Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

King Hong Kong posted:

It always killed me that there was an airport in town that had a borderline business case for a route that would have reduced total travel time to like 2.5 hours.
Just get your own airplane :smug:

While trains are nice, how much is it going to help in the US if you still need a car to get around your destination? If you have to add in the cost and time of renting a car on the other end, it could make many train trips not worthwhile. I've taken some train trips around Italy and even then outside of bigger cities it was pretty borderline.

e: typo

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jan 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Partition the US into 200 vaguely connected petty baronies, duchies, kingdoms, etc. each with their own strict borders so no can drive for more than an hour without crossing at least three borders and paying tolls then make trains their own fief owned directly by the emperor and thus exempt from tolls.

This will ensure the return of trains as the dominant method of transportation and make the map a lot more interesting to look at

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

mobby_6kl posted:

Just get you own airplane :smug:

While trains are nice, how much is it going to help in the US if you still need a car to get around your destination? If you have to add in the cost and time of renting a car on the other end, it could make many train trips not worthwhile. I've taken some train trips around Italy and even then outside of bigger cities it was pretty borderline.
Yeah part of why I drive when going from NC to PA, despite there being a direct train that takes about the same amount of time, is because its somewhat expensive and I'd still need to rent a car when getting there because I just get dumped off in the middle of philly and need to drive about another hour to get to my destination.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Partition the US into 200 vaguely connected petty baronies, duchies, kingdoms, etc. each with their own strict borders so no can drive for more than an hour without crossing at least three borders and paying tolls then make trains their own fief owned directly by the emperor and thus exempt from tolls.

This will ensure the return of trains as the dominant method of transportation and make the map a lot more interesting to look at

Also make every billionaire a sovereign entity under the emperor, to get full HRE vibes.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

FreudianSlippers posted:

It's been tried. Perhaps more rectangles would have helped.

(this particular map chosen because lmao mormons)

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I applaud them on their patriotic color scheme, but too many previous maps have trained my eye and at first I thought large swathes of the country simply didn't have people of any age.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Happy 2004!

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

LOL the Villages.

Also, is there a university at the base of the Keeweenaw peninsula, and just all the profs live in the county at either end?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Albino Squirrel posted:

LOL the Villages.

Also, is there a university at the base of the Keeweenaw peninsula, and just all the profs live in the county at either end?

Two unis in the middle in Houghton and Hancock.

You can explain it with the same population dynamics as everywhere else, though, no need to invoke the universities. Cities are disproportionately young.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 12, 2023

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Albino Squirrel posted:

LOL the Villages.

The whole peninsula has a population of around 40,000 and there's a college in the middle with 7,000 students. The rest of the area is essentially rural logging since copper mining dried up. So unironically, yes.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Youremother posted:

Happy 2004!

I remember this version:

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Yeah but now those maps have to make an exclave for Georgia.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Usually New Mexico and Colorado also stand out, and I think Arizona has been sliding towards the dems (and the republicans seem to have been doing their best to push it that way).

Dumbfuckistan is 2004.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

SlothfulCobra posted:

Usually New Mexico and Colorado also stand out, and I think Arizona has been sliding towards the dems (and the republicans seem to have been doing their best to push it that way).
North Carolina is in a weird spot where it elected a Dem governor but has a hard time electing Dems to congress (hello Gerrymandering) or senate, but its been sliding more to the left so I think the best thing for the map would be a Georgia + NC enclave with an SC enclave being part of jesusland within it.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

Dumbfuckistan is 2004.

its funny because blackwell 100% cooked ohios election that year

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

State level politics are dumb. Stuff like urban/rural divides, difference in income and education and voter suppression are much more relevant. As per every dumb blue cities/red country map that comes up every election (with different colours for different countries).

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

BonHair posted:

State level politics are dumb. Stuff like urban/rural divides, difference in income and education and voter suppression are much more relevant. As per every dumb blue cities/red country map that comes up every election (with different colours for different countries).

Yeah that's also true. The "red state blue state" thing is dumb and leads to a lot of 'jokes' that lead to a lot of people with racist beliefs about "people from [state]". I mean even beyond stereotyping people is dumb, and especially especially for stereotypes that are based on the difference between like 40% and 60% of the population voting for a certain thing. Even if you go to rural Kentucky or whatever you'll still find like 30% of people are not chuds. I always used to say I was from the south (I am technically, but have lived now in Europe most of my life) and I could always just immediately write off anyone I met as a party who was like "hurr the south, u like guns and bibles" as an idiot.

e: It happens a lot less now, I don't know if because I'm no longer a teenager/20s something, or if people are just less likely to say racist stereotype bullshit as compared to 20 years ago.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jan 13, 2023

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Saladman posted:

Yeah that's also true. The "red state blue state" thing is dumb and leads to a lot of 'jokes' that lead to a lot of people with racist beliefs about "people from [state]". I mean even beyond stereotyping people is dumb, and especially especially for stereotypes that are based on the difference between like 40% and 60% of the population voting for a certain thing. Even if you go to rural Kentucky or whatever you'll still find like 30% of people are not chuds. I always used to say I was from the south (I am technically, but have lived now in Europe most of my life) and I could always just immediately write off anyone I met as a party who was like "hurr the south, u like guns and bibles" as an idiot not worth talking to, exactly like the people who say "ur asian, u must kung fu lolll".

It happens a lot less now, I don't know if because I'm no longer a teenager/20s something, or if people are just less likely to say racist stereotype bullshit as compared to 20 years ago.

"Indiana is the south"

No, imagined friend, it's just equal opportunity bullshit. The midwest can be racist too. Or it's all the south. Orange County is the south. Portland is the south, in fact probably more southern than the actual southern US. Québec is the most southernly place on the north american continent.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Québec is the most southernly place on the north american continent.

The Québecois are more French than the French, to the point where they insist on even using French on their stop signs (whilst the rest of the Francophonie are fine with English). I imagine there are boomers who angrily shout on Facebook "POURQUOI DOIS-JE APPUYER UN POUR FRANCAIS?"

TinTower fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 12, 2023

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

"Indiana is the south"

You ever been to Southern Indiana?

Your overall point is well-taken, but Southern Indiana is pretty drat "Southern" in the traditional American regional sense. Hell, Indiana had the largest chapter of the Second KKK of any state in the country at the time.

Southern Illinois was much the same. Cairo is/was culturally much close to the Deep South than to Chicago.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

In the parallel universe where south-at-top maps are the norm, political cartoonists always have the easy option of showing Cuba as an arm holding something up on a silver platter. (Not entirely sure what that something would be, but that's probably one of the reasons I'm not a political cartoonist.)

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Always appreciate how whale shaped the upside down US is

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Judgy Fucker posted:

You ever been to Southern Indiana?

Your overall point is well-taken, but Southern Indiana is pretty drat "Southern" in the traditional American regional sense. Hell, Indiana had the largest chapter of the Second KKK of any state in the country at the time.

Southern Illinois was much the same. Cairo is/was culturally much close to the Deep South than to Chicago.

My dad grew up in Muncie and he used to call it "the world's only above-ground hole".

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

TinTower posted:

The Québecois are more French than the French, to the point where they insist on even using French on their stop signs (whilst the rest of the Francophonie are fine with English). I imagine there are boomers who angrily shout on Facebook "POURQUOI DOIS-JE APPUYER UN POUR FRANCAIS?"

His name is Jean-Charles Pierre-Jean Adam Benjamin-Francois de la Chaudière, pronounced "tabarnak," and he does not appreciate your mockery.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I've always admired the Québécois for successfully safeguarding their language and culture amidst a sea of Anglos, and I can't really fault them for the measures they've taken. Moreover, I can definitely see some historical parallels with Flanders, not just in terms of gradual linguistic emancipation but also as regards the whole Quiet Revolution more generally, in the way that it drastically transformed and secularized Québec's society. Within the same time frame, a similar evolution happened in Flanders to end the age-old domination of the Catholic Church.

You could even compare Brussels to Montreal, although the former is far more Frenchified than the latter is Anglified, and Brussels isn't a part of Flanders politically. Okay, so the comparison isn't perfect.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Powered Descent posted:

In the parallel universe where south-at-top maps are the norm, political cartoonists always have the easy option of showing Cuba as an arm holding something up on a silver platter. (Not entirely sure what that something would be, but that's probably one of the reasons I'm not a political cartoonist.)

DEBT

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

TinTower posted:

wait french stop signs are in english? Why?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Because all stop signs in the EU are in English.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vienna_Convention_on_Road_Signs_and_Signals

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Then there's the special case of Dutch (and possibly other Germanic languages) where stop (the imperative form of the verb stoppen) is already a perfectly acceptable word, so the signs can be said to be in both English and the local language.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

same reason everyone washes their hair with le shampooing

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I actually took a map of that from a Half as Interesting video a while back.

English really lucked out at ending up as the default lingua franca of the modern world, since so many current international standards were developed after World War 2 during the height of American world influence. Road signs, language of air traffic, and then America also wound up being the place where most modern programming languages were born, so English is the default language of most computer science around the world.

Phlegmish posted:

I've always admired the Québécois for successfully safeguarding their language and culture amidst a sea of Anglos, and I can't really fault them for the measures they've taken. Moreover, I can definitely see some historical parallels with Flanders, not just in terms of gradual linguistic emancipation but also as regards the whole Quiet Revolution more generally, in the way that it drastically transformed and secularized Québec's society. Within the same time frame, a similar evolution happened in Flanders to end the age-old domination of the Catholic Church.

You could even compare Brussels to Montreal, although the former is far more Frenchified than the latter is Anglified, and Brussels isn't a part of Flanders politically. Okay, so the comparison isn't perfect.

I've heard that there's a lot of weird political issues that get formed out of the friction over that, and Quebec ending up with disproportional power within the Canadian political system relative to its population, but I don't really pay enough attention to Canadian politics to know the nuances. There's also some allegations about their hostility towards English making them doubly hostile towards foreigners.

There was some kind of trouble at one point over Quebec trying to assert french language aviation over its airspace at some point as well.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

I've heard that there's a lot of weird political issues that get formed out of the friction over that, and Quebec ending up with disproportional power within the Canadian political system relative to its population, but I don't really pay enough attention to Canadian politics to know the nuances. There's also some allegations about their hostility towards English making them doubly hostile towards foreigners.

There was some kind of trouble at one point over Quebec trying to assert french language aviation over its airspace at some point as well.

Well, there was that infamous quote by Jacques Parizeau after the failed 1995 independence referendum, where he blamed the sovereigntists' defeat on "money and the ethnic vote". Overall, though, I don't think it's fair to make the Québécois out to be xenophobes or anything like that, it's a simple matter of self-preservation. The reason that Anglo-Canadians haven't taken similar measures isn't that they're paragons of tolerance, it's that there is no conceivable threat to the position of English, which is crushingly sociologically dominant across North America.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Stop signs in France being in English predate the Vienna Convention, so it’s probably “we copied the Yanks/Brits when we started importing cars on a mass scale to need signage”.

Which is why the OQLF are fine with stop signs saying either STOP or ARRÊT, which says something given how infamously strict they are about anglicisms.

Phlegmish posted:

Well, there was that infamous quote by Jacques Parizeau after the failed 1995 independence referendum, where he blamed the sovereigntists' defeat on "money and the ethnic vote". Overall, though, I don't think it's fair to make the Québécois out to be xenophobes or anything like that, it's a simple matter of self-preservation.

There’s also the whole “civic nationalism is still nationalism” thing other autonomy/independence movements in developed nations have problems with from time to time.

For example, a massive argument in Scottish independence discourse is what constitutes a Scot: is it someone who was born in Scotland or someone who makes their home in Scotland?

Of course, the people who stick to the former definition are also the types who complain the most about Scotland being a colony on the level of the Belgian Congo. And recently, rather strangely, also the ones who want the Tories to take a hammer to Scottish democracy because trans people give them the ick.

TinTower fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 13, 2023

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Phlegmish posted:

Well, there was that infamous quote by Jacques Parizeau after the failed 1995 independence referendum, where he blamed the sovereigntists' defeat on "money and the ethnic vote". Overall, though, I don't think it's fair to make the Québécois out to be xenophobes or anything like that, it's a simple matter of self-preservation. The reason that Anglo-Canadians haven't taken similar measures isn't that they're paragons of tolerance, it's that there is no conceivable threat to the position of English, which is crushingly sociologically dominant across North America.

Once upon a time the whole drat place was anglophone by force of arms.

Today it's aggressively both, and all you have to do is the polite bonjour-hello. Nobody will get angry at not speaking french.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The water speaks English.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Goddamn Anglo mermen

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Actually stop signs are danish in France

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The French are just southern Danes if you think about it.

(Can't count, slur their words, day drunk racists who go around on bikes, deathgrip on vestiges of colonial power)