Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, some potential Hirogaru Sky info just dropped:

-We’re starting with a duo named Cure Sky and Cure Prism

-The transformation item is called Sky Mirage and it comes with another item called a Mirage Pen

-A character named Princess El is mentioned (likely the mentor figure for the series)

Some toy listings have also dropped that seem to confirm the Cure names:

Edit: Here’s a few more toy leaks while we’re at it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/precure/comments/zhhq8b/reposted_hirogaru_allstar_merch_henshin_item/

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And pretty much everything I posted above just got confirmed by Tokullectibles:

https://tokullectibles.com/collections/hirogaru-sky-precure

This item particularly intrigues me and I’m curious if it’ll actually be in the show (if so it’s looking more and more likely this might be the Gokaiger of Precure):

https://tokullectibles.com/collections/hirogaru-sky-precure/products/aim-longing-pretty-cure-mirror-pad

Larryb fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Dec 11, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It’s confirmed now that next year will indeed be Precure’s 20th anniversary. Seems Toei will be doing a little meet and greet event for the month of February as part of it:

https://twitter.com/all_precure_exh/status/1603223333671149568

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Silhouettes of the Hirogaru Sky team have appeared:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Delicious Party will be 45 episodes in total, tying it with Healin Good as the shortest Precure season to date:

https://twitter.com/precurenews01/status/1607890840684494848

Also while I kind of saw the Godatz reveal coming I wish they’d have built up to it a bit better (but then again, pacing has never been this season’s strong suit)

Considering Hirogaru Sky will be the first season with a duo we’ve had since they started doing the Cure cameos back in Maho Girls (though the baton pass at the end began in Happiness Charge) I’m curious if both Cure Sky and Cure Prism will show up in the Delicious Party finale or just Sky

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Dec 28, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I appear to be the only one who posts here anymore but the designs for the next Precure series Hirogaru Sky have been revealed:

Blue is Cure Sky (and apparently the lead which is a neat change of pace), White is Cure Prism, the baby is Princess L, and we don’t know who the other two are yet but likely will by this weekend (I’m guessing either Cures or alternate forms for the main two judging by how Orange appears on the card otherwise dedicated to Sky).

We have a blurry poster as well:

https://twitter.com/Maocochii/status/1610994017830928385

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Designs look good all hyped for duo's

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Designs look good all hyped for duo's

I’m curious what the deal with Pink and Orange is though since the silhouette reveal only showed Sky and Prism (and if they are Cures then this will be our first Orange since Sunny)

Each Cure seems to include design elements from one or more of their predecessors which is a nice touch

Also seems like Delicious Party will be tied with Healin Good as the shortest Precure season to date (45 episodes each)

Edit: It could be interesting if we had two separate Cure teams that eventually come together by the end. Kind of like Lupinranger Vs Patranger except with the teams (possibly) not being at odds with each other at first.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 5, 2023

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I'm too caught up in Zenkaiger to finish Healin' Good!

I will watch Hirogaru Sky and its weird purple baby though. I'll probably just skip Tropical Rouge and Delicious Party. Unless someone is like "No seriously this is the greatest Precure series in the history of the show." If it's just "Yeah it's really good" I can do without it. At least until I get more hard drive space and better internet.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Tropical Rouge has a decent cast at least even if the series itself has some issues (especially later on), Delicious Party has been mediocre at best and has a lot of issues with story and pacing (the narrator is largely pointless as well and more often than not just pipes up to explain the obvious) so that one’s honestly up to you

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Back to Hirogaru Sky, we’ve got some names and civilian forms:

Sora Harewataaru/Cure Sky (Blue Cure):

14 years old She comes from a country in the sky, Skyland. She has great athletic reflexes and she always does her best. She's aiming to be a Hero!

She transforms with the Sky Mirage and Sky Tone, same as Mashiro.

Sora's Secret: When she saved the princess that looked like she was captured, She was brought to Earth.

Her transformation phrase is: Mugen ni hirogaru, aoi sora, Cure Sky!/ Expanding endlessly, blue skies, Cure Sky!

Nijigaoka Mashiro / Cure Prism (white):

14 Years Old Lives with her grandmother in Sorashido City. Mashiro has a calm and gentle personality.

She transforms with the Sky Mirage and Sky Tone.

Mashiro's Secret: Mashiro gave Sora a new hero notebook.

Cure Prism's introduction phrase is Spreading A Soft, Gentle Light! Cure Prism!

So the lead (assuming Sky is the lead) comes from another world and is apparently really into superheroes, sounds good to me

What with the whole talk of heroes and this being the 20th anniversary I wonder if we’re going to get some Cure cameos like with Hugtto or if they’ll mostly stick to visual and thematic references

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jan 6, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And here’s the official poster for the series:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The way they're leaning into that 'dashing swashbuckler' vibe with the lead's one-shouldered duelling cape is pretty cool, at least. Hope she gets a magical rapier and pulls Zorro poo poo all over the place.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It’s also looking like Pink and Orange might be their own separate team (at first anyway), which would be kind of cool honestly as it essentially means we’ll be getting both a traditional and untraditional lead this season.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah this looks pretty cool. I've got high hopes after Delicious Precure being mostly middle of the road at best

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also with the advent of Cure Prism we now finally have enough white Cures to form their own team

But yeah, after Delicious Party being aggressively mediocre I’m really hoping Toei brings their A game to this

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The art style kind of reminds me of Takahashi Akira to be honest (who’s been with the franchise for a long time and it would make sense for him to take the helm again for the 20th anniversary) but I’m not 100% on that

It’s confirmed we’re getting an All Stars movie at least but I’m hoping the series itself leans into the anniversary in some aspect as well (preferably as much if not more than Hugtto did)

I wonder if they’ll bring back the anniversary messages at the start of each episode like they did in Happiness Charge (also it’s a long shot but I’d love it if some staff from the original Futari Wa returned as well)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The website is live:

https://www.asahi.co.jp/precure/hirogarusky/

Our Cures are:

Blue: Cure Sky (voiced by Akira Sekine)
White: Cure Prism (voiced by Ai Kakuma, who was previously Rabirin back in Healin Good)
Pink: Cure Butterfly
Orange: Cure Wing

Mascot: Princess El (voiced by Aoi Koga)

Villains: Andog Empire

And lastly we have a trailer:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=j0DUgBhsg_A

Sora/Cure Sky is indeed our main protagonist and can apparently transform on her own

Edit: Some general staff info:

Series director: Koji Ogawa
Writer: Ryuunosuke Kingetsu
Character design: Atsushi Saito
Art design: Miki Imai
Chief art: Aya Kadoguchi
Color design: Kumiko Yanagisawa
Music: Erika Fukasawa
Producer: Takashi Washio (the producer of both Futari Wa and Yes 5)

Atsushi Saito was the character designer for Love Live and Koji Ogawa was the director for Dragon Ball Super (fitting considering the director for Futari Wa-Splash Star worked on DBZ)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 8, 2023

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah just saw. This already is the wildest Precure what with Blue lead from another world and using the love live character designer.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Yeah just saw. This already is the wildest Precure what with Blue lead from another world and using the love live character designer.

Bringing back a veteran producer from the earliest days of the franchise as well and it’s written by the same guy who did Healin Good so hopefully that means we’re in for some decent character development and action scenes

Toei really seems to be going all out on this one and I appreciate it (curious how hard it’s going to lean into the anniversary aspect this time)

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

May the Sacred Flame shine forth!

Larryb posted:

Bringing back a veteran producer from the earliest days of the franchise as well and it’s written by the same guy who did Healin Good so hopefully that means we’re in for some decent character development and action scenes

Toei really seems to be going all out on this one and I appreciate it (curious how hard it’s going to lean into the anniversary aspect this time)

wasn't healin Good's headwriter Junko Komura? though i'm hoping for the best on this season myself.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

M.Matsuda posted:

wasn't healin Good's headwriter Junko Komura? though i'm hoping for the best on this season myself.

Ah yes, but Kingetsu did write a few episodes for the season at least as well as the series movie

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Considering Butterfly and Wing appear to be their own team I’m curious if we’re even going to get a midseason Cure this time around or if it’ll be more like HaCha where the 4 existing Cures finally come together as a single unit

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

Larryb posted:

Ah yes, but Kingetsu did write a few episodes for the season at least as well as the series movie

ah, thank you

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Correction: The villains of the new series are apparently called the Underground Empire as opposed to “Andog”

https://twitter.com/precurenews01/status/1611882880611020802

Though to be honest this makes more sense as the name of a rival to a kingdom in the sky

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 8, 2023

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
We must be wary about this "Andog".

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So essentially this series is about a war between Heaven and Hell with Earth caught in the middle, that could be interesting

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Seems the official translation of the new series is “Soaring Sky Precure”:

However, Hirogaru also doubles as a pun (Hirogaru = “Hero Girl”)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

A subbed version of the Hirogaru Sky trailer is out:

https://youtube.com/shorts/Mi2lGl65Tys

Sora’s catchphrase is apparently “It’s hero time!”

Also have a 20th anniversary image made by every main character designer in the franchise:

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jan 11, 2023

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Blossom is going to fall into that “U”

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Larryb posted:

A subbed version of the Hirogaru Sky trailer is out:

https://youtube.com/shorts/Mi2lGl65Tys

Sora’s catchphrase is apparently “It’s hero time!”

Also have a 20th anniversary image made by every main character designer in the franchise:

Man.

Look at how much Nagisa, Honoka, and Sora stand out.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hellioning posted:

Man.

Look at how much Nagisa, Honoka, and Sora stand out.

Manatsu as well to a slightly lesser extent

Also if Sora’s gonna be counted with the Pinks for the same reason Nagisa is (because main character) I guess Butterfly’s probably gonna get counted as a Yellow like Shiny Luminous was

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 11, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And speaking of Hirogaru Sky, Cure Wing may possibly be a bird fairy:

https://twitter.com/rarararanze/status/1612935719617716224

Of course, another possibility is that the hair is a coincidence and the fairy is actually just Butterfly and Wing’s partner/mentor figure

Also based on the merchandise released so far it seems that Wing may wind up joining the team before Butterfly:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=d_v8d8sLghE

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 11, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Preview of the Hirogaru Sky OP song:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=OiJpouVOjF8

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And off the subject of Precure here’s our first trailer for Sailor Moon Cosmos (aka the last part of Crystal):

https://youtube.com/watch?v=QpmunRdWROI

Just like the previous arc it’ll be a pair of movies releasing on 6/9 and 6/30 respectively

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Delicious party finale was at least visually amazing but I think I finally figured out why I'm overall down on this series and think it's one of the weaker ones. The problem is that Yui and the other Precure really aren't driving the main plot, the main characters doing that are Yui's garndma, Mari, and Takumi and his dad. And it makes it feel so aimless cause of it (Oddly enough the best episode I think was the one with Yui's double cause it was all the main cast)

I don't think it's Happiness Charge bad (cause Red/Blue is just terrible on multiple levels) but it's up there

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Delicious party finale was at least visually amazing but I think I finally figured out why I'm overall down on this series and think it's one of the weaker ones. The problem is that Yui and the other Precure really aren't driving the main plot, the main characters doing that are Yui's garndma, Mari, and Takumi and his dad. And it makes it feel so aimless cause of it (Oddly enough the best episode I think was the one with Yui's double cause it was all the main cast)

I don't think it's Happiness Charge bad (cause Red/Blue is just terrible on multiple levels) but it's up there

Technically there’s still one more episode but yeah, pretty much (they didn’t even explain Amane’s backstory and the narrator was largely pointless)

Hopefully Hirogaru Sky is an improvement on this (it already looks promising from what we’ve seen so far and it seems to be doing some unique things with the formula), I didn’t completely hate Delicious Party mind you but I’m not exactly sad to see it go either

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

SatoshiMiwa posted:

epilogue's left but, yeah this pretty much hits the nail on the head for me. :smith: was excited for this show too.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

When it comes to Precure I can usually tell whether or not I'm on board to finish it within a couple of episodes, but the absolute deadline for the show is whenever they bring in the later additions. If the show and its characters have not thrilled me by the time they get their sixth Ranger equivalent I drop the show and wait for next time, and I dropped Delicious Party. I liked Rosemary and some of the stuff around him, but the villains didn't thrill me, the cast felt pretty thin, and the plot line with Amane just felt incredibly weak to me. I felt like the show barely did anything with her leading up to her face turn, and I genuinely didn't feel like I knew anything about her as a character by the time she joined the team. I was already disappointed with the three leads, when I was disappointed with the fourth? Well there's always next year.

I'm pulling for Hirogaru the way I pull for every season of precure, but I'm not going to pretend a bad season is good and I'm not going to watch the show if I don't like it. I have seen this franchise put out genuinely excellent stuff so I know it can do better, and further I'm not enough of a lifer in it to watch the disappointing seasons. If I'm not getting a show I find good and/or enjoyable? Well, it's disappointing but so it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
For the most part I prefer larger villain general casts, rather than just a trio.