Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Didn't realise there was actually a third gender swap show but this time it's an isekai too

He's reborn into the same world, so it's not isekai :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

reborn to master the blade seems aggressively fine, its well made but theres no real story hook and no spice besides the gender swap which it's unclear how much it's gonna care about. main appeal is cv: akari kitou + attractive char design

also its got a mouthful of a title and the short name appears to be 'auo' which doesnt really parse

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Tamba posted:

He's reborn into the same world, so it's not isekai :colbert:

As long as the world is drastically different from the one they left I'd say calling it isekai is fine.

I'd say Dr. Stone is isekai too for the same reason.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Everything is isekai

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Wish the fans would iseDIE

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Tales of Woe posted:

reborn to master the blade seems aggressively fine, its well made but theres no real story hook and no spice besides the gender swap which it's unclear how much it's gonna care about. main appeal is cv: akari kitou + attractive char design

also its got a mouthful of a title and the short name appears to be 'auo' which doesnt really parse

Just watch Fantasy Bishoujo again.

...which no-one has voted for yet in the aoty thread, you monsters

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

come to think of it i'd watch an adaptation of Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, why isnt there an adaptation of the OG isekai

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Sleng Teng posted:

for some reason I did not expect Kubo to have purple hair. I must have forgotten all of the color pages in the manga or something

It's only been a month!

As for the anime, I thought it was a pretty decent adaptation. The sound design is a little weak, but I thought it did a decent job of capturing the manga's art style.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Tales of Woe posted:

Eiyuuou = AUO (also see same for Gilgamesh from Fate)

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Brutal Garcon posted:

Just watch Fantasy Bishoujo again.

...which no-one has voted for yet in the aoty thread, you monsters

fabuniku is a SOLID 7th place

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

symbolic posted:

come to think of it i'd watch an adaptation of Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, why isnt there an adaptation of the OG isekai

Alice in Wonderland has it beat by 24 years. Once you start listing them off there's a whole lot of them: Wizard of Oz, Chronicles of Narnia, John Carter (Barsoom), Peter Pan, Flash Gordon, The Magic Faraway Tree, etc etc
Lots of more modern ones as well: Jumanji, Super Mario, Tron, Neverending Story, Planet of the Apes, blah blah blah

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Handyman Saitou was pleasant, I appreciated the item shop girl.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

High Card was surprisingly good. Maybe more style than substance but it has a cool jazzy soundtrack and some funny stand powers.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Went into High Card expecting another gambling show. Came out with gambling Jojo. I know I'm gonna stick with a series when I make its own folder in my Videos directory.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Handyman Saitou sure does feel like a 1-2 page manga adapted to anime without any real thought for connective tissue. It's not bad but feels very disjointed

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i'm really disappointed that they're doing it so mechanically

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Handyman Saitou sure does feel like a 1-2 page manga adapted to anime without any real thought for connective tissue. It's not bad but feels very disjointed

I'm curious whether they'll keep this choppy gag-a-minute jumping back and forth pacing (which so far is really faithful to how the manga is paced, they only rearrange the order slightly) during the entire cour or whether they'll start slowing it down eventually. I should check back on the manga and see how much of it they fit into the first episode and whether there's enough manga material left for the remainder of the cour but :effort:

E: episode 1 covers chapters 1-9 and MandaDex only goes up to chapter 59 so far, but some of the later chapters are a fair bit longer than the early chapters

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jan 11, 2023

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Ningen Fushin is a show that I'd say rarely if ever rises above adequate in its animation, but it does have its moments in some quick cuts and stills which lead me to believe that there is some heart behind the production.

Don't blow up the big slimes with magic.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

symbolic posted:

It's hard to top Army of Darkness.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Xelkelvos posted:

It's hard to top Army of Darkness.

I dont know about you but Army Of Darkness really could have used a ten minute long aside where Ash walks into a slave market and buys a big tittied elf waifu while proselytizing to the audience about the value of owning people.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

please stop

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

I dont know about you but Army Of Darkness really could have used a ten minute long aside where Ash walks into a slave market and buys a big tittied elf waifu while proselytizing to the audience about the value of owning people.
its weird that you fetishize slavery so much but im not here to yuk someones yum i guess

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I liked how an isekai a couple of seasons ago had a demihuman slave the MC had saved from slavers and she immediately turned around and said "please collar me again, I wouldn't mind it if it was you" and the MC said "what? what the gently caress? Throw that loving collar away. I'm not going to enslave you."

Or something to that effect. I can't be assed to look up the exact dialog.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Endorph posted:

its weird that you fetishize slavery so much but im not here to yuk someones yum i guess

Do you want me to put up a disclaimer so people can tell when I'm taking the piss?

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
For the love of God find a new topic, like how Mononogatari seems to be a perfectly average supernatural battle series with a weird filter that breaks the compositing. Or how UniteUp had an incredibly solid premiere that should work for even people with reservations about male idol shows.

That new Nihei show is airing today too.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Nitrousoxide posted:

I liked how an isekai a couple of seasons ago had a demihuman slave the MC had saved from slavers and she immediately turned around and said "please collar me again, I wouldn't mind it if it was you" and the MC said "what? what the gently caress? Throw that loving collar away. I'm not going to enslave you."

Or something to that effect. I can't be assed to look up the exact dialog.

Sorry it's still weird and creepy that the character was asking to be enslaved in the first place, even if the protagonist actually didn't follow through with it. Even when a protagonist is saving slaves in isekais its still a fetish thing. There is always a cute catgirl/elf that is eternally grateful to them for doing it. You never see them saving a random group of people because its the right thing to do.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

It would be interesting if there was more to it than "the creepy fetish plot presented exactly the same but the character rejects it instead of embracing it so you can feel good about the character's actions in this contrived creepy fetish scenario"

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

BOY CAN'T WAIT FOR EP 2 OF HIGH CARD

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Patware posted:

BOY CAN'T WAIT FOR EP 2 OF HIGH CARD

honestly if it's as good as ep1 i think it merits a siren/thread

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wow Carol's voice is awful

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Perfect for the character

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Carol's loving hilarious, most of the bits with her were great.

Southern Cassowary fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 11, 2023

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Bofuri S2 is good. I'll never tire of giant xenomorph Maple

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this line/bit wasnt in the original magirevo LNs so i get why it isnt in the anime but still a massive loss to society

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Caphi posted:

I read the opposite, friend is reading a lot into the political situation but afraid it's all going to be backgrounded in favor of fluff. I don't know how you'd get that impression from either the episode or the synopsis though, like, it looks like their relationship is going to develop alongside the titular Magic Revolution they engineer.

Yep. It's anime we are talking about, so it's normal to fear it will devolve in stereotypes instead of the interesting stuff.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Kaina of the Great Snow Sea

Finally something good. This first episode presents what it seems a story of a very classic scifi style, with post-post-apocalypse setting mixed with some weird scifi ecology. It actually is the Blame! author doing Nausicaa, I think that's the easiest way to explain it.
Like Nausicaa, it seems to be some very far away future where there are primitive tribes and villages, that live around some very alien ecology (in this case, huge "orbital trees" that form a canopy around the planet, a sea of "snow" and giant insects). LIke Nausicaa, there seems to be small and big tribes and nations, and a big one is attacking a small one which the princess is trying to save, they have primitive firearms and use chainmail or bone-based weapons. And the preview shows another girl as the possible leader of the bad guys.

I'm intrigued by the scifi trappings here. I can get the orbital trees but... what is the snow sea, exactly?

It's all brought down a bit just because the complete use of 3d graphics, but still looks acceptable in places. The direction was fine, and the action was clear to understand and it felt competent.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

You misspelled perfect.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

Yep. It's anime we are talking about, so it's normal to fear it will devolve in stereotypes instead of the interesting stuff.

nah anime is good op

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

this line/bit wasnt in the original magirevo LNs so i get why it isnt in the anime but still a massive loss to society

But she just said that in the second episode? Just without the harem background

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tamba posted:

But she just said that in the second episode? Just without the harem background

yes but the background is important