loud.

My bad, friend.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Punk Hazard is a slog but it’s important for the later story.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Punk Hazard is a slog but it’s important for the later story.

In that Law is a Strawhat in everything but name only

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjHY_yIrQBA

Also Chopper Hat

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
if you're looking for thematic depth i don't think you're going to find much of it in punk hazard

narratively it's mostly just set-up for the next decade of the manga. i don't think it's terrible and it doesn't really fell into the trap of having way too many moving parts like some of the later arcs do (though it still has plenty), but it still was probably a bit longer than it needed to be

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Infinitum posted:

In that Law is a Strawhat in everything but name only

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjHY_yIrQBA

Also Chopper Hat

Don’t forget the introduction to Gastino’s cousin

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Punk Hazard gives me Franky x Robin material (Robin gives Franky a lap pillow) so it rules.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Franky, Robin, and Jimbei are in a polycule don’t @ me

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I’m picking up on your sarcasm but I’m over 3/4ths through this arc and I’m not yet picking up a running theme here.

As far as I can tell, it’s something to do with things being split. The samurai, the chimera pirates, the harpy woman, Law switching around the bodies, and the island itself.

Then you have the mad doctor and the drug addicted babies. I’m sure Oda may be going somewhere with this but to me it’s taking a long time to make the connections for how the conflict in the lab ties into the split nature of everything else.

Where I’m at, it doesn’t feel like the conflict has a grander message behind it than, say, the Fishman Island arc. It feels shallow and the mad doctor reads kinda flat right now, though I like his laugh.

I’m not finished yet so hopefully I’ll be proven wrong here, but this has been a pretty slow arc to read through.
Punk Hazard is the first act of a story that will take 10 years to play out.

I liked it a lot better on reread. It's core theme, if there is one, is exploration and discovery. What wonders await in the terrifying new world? But everything they discover turns out to be lovely/horrific, so they resolve to do something about it. It's an arc about making new connections and getting new motivations that will be paid off later. Horrible stuff is going on and human connections are what we gotta hold on to to even begin to fix poo poo.

Honestly though, the setup in retrospect seems like it might not have been enough, so there's a bunch more random (theoretically) fun stuff thrown in there like the Yeti Cool Brothers and the whole soul swapping thing that are just kind of a pile of things, and I totally get how the whole thing- meaningful introductions and bizarre side adventures- all kind of blend together into a pile of unsatisfying stuff.

And I should say I'm talking about the literal plot. I wouldn't expect any sort of difficult symbolism or anything like that. It's just an adventure. And not one with a powerful message like Fishman Island. At least not on its own. It's worth thinking back to in half a dozen arcs when you understand the structure of the New World better.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
When are we going to see more Urouge? He's the only Supernova who hasn't interacted with the Straw Hats since the timeskip. Even Killer has had more screen time than Urouge.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Wouldn't be surprised if he was on Elbaf.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Punk Hazard gives me Franky x Robin material (Robin gives Franky a lap pillow) so it rules.

Franky X Robin is just one of those ships that I just don't get at all. They're just so completely different and non-compatable. Even if Robin grabbing his balls back at Water 7 grants way more actual physical evidence for it that 99.995% of all ships.

As far as inter-Strawhat romance goes, I'd say maybe Robin X Nami might make sense. Otherwise, that's just a whole lot of everyone taking very long bathroom trips.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Wouldn't be surprised if he was on Elbaf.

This or something involving another sky island, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Gyges posted:

Franky X Robin is just one of those ships that I just don't get at all. They're just so completely different and non-compatable. Even if Robin grabbing his balls back at Water 7 grants way more actual physical evidence for it that 99.995% of all ships.

As far as inter-Strawhat romance goes, I'd say maybe Robin X Nami might make sense. Otherwise, that's just a whole lot of everyone taking very long bathroom trips.

Franky is a cyborg, he can modify himself to be compatable with anyone

anyways in the bird cage part of delarosa arc, honestly new world/time skip is pretty eh so far. Some good gags (hello baby man) but the main arcs are eh, dont care about most of the new secondary chars. Need less giant tiddies and more silly looking ppl

god usopp was an incredible gag tho