Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Heidi has such :haw: energy and it rules. She's almost too happy for the grimdark character, but it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Having Max as the Blaster to her Master really makes it work, especially in TJPW. I wasn't familiar with Heidi at all before she came over to join Max (and only passingly familiar with Max before their first TJPW appearances), but they're such a surprisingly great fit and I hope they stick around for a while and make repeat appearances. Gotta see them face some incarnation of NEO Biishiki-gun at some point.

Big Dok's on board too

https://twitter.com/nodoka_p/status/1612579147750178816

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Johnny Landmine posted:

Having Max as the Blaster to her Master really makes it work, especially in TJPW. I wasn't familiar with Heidi at all before she came over to join Max (and only passingly familiar with Max before their first TJPW appearances), but they're such a surprisingly great fit and I hope they stick around for a while and make repeat appearances. Gotta see them face some incarnation of NEO Biishiki-gun at some point.
I've seen them on US indie shows, Wasteland War Party is a stable with a third member: Leon Ravage AKA Leon the Terrible, who looks pretty much like you'd expect.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Terrorising Pom Trios match show is up
https://www.wrestle-universe.com/en/videos/ptwovCATL2jzq6vp9kpskd

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Shameful that they're still using the far inferior DayDream theme when Miu has a belt and I jsut wanna do the hands along with my favourite character :(

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
wow that might be Miu's heaviest swing yet

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
For good coverage of the Joshi scene from the only other part of the internet that prioritizes TJPW over Stardom follow/subscribe to the Marshmallow Bomb newsletter

https://marshmallowbomb.substack.com/

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jan 10, 2023

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Luke/Flupke is probably the most consistent and thoughtful critic in English language joshi fandom right now and it's cool that he's expanding his little newsletter into something bigger

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
TJPW Jan 7 show notes: I didn't have a discord call to say all this poo poo in.

ringside camera show doing some wild perspective work this show.

HIMAWARI vs. Nao Kakuta: -
+ The spot where HIMAWARI uses her hair to get the rope break is a good spot and I hope it becomes a regular for her at this level.
+ I have decided HIMAWARI should do some sort of knee strike with the Nevermind Sunflower kneedpad knee.
+ Nao Kakuta remains a cool vet.

Kaya Toribami vs. Kamiyu -

+ 23 is the year everyone has the eye poke fully scouted, that's my take.
+ Captain Cassowary is always a favorite of mine despite her lack of polish.

Raku and Yuki Aino (do they have a tag name?) vs. Maki Itoh and Hikari Noa (A TEAM OF RIVALS) -

+ No Raku theme makes me sad, but Itoh and Noa is always a very funny tag team of rivals.
+ Raku having to fight her mentor in evil Itoh is a shame, but the alternate layout goodnight express was worth it.
+ Hikari showcasing her deathmatch chops by running set-up for all of Itoh's spots is funny.
+ Raku getting bullied is NOT COOL.
+ Have I mentioned I love the Raku Russian Leg Sweep on the forums yet? Because I love the Raku Russian Leg Sweep.
+ Raku doing a cool spinning combo using the poofy skirt to make it look cooler followed by the loving Smile Train is god drat peak Raku [derogatory] I swear to god.
+ Team of Rivals spots are never not good.
+ WHAT THE gently caress I LOVE THIS MATCH NOW

Hyper Misao and Shoko Nakajima (Kyoraku Kyomei) vs. Yuka Sakazaki and Mahiro Kiryu
+ Hyper Misao entering with some sort of shopping bag is threatening.
+ I also learned when preparing for this match that the Year of Mahiro is currently in mourning because of Gareth Bale's retirement.
+ Also Hyper Misao plying the djinn with a gift is the most wile e coyote she has ever been.
+ The camera somehow helps with this.
+ Mahiro is going to win this match by her own dang self and that's cool.
+ Yuka is doing prop comedy in the crowd while Mahiro fights for her life. This feels like a metaphor for Mahiro's entire career. All it needs is Kamiyu around to bully her.
+ as always I think Mahiro is at her best when she is just doing Kevin Nash offense.

Miu Watanabe and Rika Tatsumi (Daydream) and Pom Harajuku vs. Heidi Howitzer and Max the Impaler (Wasteland War Party) and Trish Adora
+ Rika Tatsumi showcasing her status as truly the most crazy and hosed up person on the TJPW roster.
+ Also Miu is helping :)
+ Pom is the loving legendary hero and this angle with Max might be the best thing happening in wrestling today.
+ the white dragon is cold as ice.
+ Heidi Howitzer as the always talking poo poo one is very great.
+ Pom is going to take the belts off the wasteland war party (with Raku)
+ trish adora getting owned by the diamond rear end was a great sell.
+ Miu Watanabe going to the softball well to fell Max the Impaler is extremely Miu.
+ :eyepop:
+ loving incredible banter from heidi howitzer.
+ pom is so great.

Arisu Endo and Suzume (Daisy Monkey) vs. Moka Miyamoto and Mizuki
+ Daisy Monkey the only performers bold enough to do some stagework.
+ Main Event Moka in her sick current gear iteration.
+
+ Mizuki and Moka flowing into each others spots is very cool, Mizuki having no moral fiber is less cool (in a good way)
+ This match is really cool because Mizuki is really the only one of these four who has been like a top level contender in TJPW but this match doesn't super feel out of place. It's really only the strength of the Pom angle that makes it feel weird to me that this main evented.
+ the match is also cool as hell.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

fuckin lmao at this

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
That's prime av material there

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

"Put the Joshi down" :lol:

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Yooooooooo

https://twitter.com/DramaticDDT/status/1613148395719520257

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Stardom announced the card for their Osaka PPV in February - big thing is that its the first cheering show for three years. Thought it'd be quite fun to compare it to the last show they had with cheering from Shinkiba 1st Ring and see where everyone has gone:

Stardom New Years Stars 2020 Night 7, 16th February 2020
Shinkiba 1st Ring, Tokyo
Attendance: 401

Jamie Hayter vs Hina
Queen's Quest (Momo Watanabe & AZM) vs Tokyo Cyber Squad (Hana Kimura & Rina)
Itsuki Hoshino & Jungle Kyona vs Leo Onozaki & Saya Iida
Donna del Mundo (Giulia & Maika) vs Tokyo Cyber Squad (Konami & Leyla Hirsch)
Oedo Tai (Natsuko Tora, Bea Priestley, Saki Kashima & Natsu Sumire) & Zoey Skye vs STARS (Mayu Iwatani, Arisa Hoshiki, Tam Nakano & Starlight Kid) & Riho
Future of Stardom Championship: Utami Hayashishita (c) vs Saya Kamitani

compared to:

Stardom 12th Anniversary Stardom Supreme Fight, 4th February
EDION Arena, Osaka

Triangle Derby Block Match: Unique Glare (Starlight Kid, Haruka Umesaki & Ruaka) vs Classmates (Hazuki, Koguma & Saya Iida)
God's Eye (Syuri, Konami & Ami Sohrei) vs Queens Quest (Utami Hayashishita, Saya Kamitani & Lady C)
Special Singles Match: MIRAI vs Chihiro Hashimoto
Naniwa Roulette Singles Tournament: Mayu Iwatani, Tam Nakano, Natsupoi, Natsuko Tora, Thekla, Mina Shirakawa, Saki Kashima, Yuna Mizumori, Momo Kohgo, Mariah May, Waka Tsukiyama, Mai Sakurai, Momoka Hanazono, X)
Goddesses of Stardom Championship: 7Upp (Nanae Takahashi & Yuu) (c) vs MaiHime (Maika & Himeka)
Wonder of Stardom Championship: Saya Kamitani (c) vs Momo Watanabe
World of Stardom Championship: Giulia (c) vs Suzu Suzuki

We are admittedly comparing a Shinkiba house show to a big arena PPV but I think its a good indication of how much current Stardom feels like a completely different promotion. You've got some commonalities but like Saya going from challenging the unbeatable Utami to defending (and beating most probably) Momo in the semi-main; the lack of a lot of big names from the older card but replaced by a load of big names; also Giulia-Suzu as the first main event with cheering is funny considering that Giulia jumping was still incredibly controversial then. MIRAI vs Hashimoto is also funny because that's a random match that'd have been cool in 2020 but probably more so now that MIRAI is a few steps above a rookie. I remember the slight doomerism around Stardom signing all the big Joshi names at that time: I think this in isolation would look a bit like that but knowing that a lot of them are outsiders would probably surprise people; especially the names they ended up signing (not so much names like Natsupoi but like Mai Sakurai and people like that) - also Hazuki and Koguma unretired.

That show should be great looking at this card: top three matches are very interesting; always up for a random tournament format; MIRAI-Hashimoto I suspect will be on the shorter side to set up the Syuri match but still interesting; even the random trios match on the show looks fun with Konami coming back. Stardom is more interesting with freelancers showing up every so often; keeps things fresh.

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

I've only recently discovered Hashimoto thanks to this forum but that match against MIRAI is going to absolutely whip

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Hash vs Mirai will definitely make me seek that show out

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I'm gonna sub to Wrestle Universe for a bit to check out some of the stuff on there after seeing what a ludicrously loaded card TJPW Summer Sun Princess '22 was.

It looks like they don't offer a native Android TV app, but I guess I could sideload an Android APK to my Shield TV for easy TV viewing, but has anyone tried casting from a laptop or something? Does it work reasonably well?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Wrestle Universe never had any casting options for my Chromecast, liveposting was a bitch :(

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I'm gonna sub to Wrestle Universe for a bit to check out some of the stuff on there after seeing what a ludicrously loaded card TJPW Summer Sun Princess '22 was.

It looks like they don't offer a native Android TV app, but I guess I could sideload an Android APK to my Shield TV for easy TV viewing, but has anyone tried casting from a laptop or something? Does it work reasonably well?

I tried sideloading Wrestle Universe onto my TV & Firestick and didn't have any luck – the app would just never launch. If you find a way to do it, please let me know! It's honestly the only thing stopping me from subscribing.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Rarity posted:

Wrestle Universe never had any casting options for my Chromecast, liveposting was a bitch :(

poo poo, can't even cast from a browser? That's not great. I don't think I want to watch four hour wrestling PPVs on my PC/laptop. Oh well, I'll look into it tomorrow.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I cast live shows from my phone with the mobile app and it works perfectly.

5 Second Poser
Sep 10, 2007

Don't You Wish You Were Me?
I typically end up watching the VODs, but I cast from my phone to my TV with little issue. Just did it this morning for the Okayama show, in fact.

I'd still love for them to release an Android TV app, though.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

poo poo, can't even cast from a browser? That's not great. I don't think I want to watch four hour wrestling PPVs on my PC/laptop. Oh well, I'll look into it tomorrow.

casting from chrome works perfectly for me

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Penguin Patrol posted:

casting from chrome works perfectly for me

OK, phew. So there's that fallback option if I can't get the Android app running on my Shield. OK, I guess I'm subbing to Wrestle Universe!

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

When I don't feel like casting from the WU app on my phone to my Shield, I just use a browser installed on my Shield and watch from the WU website that way.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I cast my Chrome Tab with WU to the Chromecast, it works great.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Ganso Bomb posted:

I tried sideloading Wrestle Universe onto my TV & Firestick and didn't have any luck – the app would just never launch. If you find a way to do it, please let me know! It's honestly the only thing stopping me from subscribing.

Best option if you have a fire stick is to go to the website in the Silk browser. Works really well.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

I've decided I need to pay more attention to Ice Ribbon this year after seeing my second Yura Suzuki match in GLEAT. She's rad as gently caress and only 16 years old so still has a bunch of development left, and IR is best place to watch her since her home promotion Alma Libre I literally had not heard of until today

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

SG Bamboo posted:

I've decided I need to pay more attention to Ice Ribbon this year after seeing my second Yura Suzuki match in GLEAT. She's rad as gently caress and only 16 years old so still has a bunch of development left, and IR is best place to watch her since her home promotion Alma Libre I literally had not heard of until today

I went to look up the last Alma Libre show out of curiosity & it was last month. In it, 16 year old Yura Suzuki tagged with Joji Otani, the guy who was arrested for & admitted to having sex with an underage fan. Yikes.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

gfdi, missed that when I was scanning their last couple of cards, just saw YuuRI was also on it. I'm sure the 80 people in attendance were clamouring for Otani

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

SG Bamboo posted:

gfdi, missed that when I was scanning their last couple of cards, just saw YuuRI was also on it. I'm sure the 80 people in attendance were clamouring for Otani

I suppose there's a reason why people talk of "indie sleaze"

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Mercedes Moné out there making new friends

https://twitter.com/DramaticDDT/status/1613183613746520064?s=20

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Come to Ichigaya Moné

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

fez_machine posted:

Come to Ichigaya Moné

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

fez_machine posted:

Come to Ichigaya Moné

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

mercedes go to ichigaya as death worm and don't tell anyone

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Mercedes go to Kaiji Big Battel as Uchu-Chu and don't tell anyone.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/jeremydmonroe/status/1613611514698829824

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Don't piss off Miu, TJPW. If she goes to Stardom I'll never get to see her :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
Please piss of Miu TJPW. If she goes to Stardom I'll get to see her all the time.