Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
is Odyssey's combat bad for a dragon quest-like, or is it simply on par with ie. dragon quest XI but many western modern rpg enjoyers think DQXI's combat is serviceable at best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The common complaint is that it's shallow and easy

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Well, from what I can see so far, it's a very beautiful game. As long as it has One Piece fan service like this:

This:

And this:

Then I'm happy.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, I mean, it's a Shonen Jump game, I wasn't expecting it to be a 10/10 blockbuster.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Holy poo poo they have Franky's insta-stairs?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Countblanc posted:

is Odyssey's combat bad for a dragon quest-like, or is it simply on par with ie. dragon quest XI but many western modern rpg enjoyers think DQXI's combat is serviceable at best

Sometimes serviceable at best is all a game needs. Especially when its an rpg. The greatest genre of video game.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Honestly, I have never once in my life cared about a JRPG having "challenging" combat. Especially with a licensed game like this, as long as it's not incredibly boring or broken it's ahead of most of them.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Begemot posted:

Honestly, I have never once in my life cared about a JRPG having "challenging" combat. Especially with a licensed game like this, as long as it's not incredibly boring or broken it's ahead of most of them.

i didn't say challenging though

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
basically as long as the main verb in a game is fun i'm happy, so like if there isn't much combat i don't really care. but if theres a lot of combat and it's also not very fun that's bad.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I plan to snag it in a few months when it's inevitably on sale

Just like PW 3, 4, and that real bad one I forget the name of

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

No Wave posted:

They're just so interesting. I like MADS so much that I want the stussy looking figure to be a misdirection and it's actually my favorite character kureha dressing inappropriately for 70.

My guess is it's Sanji's mom. She has the same name as the inventor from the comic and synthesized a drug to make her kids human. Seems pretty smart.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
The thing that gets me about Zoro is that to this day, people still call him 'Pirate Hunter Zoro'. He's the first mate of one of the fastest-rising pirates in the world (who's now officially an emperor) and people still go 'yeah, but you know what was really memorable? That time when he was a bounty hunter'.

He was nineteen when Luffy recruited him, in a backwater sea widely reputed to be the weakest of all the seas. What the hell did he do during his previous career that people are still talking about it to this day, even after everything else he's done?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

sounds cooler than "swordsman pirate zolo"

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Countblanc posted:

is Odyssey's combat ... a dragon quest-like ...

Dragon's Son's Quest!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Inadequately posted:

He was nineteen when Luffy recruited him, in a backwater sea widely reputed to be the weakest of all the seas. What the hell did he do during his previous career that people are still talking about it to this day, even after everything else he's done?

Hunted Pirates? Seems pretty clear

The Straw Hats primarily target pirates anyway. I can see the name sticking.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
zoros like the only swordsman who uses three sword style so why isnt he called 'three blades' zoro instead

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

They should call him the durag swordsman. Also Sanji should get some of Ivas hormones and live his best life as a lesbian chef

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

They keep calling Robin "Demon Child" when she's like 30.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Played about 5 hours and had to force myself to stop. It's serviceable at best in terms of combat but it looks gorgeous and it has all the charm of One Piece so far (i.e a whole loving lot) and I'm having a drat good time. Also has some surprising moments that hit harder than expected, like in Chapter 2 when Luffy has a brief pause to collect himself when he meets Ace again.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Inadequately posted:

The thing that gets me about Zoro is that to this day, people still call him 'Pirate Hunter Zoro'. He's the first mate of one of the fastest-rising pirates in the world (who's now officially an emperor) and people still go 'yeah, but you know what was really memorable? That time when he was a bounty hunter'.

It really drives home the importance of your first moniker cause that's the one that'll stick.

No matter how strong Chopper gets he'll always be Cotton Candy.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Which makes Eustass "Captain" Kid all the more hilarious cause his moniker is just his job title.

(I assume it's cause his Captain is literally just Captain in English in the JP version.)

(And also because he's inspired by Captain Kidd.)

ZepiaEltnamOberon fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jan 13, 2023

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

My face whenever I read a new chapter.

Agreed. I could see the combat being mediocre if you're not already a fan of One Piece, but it's a real treat for One Piece fans.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jan 13, 2023

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Odyssey having speedup/autobattle like DQXI makes this a tempting £20 purchase in like 6 months time

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I really like the cross hatch effect used on a lot of the surface textures. It gives it a feeling like the environment was drawn in the manga.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Return the slaaaab. Return the slab or suffer my cuuuuurse.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Slab...of meat??

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Return the slaaaab. Return the slab or suffer my cuuuuurse.

the man in gauze, the man in gauze

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Odyssey: it should be annoying how the game seems to force you onward to the main objective when you try to go a different way, but Zoro et al keep chiming in "no, this is actually the right way" so it becomes amazing instead. :allears:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm not a JRPG person, but this seems charming enough to get on sale.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

I mean Mihawk is way more goth than zolo

Zoro is missing an eye, for what it's worth

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I just started playing Odyssey. Apparently Luffy starts out at level 40 before he gets his stats obliterated.

Those resistances. :allears:

E: I think Charm should be 100 unless it has to do with meat, then it's -infinity.

Luffy got easily hypnotized by Jango though. Granted that might be the reason for -Confuse.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
The music is also strangely pretty good in Odyssey. A bit overly bombastic in Nonahara, but otherwise good overall.

E: Also, the Kung-fu Dewgongs are goddamn adorable, especially with the gatling attack they throw out.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 13, 2023

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

With a Capital G (remoursefully)

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
is vegapunk perospero's dad

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I hope so

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Does Vegapunk Vegafuck?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Yes, but only a few times for research.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Waffleman_ posted:

Does Vegapunk Vegafuck?

He's a one-man gang bang crew. Of course he Vegafucks.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
I think Perospero is only like 10 years younger than Vegapunk so no I guess big tongues are just a thing that happen in this world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Waffleman_ posted:

Does Vegapunk Vegafuck?

he gives amazing head