Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
When we got a new dishwasher earlier this year I discovered that the switch under the sink that ostensibly controlled the dishwasher wasn't actually wired up to anything and our old dishwasher was hardwired without any disconnect other than the breaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

wesleywillis posted:

Ok ok I'll post it. "It's impossible to predict how tiles will line up".

I'm remodeling my bathroom and I'm close to setting the shower valves and the amount of times I've muttered this is off the charts. I sure hope my estimates of mortar and tile thickness are right.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I have two sinks (one kitchen one bathroom) where they somehow managed to buy a trap that was too big for the drawer in the unit below it so in one they crudely hacked out/bent the back of the drawer to make space, and in the other just left it so the drawer bonks into the trap if you pull it out which has loosened it to the point of leaking.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I am not sure if this is crappy construction, or just crappy maintenance. Probably a bit of both.

I have been in my current house for 3 years now. Late last week the kitchen sinks started draining slow. With a garbage disposal on one of the drains, I figured I got a food clog in there somewhere. I ran a full bottle of Draino, and a quarter bottle at a time, no change. So next I get my 20 foot drain snake and give that a try by removing the P Trap of the non-disposal sink. I don’t feel any obvious clogs, and when I get everything back together, it’s still slow (but no leaks at least).

Since it is 30ish feet from the back of my house where the kitchen sink is to the front of the house where the big 4 inch drain line is, I think maybe the snake couldn’t reach it. So I go into the basement to open the clean out on the 2 inch kitchen drain line and try from there. It should allow me to get the whole thing snaked. Luckily (or unluckily), I was to busy dealing with the horror I found in that 2 inch PVC pipe to be bothered to take any pictures of what I found. The drain line was 95%+ full of solidified grease. That was a quick “holy poo poo, I really need gloves for this” moment. I was able to get the clean out back on and grab some nitrile type of gloves to clean everything up and get a good seal on the clean out drain cap.

I then got a sewer rodding company out there a couple of days later to clean the whole thing out in like 10 minutes.

30 feet of basically flat 2 inch PVC drain line with what I can only assume is over 30 years of grease in it. I don’t go pouring bacon grease down the drain, but I am sure small amounts get down from when I clean up after dinner. But I really doubt we clogged that drain that badly in 3 years. I learned I need to be proactive in running really hot water down that drain.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Orvin posted:

30 feet of basically flat 2 inch PVC drain line with what I can only assume is over 30 years of grease in it. I don’t go pouring bacon grease down the drain, but I am sure small amounts get down from when I clean up after dinner. But I really doubt we clogged that drain that badly in 3 years. I learned I need to be proactive in running really hot water down that drain.

Insufficient slope is the common issue that causes this. If you got away with it for 30 years I wouldn't be too worried about correcting anything.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Motronic posted:

Insufficient slope is the common issue that causes this. If you got away with it for 30 years I wouldn't be too worried about correcting anything.

Good to know. The 30 years is just a guess. I have no idea what the previous owners had to have done. All I know for sure is I got away with a little over 3 years without doing anything extra.

I was just a little too used to my old house that had all the sinks/tub/toilet centrally located. So it went to a big cast iron drain stack after less than like 5 feet of run at like a 15-30 degree slope. I only had to worry about clogs after my now wife moved in with me and her hair would get into the tub drain.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
my cousin is on septic and i guess the previous owners would dump their grease down the drain, no idea why. well i guess after two or three years of them living there combined with whatever the previous owners did, enough residual slop went down to back up their lines, so that's where i was at this weekend. not a squeamish guy but gently caress the smell of like ten year old grease and knowing it's someone else's slop was brutal.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

my cousin is on septic and i guess the previous owners would dump their grease down the drain, no idea why. well i guess after two or three years of them living there combined with whatever the previous owners did, enough residual slop went down to back up their lines, so that's where i was at this weekend. not a squeamish guy but gently caress the smell of like ten year old grease and knowing it's someone else's slop was brutal.

Little dab of vapor rub under your nose will do wonders for blocking out smells.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Motronic posted:

Lol what? That's a perfectly reasonable way to do it. Same way a washer drain is constructed. This would also constitute an air gap for somewhere that requires one without using up space on your sink that could be better used for a soap dispenser and air switch for the disposal.

See the inlet on the disposal for the hose that's hastily sealed with nitrile glove and packaging tape?

That's where the old dishwasher hose went.

E: I didn't notice it was left open when maintenance left. Had been using the sink infrequently for a week or so, found all my poo poo soaked under the sink. Tape and gloves were what I had handy. Doesn't leak and they can fix it when I move out.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 10, 2023

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

what the gently caress

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Vim Fuego posted:

what the gently caress

I know right? Taking a picture before the dazzle camo paint job, way to jump the gun

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Orvin posted:

I am not sure if this is crappy construction, or just crappy maintenance. Probably a bit of both.

I had two feet of this and I gagged. I had to cut out a pipe section for an unrelated repair. Anything you can do raise the pipe and keep a slope will help, the 12 feet that were sloped even minimally (1/4" to 1/2" per foot) was fine. The flat to negative section was nearly full.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

See the inlet on the disposal for the hose that's hastily sealed with nitrile glove and packaging tape?

E: I didn't notice it was left open when maintenance left. Had been using the sink infrequently for a week or so, found all my poo poo soaked under the sink. Tape and gloves were what I had handy. Doesn't leak and they can fix it when I move out.

You buried the lede a little bit there, it's pretty hard to see in the photo.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
My bad.

Also my damp cabinet.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Man am I glad that I got a sewer line cleanout and specifically the kitchen run done before we moved in.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

Vim Fuego posted:

what the gently caress

The missing handrail really sets it off, it only needs irregular tread spacing to graduate to premeditated murder.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Wait, so what happened? The dishwasher was previously hooked up (properly) to the disposal, and they decided for whatever reason to jury-rig an air gap under the sink, and because they jury-rigged it, didn't have a second line leaving the air gap to hook back up to the disposal? Why would someone even bother with this?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

ROJO posted:

Wait, so what happened? The dishwasher was previously hooked up (properly) to the disposal, and they decided for whatever reason to jury-rig an air gap under the sink, and because they jury-rigged it, didn't have a second line leaving the air gap to hook back up to the disposal? Why would someone even bother with this?

Why wouldn't he remember unhooking the hose for the old dishwasher from the disposal? The swap was done in an hour. That air gap stack was always under the sink, just doesn't punch up to the sink.

The mysteries of apartment maintenance techs.

This place is weird. In-floor water line heat. No furnace or blower (farts will haunt you). And it takes a solid 3 minutes for the shower to hit 100°F (it gets to around 125°F for brief spells). Everyone around me has scolding hot water and I have to boil on the stove if I'm hand washing dishes. And they don't know why. Lol. They're installing a small electric water heater in a kitchen cabinet next month to keep me from harassing the next person up.

The last dishwasher had the heating element fail, but it was 6 years old. New one works much better, until that heating element fails.

But $900/mo for a 2 bed apartment in Colorado, I'm not arguing, and I've taken colder showers.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Everyone around me has scolding hot water and I have to boil on the stove if I'm hand washing dishes.

water coming out of the faucet just yelling angrily "why are you using so much hot water?? STOP WASTING ENERGY"

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Goddamn autocorrect :argh:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

SyNack Sassimov posted:

water coming out of the faucet just yelling angrily "why are you using so much hot water?? STOP WASTING ENERGY"

Hahaha

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

opengl posted:

https://i.imgur.com/bEt808j.mp4

Worst part (besides the obvious) is running a hammer drill indoors with kids in the same room with no earpro. Feel bad for them.

Dudebro here is actually the founder and CEO of a 2 billion dollar tech company, confirming my suspicion that CEOs are the dumbest people ever.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
now the faucet holes can be used for bathroom sno cones

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Other than the aesthetics, something is telling me that is a really bad idea. But I am not a plumber, so I can only make a few poor guesses as to why that is a bad idea.

My main guess is those shutoff valves are not meant to be used like that, and are going to fail, or just be useless for fine control of the water.

Can someone with real plumbing knowledge inform us why this may be a particularly bad idea?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Orvin posted:

Other than the aesthetics, something is telling me that is a really bad idea. But I am not a plumber, so I can only make a few poor guesses as to why that is a bad idea.

My main guess is those shutoff valves are not meant to be used like that, and are going to fail, or just be useless for fine control of the water.

Can someone with real plumbing knowledge inform us why this may be a particularly bad idea?

Well, there are a couple of issues.

For one thing, most shut-off valves are not also inherently one-way valves, and when they are, they're usually ball valves, I've never seen a one-way wheel valve, so most likely if you're "mixing" water with this you're going to get cold water pushing its way into your hot water(because cold water is almost always something like 3x the pressure of your hot water, the exact pressure depending on local conditions and such) and going to just get, at best, luke-warm water. In your entire building. So lmao to that part. There's usually a very visible one-way arrow on the valve if it's one-way, and I don't think I see that on these, I'm pretty sure it's just a manufacturer logo.

Secondly, in a normal faucet, if your valves start getting clogged with limescale or ochre or whatever, it's built so you can pop them out and replace them without replacing the entire faucet. Here you can't, plus they're soldered in place, so any long-term maintenance or repair is also pretty hosed.

Then there are the big holes in the wall past whatever passes for the local wet-membrane, right next to a big splashy water thing. Also lmao. Oh and for ???? reasons a loving electrical outlet right next to it, I just keep spotting more hosed up things every time I look at this picture.

Copper's also a relatively soft material, so good odds are someone will manage to snap the entire thing off some day when the valves are a bit stiff from age, plus of course the most likely point for it to snap will be between the valve and the wall, the part that you can't shut off, and which will likely introduce a lot of water into the space behind the wall before it's shut off.

This isn't even getting into other potential issues like whatever condensation is going to happen on those pipes inside the wall.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

Well, there are a couple of issues.

For one thing, most shut-off valves are not also inherently one-way valves, and when they are, they're usually ball valves, I've never seen a one-way wheel valve

You can put a wheel on a ball valve. It's not like the handle is integral to the mechanism.

e: Not that they look to be ball valves. But you could get the ӕsthetics with ball valves.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

There's also the ergonomics issue of being terrible to use compared to a one-handed mixing faucet, but that feels like a secondary problem.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I see nobody mentioned just how soft and wobbly the whole thing is, especially the piece of soft copper coil used for the spigot section. All the weigh is supported by pipes coming out of the wall, and god knows what's happening behind the drywall. It's going to fall apart in spectacular ways, especially if there are children in the house.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The hot side pipe is going to get really really hot too

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
:yikes:

https://twitter.com/PlanningShit/status/1613069915346329600?s=20&t=fuUspWstfC3iFvXI-A77Yw

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

PurpleXVI posted:

Secondly, in a normal faucet, if your valves start getting clogged with limescale or ochre or whatever, it's built so you can pop them out and replace them without replacing the entire faucet. Here you can't, plus they're soldered in place, so any long-term maintenance or repair is also pretty hosed.

THose valves look like they can have the guts removed to replace washers/o-rings etc.

Not that I'm saying its good, just slightly less lovely I guess.

Quarter turn valves would probably be also "better", but what the gently caress do I know?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

wesleywillis posted:

THose valves look like they can have the guts removed to replace washers/o-rings etc.

Not that I'm saying its good, just slightly less lovely I guess.

Quarter turn valves would probably be also "better", but what the gently caress do I know?

Alternately if you really wanted to make this monstrosity, you'd have had the valves not soldered on, but attached at... I don't know what they're called in English, but in Danish they'd be "union" fittings, essentially a location where you can split the pipes without having to rotate the entire assembly, and you'd also have fitted on some one-way valves just before the point where the water met.

Quarter turn ball valves are absolutely superior in every way to wheel valves, but they tend to look more "industrial," which is why a lot of people don't seem to like using them in locations where they're visible. hosed if I know why, to me it'd be more important that my plumbing worked right.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Awww poo poo, my on demand water heater showed up a few weeks early and gets installed tomorrow.

Goddamnit that means I have to clean today.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

None of that really matters when the basic issue is that faucets need to be decoupled from the in wall plumbing with hoses because copper work hardens and will crack and leak in no time at all with any real "use" of that monstrosity. Most likely at the presumably 90s or tees in the wall feeding the stub outs.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Motronic posted:

None of that really matters when the basic issue is that faucets need to be decoupled from the in wall plumbing with hoses because copper work hardens and will crack and leak in no time at all with any real "use" of that monstrosity. Most likely at the presumably 90s or tees in the wall feeding the stub outs.

So what you're saying is the real issue is that the whole thing should've been made from a superior material: PEX.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

moist turtleneck posted:

now the faucet holes can be used for bathroom sno cones

I wonder if you could get away with this in 316

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
You can get copper-coated steel pipe, though I don't know if it's appropriate for plumbing. The copper coating can be scratched off, of course. And it'd be harder to shape into curves, and probably has some other drawbacks. But I can't imagine it'd be worse than what is pictured.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Beef Of Ages posted:

Same, we actually wound up replacing an old dishwasher early in our first house in Austin because there was a light switch that I couldn't figure out what it went to so, of course, I turned it off. Took several hours and a new dishwasher that still didn't work combined with a cornucopia of inventive cursing before asking neighbors and finding out about the light switch. The old dishwasher would've needed to be replaced anyway within a year or so but it was still not how I wanted to spend that Saturday.

I grew up in the Houston area, went to college in east Texas, and had family all over south Texas and never saw that outside of central Texas.

I wonder if that's what the blank plate in my back-splash used to be? I assumed it was for a previous disposal switch (Dallas-Fort Worth area.)

canyoneer posted:

My worst code annoyance was living in a place that did not allow garbage disposals on sinks at all. Was not fun to forget that every day and then have to scoop out food scraps and cooking debris by hand because the city's medieval sewer system couldn't risk it.

Actually, strike that, the worst is being unable to flush toilet paper.

Oh, :barf:

Lemniscate Blue posted:

My current rental house in the north Dallas suburbs has a light switch cutoff for the dishwasher. It's not the only place I've lived in north Texas that has had one, but not all of them have. Which is why I have had a couple experiences much like you describe above - I keep forgetting it's a thing.

Put a switch guard over it so you have to think about it before switching (also prevents accidental switching.)
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=switch+gaurd

StormDrain posted:

I'm remodeling my bathroom and I'm close to setting the shower valves and the amount of times I've muttered this is off the charts. I sure hope my estimates of mortar and tile thickness are right.

I hope so. The dingleberry who remodeled our master bath (long before we bought the place) got it wrong, and I have to shorten knobs if and when I replace them. Metal knobs. Also, the shower head and valves are off center by 1-1/2 tiles, and the shower head is placed for a little person. Well, littler than me, anyway. I have a hand-held head on a separate bracket mounted to the wall to get it higher, which also incidentally lets me center it so I'm not tight up against one wall while showering.
Oh, also, the shower pan is about 4" shorter than the available space, so the built out the wet wall to compensate - which is where they got the position of the valves wrong. Also, also, a couple of the courses of tile don't line up by about 1/16"-1/8" vertically on that wall. Like, they got the spacing between wrong here and there.

I'd love to put in a soaker tub for my wife, but the available length (after the wall is put back where it goes...) is only 54". Not a lot of tubs in that size, and I wouldn't want to use it anyway. I'd rather build a custom pan to fit, eventually. The fiberglass one is getting a bit ragged looking.

StormDrain posted:

I had two feet of this and I gagged. I had to cut out a pipe section for an unrelated repair. Anything you can do raise the pipe and keep a slope will help, the 12 feet that were sloped even minimally (1/4" to 1/2" per foot) was fine. The flat to negative section was nearly full.

Also, don't dump grease down the drain if you can help it. Hot water may get it further, but it'll either collect in your pipes, or the city's pipes. Google "fatberg".

PurpleXVI posted:

I don't know what they're called in English, but in Danish they'd be "union" fittings, essentially a location where you can split the pipes without having to rotate the entire assembly,

Pipe union is correct.

Just to jump on the bandwagon - what about the original faucet holes in the basin?

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Empty Sandwich posted:

a 6' black rat snake used to hang out in my parents' dryer vent. it was always kind of jarring to walk into the basement and hear him panic and kind of schloop out of there

I used to do appliance installation and this one house had an outdoor rabbit and it would live in the dryer vent and when I installed the new dryer there was so much rabbit poo poo and shed fur in the vent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Hogsmeade community center