Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Agents are GO! posted:

WHY

WHY ARE PEOPLE LIKE THIS

There's a reason that I believe that at least 20% of people are functionally illiterate.

I frequently get emails from cops requesting video footage for various investigations. It boggles my mind that these emails with no capitalization or punctuation, plenty of spelling errors, and creative grammar and syntax, are typed by the same people that are trying to solve murders and kidnappings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

The Zombie Guy posted:

I frequently get emails from cops requesting video footage for various investigations. It boggles my mind that these emails with no capitalization or punctuation, plenty of spelling errors, and creative grammar and syntax, are typed by the same people that are trying to solve murders and kidnappings.

To be fair solving crimes is only incidental to their job

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

tactlessbastard posted:

To be fair solving crimes is only incidental to their job

Internal investigations perhaps

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Escape From Noise posted:

The corporate structure of this place drives me nuts sometimes. Say I need to order thousands of dollars of materials from our regular supplier. No problem. Order whatever. Say I need a $60 part for a wonky pH meter. Well, I'm going to need to submit a request for permission to order the part that needs to be run up the chain of command and can take like a month to get permission to place the order. I keep forgetting to buy multiples of things because if it breaks I'm just sort of stuck unless I really rattle for it. But even then, a lot of tims there's no real workaround.

I said I needed a replacement probe for the pH meter back in November but nobody put in the paperwork and now they want a Berliner weisse, but without a working pH meter that's not very possible. Fortunately, it looks like the pH meter is sort of accurate after a long soak in storage liquid. I still told the restaurant manager to put in a request for an extra probe just in case. Don't want to be left high and dry again.

Oooooffff

If it makes you feel any better, my boys decided we needed a 2% fruited kettle sour with short notice. I’ve never done a kettle sour that lean, and it’s cowboy as gently caress right now. Brew boss volunteered to do second shift for double brew days this week, and I suspected he mostly had pints and shot fruit flies with his salt gun, because it was way oversparged, way below target OG and while he’d set up a CO2 slow bubble, he’d also shut off the air compressor, so all the air valves on the brewhouse closed.

Weirdly, it didn’t drop enough pH overnight, and now it’s oh no, we gotta do a Saturday brew. And by we I mean Shithouse Dave.

I also had to clean and calibrate the pH meter, cause it was left in a wort sample. No, we don’t have a spare.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

FW: FW: RE: Question

any thoughts?

(22 entry email chain with in-line comments and nested replies)

Thanks for the Agatha Christie novel worth of sleuthing to even determine the question, dick.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Shithouse Dave posted:

Oooooffff

If it makes you feel any better, my boys decided we needed a 2% fruited kettle sour with short notice. I’ve never done a kettle sour that lean, and it’s cowboy as gently caress right now. Brew boss volunteered to do second shift for double brew days this week, and I suspected he mostly had pints and shot fruit flies with his salt gun, because it was way oversparged, way below target OG and while he’d set up a CO2 slow bubble, he’d also shut off the air compressor, so all the air valves on the brewhouse closed.

Weirdly, it didn’t drop enough pH overnight, and now it’s oh no, we gotta do a Saturday brew. And by we I mean Shithouse Dave.

I also had to clean and calibrate the pH meter, cause it was left in a wort sample. No, we don’t have a spare.

That sounds rough. This is more of a dumb annoyance. I'm just glad the pH meter is workable enough for what I need. We're also only 500 liters, so at least that's a lot less pressure!

In better news, upper management finally realized offering Suntory The Malt's means putting my beer in direct competition with a macro in our own taproom. Their plan moving forward is for me to make a basic German pils (I'd love to do a Bohemian pils, but can't do decoction on my setup) and also do a basic Berliner weisse that they'll serve with syrups. There are a lot of other dumb little issues but this is at least a step in the right direction and aims to fix a foundational issue IMHO. So hopefully this gets things going towards a better working model.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Wait..Beer with Syrups?

You have to elaborate

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Wait..Beer with Syrups?

You have to elaborate

So, from my understanding it's a relatively new tradition in Berlin to serve Berliner weisse (wheat beer soured pre boil with lactobacillus) with flavored syrups (like the ones you'd use for Italian sodas). I'd imagine it kind of works because Berliner weisse has a semi sweet, tart flavor similar to fresh squeezed lemonade. You also see this with cheaper flavored lambics sometimes where young lambic beers are flavored with fruit syrup at bottling.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I'm planning to go back to the US for three weeks in April and there's a major craft beer event the last weekend in May so I'm going to need to prep for it before I leave. I was worried about that but I just found out our dry yeast supplier carries Kviek yeast so now I know I can make something really last minute if needed! :toot:

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

poo poo. Our usual supplier is completely out of noble hops. I guess one of our suppliers has some Saaz from 2019. I'm supposed to make a German Pilsner, so I may just have to go with a noble lineage hop like Sterling or Crystal.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

poo poo. Our usual supplier is completely out of noble hops. I guess one of our suppliers has some Saaz from 2019. I'm supposed to make a German Pilsner, so I may just have to go with a noble lineage hop like Sterling or Crystal.

Does fake it till you make it apply to hops?

Would anyone be able to tell if you substituted?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

champagne posting posted:

Does fake it till you make it apply to hops?

Would anyone be able to tell if you substituted?

Depends. There are alternatives. They won't taste EXACTLY the same, but it won't taste bad. Noble hops are harder to fake but there are some noble lineage hops that can work and some newer lager hops. If I was trying to make a Bohemian pilsner it'd probably be more difficult to work around.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Germans love mixing Helle / Weizen beers with fruit juices. I.e., Radler.
I really like a 50/50 Hefe with banana juice, very tasty.

The syrup thing sounds like an extension of that

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Manager speak is so confusing. They want fruit beers and I wanted to try to make a golden strong with pomegranate. I think getting that puree might have been difficult, which I understand, but they then asked for me to use a fruit that was "cuter". What the gently caress is a cute fruit??? The list from the manager so far includes: strawberries, cherries, blackcurrant, and mango. IDGI. They were fine with the idea when I pitched it but later the "cuteness" or lack thereof somehow became an issue.

Edit: Strawberry doesn't really work well in beer in my experience. It's too weak and gives off a plasticy flavor in the beers I've had with it.

Edit 2: I also pitched other fruit beers like a POG Berliner weisse and a cherry or raspberry blonde. I'll probably try guava Berliner in the summer if I can. So I'm not like stuck on doing high falootin' styles. I just got thought it'd be a good beer for a festival in May. Something high in alcohol that took some extra time. I just thought the hang up on that one fruit was weird.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 12, 2023

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Manager speak is so confusing. They want fruit beers and I wanted to try to make a golden strong with pomegranate. I think getting that puree might have been difficult, which I understand, but they then asked for me to use a fruit that was "cuter". What the gently caress is a cute fruit??? The list from the manager so far includes: strawberries, cherries, blackcurrant, and mango. IDGI. They were fine with the idea when I pitched it but later the "cuteness" or lack thereof somehow became an issue.

I feel like every graphic designer in the world just sighed in sympathy.

"I dunno, I think that font isn't really quite slick enough. And can you make the interface "pop" more?"

It's basically what happens when people have a vague idea what they want but don't have the terminology or technical experience necessary to describe what they want and end up falling back on using emotions as definitions which is as fuzzy and vague as it sounds when you need to create an actual physical product.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Tomn posted:

I feel like every graphic designer in the world just sighed in sympathy.

"I dunno, I think that font isn't really quite slick enough. And can you make the interface "pop" more?"

It's basically what happens when people have a vague idea what they want but don't have the terminology or technical experience necessary to describe what they want and end up falling back on using emotions as definitions which is as fuzzy and vague as it sounds when you need to create an actual physical product.

Yeah. Brewing for people who don't really know beer gets like that a lot.

The adjective I probably get most often when putting a recipe together or deciding on beers to put in the schedule for someone else that sounds like a guideline but is basically meaningless is "drinkable". I mean I guess that would make sense if we were discussing an imperial stout or something but...

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Pomegranate looks like weird egg clusters.

Use a nice, welcoming fruit. A big berry or stone fruit, rich in juice and sugar. Something you could put an anime face on and plaster all over stationery that you sell to school children.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I wish I could get my hands on some haskap. I think that'd be cool as hell to make something with.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Our main product that was leaving the factory at the end of the month had a part that was incorrectly cycle counted/inventoried by about 3500 units on 2000 unit reels (:lol:) and we ran out of it the night of the 10th. Earliest date for expediting that part is April.

So 1st shift tore down the permanent setup that has been set up for 22 years, last time it was set up fresh was 2 years ago, after the run finished. My buddy told me the pile of loose parts that got blown off that setup was... impressive lol. I believe it, when I worked on that setup on Monday every table had multiple feeders that were jamming any time you tried to pull them out or push them in and once you got a smooth slide it was obvious you just ground hella microscopic chips to dust.

My boss walked up behind me while I was backflushing some stuff in JD Edwards and asked me if it was February 24 yet (his last day) and I started laughing and said, "nah but it is already fuckin mid-January," and we both just kinda laughed and stared off into space for a minute.

Pocketed some soldered skip boards since I was working panel separation the first three hours. Now is the time to take souvenirs nobody is going to notice are missing.

This is all very weird.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 12, 2023

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

So, from my understanding it's a relatively new tradition in Berlin to serve Berliner weisse (wheat beer soured pre boil with lactobacillus) with flavored syrups (like the ones you'd use for Italian sodas). I'd imagine it kind of works because Berliner weisse has a semi sweet, tart flavor similar to fresh squeezed lemonade. You also see this with cheaper flavored lambics sometimes where young lambic beers are flavored with fruit syrup at bottling.

New tradition? I sometimes drank Weisse mit Schuss as a kid, nearly half a century ago, and it wasn't new back then.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Zopotantor posted:

New tradition? I sometimes drank Weisse mit Schuss as a kid, nearly half a century ago, and it wasn't new back then.

I meant like history of Germany new. Also I could be wrong.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
Dumb poo poo from work:

I'm in tertiary education, so polytech, university, that group. Currently there are about 12 different institutions renewing their union contracts and we all share the same union.

This time the big push is an 8% raise to help cover inflation and the fact that we had very small increases over covid, despite record student numbers. The first 8 institutions followed the same pattern:
1. Receive request for 8% raise
2. Reject and offer incredibly lowball response
3. Campus goes on strike
4. Release a statement to the press about now you can't believe the staff would do this to the students
5. Receive signed petition of support for the strike by 60-70% of the student body
6. Crumble and accept 8% payrise request.

So the institute I work for received the 8% request in December. They came back yesterday..... 3%.
Split over 2 years, so 1.5% a year.

Here we go again

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I didn't even knew it was a thing. I'm very close to Bavaria tho.

Brb, I'm off to Berlin, the Hauptstadt has lost its Way and needs to be reminded of the Reinheitsgebot

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

The corporate structure of this place drives me nuts sometimes. Say I need to order thousands of dollars of materials from our regular supplier. No problem. Order whatever. Say I need a $60 part for a wonky pH meter. Well, I'm going to need to submit a request for permission to order the part that needs to be run up the chain of command and can take like a month to get permission to place the order. I keep forgetting to buy multiples of things because if it breaks I'm just sort of stuck unless I really rattle for it. But even then, a lot of tims there's no real workaround.

I said I needed a replacement probe for the pH meter back in November but nobody put in the paperwork and now they want a Berliner weisse, but without a working pH meter that's not very possible. Fortunately, it looks like the pH meter is sort of accurate after a long soak in storage liquid. I still told the restaurant manager to put in a request for an extra probe just in case. Don't want to be left high and dry again.

Can you low key explain the situation to a sympathetic grunt level worker at one of your regular suppliers and see if they can source equipment? Ask them to source and add random equipment to your order and add a 10% handling fee.

carrionman posted:

Dumb poo poo from work:

Here we go again

Lol, the irony of educational institutions never learning.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 12, 2023

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
quote not edit

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I didn't even knew it was a thing. I'm very close to Bavaria tho.

Brb, I'm off to Berlin, the Hauptstadt has lost its Way and needs to be reminded of the Reinheitsgebot

Berliner weisse gets a special carve out in Reinheitsgebot along with gose I think because of historical significance and it being recognized as beer before science got in the way during one of the many updates due to scientific discoveries. The original law only allowed for water, hops, and barley malt.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Outrail posted:

Can you low key explain the situation to a sympathetic grunt level worker at one of your regular suppliers and see if they can source equipment? Ask them to source and add random equipment to your order and add a 10% handling fee.

Lol, the irony of educational institutions never learning.

I don't really think there's a workaround. Early on I was able to expedite getting a hydrometer and flask, but probably because they were sort of low tech.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Berliner weisse gets a special carve out in Reinheitsgebot along with gose I think because of historical significance and it being recognized as beer before science got in the way during one of the many updates due to scientific discoveries. The original law only allowed for water, hops, and barley malt.

Honestly I'm just memeing,i only rarely drink an IPA or a Radler to Dinner

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Apparently the lesson our CEO learned from the last two years of incredibly disrupted supply lines was to double down on just-in-time logistics and cut the entire factory's material storage from four weeks to one week.

Also the company had record revenue and profit last year but of course money is so tight that we can't talk about raises right now guys.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Shithouse Dave posted:

Oooooffff

I'm at least thankful that we've managed to deter managers from wanting to touch the brewhouse at the last few places I've worked at. I'd rather be in at 4AM finishing a kettle sour than cleaning up after a finance bro trying to operate the system. Especially the guy who came in at 4AM to get drunk and avoid his newborn kid.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
Was this the thread where brut IPA was being discussed because I miss that stuff, so dry!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

I don't really think there's a workaround. Early on I was able to expedite getting a hydrometer and flask, but probably because they were sort of low tech.

Eh, in that case, jump through the hoops and order two of everything you think you might need, hide them in a locker and don't tell anyone about it.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Agents are GO! posted:

WHY

WHY ARE PEOPLE LIKE THIS

There's a reason that I believe that at least 20% of people are functionally illiterate.

I think that is an optimistic estimate.

Bored fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 12, 2023

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

First of May posted:

FW: FW: RE: Question

any thoughts?

(22 entry email chain with in-line comments and nested replies)

Thanks for the Agatha Christie novel worth of sleuthing to even determine the question, dick.

My boss likes to do this, but then he will attach emails as well. Those have to be opened to get their attachments.

I get back from holiday break. He sends an
email "other pm dropped the ball, can you take over an easy project with short delivery time?" I can, and that's my job, so I say fine.

"Please see emails" and there's 10 attached .msg files. Some of them have attachments. Some are just mid-string replies. They all have the same filename.

It was due today. I finished it Friday but held onto it. Called client today to tell him it is ready, he's happy. Boss man calls "other pm dropped the ball, can you take over an easy project with short delivery time?"

...I put on my robe and wizard hat...

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

New ticket came in from my boss.

:agesilaus: Can you delete these files IUG?
:raise: No, these files are used by the Helpdesk very frequently. *Closes ticket*
:agesilaus: No they don’t, they use the web interface. *Reopen ticket *
:raise: No, these files are from the web interface, but saved after to save the busy work from being done again.
:agesilaus: Nope, they do everything from the web now.
:raise: Here’s a screenshot showing some made the new files less than two hours ago. It’s a Google Drive, so I can’t copy/paste.
:agesilaus: No they use the web interface exclusively. :-) [Yes he included the emoticon.]

Tired of this poo poo, I ask the guy who uses these files, and what his opinion was on them being deleted. He was not happy about that, he wasn’t even asked.

:raise: Coworker doesn’t want them removed, and uses these. Also, these files are on my Google Drive, and not shared with you. How are you accessing my files not shared with you?

For some reason, no response to my last question. His son works in the Helpdesk, so I’m guessing he used his account.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Same boss wanted to do today’s brew cause he feels like he’s out of practice. We open for lunch on Fridays, and he’s just overflowed the kettle on liquor back. lol

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Honestly I'm just memeing,i only rarely drink an IPA or a Radler to Dinner

drat it! I thought so but I couldn't sleep and was just posting through it.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Outrail posted:

Eh, in that case, jump through the hoops and order two of everything you think you might need, hide them in a locker and don't tell anyone about it.

Yeah. That's why I ordered two hydrometers.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

On the beer yeast subject: Kveik, not Kviek. You rarely see "ie" in Norwegian, but "ei" is a common diphthong that sounds much like the a in "late". It's northwest coast dialect for yeast. (It is related to "quick", though.)

Neat history, too: Historically, Norwegian farmers brewed a lot of beer. They originally stored their yeast in the same way as most historical brewers: The stick you used to stir the brew retained some yeast between batches, so when you got a decent beer you could just reuse the same equipment and get the same yeast "for free". Over time the brewers also designed more specialised tools for yeast retention - stirrers with more nooks, and eventually "beer wreaths"; complicated wooden chains with a lot of surface area and nooks for yeast residue to stick to. (Which sounds like the antithesis of modern brewing equipment...)

The kveik yeasts come from both surviving farm beer traditions and enthusiasts going around to little countryside museums and farms and sampling their old brewing equipment for yeast remains. Which was surprisingly successful, the equipment was apparently rather good at keeping yeast around for the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Computer viking posted:

On the beer yeast subject: Kveik, not Kviek. You rarely see "ie" in Norwegian, but "ei" is a common diphthong that sounds much like the a in "late". It's northwest coast dialect for yeast. (It is related to "quick", though.)

Neat history, too: Historically, Norwegian farmers brewed a lot of beer. They originally stored their yeast in the same way as most historical brewers: The stick you used to stir the brew retained some yeast between batches, so when you got a decent beer you could just reuse the same equipment and get the same yeast "for free". Over time the brewers also designed more specialised tools for yeast retention - stirrers with more nooks, and eventually "beer wreaths"; complicated wooden chains with a lot of surface area and nooks for yeast residue to stick to. (Which sounds like the antithesis of modern brewing equipment...)

The kveik yeasts come from both surviving farm beer traditions and enthusiasts going around to little countryside museums and farms and sampling their old brewing equipment for yeast remains. Which was surprisingly successful, the equipment was apparently rather good at keeping yeast around for the future.

drat it. Lol. Of course I'm writing it wrong!

Yeah. I read a tiny bit about it. I find that stuff really neat! I'd really like to try and find information on more traditional recipes made with the yeast. I'm sure they're varied like Wallonian saisons, but it'd be interesting to see common threads. Americans mostly just made IPA with it and I couldn't find much info through Google. I also want to get that book on Lithuanian farmhouse ales.