Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Knuc U Kinte posted:

6 miles is not a 2 hour walk lmao. Have you ever walked anywhere before?

Never in my life. I live according to the principles of George Raymond Richard Martin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Knuc U Kinte posted:

6 miles is not a 2 hour walk lmao. Have you ever walked anywhere before?

How long does it take?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yea as previous people said it’s going to matter where you are (e.g. a city with stoplights or a rural area with no obstacles) as well as the individual’s personal pace but it’s not unreasonable to say the average to walk 6 miles is going to be roughly 2 hours. There’s going to be variations but it’s not like it’s laughable to say that, as if the real answer is 20 minutes or 5 hours.

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

уôðр ò шúурþòі úуûьúø

Kylaer posted:

he also gets lauded for being so realistic

I don't know if is lauded for it. His books stuck out from the usual fantasy trash because it was grim-dark, and bad things happened to good people. So it was "more realistic", but that was only in reference to the usual batch of Fantasy stuff, you know? And because he gets really loving granular when it comes to describing food and poo poo.

And I know you know, because you've been here since the beginning. If people are praising him for his realism, they are just loving wrong. Maybe a better word is "gritty" - I liked the "low-fantasy" description, because that keeps it in the proper place. His world doesn't even stick to it's own internal logic. As much as I enjoy giving him poo poo for his 700 foot wall or the impossibility of anything surviving a "long night" - none of that really breaks my suspension of disbelief. It feels a bit unfair that people put his ( or anyone's ) work under a microscope like that. Or maybe it just misses the point.

I have a 8 year old nephew. He watches YT videos by this guy who posits on the meaning behind things in video games, and it's so clearly just bullshit. It's like old Preston, but with way less material to work with. Is there a word to describe this? It used to happen a lot in video games - you'd see door knobs that you can't open. The graphics indicate a functionality that just doesn't exist. It would be like imagining the backstory behind why those doors are closed, and coming up with what the developers intended by closing off those doors. When the real reason is because it's just atmosphere. It has absolutely no depth. There has to be a phrase for this when someone digs for meaning and there isn't any. Can someone help me out here?

That is often how I feel about it when people dig into GRRMs writing. So much of what he does is poetic / creative license. Like why do we ignore poo poo like Tyrion being written as a circus jester doing flips and poo poo. I mean doesn't he like drop down from a balcony or some crap? But we're gonna gently caress his poo poo in about the type of troops, or how fast someone can march in a day. I'm not really talking about people on this board - I mean I get that especially between books, we tend to spiral too deep into the minutia. And we deserve that little bit of uh.. whatever you call it. But you can't ever take it too seriously, you know?

gently caress what do you call it when like someone is so goddamn deep into the canon that everytime Rick says something, there are a million loving posts about what it means. And there just isn't the resolution to zoom in any further. You can't CSI enhance your way to world building and background and ///

gently caress i forgot what I was writing about ok gently caress this im not drunk posting again

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Tyrion is just infuriating because he’s an attempt at writing a character with dwarfism but not determined by their condition alone. And then he gets sent to the circus in the final book of the series, gently caress your lazy writing GRRM

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Tyrion Lannister was sitting on the ledge above the door to the Great Hall, looking for all the world like a gargoyle. The dwarf grinned down at him. "Is that animal a wolf?"

"Too hot, too noisy, and I'd drunk too much wine," the dwarf told him. "I learned long ago that it is considered rude to vomit on your brother. Might I have a closer look at your wolf?"

Jon hesitated, then nodded slowly. "Can you climb down, or shall I bring a ladder?"

"Oh, bleed that," the little man said. He pushed himself off the ledge into empty air. Jon gasped, then watched with awe as Tyrion Lannister spun around in a tight ball, landed lightly on his hands, then vaulted backward onto his legs.

Ghost backed away from him uncertainly.

The dwarf dusted himself off and laughed. "I believe I've frightened your wolf. My apologies."

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

TERFherder posted:

I don't know if is lauded for it. His books stuck out from the usual fantasy trash because it was grim-dark, and bad things happened to good people. So it was "more realistic", but that was only in reference to the usual batch of Fantasy stuff, you know? And because he gets really loving granular when it comes to describing food and poo poo.

And I know you know, because you've been here since the beginning. If people are praising him for his realism, they are just loving wrong. Maybe a better word is "gritty" - I liked the "low-fantasy" description, because that keeps it in the proper place. His world doesn't even stick to it's own internal logic. As much as I enjoy giving him poo poo for his 700 foot wall or the impossibility of anything surviving a "long night" - none of that really breaks my suspension of disbelief. It feels a bit unfair that people put his ( or anyone's ) work under a microscope like that. Or maybe it just misses the point.

I have a 8 year old nephew. He watches YT videos by this guy who posits on the meaning behind things in video games, and it's so clearly just bullshit. It's like old Preston, but with way less material to work with. Is there a word to describe this? It used to happen a lot in video games - you'd see door knobs that you can't open. The graphics indicate a functionality that just doesn't exist. It would be like imagining the backstory behind why those doors are closed, and coming up with what the developers intended by closing off those doors. When the real reason is because it's just atmosphere. It has absolutely no depth. There has to be a phrase for this when someone digs for meaning and there isn't any. Can someone help me out here?

That is often how I feel about it when people dig into GRRMs writing. So much of what he does is poetic / creative license. Like why do we ignore poo poo like Tyrion being written as a circus jester doing flips and poo poo. I mean doesn't he like drop down from a balcony or some crap? But we're gonna gently caress his poo poo in about the type of troops, or how fast someone can march in a day. I'm not really talking about people on this board - I mean I get that especially between books, we tend to spiral too deep into the minutia. And we deserve that little bit of uh.. whatever you call it. But you can't ever take it too seriously, you know?

gently caress what do you call it when like someone is so goddamn deep into the canon that everytime Rick says something, there are a million loving posts about what it means. And there just isn't the resolution to zoom in any further. You can't CSI enhance your way to world building and background and ///

gently caress i forgot what I was writing about ok gently caress this im not drunk posting again

it's usually known as theorycrafting

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

TERFherder posted:

Pareidolia posted:

Pareidolia (/ˌpærɪˈdoʊliə, ˌpɛər-/;[1] also US: /ˌpɛəraɪ-/)[2] is the tendency for perception to impose a meaningful interpretation on a nebulous stimulus, usually visual, so that one sees an object, pattern, or meaning where there is none.

I mostly only know this word because of numerous people using it to explain an insane man on the internet called David Peters who's spent thirty years believing he can discover hidden bones and traces in fossils by putting low-res jpgs in photoshops and tracing on the stuff he imagines he can see if he squints.
In case it wasn't clear, he's an enormous pseudoscientist who presents himself as just a humble guy asking the tough questions....who also asserts his every 'discovery' as fiat and endlessly laments the elitist academics who ignore and cast doubt on his conclusions because they are profoundly wrong and probably corrupt.

Drakyn fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 6, 2023

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So did he make a New Years post?

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

уôðр ò шúурþòі úуûьúø

emanresu tnuocca posted:

it's usually known as theorycrafting

that seems more like when people try to get to the game mechanics behind the "story". Where there actually are hidden mechanics that run the games. This would be sort of the opposite direction, taking an existing mechanic ( doors are just walls with a "door.jpg" and non functional ) and trying to discover what the game designer "meant" in terms of plot development by making the doors that way. I guess what I'm talking about is just "reading too deep", but where it goes to an absurd level.

Drakyn posted:

I mostly only know this word because of numerous people using it to explain an insane man on the internet called David Peters who's spent thirty years believing he can discover hidden bones and traces in fossils by putting low-res jpgs in photoshops and tracing on the stuff he imagines he can see if he squints.
In case it wasn't clear, he's an enormous pseudoscientist who presents himself as just a humble guy asking the tough questions....who also asserts his every 'discovery' as fiat and endlessly laments the elitist academics who ignore and cast doubt on his conclusions because they are profoundly wrong and probably corrupt.

I'd totally read The Pterosaur Heresies if it was a scifi book about Dinosaurs that were exiled to earth for their heretical belief system. Or better yet it could be about dinosaurs that predicted the mass extinction, but were ridiculed so they altered their DNA to be warm blooded and now we have birds, or something. There could be a whole religion based on the cosmic spirit that would "warm them from within". This book writes itself!

But yeah - that is basically it. This seems close also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apophenia

It's basically constructing authors intent, when there wasn't any.

Platystemon posted:

"Oh, bleed that," the little man said. He pushed himself off the ledge into empty air. Jon gasped, then watched with awe as Tyrion Lannister spun around in a tight ball, landed lightly on his hands, then vaulted backward onto his legs.

yes, thank you. I feel this is one of the least talked about bits of character development in the book. Which is cool - we can let the author have some freedom to edit the story a bit as they go, right?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The identity of the Knight of the Laughing Tree has been confirmed.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
Whenever I hear about the "realness" of ASOIAF, I feel like people are talking about how full and tangible Westeros feels. It's hard to convey, but whenever I read Fantasy, even good Fantasy, I almost always picture the story in my mind as a cartoon or a painting. When I read ASOIAF, I picture it as real people. I can feel cuts and injuries, or taste the food, or feel the cold air or heat. I can feel the grime from a long journey or sweat-stained clothes sticking to skin. Sure, the scale and economics are off and I check out of the "well actually, in real Medieval days..." conversations, but out of any Fantasy story, ASOIAF is the one that feels the most real. There's push and pull between characters and factions.

I think it's why the show worked so well for the first few seasons. Everything had weight and tangibility, but as time went on, D&D's bad writing made the world feel more and more hollow while the books made it feel more full (to their own detriment, I'd argue). Meanwhile, other Fantasy stories seem to run into adaptation issues due to the way they tell their stories. I feel like I could explain these ideas better if I gave it a few more paragraphs, but I'm tired.

So, who's pre-ordering the 2024 calendar?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Check this out, they made a whole rear end show: https://www.hbo.com/game-of-thrones

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Pennsylvanian posted:

Whenever I hear about the "realness" of ASOIAF, I feel like people are talking about how full and tangible Westeros feels. It's hard to convey, but whenever I read Fantasy, even good Fantasy, I almost always picture the story in my mind as a cartoon or a painting. When I read ASOIAF, I picture it as real people. I can feel cuts and injuries, or taste the food, or feel the cold air or heat. I can feel the grime from a long journey or sweat-stained clothes sticking to skin. Sure, the scale and economics are off and I check out of the "well actually, in real Medieval days..." conversations, but out of any Fantasy story, ASOIAF is the one that feels the most real. There's push and pull between characters and factions.

I think it's why the show worked so well for the first few seasons. Everything had weight and tangibility, but as time went on, D&D's bad writing made the world feel more and more hollow while the books made it feel more full (to their own detriment, I'd argue). Meanwhile, other Fantasy stories seem to run into adaptation issues due to the way they tell their stories. I feel like I could explain these ideas better if I gave it a few more paragraphs, but I'm tired.

Nope. Story is garbage. I'm sure there's many other elderly pedophiles that makes books you could read.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I dunno about you guys, but I'm excited for D&D to ruin Three Body Problem.

I really hope we spend a season following a nerd and his perfect waifu.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Check this out, they made a whole rear end show: https://www.hbo.com/game-of-thrones

Yeah but the book and show canon differ.

In the book canon, Dany is the child of Rhaegar and Lyanna, brought to Starfall by Ned and swapped for Brandon and Ashara’s baby, Jon.

Arthur Dayne survived and became known as Qorin Halfhand. Rhaegar was allowed by Ned to take the black, deserted, and is now known as Mance Rayder.

Ashara is the Dusky Woman.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Platystemon posted:

In the book canon, Dany is the child of Rhaegar and Lyanna, brought to Starfall by Ned and swapped for Brandon and Ashara’s baby, Jon.

Arthur Dayne survived and became known as Qorin Halfhand. Rhaegar was allowed by Ned to take the black, deserted, and is now known as Mance Rayder.

None of it exists, tho i like this better

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Platystemon posted:

correct

can't wait for when TWOW comes out so we can all talk about how howland sent the pink letter to take jon through the weirwood portal to tell him the truth.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Pink Letter was written by the fat man whose plan changes every time the moon turns.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Trivia posted:

I dunno about you guys, but I'm excited for D&D to ruin Three Body Problem.

Holy poo poo these twerps got another book series to ruin? The world is so depressing

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Platystemon posted:

The Pink Letter was written by the fat man whose plan changes every time the moon turns.

Rothfuss?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Pennsylvanian posted:

Even in the first season every single addition by the producers was some trust fund baby poo poo-- the painted eyes on the rocks on Arryn's corpse, Theon in love with a prostitute, "play with her arse" sexposition. Basically whenever the show went off the books from moment one, it immediately betrayed who was actually making the show-- spoiled, indolent morons who didn't know poo poo. After the show lost Sean Bean I watched one episode of Season 2 and went "lol gently caress no."

And then of course even the books are just... trashy plotwise in a lot of places-- the incest bomb in chapter one, Dany's relationship to every man in her life, sexual assault as a way to underscore a situation as extra horrible and a "[sadly normal] thing that happens to women, but it's not approving so it's a good device to use!"

But yeah you're not wrong that GRRM does a decent job setting up the main locations as detailed enough to feel real, and the production team definitely translated that (until they no longer could because the writing was just that dogshit and production schedules are a gently caress).

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Pennsylvanian posted:

For me it was the rumors. I liked how the half-heard gossip travelled around Westeros, giving us glimpses of what people thought happened. It gave this sense of size and distance to the world. And I know it was done in other books, probably better too, but somehow it just worked for me

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Can someone recommend a book that has similar strengths to Asoiaf? A world that feels big, characters with flaws* and contradictions, a sense of mysteries and hidden motives that is engaging. Ideally one that is not in the "never finished" stage.

* Maybe not everyone needs to be a murderer / rapist / edgelord like in Asoiaf...

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

pidan posted:

Can someone recommend a book that has similar strengths to Asoiaf? A world that feels big, characters with flaws* and contradictions, a sense of mysteries and hidden motives that is engaging. Ideally one that is not in the "never finished" stage.

* Maybe not everyone needs to be a murderer / rapist / edgelord like in Asoiaf...

One of the inspirations for ASoIaF was Tad Williams Memory Sorrow and Thorn.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

pidan posted:

The Black Company. Specifically the first trilogy and the novella for The Silver Spike.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Remarkable that Black Company kept going for 7 more increasingly unreadable books after that.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

To be fair I think the narrative bones of the latter part of the Black Company series are pretty solid. Even Shadow Games and Dreams of Steel are decent to good in places. It really goes off the rails once Cook gets into The Books of Glittering Stone - the Vietnam allegory is just too heavy handed, the first person POV stuff isn't nearly as compelling, and there are too many resurrections/retreads of the villains from the first trilogy to keep things fresh despite the change in scenery. Cook very clearly either ran out of inspiration, couldn't bear to kill his darlings, or both (plus the whole stolen notes thing). Losing the shades of grey and defaulting to a typical good vs evil story hurt it a lot too. I will say that Croaker's ending is one of the my favorites in terms of feeling true to the character though.

Those first 3.5 books are still killer, although it would be a stretch to claim they have intrigue on the level of GOT. Goes without saying that I have no optimism at all for the Goyer-produced TV adaptation underway that is apparently stuck in development hell for the time being.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Lot of people really hate the way it’s written so keep that in mind. I liked it for the most part but poo poo just kinda happens with little fanfare. Which is part of its charm but it’s definitely not for everyone.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Guy A. Person posted:

Holy poo poo these twerps got another book series to ruin? The world is so depressing

At a certain point, people with enough wealth and/or connections just fail upwards by default.

pidan posted:

The Traitor Son Cycle series:
https://www.goodreads.com/series/87389-the-traitor-son-cycle

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

This looks like a lot of fun, thank you! I'm definitely in the mood for a legitimately medieval themed (:bahgawd:) fantasy so I'll check it out!

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

pidan posted:

This looks like a lot of fun, thank you! I'm definitely in the mood for a legitimately medieval themed (:bahgawd:) fantasy so I'll check it out!

I love Christian Cameron (who publishes as Miles Cameron for his fantasy/sci-fi) but I cannot say much good about this series. Compared to his (many, MANY) other works, everything about these just seems awkward. I dunno, maybe I'll reread it and like it better the second time around but as a big fan of almost all of his writing, I didn't like these at all.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.
Is the book coming out this year y/n?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Marijuana posted:

Rothfuss's? nah doubt it.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Marijuana posted:

At least three. The sixth and final book of his Chivalry historical fiction series (Captain of Venice), an unexpected seventh book in his Long War historical fiction series which I thought had completed, and the second book in his Age of Bronze fantasy series (Storming Heaven, which is about attacking and dethroning the gods). I think his second sci/fi book is supposed to come out some time this year too.

We are talking about Christian Cameron, right? He's not the best writer but he churns out pretty good content at an unbelievably fast rate.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Marijuana posted:

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Kylaer posted:

I love Christian Cameron (who publishes as Miles Cameron for his fantasy/sci-fi) but I cannot say much good about this series. Compared to his (many, MANY) other works, everything about these just seems awkward. I dunno, maybe I'll reread it and like it better the second time around but as a big fan of almost all of his writing, I didn't like these at all.

Same here, I thought his historical stuff was much better than the fantastical. The series linked is basically the full scenery trappings of the high medieval period in terms of dress, technology & tactics, and language. Just with magic stuff bolted on. Which is sort of entertaining as a thought experiment but gets a bit dull for me as the plot is eventually resolved by magical metaphysics rather than anything more relatable.

I also thought the first couple books were more grounded. They suffer from a D&D type inflation of the odds (in fact I'd bet money they are based on some sort of RPG experience) where the characters are desperately struggling against some quite cool monsters in book 1. Then by the end they are casually dispatching monsters left right and centre, laying waste to armies with magic and saving the world.

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

уôðр ò шúурþòі úуûьúø

Marijuana posted:

Penguinhouse actually has a pre-order on their site, I don't know if you can trust the date

edit: Abercrombie has a new trilogy out since last I looked: https://joeabercrombie.com/books/a-little-hatred/

TERFherder fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 18, 2023

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Genghis Cohen posted:

Same here, I thought his historical stuff was much better than the fantastical. The series linked is basically the full scenery trappings of the high medieval period in terms of dress, technology & tactics, and language. Just with magic stuff bolted on. Which is sort of entertaining as a thought experiment but gets a bit dull for me as the plot is eventually resolved by magical metaphysics rather than anything more relatable.

I also thought the first couple books were more grounded. They suffer from a D&D type inflation of the odds (in fact I'd bet money they are based on some sort of RPG experience) where the characters are desperately struggling against some quite cool monsters in book 1. Then by the end they are casually dispatching monsters left right and centre, laying waste to armies with magic and saving the world.

He wrote a completely unrelated fantasy trilogy more recently (book titles Cold Iron, Dark Forge, and Bright Steel) and it was much better than Traitor Son in my opinion. Still has a few flaws but overall I enjoyed it a lot. It's not similar to SoIaF though; it's very much a high fantasy setting in which magic is an everyday part of life. And he's written the first book of yet another completely unrelated fantasy series, which is inspired by the Bronze Age Collapse period of history, and it's also very good, but again it's definitely high fantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Genghis Cohen posted:

Tried to read a few of these and definitely felt the same way. The magic stuff didn't seem to entirely fit, and sometimes it wasn't clear clear what it could do or not, or why it was needed for the story. The more grounded stuff would have been stronger on its own.