Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
How do I get my 10 month old puppy to not bark at foot noises in the house? In the morning especially, if I am up and about earlier than the rest of the household and he hears me walking around he will bark thinking it is a stranger. I've had to just keep him attached to me for my morning routine so he doesn't wake other people up.

Usually I would get how to desensitize him to this sort of thing with reinforcement, but the thing is my wife doesn't want the behavior trained out of him completely because she wants an alert dog for security purposes (which I understand). At this point it feels like management is the only way. Maybe he'll chill a bit as he gets older?

It is the only time he really barks BTW. Doesn't do it at strangers in the park or on walks or anything. Just in the house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Chin Strap posted:

How do I get my 10 month old puppy to not bark at foot noises in the house? In the morning especially, if I am up and about earlier than the rest of the household and he hears me walking around he will bark thinking it is a stranger. I've had to just keep him attached to me for my morning routine so he doesn't wake other people up.

Usually I would get how to desensitize him to this sort of thing with reinforcement, but the thing is my wife doesn't want the behavior trained out of him completely because she wants an alert dog for security purposes (which I understand). At this point it feels like management is the only way. Maybe he'll chill a bit as he gets older?

It is the only time he really barks BTW. Doesn't do it at strangers in the park or on walks or anything. Just in the house.

This is something my dog learned on their own: Eventually he's going to figure out it's you he's notifying so yeah if you get up before him and wake him up he'll bark but once he sees it's you he'll stop caring.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Consider also the possibility that he's barking because he wants company, and he stops once he gets that company. What exactly do you think you're training him to do?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Oh and he's excited it's walk time. Walkies are usually the first thing you do right?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Consider also the possibility that he's barking because he wants company, and he stops once he gets that company. What exactly do you think you're training him to do?

He has company. He wants to run straight back to bed to my wife after I take him out in the morning, and lately I've just been making him stay with me on the couch instead (this is early morning mind you I'm up at 4:30). If I just stopped him going back to wife he would then run to kids bed and do the same barking as I walked by the door. Either way, definitely not lacking company.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

HootTheOwl posted:

Oh and he's excited it's walk time. Walkies are usually the first thing you do right?

Not at 4:30 AM in winter no

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Our 7 month old Dachshund had an upset stomach in the night about a week ago (his little sleeping pen looked like someone had filled a washing machine with poo poo then put it on spin) and it’s completely hosed his bathroom routine up :argh:

We’ve gone from get up in the morning and go straight out to poop to absolutely nada until the late afternoon, which is proving very tough to police around because that’s right in the time where he was usually just playing with/bothering our other dog while we wrap up working from home for the day, so we’re back to unfortunately frequent accidents and/or keeping him in his pen for extended periods since he also still seems to not want to poop in there at least.

Even extra walks won’t get it moving, he just doesn’t seem to want to go now until a semi-random time between 2-4pm.

He’s eating and drinking at the same times he always has, so I’m not sure how we could tailor that to try and get him back on schedule.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
It doesn’t happen often, but occasionally when we are playing fetch in an open field, Pongo will run to exactly where the ball is gonna land without looking and gets bonked in the head. I laugh every time but also kind of feel bad for him.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

blood, so much blood

now i understand how iris's mum pumped out twelve pups. womb like a battle tank

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

My dog must be about to go on heat, she's so grouchy at the moment.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

a strange fowl posted:

blood, so much blood

now i understand how iris's mum pumped out twelve pups. womb like a battle tank

Some dogs have a decrease in blood during their most fertile period then bleed more after but my dog has always bled like crazy the whole time. Her favorite place to hang out is on my coffee table. I go through a lot of clorox wipes.

I did just order her some new custom dog pants though because she sleeps in my bed now and free bleeding is no longer going to fly. She needs special ones because she hates me pulling her tail through the hole :rolleyes:

My foster dog is finally here! Meet Red!

He's batshit fuckin crazy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryplGPjTo-4

He spins whenever you lean over or try to pet him, which really makes putting his harness on interesting. He also attacks trees!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErHvDN-IEpI

He hates Scout, eats anything that fits in his mouth to the point that he licks under my baseboards hoping for paper scraps, and if you stop throwing a ball for him he'll just stand on you and roll the ball off your body so it's like you throwing the ball. I was not warned that this dog is out of his mind so that's fun. The board of the rescue has approved getting him vet checked and potentially a behavior evaluation but I would really like this dog to be in a home that isn't mine.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Some dogs have a decrease in blood during their most fertile period then bleed more after but my dog has always bled like crazy the whole time. Her favorite place to hang out is on my coffee table. I go through a lot of clorox wipes.

I did just order her some new custom dog pants though because she sleeps in my bed now and free bleeding is no longer going to fly. She needs special ones because she hates me pulling her tail through the hole :rolleyes:

My foster dog is finally here! Meet Red!

He's batshit fuckin crazy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryplGPjTo-4

He spins whenever you lean over or try to pet him, which really makes putting his harness on interesting. He also attacks trees!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErHvDN-IEpI

He hates Scout, eats anything that fits in his mouth to the point that he licks under my baseboards hoping for paper scraps, and if you stop throwing a ball for him he'll just stand on you and roll the ball off your body so it's like you throwing the ball. I was not warned that this dog is out of his mind so that's fun. The board of the rescue has approved getting him vet checked and potentially a behavior evaluation but I would really like this dog to be in a home that isn't mine.

Hope you have a place you can let her tear rear end. Or dog is similar (not as bad though) and going to the abandoned school near us that is gated in and telling her to "go, play" so she runs around like a maniac for like 20 minutes makes her so much calmer for the rest of the day.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I love you Red

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Hope you have a place you can let her tear rear end. Or dog is similar (not as bad though) and going to the abandoned school near us that is gated in and telling her to "go, play" so she runs around like a maniac for like 20 minutes makes her so much calmer for the rest of the day.

I've got a 16 acre farm. He was in a pound from July to October, then a foster for a few weeks, then a home that wasn't a good fit (bc he's crazy) for a few weeks, then a boarding kennel for over a month, before getting to me so he definitely needs some exercise and decompression time. That being said, the boy ain't quite right and will probably need some happy drugs to get his brain right. I texted my friend at the vet behaviorist's office and she agreed, the rescue just needs to be willing to pay for it. I guess the vet has been experimenting with ritalin on these not quite right dogs and seeing really good results so maybe that'll be an option.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I have a dog that used to go crazy for her nylabone, which I lost in one of many moves. I just bought her a new one and she doesn't seem to like it, is there anything I can do to make it more appealing to her? I was thinking rub natural peanut butter on it but I'm worried she will just lick it off and then stop being interested. It's winter so I can't take her out as much so I think she's getting bored, I want to give her more to do while inside. It's to the point where she's ripping up rolls of paper towels with no food residue on them.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I have a dog that used to go crazy for her nylabone, which I lost in one of many moves. I just bought her a new one and she doesn't seem to like it, is there anything I can do to make it more appealing to her? I was thinking rub natural peanut butter on it but I'm worried she will just lick it off and then stop being interested. It's winter so I can't take her out as much so I think she's getting bored, I want to give her more to do while inside. It's to the point where she's ripping up rolls of paper towels with no food residue on them.

Maybe get a Kong treat toy like this one (or this one if you have a strong chewer)?

If you add oddly-shaped treats that will only fit through the opening when turned the right way, it can keep a dog occupied for quite a while. Kepler is a pro at emptying a Kong -- he'll get the easy ones out, then fling it against the sofa until more treats come out. But it's still a good distraction for 10-15 minutes.

Of course, the pro move is to put some small treats inside, block off the opening with some peanut butter, and then freeze it. It'll occupy a dog for up to an hour, although at some point you'll have to clean it.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

You can soak it in broth to see if that makes it more appealing.

There are lots of things you can do to entertain her during the winter without a ton of effort on your part if you're worried she's getting bored. My dog also loves shredding things (and is good about not eating the pieces) so if I'm ok with some clean up I'll just toss a handful of kibble in a box of paper recycling and let her go ham. The long shipping paper is the best. If you're hoping for less cleaning after you can get snuffle mats online and put kibble or the crumbs at the bottom of a treat bag on there and let them snuffle around on one of those.

I also feed meals frozen in toys so she has to work more than just gulping it out of a bowl. I freeze a big batch of kibble meals in unsalted broth and recreational toys with peanut butter and plain yogurt once a week so I can just pull out her dinner or something to keep her occupied whenever needed. I just run them through my dishwasher's sanitize cycle before refilling them.

I've ended up with quite the collection of stuffable toys now. Kongs are the classic but there are tons of options now. Chew kings hold more than most kongs and are cheaper too, might not be as tough but I don't have a tough chewer. Toppls are easier than kongs for lazy or novice dogs and come in some really big sizes but they're pretty expensive and you have to plug up the hole in the side. The sodapup honey pot doesn't have the hole and is cheaper so it's my new favorite but it only holds up to 3/4 cup of kibble. Bark has all the fun shapes like the dinosaur and ketchup bottle but they don't usually hold more than 3/4 cup at very most (most closer to 1/2 cup) unless you get the big hollow turkey which can fit a ton. The bark cinnamutt roll and the sodapup corn are the most popular peanut butter spead toys around here.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Chop Chop loves loves loves to play Find It. Take a treat or toy, have them sniff it, then make them stay somewhere while you go hide it. Then come back, and release them with "Find it!" My big goofy boy will gallop from one end of the house to the other, first checking "usual" spots that he's found it in before, before hunkering down and using his sniffer to track it, and also where I walked. I try to walk all around the house pretending to hide it in several places so it's not too easy. Find It also has the bonus of reinforcing Stay for even when they can't see you for extended periods of time!

Sniff games and other things that make them use their mind to think through stuff can tire them out and satisfy their play needs really well, I recommend them!

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I changed dog's diet from 3 meals a day down to 2. It's not going well.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

i love red :qq: if i wasn't on the other side of the world i would be tempted to take him (please note, this would be a disaster). those crazy playtime eyes touch my heart. i've known a few rescued herders who were just totally fixated on balls because playing ball was the only time they got any attention or exercise whatsoever. i hope things work out for him, even if you can't keep him at least you'll give the rescue more information to work on regarding his various insanities.

iris used to bounce the ball off me too, it was extremely annoying lol. luckily she has stopped in favour of a better game, dropping the ball down a hole beside the fence and barking at me until i fetch it. there are currently five tennis balls and a squeaky santa claus toy down there. she loves shredding cardboard boxes too.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

My collie has perfected the art of throwing a ball at my upper back when I'm cooking so that it bounces off and she can chase it around the kitchen.

I do not enjoy this as much as she does.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
My parents' lab would do that with the balls. She also once dropped a ball into a bucket of paint that was foolishly left open at ground level, next to a human being.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Dropping a ball in the toilet was how Pickwick learned he could drink from the toilet.

Why does toilet water taste so much better?!

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

I have a lil girl who has just turned 17 weeks. Boxer mixed with lab, we think.

My girlfriend's family lives close and are well off with lots of land for Southern California and 5 awesome dogs from ages 4 - 15 years.

We introduced my girl to them at 13 weeks and she got along with every dog immediately. She didn't exhibit many of the signs to look for in the OP, and she was great with humans. Not overdoing it but engaging just enough.

I've also taken her to trivia twice at 14 and 15 weeks. She was great with the other dogs there, typically just looking at them before her attention is back on me or a toy. Had no visible anxiety and all her mannerisms were seemingly telling me she was having a great time.

This past week we started going on our morning walk at 6am because she sleeps in about 30min more now. This puts us on the sidewalk (with space on the side) running into other dogs and owners doing the same morning routine.

She is loving terrified of these dogs and people. She begins to freak out so bad sometimes that the other party will be 25-50 yards away and turn around themselves. She WANTS to go out on a walk but the moment we get out there her tail is between her legs and she is fully on edge.

What's going on?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Two things come to mind. The first is that being on leash is a completely different experience from being loose. A leashed dog can easily feel trapped, which makes fight-or-flight more likely to trigger. The second is that on a sidewalk, there's limited room to maneuver, which can force the dog to go uncomfortably close to a strange person/dog.

When I'm walking my (10-year-old) dog, I try to keep the leash slack and I try to make sure that any time we're passing someone, we're doing it where there's plenty of room on either side. Often this means that I need to wait in a driveway or move out into the street to avoid someone. Odds are my dog would be fine, but why take chances? I want to set him up for success.

Also, I demand photos of your puppy :colbert:

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I agree, she probably feels trapped by the lead when she sees a strange person/dog coming.

Start smaller. First get her comfortable on the lead, take her around the house etc.
Then try just sitting on your doorstep watching people pass with her (again on the lead)
Then move to in front of the house but still close by, all the while giving praise and treats when she remains calm.

Slowly progress from there venturing out further and for longer.
Leash anxiety is fairly common in dogs. I meet lots of dogs that can be a bit nasty when leashed but are soft as anything when off them.

Also agreed, mentioning you have a puppy and not posting pictures is a bannable offence.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Enfys posted:

My collie has perfected the art of throwing a ball at my upper back when I'm cooking so that it bounces off and she can chase it around the kitchen.

I do not enjoy this as much as she does.
they come up with such perfect solutions :allears: if i was working on something in the garden, iris would come up and throw the ball down on top of whatever i was doing with surprising force. she killed many lettuce seedlings in this manner.

a strange fowl fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 12, 2023

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

I just took her to a wide open park with lots of grass and few people. Just having moved to this area I did not know it was right downhill from a elementary school. Within minutes, I poo poo you not, there are at least two dozen kids and now a full parking lot of parents.

Two older kids (so 5th graders) were on some grass next to the sidewalk and paid no attention to us, she freaked out (still getting no attention from the two kids) so I got down and started to calm her down while her tail is so far between her legs I can't see the end of it. Meanwhile she is keeping the leash as taut as I would allow with her hairs straight up just laser locked on the kids.

Then suddenly, her tail is as high as it gets and bam she is her jovial self and keeps the line slack despite a horde of children 20 yards to the left at an ice cream truck that had materialized.

Unfortunately we had to call it shortly after as another, younger, horde of children were arriving.

A switch flipping that quick scares me a bit haha

96 spacejam fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 13, 2023

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
Just about to pick up my buddy from his de-nadding. I'm sure I'll get advice from the vet, but any tips and tricks would be welcome as I've never done this before. He's a pretty active little dude. Puppy picture provided:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
... and then

Only registered members can see post attachments!

cailleask
May 6, 2007

96 spacejam posted:

I just took her to a wide open park with lots of grass and few people. Just having moved to this area I did not know it was right downhill from a elementary school. Within minutes, I poo poo you not, there are at least two dozen kids and now a full parking lot of parents.

Two older kids (so 5th graders) were on some grass next to the sidewalk and paid no attention to us, she freaked out (still getting no attention from the two kids) so I got down and started to calm her down while her tail is so far between her legs I can't see the end of it. Meanwhile she is keeping the leash as taut as I would allow with her hairs straight up just laser locked on the kids.

Then suddenly, her tail is as high as it gets and bam she is her jovial self and keeps the line slack despite a horde of children 20 yards to the left at an ice cream truck that had materialized.

Unfortunately we had to call it shortly after as another, younger, horde of children were arriving.

A switch flipping that quick scares me a bit haha

So my dog did this when younger and still does it some - we’ve worked with her intensively on it for years. Her biggest issue is that she would approach someone, wagging tail but slightly nervous body language, and then 10% of the time decide OH NO SCARY and flip her poo poo barking. Obviously not okay, especially because she’s like 70lbs.

What has been really helpful has been thinking about her ‘bubble’ and trying to shrink it with exposure + positive reinforcement. Kids of a certain age were a big trigger for us, so I enrolled the kids at the bus stop as ‘dog trainers’ to help. Their job is to just ignore Nova 100% of the time while she exists nearby and gets fed treats. Over the year we’ve moved from having to be across the street to being able to stand calmly on the leash within 2’ of kids.

I don’t think I’ll ever be able to trust my fearful dog 100% in trigger situations because she can flip so fast from ‘ok’ to ‘freakout’ but I’ve definitely been able to shrink the bubble around her triggers.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Instant Jellyfish posted:

You can soak it in broth to see if that makes it more appealing.

I'll try that. She also gets a urinary cranberry treat every meal so I could stuff those in a kong and see if she'd go for it. And she also gets one and a half cbd and turmeric joint health treats, although those are more hard biscuits so they might get crushed more easily.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Tad Naff posted:

... and then

Jarvis hated the cone. His activity levels were such that we tried the bodysuit and he tolerated that much better. We did the inflatable ring at night for a while, too. For the most part, he showed no interest in the area at all, so he was pretty free pretty quickly. I credit the vet that did the job for sewing him up well enough that he didn't have itching or anything.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’m driving myself insane trying to figure out the right time to spay our new english springer spaniel. Field bred if that matters. The plan with the rescue was to do it at 4 months and get her cherry eye and her skin tag like single back dewclaw fixed at the same time so it’s easier on her. I’ve been researching the breed like mad since getting her and I seem to find people saying do the spay at 6 months minimum. Many people seem to suggest even further out, 9 months to a year. Any advice how to handle all this? I just want to do the right thing for this qtpie.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
For most breeds the advice I've seen is 2-3 months after their first season.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’m driving myself insane trying to figure out the right time to spay our new english springer spaniel. Field bred if that matters. The plan with the rescue was to do it at 4 months and get her cherry eye and her skin tag like single back dewclaw fixed at the same time so it’s easier on her. I’ve been researching the breed like mad since getting her and I seem to find people saying do the spay at 6 months minimum. Many people seem to suggest even further out, 9 months to a year. Any advice how to handle all this? I just want to do the right thing for this qtpie.

I like to refer people to this article:
https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fvets.2020.00388/full

Conveniently for you they specifically looked at the ESS! They found an increase in urinary incontinence in bitches spayed between 6-11 months, although it was not significant with their sample size. They did not note any increase in joint disorders or cancer in early spayed bitches or a huge increase in mammary cancer or pyometra in intact or late spayed bitches. Their takeaway was that without any big issues to just spay when you feel comfortable but preferably over a year old to avoid UI.

Personally, having had intact bitches for quite a while now, I will probably let all future females have at least one cycle before spaying. They really do physically and mentally mature so much with each cycle. That being said I'm comfortable managing a bitch in heat and don't have a high risk of accidental pregnancy which might make me change my mind.

Edit so I'm not double posting:
We had another herding lesson today! Scout showed up and chose violence so we she had to learn that the trainer is not going to let her bite a sheep no matter how big of a tantrum she throws. Also that she's not going to be allowed to work until she shuts up and turns her brain on. Then when it was my turn to handle her she had to go through another tantrum trying to convince me that she was allowed to bite sheep. By the end she was doing some really good thinking though and despite being an absolute poo poo she didn't leave a mark on those sheep. Love that terrible swine.

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 14, 2023

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Okay, I have a serious problem. My rescue GSD who otherwise seems really well potty trained has started pissing in my dining room, and in her crate regularly. I've been taking care of my friend's dog and I think there's a territory/jealousy thing at play.

I take both dogs out regularly, they seem to interact fine, but if I let Umbra out of my sight she pisses on the floor an immediately licks it up.

Whatever the case I want to break this cycle, and I have a few ideas, but they all start with banishing the urine smell from the floor. My friend's dog is going home tonight and tomorrow morning I want to deep clean this floor. The complication is they are 125 year old hardwood floors and I want to banish this piss and all the piss from the past century from it, but without melting a hole into the basement.

I have nature's miracle urine destroyer, but if anyone has any other products they would like to suggest I am all ears.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

when i was a kid, i remember discussing cattledogs with my friend, and why they are colloquially known as blue heelers. i proposed the basic-rear end argument that it's because they herd cattle by nipping at their feet. my friend insisted that it was because they have blue heels. i got highly agitated at this and said you fool, their legs are brown. but my friend had superior observation skills and coolly declared "their legs are brown, but their heels are always blue". i think about it every single day

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

There’s red ones too though lol

I grew up always having a red heeler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

MarcusSA posted:

There’s red ones too though lol

I grew up always having a red heeler.